Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Experienced' Centre Back 13:33 - May 25 with 7087 viewsPinnerPaul

Seems to be universally accepted that we need one of these old/experienced/past it/overpaid/slow/veterans - whatever you want to call them

Sooooooo who is going to be

I'll kick off with a couple to get you to bite!

James Collins - Just released by Laurel & Hardy at West Ham

Richard Keogh - You just know that SMc will sign one or two 'old boys' - most managers do sign former players

Any more suggestions to get everyone's heart rate up?
'Experienced' Centre Back on 13:36 - May 25 with 4492 viewsessextaxiboy

Matt Connolly ?
'Experienced' Centre Back on 13:42 - May 25 with 4467 viewsDejR_vu

'Experienced' Centre Back on 13:36 - May 25 by essextaxiboy

Matt Connolly ?

Pretty much guaranteed promotion. He can't help it, happens to him all the time, even when he's not playing. Just being here should do it.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

'Experienced' Centre Back on 13:42 - May 25 with 4466 viewsNorthernr

Firstly, doesn't necessarily need to be experienced, because Lynch and Baptiste are experienced, they just need to be good, because Lynch and Baptiste aren't very good.

Secondly, if those two useless old fcking dogs are the best/only options we are absolutely bang in trouble.
'Experienced' Centre Back on 13:54 - May 25 with 4423 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Happily spend another five years in the football league if it means giving a 19 year old a chance rather than paying some disinterested former name a pension.

More about the process than the results for me.

As for Connolly, big fan but he fcking bottled it v Forest that day in our promotion year. Spewed up everywhere in a fit of nerves in front of 15,000 people.
[Post edited 25 May 2018 13:55]
'Experienced' Centre Back on 14:36 - May 25 with 4317 viewsGalileo

Eustace may have some input now he's on board.
As some have said experience in not always the answer.
An up and coming 23yo with 100 or so games under their belt can be equally effective and mostly cheaper in the long run ( lower wages / sell on fee etc)
Neither Darren Peacock nor Andy Tillson had any issues stepping up a couple of divisions when recruited by Bobby Gould.
'Experienced' Centre Back on 15:37 - May 25 with 4193 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

'Experienced' Centre Back on 16:45 - May 25 with 4092 viewsBostonR

Bring in the two PNE lads - they were magnificent against us.
'Experienced' Centre Back on 17:10 - May 25 with 4048 viewsPinnerPaul

'Experienced' Centre Back on 13:42 - May 25 by Northernr

Firstly, doesn't necessarily need to be experienced, because Lynch and Baptiste are experienced, they just need to be good, because Lynch and Baptiste aren't very good.

Secondly, if those two useless old fcking dogs are the best/only options we are absolutely bang in trouble.

As you know Clive, Good + Not old = expensive, so think the best we can hope for is old and used to be good!
Login to get fewer ads

'Experienced' Centre Back on 17:12 - May 25 with 4042 viewsNorthernr

'Experienced' Centre Back on 17:10 - May 25 by PinnerPaul

As you know Clive, Good + Not old = expensive, so think the best we can hope for is old and used to be good!

Scowen was good + not old and was free. It can be done, particularly at centre half. Forwards and quality at that end of the field is a different story but not at centre half.
'Experienced' Centre Back on 17:15 - May 25 with 4036 viewsPinnerPaul

'Experienced' Centre Back on 17:12 - May 25 by Northernr

Scowen was good + not old and was free. It can be done, particularly at centre half. Forwards and quality at that end of the field is a different story but not at centre half.

Lets hope you're right!
'Experienced' Centre Back on 22:27 - May 25 with 3861 viewsEsox_Lucius

Now that Wolves have been promoted and Cody & Boly were the first choice CB's last season I wonder if we could get Danny Batth at the right price? He is only 27 and from my memory of seeing him play he is very much in the Ryan Nelson, Clint Hill school of dominant CB's with a lot of experience in the top levels.

The grass is always greener.

'Experienced' Centre Back on 22:31 - May 25 with 3854 viewsLblock

'Experienced' Centre Back on 14:36 - May 25 by Galileo

Eustace may have some input now he's on board.
As some have said experience in not always the answer.
An up and coming 23yo with 100 or so games under their belt can be equally effective and mostly cheaper in the long run ( lower wages / sell on fee etc)
Neither Darren Peacock nor Andy Tillson had any issues stepping up a couple of divisions when recruited by Bobby Gould.

Andy Tillson

Still one of the most under appreciated, under used and under sung centre backs ever
He was a poor man’s Alan Hansen
Pure silk

Loved the geezer

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

'Experienced' Centre Back on 22:56 - May 25 with 3808 viewsBoston

'Experienced' Centre Back on 22:31 - May 25 by Lblock

Andy Tillson

Still one of the most under appreciated, under used and under sung centre backs ever
Pure silk

Loved the geezer

He was only a name on a team sheet to me. Never remember seeing the man, no idea what he looked like until I typed the name in wiki.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

'Experienced' Centre Back on 00:40 - May 26 with 3750 viewsCiderwithRsie

'Experienced' Centre Back on 22:56 - May 25 by Boston

He was only a name on a team sheet to me. Never remember seeing the man, no idea what he looked like until I typed the name in wiki.

