Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Eustace new assistant manager 12:04 - May 25 with 17354 viewsrsonist

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/john-eustace-named-qpr-assistant-manager/

Sounds like the right sort. Very Brummie accent. Has had a hair transplant.
[Post edited 25 May 2018 12:05]
John Eustace new assistant manager on 09:37 - May 26 with 2958 viewsEsox_Lucius

John Eustace new assistant manager on 01:14 - May 26 by timcocking

It'll be a shame if Bircham goes imo, i like having him.

I'm somewhat suspicious of men who have hair transplants. That is a helluva lot of vanity, not a trait i greatly admire in blokes.

Bircham dying his hair blue? Irony?

The grass is always greener.

John Eustace new assistant manager on 10:51 - May 26 with 2837 viewsMick_S

John Eustace new assistant manager on 20:13 - May 25 by FDC

I don't know what you mean. Capturing this lovely, natural moment when McClaten took time out to lean against the goal post shows great talent imo.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

John Eustace new assistant manager on 11:24 - May 26 with 2794 viewsPunteR

John Eustace new assistant manager on 09:30 - May 26 by loneranger1

Am also keen for Birch to stay - think he could be very useful as a kind of bridge between the Ollie's regime and the new one... I guess the question mark would be if his loyalty to Ollie would undermin McLaren.
Think his closeness to some of the players in that arm-round-the-shoulder at the end of games kind of way could be worth holding on to with this young squad - and being kept on would also give him a great chance to keep learning as a coach.

I cant see Bircham staying. He was part of what QPR were trying to do when they employed Holloway. Bring in QPR men that love the club to please the fans. That thinking has obviously changed now with the appointment of McClaren.
I cant see Mclaren or even Eustace wanting Bircham around unless they think he is a really good coach.
Having said that i do think Bircham should stay. I think we still need QPR people in the set up. Managers and assistant managers will come and go over the next few years and keeping a core of good , honest ,hardworking QPR people around the place will help with continuity. I think we've struggled because of the chopping and changing of players and managers all the time and we havnt developed an identity or playing style. I think Birchams enthusiasm for the club is irreplaceable and shouldnt be underestimated to how it helps the club going forward.
One of the things missing from our teams since TF turned up is a proper identity. To me we've always been a small club punching above our weight. A team with an edge to it. We've always had no nonsense players. Players like Fenwick, Mcdonald,Ainsworth, Rowlands, Hill, Derry. A touch of class like Wilkins, Buzsaky and Faurlin. Flair players like Bowles, Wegerle, Taarabt being added to the mix has always gone well with the fans. Warnocks management suited our club. To my mind we need to stick with that principle of a small club punching above our weight. We need some swagger back.
You cant coach swagger into players. Swagger comes from the attitude of a player but most importantly comes from an attitude that's woven into the fabric of a club. Hence thats why you need people who know and understand what QPR are about, who love the club despite its flaws.
I think Bircham fits that mould.
Bircham in.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

John Eustace new assistant manager on 11:46 - May 26 with 2763 viewsloneranger1

John Eustace new assistant manager on 11:24 - May 26 by PunteR

I cant see Bircham staying. He was part of what QPR were trying to do when they employed Holloway. Bring in QPR men that love the club to please the fans. That thinking has obviously changed now with the appointment of McClaren.
I cant see Mclaren or even Eustace wanting Bircham around unless they think he is a really good coach.
Having said that i do think Bircham should stay. I think we still need QPR people in the set up. Managers and assistant managers will come and go over the next few years and keeping a core of good , honest ,hardworking QPR people around the place will help with continuity. I think we've struggled because of the chopping and changing of players and managers all the time and we havnt developed an identity or playing style. I think Birchams enthusiasm for the club is irreplaceable and shouldnt be underestimated to how it helps the club going forward.
One of the things missing from our teams since TF turned up is a proper identity. To me we've always been a small club punching above our weight. A team with an edge to it. We've always had no nonsense players. Players like Fenwick, Mcdonald,Ainsworth, Rowlands, Hill, Derry. A touch of class like Wilkins, Buzsaky and Faurlin. Flair players like Bowles, Wegerle, Taarabt being added to the mix has always gone well with the fans. Warnocks management suited our club. To my mind we need to stick with that principle of a small club punching above our weight. We need some swagger back.
You cant coach swagger into players. Swagger comes from the attitude of a player but most importantly comes from an attitude that's woven into the fabric of a club. Hence thats why you need people who know and understand what QPR are about, who love the club despite its flaws.
Bircham in.

Very nicely put!
Probably not going to happen but will keep fingers crossed for BIrch to stay...
John Eustace new assistant manager on 12:50 - May 26 with 2687 viewsGloryHunter

John Eustace was an unused substitute for Derby in the play-off final.
John Eustace new assistant manager on 13:58 - May 26 with 2603 viewsrsonist

Bircham in.

Think it's a little reductive on both sides to call this a shift from populism to... what, technocracy? Competence?

But "I cant see Mclaren or even Eustace wanting Bircham around unless they think he is a really good coach" - would you really want Birch around if he wasn't capable at his job? And in that case wouldn't keeping him around as glorified cheerleader not only be an insult to him but to the idea of what a club identity is and how it comes to be?
John Eustace new assistant manager on 14:13 - May 26 with 2583 viewsrsonist

The question of what club identity is and how it might be passed on is also particularly interesting in the wake of the recent live podcast - we all love Derry Hill Kev (just like we love Ollie and Birch) and consider them to be the fabric of the club but the biases and blind spots and sometimes outright hypocrisy wrt Adel and Barton were striking to many. I don't know what the answer is other than to say it's always a much more complicated and nuanced thing than people tend to acknowledge.
John Eustace new assistant manager on 14:24 - May 26 with 2553 viewsBoston

John Eustace new assistant manager on 08:47 - May 26 by Dorse

Seamless

I'm sorry, but could you explain what's going on with Travolta's head, has he had a whole body transplant?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

John Eustace new assistant manager on 14:25 - May 26 with 2552 viewsPunteR

John Eustace new assistant manager on 13:58 - May 26 by rsonist

Think it's a little reductive on both sides to call this a shift from populism to... what, technocracy? Competence?

