Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread 13:46 - Jun 9 with 6777 viewsWestbourneR

I’ll start.

Mark Sykes, Glenavon. 20 years old. AMC / WF

The boy looks special to me - carries the ball like Cristiano Ronaldo and strikes it like him too. Vision, touch and drives from midfield.

Suspect £250k would do it.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 16:45 - Jun 9 with 5429 viewsWestbourneR

Hmmm. This is good, very good.

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 17:22 - Jun 9 with 5370 viewsBklynRanger

I think basically anyone Lurgan based would provide a good counterpoint to Smyth's more Belfast tones so I'd support this.

Unfortunately I can't suggest any players but I wouldn't mind seeing us buying someone from the Dutch second division.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 17:35 - Jun 9 with 5352 viewsbosh67

I'm not even sure we have £250K to spend.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 18:12 - Jun 9 with 5296 viewsstevec

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 17:35 - Jun 9 by bosh67

Biggest profit makers in the Championship 2016/17, and that's before Barcelona (or Man City) come in with an offer of £25 mill for Luongo.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 20:54 - Jun 9 with 5151 viewskomradkirk

Gavin Whyte of Crusaders.
We were head of a list in January but it appears Leeds are the front runners now.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 22:05 - Jun 9 with 5089 viewsBklynRanger

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 20:54 - Jun 9 by komradkirk

Gavin Whyte of Crusaders.
We were head of a list in January but it appears Leeds are the front runners now.

This would continue the trend of replacing the 'i's with the 'y's so I'd also be in favour of it for the sake of continuity and such.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 01:27 - Jun 10 with 4902 viewstimcocking

I don't think we need hardly any new signings. What's the point of developing all these exciting youngsters if we don't play them? A new centre forward who can run and kick a ball would be nice, but seems impossible without money. Look how poor Washington has turned out to be.

Our most important signings should have been Jack Robinson and Nedum. I can't help but worry we've badly fcuked up there.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 01:28 - Jun 10 with 4900 viewstimcocking

But hey, you've convinced me if we can buy a Ronaldo lite for 250K!
Login to get fewer ads

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 07:30 - Jun 10 with 4853 viewsdistortR

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 01:27 - Jun 10 by timcocking

I don't think we need hardly any new signings. What's the point of developing all these exciting youngsters if we don't play them? A new centre forward who can run and kick a ball would be nice, but seems impossible without money. Look how poor Washington has turned out to be.

Our most important signings should have been Jack Robinson and Nedum. I can't help but worry we've badly fcuked up there.

re: Ned and robinson, I don't think that was ever really in the club's hands.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 08:08 - Jun 10 with 4822 viewsBerkoRanger

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 17:35 - Jun 9 by bosh67

Of course Steve will have money to spend! We may have to sell first but there is no way he would have agreed to take the job if he hadn't been promised a transfer budget. Expect at least 5-6 ins and similiar outs.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 10:55 - Jun 10 with 4687 viewsDavieQPR

Whatever money we might have to spend needs to be spent on areas we need and I am afraid AMC/WF is the lowest of our needs.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 16:12 - Jun 10 with 4524 viewsWestbourneR

Agree we don't need a player in AMC / WF but Sykes is too good to turn down - especially as he'll be cheap as chips.

He always looks head and shoulders to me, glides across the pitch.

Think he's a much better prospect than Whyte.

No Y in team. But in every NI player it seems.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2018 16:15]

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 16:43 - Jun 10 with 4476 viewsDylanP

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 01:27 - Jun 10 by timcocking

We definitely need to sign two or three new defenders. We were already short at the back and are losing two very important players in Chief and Robinson

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 16:58 - Jun 10 with 4450 viewsRANGERS4EVER

If we don't sign a defender or two there's only one way we are going and that's down. Needs to be a priority. Lynch isn't good enough and Hall is too risky for the injury, and Baptiste will be even slower. We need to replace Onuoha. Badly

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 22:39 - Jun 10 with 4203 viewsrsonist

The Murray Wallace and Adam Jackson rumours suggest we're on the case... both sound like the right sort too.

Presumably every club in England is well aware of all the Irish prospects but remain hesitant to take the gamble despite the relative pittance in cost. Didn't someone say Smyth had been on trial at Ipswich before we took him? I think he really took everyone at the club by surprise.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 01:35 - Jun 11 with 4109 viewstimcocking

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 07:30 - Jun 10 by distortR

re: Ned and robinson, I don't think that was ever really in the club's hands.

Hmmm. I thought it seemed pretty clear they'd both have stayed if they recieved better offers.

I'm not one for advocating overpaying, but i have said it was absolutely vital to keep at least one of them whatever the cost (well, assuming it was still a going rate kind of offer). People believing neither would have stayed is like people saying Warnock wouldn't have stayed. It's the official line, but it's not the truth. We let them both go to try and cut corners, now we'll have to see if it comes back to bite us in the arse.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 12:55 - Jun 11 with 3850 viewsBrianMcCarthy

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 01:35 - Jun 11 by timcocking

Hmmm. I thought it seemed pretty clear they'd both have stayed if they recieved better offers.

I'm not one for advocating overpaying, but i have said it was absolutely vital to keep at least one of them whatever the cost (well, assuming it was still a going rate kind of offer). People believing neither would have stayed is like people saying Warnock wouldn't have stayed. It's the official line, but it's not the truth. We let them both go to try and cut corners, now we'll have to see if it comes back to bite us in the arse.

