Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Concerting 10:28 - Jun 5 with 3999 viewsBklynRanger

It's too expensive these days and the tickets come out too far in advance.

I might want to see First Aid Kit in November but I'm not coughing up 36.50 plus booking fee 6 months beforehand.

What happened to the joy and spontaneity of it all? Bag of shyte.

Concerting on 10:37 - Jun 5 with 3959 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I know it's not just me, but the advent of the booking fee has really been a step too far for me.

Half the time these days, you print it off or it's downloaded to your phone, so you're carrying the cost while they've set their system up in some place where its cheap to do in terms of labour costs, tax etc.

If that is not bad enough, they manage to go just that little bit further to part the butt cheeks, by charging per ticket as opposed to per transaction!

Right up there with airline fuel surcharges applied when fuel was cheap as chips. Only to be told that this was due to them forward buying when oil was more expensive.

Did we see a drop in the charge six, nine or twelve months later? Did we shite!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Concerting on 10:38 - Jun 5 with 3959 viewswestberksr

I know where you are coming from; it's a ball ache booking months in advance but I still do it.

Best thing to do is look on Twickets or Ticketswap for last minute deals at reasonable prices (twickets cannot be above face value + charge; ticketswap have restrictions of % over face value)

I've picked up stuff on the same day and with pdf tickets it's very easy; some of the gigs aren't too expensive; although stuff like The Rolling Stones and similar are eye wateringly high.
Concerting on 10:39 - Jun 5 with 3956 viewshopphoops

Youtube and a grappa is the new gigging.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Concerting on 10:51 - Jun 5 with 3930 viewsBklynRanger

Concerting on 10:39 - Jun 5 by hopphoops

Youtube and a grappa is the new gigging.

It really is! Two tickets for 85 quid versus two bottles of wine with the big headphones on and enough left over for a severely delayed weekend flight to Porto - no contest sadly.
Concerting on 11:05 - Jun 5 with 3897 viewsFearless

Watford Colosseum are selling tickets for Mike and the Mechanics (with Roachford) for April 2019 - 11 months in advance!
Concerting on 11:09 - Jun 5 with 3879 viewshopphoops

Concerting on 10:51 - Jun 5 by BklynRanger

It really is! Two tickets for 85 quid versus two bottles of wine with the big headphones on and enough left over for a severely delayed weekend flight to Porto - no contest sadly.

Zigackly! And you can guarantee an encore of Maybellene / What goes on / Age of love to round it off, and fall into a coma when you want.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.

Concerting on 11:10 - Jun 5 with 3879 viewsMick_S

Multiply your ball-aches by this then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41237802

WTF?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Concerting on 11:14 - Jun 5 with 3866 viewsBklynRanger

Concerting on 11:10 - Jun 5 by Mick_S

Multiply your ball-aches by this then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41237802

WTF?

That's fine as long as I can send my avatar to watch their avatars - Jan would probably enjoy a night out.
Login to get fewer ads

Concerting on 11:26 - Jun 5 with 3836 viewsrobith

Streaming has meant artists have to charge more, as well as the cultural obsession of live music in the last few years - i.e people go to see bands who never used to say 10 years ago.

Since the financial crash tickets also sell much slower so they have to go on sale much earlier.

I went to All Points East last Saturday and it was great value for money. 60 quid to see The National, War on Drugs, Warpaint and Broken Social Scene. The first three were all £35+ on their last tours here.

I'm mostly annoyed as I've always been good at finding cheap tickets, but it's too risky in the age of etickets.

Also I realised about 90% of the bands I like had no reason to be seen live. I'm much more selective these days
Concerting on 11:38 - Jun 5 with 3796 viewsToast_R

The wife scored 2 Bryan Adams tickets at the O2 fairly cheap on Stubhub last minute. Her seats were right down near the front too. That's the way to go as lots of people off load their spares for what they can nearer the time.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 11:39]
Concerting on 11:38 - Jun 5 with 3796 viewsMick_S

Concerting on 11:14 - Jun 5 by BklynRanger

That's fine as long as I can send my avatar to watch their avatars - Jan would probably enjoy a night out.