But "I cant see Mclaren or even Eustace wanting Bircham around unless they think he is a really good coach" - would you really want Birch around if he wasn't capable at his job? And in that case wouldn't keeping him around as glorified cheerleader not only be an insult to him but to the idea of what a club identity is and how it comes to be?

I'm not saying Bircham isnt a good coach, in fact we've seen improvements in players this season which points to him and the coaching methods being good. I dont know what he's like on the training pitch.
I'm just saying there are merits to Bircham staying because he's a QPR fan as well as a coach which may get overlooked.
I didnt say anything about him being a glorified cheerleader at all, i just think supporting QPR is an added bonus which helps with the working environment on the training ground.
Like i said enthusiasm for a football club maybe underestimated in terms of what you can get out of players.
Its just a thought.
[Post edited 27 May 2018 0:37]

John Eustace new assistant manager on 14:30 - May 26 with 2535 viewsQPR_John

Bircham in.

"One of the things missing from our teams since TF turned up is a proper identity."

And our identity immediately before Fernandez was?
John Eustace new assistant manager on 14:35 - May 26 with 2525 viewsWrightUp5hit___

John Eustace new assistant manager on 14:24 - May 26 by Boston

I'm sorry, but could you explain what's going on with Travolta's head, has he had a whole body transplant?

John Eustace new assistant manager on 14:37 - May 26 with 2519 viewsPunteR

John Eustace new assistant manager on 14:30 - May 26 by QPR_John

"One of the things missing from our teams since TF turned up is a proper identity."

And our identity immediately before Fernandez was?

The warnock team. Which had all the elements that make a good QPR team. I dont need to spell that out do i. ? We all knew the 1st 11 and they knew their roles in the team. I think we had an identity in that season. The owners also had a 4 year plan.
If you look at QPRs most successful teams they all have the qualities ive suggested in the previous post.
Yes the Briatore, Ecclestone era wasnt good either. In fact they actively tried to strip QPR of our identity and force the boutique club thing on us. Paladinni removed QPR people from the club which sort of highlights my point of having QPR people kept at the club.
TF has been here 8 years, he's spent 10 times the amount as Briatore and Ecclestone and probably as many players and yet we still hadnt improved or have a solid spine of a team. His manager choices have been really inconsistent as is the direction of the club. We do look like we're starting to get back on track and i think McClaren and Eustace will be good(i hope) . I just dont think we should just bin the previous idea of having coaching staff that love the club and are QPR legends in their own right.
[Post edited 27 May 2018 0:42]

John Eustace new assistant manager on 14:38 - May 26 with 2514 viewsMick_S

John Eustace new assistant manager on 14:35 - May 26 by WrightUp5hit___

He's changed a bit lately, you know.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

John Eustace new assistant manager on 00:27 - May 27 with 2293 viewsCiderwithRsie

Bircham in.

"He was part of what QPR were trying to do when they employed Holloway. Bring in QPR men that love the club to please the fans. That thinking has obviously changed now with the appointment of McClaren."

Has it really? One man has left. Penrice, Ferdinand and Sinton are all still in jobs and I can't see why any of them need to move just because McClaren has come in. Bircham might be different, might not.

None of the other staff have a previous QPR connection - well, apart from McClaren. Birch of course was a coach and even caretaker manager at Rangers back in 2009-14, up to 7 years before Holloway's return, when he stayed while Magilton, Hart, Warnock and Hughes came and went so I don't see that his job has to depend on Holloway.
John Eustace new assistant manager on 00:47 - May 27 with 2274 viewsPunteR

John Eustace new assistant manager on 00:27 - May 27 by CiderwithRsie

"He was part of what QPR were trying to do when they employed Holloway. Bring in QPR men that love the club to please the fans. That thinking has obviously changed now with the appointment of McClaren."

Has it really? One man has left. Penrice, Ferdinand and Sinton are all still in jobs and I can't see why any of them need to move just because McClaren has come in. Bircham might be different, might not.

None of the other staff have a previous QPR connection - well, apart from McClaren. Birch of course was a coach and even caretaker manager at Rangers back in 2009-14, up to 7 years before Holloway's return, when he stayed while Magilton, Hart, Warnock and Hughes came and went so I don't see that his job has to depend on Holloway.

They employed Holloway and Bircham because they embodied the old QPR. Yes or no?
Yes i know we still have QPR people in place which is good and i hope it stays that way. I wàs talking specificly about on the training pitch and trying to make a case for Bircham to stay. :)
[Post edited 27 May 2018 1:06]

John Eustace new assistant manager on 01:54 - May 27 with 2243 viewstimcocking

John Eustace new assistant manager on 12:58 - May 25 by Esox_Lucius

All promising portents for good football, the proof will be in the matches ahead. With more backroom staff to be appointed I wonder who will be leaving from the old set up, hopefully not Ramsey, Hall or Furlong. Based on the quality of our goalkeepers I would like to see Gavin Ward stay too.

Whoever is in charge of our keepers deserves a medal...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024