To be fair, both were offered contracts. Ned spoke publicly about wanting to head back North, Robinson is yet to speak publicly as far as I can recall.

Either way, there's nothing the club can do except offer them the best contract that we can afford and try to talk them into signing it. Which is what was done. We can't offer them Premier League football and we can't break our wage structure for them. We've been down the road of financial ruin too many times already. I'm delighted we're finally showing some discipline.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 13:51 - Jun 11 with 3673 viewstimcocking

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 12:55 - Jun 11 by BrianMcCarthy

To be fair, both were offered contracts. Ned spoke publicly about wanting to head back North, Robinson is yet to speak publicly as far as I can recall.

Either way, there's nothing the club can do except offer them the best contract that we can afford and try to talk them into signing it. Which is what was done. We can't offer them Premier League football and we can't break our wage structure for them. We've been down the road of financial ruin too many times already. I'm delighted we're finally showing some discipline.

We offered too little, too late. Let's not forget they were our second and third best players over the first 35 matches.

I'm sure we're all delighted the club are paying less and showing some discipline. But at the same time, you still have to speculate to accumulate. Have we really saved money there? Or will we simply end up paying slightly more for much worse players instead? I very much expect so. I'll be surprised if it doesn't turn out to be a false economy.

Same goes for the change of management. We'll end up paying loads of money to change all the management team yet again and it'll most likely achieve sweet fa. I'd have preferred to keep both the squad and the management intact.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2018 13:53]
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 13:53 - Jun 11 with 3660 viewstimcocking

What on earth is AMC/WF?
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 15:01 - Jun 11 with 3597 viewsWestbourneR

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 13:53 - Jun 11 by timcocking

What on earth is AMC/WF?

Never played Championship Manager then Tim?

Attack Midfielder Centre / Wing Forward.

Btw I agree with you about Ned and Robinson. I think we need to push the boat out a little to build a proper squad for the next two to three years.

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 18:07 - Jun 11 with 3431 viewsBrianMcCarthy

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 13:51 - Jun 11 by timcocking

We offered too little, too late. Let's not forget they were our second and third best players over the first 35 matches.

I'm sure we're all delighted the club are paying less and showing some discipline. But at the same time, you still have to speculate to accumulate. Have we really saved money there? Or will we simply end up paying slightly more for much worse players instead? I very much expect so. I'll be surprised if it doesn't turn out to be a false economy.

Same goes for the change of management. We'll end up paying loads of money to change all the management team yet again and it'll most likely achieve sweet fa. I'd have preferred to keep both the squad and the management intact.

"We offered too little, too late."

As fans, we have no idea what was offered and when. For all we know the club could have offered contracts many times stretching back ages.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 18:30 - Jun 11 with 3371 viewsdanehoop

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 18:07 - Jun 11 by BrianMcCarthy

"We offered too little, too late."

As fans, we have no idea what was offered and when. For all we know the club could have offered contracts many times stretching back ages.

Tim,

I don't think you have any evidence at all on the contract details of our players. We know that Robinson has been looking around for other options given we can't afford to pay what he was on before. As Brian said, Ned was looking to move closer to his family, and we again simply couldn't afford to match what he was on previously. With no transfer fee involved he should hopefully be able to negotiate himself a decent contract with a higher wage or signing on fee - we couldn't match either.

I think that we do need to recognise that this is the genuine new reality that we now face as a lower middle table Championship club in West London under FFP. The gate receipts and other income simply don't match the outgoings that some believe we should still be committing.

We are now looking at bargain basement buys, the youth squad and strong coaching to succeed and emulate the achievements of Huddersfield and Burnley. Fortunately the signs are encouraging on both fronts, which is just as well given that the Newcastle and Wolves options are no longer available to us. Go to far down that way and you only have to look at the failures elsewhere from Vila to Sunderland to see what happens now if you gamble and lose.

The switch of management teams has been done to death on other threads, but the overall cost/benefit analysis will have been considered by the club in a way that wouldn't have been done in the past. I think it would also have been done of the basis of the full knowledge of the facts, rather than speculation of the type that we as fans have to use instead. Like you, personally I didn't feel comfortable with it, but can understand the reasoning for change and rationale for timing.

Never knowingly understood

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 18:39 - Jun 11 with 3359 viewsichbinnaughty

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 13:51 - Jun 11 by timcocking

“Let's not forget they were our second and third best players over the first 35 matches.”
I have to take exception to this.

Any one of the three regular midfielders would probably occupy the top two - I’ll happily concede Chief had a very good season. Robbo was a pleasant surprise - a good season but part of the reason he stood out was because expectation was absolutely zero due to his fitness record.
(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 19:20 - Jun 11 with 3308 viewsbosh67

I may be completely wrong but apart from the fact that we have the world's largest fine to pay that we also have to spend 3 seasons not really spending anything to avoid occurring another fine? We've done one and have another set of accounts to publish that should be okay but I thought it would be the 2019-20 season before we could be free of the risk of other fines? I'll stand corrected by anyone who knows the facts.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 20:12 - Jun 11 with 3241 viewsdistortR

(Realistic) Transfer Target Thread on 19:20 - Jun 11 by bosh67

I may be completely wrong but apart from the fact that we have the world's largest fine to pay that we also have to spend 3 seasons not really spending anything to avoid occurring another fine? We've done one and have another set of accounts to publish that should be okay but I thought it would be the 2019-20 season before we could be free of the risk of other fines? I'll stand corrected by anyone who knows the facts.

knowing facts takes the fun out of things, though.

ATAF
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024