She does indeed - married 5 times.

Saucy.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Concerting on 12:01 - Jun 5 with 3751 viewsstowmarketrange

£36.50 is pretty cheap considering what some performers charge.Is was £90 each for my Rolling Stones tickets at Twickenham.
Some others at the O2 are charging up to £100 a ticket.Nothing should really be over £50 a ticket,including booking fee.
Concerting on 12:18 - Jun 5 with 3712 viewsElHoop

I don't think that £40 to £50 is expensive when they've got to move their gear around every night. Theatres and football clubs charge that sort of money and they don't have to move to a different venue every night.

When I was a kid I reckon that London Calling the album cost about £4 to buy and it cost about the same to see The Clash perform it in the flesh. These days nobody wants to pay much to listen to music, unless it is live. And there's no doubt that the live experience is usually far superior to recorded music, if they're any good. Whereas in the old days live performance was 'promotional' it's now a vital source of income, and i don't have a problem with that.
Concerting on 12:49 - Jun 5 with 3645 viewshopphoops

Concerting on 11:38 - Jun 5 by Mick_S

She does indeed - married 5 times.

Saucy.

She'd do anything for a new toaster.

Concerting on 12:54 - Jun 5 with 3628 viewsBklynRanger

Concerting on 12:18 - Jun 5 by ElHoop

I don't think that £40 to £50 is expensive when they've got to move their gear around every night. Theatres and football clubs charge that sort of money and they don't have to move to a different venue every night.

When I was a kid I reckon that London Calling the album cost about £4 to buy and it cost about the same to see The Clash perform it in the flesh. These days nobody wants to pay much to listen to music, unless it is live. And there's no doubt that the live experience is usually far superior to recorded music, if they're any good. Whereas in the old days live performance was 'promotional' it's now a vital source of income, and i don't have a problem with that.

Just to eh pick you up on eh something there... they won't be needing to move their gear around for this one because they're there the night before. I'll offer 31.50 and see what they say - they seem like reasonable young ladies...

No but I do take your points, I just find it a bit sad that there are gigs which I'd like to go to but just can't justify it these days. Much like quite a few people on here when it comes to season tickets etc. 15 years ago I seemed to be going to a gig every week and thinking nothing of it, but they were different times obviously.
Concerting on 13:29 - Jun 5 with 3573 viewsElHoop

Concerting on 12:54 - Jun 5 by BklynRanger

Just to eh pick you up on eh something there... they won't be needing to move their gear around for this one because they're there the night before. I'll offer 31.50 and see what they say - they seem like reasonable young ladies...

No but I do take your points, I just find it a bit sad that there are gigs which I'd like to go to but just can't justify it these days. Much like quite a few people on here when it comes to season tickets etc. 15 years ago I seemed to be going to a gig every week and thinking nothing of it, but they were different times obviously.

I'm quite sure that live music is massively more expensive now than it's ever been, in relative terms. Obviously that makes it harder to go to very many gigs, particularly when it's someone that you've heard of, I do take the point. Also, the venues tend to be far bigger these days so you usually get less of a view of the band for far more money. The big bands tend to 'stack 'em high and sell 'em higher' these days, and they can still sell out. I don't think that it's so expensive to see up and coming bands in small venues, but there don't seem to be so many good young bands around these days. Maybe they don't exist and that's why the old boys can keep on coining it in - there's no competition.
Concerting on 13:44 - Jun 5 with 3538 viewsrobith

Concerting on 13:29 - Jun 5 by ElHoop

I'm quite sure that live music is massively more expensive now than it's ever been, in relative terms. Obviously that makes it harder to go to very many gigs, particularly when it's someone that you've heard of, I do take the point. Also, the venues tend to be far bigger these days so you usually get less of a view of the band for far more money. The big bands tend to 'stack 'em high and sell 'em higher' these days, and they can still sell out. I don't think that it's so expensive to see up and coming bands in small venues, but there don't seem to be so many good young bands around these days. Maybe they don't exist and that's why the old boys can keep on coining it in - there's no competition.