LBlock is right, he was really good and I thought under-used. He was unlucky that he was signed when we had a horrendous injury crisis IIRC Maddix, Parker and Macca were all out. When they came back it was obviously tough to get in the side and Peacock got the nod ahead of him.
'Experienced' Centre Back on 05:29 - May 26 with 3677 viewscaliforniahoop

'Experienced' Centre Back on 22:31 - May 25 by Lblock

Andy Tillson

Pure silk

Loved the geezer

I liked him also, good on the ball, him, Peacock and Brevett where great buys, Bobby Gould I seem to remember had something to do with them coming in?
'Experienced' Centre Back on 05:56 - May 26 with 3662 viewshoopdog

'Experienced' Centre Back on 05:29 - May 26 by californiahoop

I liked him also, good on the ball, him, Peacock and Brevett where great buys, Bobby Gould I seem to remember had something to do with them coming in?

Heard it said that's why bobby Gould got the job because he was their agent , but both made a quick impact on the side
'Experienced' Centre Back on 06:50 - May 26 with 3629 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Well following that trip down memory lane, maybe back to more pressing matters of the day: which old grizzly knarly hard bastard of a centre back should we get in?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

'Experienced' Centre Back on 08:27 - May 26 with 3540 viewsJacksDad

Danny Mcgrain Brian Kilcline Ally Robertson
'Experienced' Centre Back on 08:35 - May 26 with 3529 viewsCiderwithRsie

'Experienced' Centre Back on 06:50 - May 26 by PlanetHonneywood

Well following that trip down memory lane, maybe back to more pressing matters of the day: which old grizzly knarly hard bastard of a centre back should we get in?

No idea, I've never a clue about lower league prospects. The German bloke who went elsewhere looked the right type, if there was any truth in the rumour it shows the scouts thinking on the right lines.

But IMO on our budget the important thing is to have a unit that plays to a system and understands it. McClaren needs to decide whether he's going to play 4 at the back or whatever and who is going to be in charge of it. If we don't have a leader already - Furlong or Hall look the best bets to me but I only watch on a screen - then it's confidence and leadership that matters not age. If he's not British or Irish that might be a big ask, at very least he needs good English.

The simpler the system the easier it'll be to play it, that may make us predictable but it's better than being a shambles and its something we can build on.

Terry Fenwick was 24 when he was our captain btw
'Experienced' Centre Back on 08:48 - May 26 with 3514 viewsMyke

'Experienced' Centre Back on 08:35 - May 26 by CiderwithRsie

No idea, I've never a clue about lower league prospects. The German bloke who went elsewhere looked the right type, if there was any truth in the rumour it shows the scouts thinking on the right lines.

But IMO on our budget the important thing is to have a unit that plays to a system and understands it. McClaren needs to decide whether he's going to play 4 at the back or whatever and who is going to be in charge of it. If we don't have a leader already - Furlong or Hall look the best bets to me but I only watch on a screen - then it's confidence and leadership that matters not age. If he's not British or Irish that might be a big ask, at very least he needs good English.

The simpler the system the easier it'll be to play it, that may make us predictable but it's better than being a shambles and its something we can build on.

Terry Fenwick was 24 when he was our captain btw

Rio and Anton Ferdinand would make a nice solid pairing
'Experienced' Centre Back on 09:07 - May 26 with 3497 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Could do worse than Nathan Smith from Port Vale. Still very young but has t missed a game since making he's league debut 2 seasons ago.
'Experienced' Centre Back on 09:17 - May 26 with 3483 viewsloneranger1

I've often wondered whether Mancienne could be tempted back here?

Remember him being very good as a youngster on loan, has gone on to have plenty of experience at this level (not saying he has potential to make us loads better but able to play a bit more than other centre backs at this level and I'm sure he's better than Lynch/Baps)
'Experienced' Centre Back on 09:36 - May 26 with 3452 viewsEsox_Lucius

Now that Wolves have been promoted and Cody & Boly were the first choice CB's last season I wonder if we could get Danny Batth at the right price? He is only 27 and from my memory of seeing him play he is very much in the Ryan Nelson, Clint Hill school of dominant CB's with a lot of experience in the top levels.

The grass is always greener.

'Experienced' Centre Back on 10:06 - May 26 with 3421 viewsBAWHoops

Doesn't need to be 'old' needs to be a 'leader'.
I know that sounds all tubthunping etc. But Someone with a calm head who can organise the back 4 and keep everyone calm.

Look at the difference Van Dijk has made at Liverpool

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

'Experienced' Centre Back on 14:23 - May 26 with 3298 viewsonlyrinmoray

'Experienced' Centre Back on 09:17 - May 26 by loneranger1

I've often wondered whether Mancienne could be tempted back here?

Remember him being very good as a youngster on loan, has gone on to have plenty of experience at this level (not saying he has potential to make us loads better but able to play a bit more than other centre backs at this level and I'm sure he's better than Lynch/Baps)

In true QPR style I remember him playing at right back never in the middle Its what we do
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024