Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trippier the only one 20:46 - Jun 18 with 5107 viewsbosh67

Showing any kind of intent.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Trippier the only one on 21:03 - Jun 18 with 3672 viewsted_hendrix

Thought Loftus-Cheek was very good in the short time he was on the pitch.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Trippier the only one on 21:04 - Jun 18 with 3663 viewstraininvain

Hard to look good against such a negative cynical team but I thought we did well.

Maybe start Loftus Cheek & Rashford next game ahead of Alli & Sterling.
Trippier the only one on 21:06 - Jun 18 with 3654 viewsbosh67

Trippier the only one on 21:04 - Jun 18 by traininvain

Hard to look good against such a negative cynical team but I thought we did well.

Maybe start Loftus Cheek & Rashford next game ahead of Alli & Sterling.

Agreed. I think Alli is injured. Couldn't really run second half. Sterling flatters to deceive. So string at City and seems to strand himself in an England shirt.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Trippier the only one on 21:59 - Jun 18 with 3580 viewsHunterhoop

Sorry Bosh. Think that was understandable, reactive nonsense.

I don’t rate the bloke, but tonight I thought Henderson had an absolute stormer some of his through balls were fantastic. And he organised the whole team, clearly encouraging them to keep their patience.

Maguire has a very good game too.
Trippier the only one on 00:36 - Jun 19 with 3429 viewsPunteR

Trippier looked class tonight.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Trippier the only one on 01:08 - Jun 19 with 3413 viewsJigsore

on form, Rose along with Trippier would be as good a pair of wingbacks as almost any team in the World Cup could offer up.

it really all depends on if Rose is fit though. I don't thing Young is great but he's that classic 6/10 man. won't make any shockers at least. Panama is an ideal game for Southgate to test Rose's fitness

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Trippier the only one on 04:17 - Jun 19 with 3342 viewstimcocking

I can remember telling all my mates years back when he was with us that Walker and Trippier would both be playing for England eventually and was doubted, but lo and behold.

We clearly looked a class above Tunisia and should have won about 4-0. They tried to cheat England out of it, like they always do, and we had some of the most profligate finishing i've ever seen at that level. Thank God for Harry Kane.

But yeah, too much passing sideways and backwards. No effing point doing that when you're not in front. Phew.
Trippier the only one on 07:01 - Jun 19 with 3298 viewsdavman

Trippier the only one on 01:08 - Jun 19 by Jigsore

on form, Rose along with Trippier would be as good a pair of wingbacks as almost any team in the World Cup could offer up.

it really all depends on if Rose is fit though. I don't thing Young is great but he's that classic 6/10 man. won't make any shockers at least. Panama is an ideal game for Southgate to test Rose's fitness

6/100 more like - can't beat a man, can't cross, can't defend, can't take a dead ball. International Wing Back, my arse!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Login to get fewer ads

Trippier the only one on 08:22 - Jun 19 with 3222 viewsDorse

I hadn't seen a lot of Trippier this season but I was really impressed with his pace, decision-making and final ball. He was an object lesson in how to take a corner - so consistently awkward for the opposition, especially with Stones and Maguire sticking the nut on everything.

Definitely my man of the match.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Trippier the only one on 08:39 - Jun 19 with 3202 viewssimmo

Been banging the Trippier drum for a while and great to see him starting and playing so well, it's a shame we haven't got the CB's to play Walker as wing back, as he's one of the best in that position, but Trippiers end product is exceptional. Henderson also very good, along with Maguire those 3 were just behind the obvious MoM in Kane.

As for changes, I personally think unless you play Alli right up alongside/behind Kane, it negates what he's best at. Better to start Loftus-Cheek in CM and either put Alli with Kane or bench him. Great player but if he doesn't fit a system then he has to sit out. I'd start him against Belgium though as I'd put Dier in with Henderson and play him more as a number 10.

Great game though, some things poor but the pressing, attacking intent and relentlessness was brilliant, so good to see us keep working it rather than reverting to long balls into 'the mixer' and hoping for the best. Southgate did an excellent job and I'm still feeling the effects of that late winner - proper mosh pit where I was.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Trippier the only one on 08:50 - Jun 19 with 3171 viewsqprd

Granted I did watch this match at local time of about 2 am, but I thought England were kind of crap and southgate got massively bailed out by kane

Sterling was poor, but he was played out of position. He should be playing on the shoulder, running behind, rather than dropping deeper into pockets to collect the ball. He was wasted in that second striker role

I liked Loftus Cheeks cameo but thought he was also a bit out of position. I think he's too awkward to be isolated on a flank as he was at times towards the end of the match. he's more of a marauding wide midfielder IMO

Ultimately, England's attack was pretty static. There wasn't enough movement behind the defense, and the players on the pitch weren't doing enough to get behind. Part of it was the personnel; part of it is due to the fact that Henderson doesn't have it in his locker to play through balls and he was the guy who a lot of the play was going through- Henderson's passing was pretty good yesterday, so shouldn't be taken as a knock

If your forwards aren't going to run behind, and you are relying on your wingbacks to take up advanced wide positions, you need your wingbacks to be able to take on defenders 1 v 1 and get to the byline.

