Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pointless media world cup stats watch 11:38 - Jun 18 with 9498 viewsTW_R

One of my biggest bugbears - crappy stats that mean nothing. I heard my first one today - please feel free to add to this.

"England haven't won their first game at the World Cup since 2006". There have only been 2 WCs between now and then - FFS!!
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 17:26 - Jun 18 with 7717 viewssmegma

Panama are playing in their first WC match at the moment.

So it's literally a plethora of firsts from the commentators. But the most ridculous 'first' was their 'first ever corner at the World Cup'.
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 17:58 - Jun 18 with 7690 viewssmegma

When we lost at Brentford a year ago, it was the first time they'd beaten us in 50 odd years.

First time in about 10 games then.
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 19:45 - Jun 18 with 7646 viewssmegma

Gareth Southgate first ever World Cup finals half time team talk.............
[Post edited 18 Jun 2018 19:50]
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 19:51 - Jun 18 with 7641 viewssmegma

Harry Kane's first ever World Cup finals goal..........in his only ever World Cup finals appearance.
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 20:32 - Jun 19 with 7465 viewssmegma

Russia are the lowest ranked host nation ever. Havnt won the last 7 games in the lead up to the finals??

Competitions top scorers so far.
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 15:05 - Jun 27 with 7193 viewssmegma

Jonathan Pearce has just revealed that Tottenhams Son Heungmin is the all time top scoring Korean in the Premier League.

There must be a large pool of Koreans to choose from. As many as 5 ???
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 16:04 - Jun 27 with 7153 viewssmegma

On the current South Korea v Germany game Lineker informs us that it's the first time Germany have failed to score in the first half of a group game***

I'm riveted by that fact.

*** it happened in the previous game as well***
[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 16:22]
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 17:55 - Jun 27 with 7103 viewsSnipper

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 16:04 - Jun 27 by smegma

On the current South Korea v Germany game Lineker informs us that it's the first time Germany have failed to score in the first half of a group game***

I'm riveted by that fact.

*** it happened in the previous game as well***
[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 16:22]

He was on about all 3 group games.
Login to get fewer ads

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 17:57 - Jun 27 with 7098 viewssmegma

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 17:55 - Jun 27 by Snipper

He was on about all 3 group games.

It's still a crap stat. In fact 99% of stats are crap
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 21:50 - Jun 27 with 7039 viewstoboboly

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 15:05 - Jun 27 by smegma

Jonathan Pearce has just revealed that Tottenhams Son Heungmin is the all time top scoring Korean in the Premier League.

There must be a large pool of Koreans to choose from. As many as 5 ???

Think he got that early last season, beat our own Korean ju-sung Park, so not much competition!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 10:13 - Jun 28 with 6979 viewsDannyPaddox

From pointless stats to fascinating facts. Colombian centre-back Oscar Murillo Murillo (so good they named him twice) plays his club football in Mexico for a team called Pachuca. One of the oldest clubs on the continent. They were founded in 1901. By a load of Cornish miners. Proper job!

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 10:27 - Jun 28 with 6967 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish TV presenter's sycophantic stat for Cristiano Ronaldo before their third game: Ronaldo has an incredible 100% success rate for shots on target - 4 goals from 4.

Or, in plainspeak, Ronaldo has only had four shots in target from 10 efforts - 40%.

Of the four he did get on target one was a penalty and one was straight at the keeper who should have saved it while ringing home to chat to his Mom.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 00:35 - Jun 30 with 6803 viewsDannyPaddox

One of Danny Wellbeck's middle names is Nii.

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 20:46 - Jul 1 with 6698 viewssmegma

It's not a stat but the commentator in the Croatia v Denmark on ITV knows jack. Luca Modric just took a quick throw in to launch an attack. The commentator said ' is he onside?? He is you know'.

Heres a clue you melt, it was a throw in .
[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 20:47]
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 20:48 - Jul 1 with 6686 viewsLongsufferingR

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 17:57 - Jun 27 by smegma

It's still a crap stat. In fact 99% of stats are crap

The other 14% are quite interesting though.
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 07:38 - Jul 2 with 6554 viewsrbsranger

I was pleased to see Spain knocked out because maybe someone will think before giving us "completed passes" stats. Spain passed to one another about 35 yards from the Russian goal about 1000 times yesterday - the stats will tell you that they had the most completed passes in the history of football and the highest pass completion rate too. The fact that not one of the passes actually got the ball any closer to the Russian net is besides the point....
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 09:33 - Jul 2 with 6514 viewsizlingtonhoop

In a similar vein, the commentator said: the draw will NEVER open up like this again...

How da fu(k d'you know that Biff?
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 09:57 - Jul 2 with 6491 viewsFearless

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 00:35 - Jun 30 by DannyPaddox

One of Danny Wellbeck's middle names is Nii.

Little know fact about Danny Welbeck.
His Dad was a bomb disposal expert called Stan
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 10:41 - Jul 2 with 6466 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Any commentator who ever says "and you get the feeling the next goal might be important..."

Yes, because this is football, not cricket. And there's 87 minutes gone.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 13:40 - Jul 2 with 6396 viewsR_from_afar

A journalist from The Sun was touting some stat about the number of times a certain thing had happened in World Cup knockout games *in the last decade*.

Why on earth would you pick a period of time that is not divisible by four?

Oh, and by the way, any pundit who talks about footballers "in the quarterback position" should be made to dress in full Chelsea kit and then be put in some stocks outside the Loftus Road stadium.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 16:42 - Jul 2 with 6307 viewssmegma

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 09:57 - Jul 2 by Fearless

Little know fact about Danny Welbeck.
His Dad was a bomb disposal expert called Stan

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 17:14 - Jul 2 with 6291 viewssmegma

Gabriel Clark on ITV has just claimed ' Columbia have an advantage over England as they have been playing continuos knockout matches since losing their first game to Japan '.

Now I've heard some b0ll0cks in my lifetime but that stat is up there with the most stupid thing I've ever heard.
Pointless media world cup stats watch on 19:47 - Jul 2 with 6251 viewskensalriser

A good one I heard a few days ago:

'That was a reaction save'.

As opposed to...?
[Post edited 2 Jul 2018 22:04]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 20:44 - Jul 2 with 6231 viewsDorse

Not a stat but the ITV commentator has just said that 'the Belgian handbrake has been released'.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Pointless media world cup stats watch on 21:17 - Jul 2 with 6209 viewsTW_R

I did see a comment that suggested that if the rules were changed for a penalty shootout where you were allowed to pass the ball sideways, Spain may have won.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024