Even smaller shows are well expensive now. I saw Japandroids at Heaven in 2014 and it was like £9. I saw them last year at Shepherd's Bush Empire and despite no increase in profile it was £25
Concerting on 13:44 - Jun 5 with 3537 viewsqpr1976

Concerting on 12:18 - Jun 5 by ElHoop

Good story about London Calling.

Band (The Clash) wanted to make a double album but sell it for the price of a Single album.
Record company said no.
Band said, can we give away a free 12”ep with the album cover hen ?
Record company said Yes

Band added 9 tracks to EP and adjusted the RPM at the last minute !

Band (& music lover) wins.
Concerting on 13:51 - Jun 5 with 3516 viewsElHoop

Concerting on 13:44 - Jun 5 by qpr1976

Good story about London Calling.

Band (The Clash) wanted to make a double album but sell it for the price of a Single album.
Record company said no.
Band said, can we give away a free 12”ep with the album cover hen ?
Record company said Yes

Band added 9 tracks to EP and adjusted the RPM at the last minute !

Band (& music lover) wins.

Yes that's all true and how much should we have paid for it £6/£7? You wouldn't pay more than that for it now, 40 years later. So whilst live music is getting way out of reach, recorded music is probably cheaper than it's ever been.

The London Calling story was that Oberstein was a hoop and that was why he let them bend the rules a bit, but whether that's really a factor I don't know.
Concerting on 18:43 - Jun 5 with 3351 viewssmegma

You want to try following K-Pop. My wife paid £113 (face value) for our daughter to see some K-Pop boy band at ULU last year !!! This year it's only £101 to see them at the O2.
Concerting on 19:38 - Jun 5 with 3313 viewsStevenageRanger

As some have said, with streaming of music on You Tube, Spotify etc (and illegal downloading) lots of artists make minimal money from the 'physical' product.

Gigs are the income now.

They said it years ago "Home Taping is Killing Music" it never did but actually the internet has pretty much. Why do you think Vinyl has become cool again, the record companies have pushed it as its a source of income (it never went in my house as always purchased vinyl and even had the joy of pressing a few up of some underground Old Skool type Hardcore tracks)

My kids don't even know what a CD with music is. Someone brought the youngest who is 10 the latest now album recently for his birthday, he didn't have a clue about music being on it! Them round shiny things are Playstation games in their eyes!
Concerting on 12:05 - Jun 6 with 3037 viewsthemodfather

some good comments, gigs are getting expensive, the VIP sections and all that, gentrification just like the footy.....they make it an "event" to raise profile, "you're missing out".
in many cases you get what you pay for, did the who in hyde aprk, about 2 yrs back, as a birthday treat did the vip and was at the front, near bogs and bars and it was a good night out, the place was full of champagne corks and empty bottles.
Concerting on 12:11 - Jun 6 with 3029 viewsthemodfather

about the clash, they didn't realise it was a 6 lp deal and no more money until it was done, so double lp and a triple with sandinista ate into that...but maybe lost some quality and burnt em out?
to think some bands did 8 track or 9 track lps and they were knocking out 19 or 25+ tracks.
Concerting on 14:11 - Jun 6 with 2920 viewscharmr

Saw New Order locally (Columbia, Maryland) not that long ago and on chatting with their entourage, who most had been with the band a long time, confirmed touring was pretty profitable.

If a band likes playing live and it works for them it sort of makes sense. Tickets were reasonable and they sure were good.

Radiohead tried to keep the prices down but hard to get and spares are crazy prices. Fan club/pre sale members buy them up and then sell them on.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2018 14:16]
Concerting on 14:45 - Jun 6 with 2888 viewsrobith

Concerting on 14:11 - Jun 6 by charmr

Saw New Order locally (Columbia, Maryland) not that long ago and on chatting with their entourage, who most had been with the band a long time, confirmed touring was pretty profitable.

If a band likes playing live and it works for them it sort of makes sense. Tickets were reasonable and they sure were good.

Radiohead tried to keep the prices down but hard to get and spares are crazy prices. Fan club/pre sale members buy them up and then sell them on.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2018 14:16]

I can't remember what their roundhouse prices were, but a couple of years ago Radiohead played the o2 and it was £75
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024