This is ultimately my problem with Trippier and Young (to a greater extent, who I thought was crap and rly should be replaced by Rose). Trippier was decent, but unfortunately he doesn't have it in him to run at players and get to byline. as a result, its very easy for an opposition defense to keep the action in front of them

I don't want to be negative and belabor the point, but walker really should be playing as RWB. He's top 5 rb in the world, and probably englands only other world class player other than kane. unlike trippier, walker can get to the byline and stretch the defense. Trippier is really good at the final delivery, but he lacks that bit of 1 v 1 skill which I think England needs in its current shape
Trippier the only one on 10:17 - Jun 19 with 3055 viewsstevec

Always liked Trippier since seeing him down here for Burnley. My one issue is he’s ultimately a right back, admittedly one who can get forward reasonably well but it was noticeable that when our back three were ever pinned near their eighteen yard box but in possession they were finding it difficult to find an outball, particularly in front of Walker.

With only Henderson available in centre mid, once he was blocked out, you needed Trippier or on less occasions, Young, to find space but that didn’t happen. It resulted in either Walker playing it long or Maguire trying to play it out but conceding possession.

Suspect when the good teams show up this will be our downfall.
Trippier the only one on 10:23 - Jun 19 with 3049 viewsWadR

Agree with Hunter - thought Henderson was superb all night. Normally get a little frustrated watching him because he can take too long and too many touches to get the ball out of his feet but last night he moved it quickly and positively.

Playing as a sole midfield pivot, a lot was being asked of him last night, but he didn't hide and gave a great captain's (I know he isn't) performance.

I don't think it is fair or that there's much point laying into individuals. We opened up an ultra defensive side multiple times in the first half, looked a constant threat from set pieces and generally looked a lot more fluent and cohesive than recent England sides in major tournaments.

Would prefer Rose to Young just to give us more width and pace but think Alli, Lingard and Sterling all deserve to keep their places. Alli was great before he picked up that knock and although Loftus-Cheek looked excellent after coming on, I think it is too early in the tourney to be making wholesale changes.
Trippier the only one on 10:46 - Jun 19 with 2996 viewsqprd

Trippier the only one on 10:17 - Jun 19 by stevec

Always liked Trippier since seeing him down here for Burnley. My one issue is he’s ultimately a right back, admittedly one who can get forward reasonably well but it was noticeable that when our back three were ever pinned near their eighteen yard box but in possession they were finding it difficult to find an outball, particularly in front of Walker.

With only Henderson available in centre mid, once he was blocked out, you needed Trippier or on less occasions, Young, to find space but that didn’t happen. It resulted in either Walker playing it long or Maguire trying to play it out but conceding possession.

Suspect when the good teams show up this will be our downfall.

I agree compeltely

My biggest fear against the stronger teams is getting overrun in midfield. if you play 2 wingbacks and 3 centerbacks, you get a situation somewhat similar to what happened to qpr this year

the back 3 keeps their line so don't get involved in breaking up play in midfield (though each of the back 3 took turns trying to break up play higher up the pitch at times); the wingbacks are wide so they leave the center of the park open

Henderson is there, but youre asking lingard, alli, and sterling to do a lot of defensive work in the center of the park.... I haven't seen lingard enough, but I don't imagine hes a great ball winner

the thought of Croatia or spain passing around Henderson on a one man island is pretty damn scary
Trippier the only one on 11:47 - Jun 19 with 2915 viewsAshdown_Ranger

I think there's still a degree of 'we're far too good for Tunisia [insert name of any national team outside of the top 5 or 6 here]' arrogance/complacency from some players.

Sterling was perhaps the worst offender, and Alli not far behind - though perhaps his apparent injury may have contributed to that perception.

Walker didn't look anything like his best and perhaps Jones or Cahill should replace him against Panama at centre-back.

Rashford to start instead of Sterling, Loftus Cheek instead of Alli and Rose instead of Young.
Trippier the only one on 12:14 - Jun 19 with 2866 viewsderbyhoop

Defensively OK - apart from Walker's penalty concession, which I thought was soft.Both Maguire and Stones were very good but not much of a test
Trippier excellent. MOM for me.
Henderson - mostly good, but a touch of the Karl Henry's about some of his negative passing
Kane - hardly did anything but scored twice.
Good cameo from Loftus-Cheek.

The rest were disappointing. But this was against a well-organised, cynical Tunisia who aren't that bad a side. England are OK, but, unless there are considerable improvements over the course of the tournament, it's hard to see them getting beyond the last 8.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Trippier the only one on 12:26 - Jun 19 with 2830 viewstraininvain

Trippier the only one on 11:47 - Jun 19 by Ashdown_Ranger

I think there's still a degree of 'we're far too good for Tunisia [insert name of any national team outside of the top 5 or 6 here]' arrogance/complacency from some players.

Sterling was perhaps the worst offender, and Alli not far behind - though perhaps his apparent injury may have contributed to that perception.

Walker didn't look anything like his best and perhaps Jones or Cahill should replace him against Panama at centre-back.

Rashford to start instead of Sterling, Loftus Cheek instead of Alli and Rose instead of Young.

The issue with replacing Walker is his pace which you need alongside Maguire and Stones.
Trippier the only one on 12:31 - Jun 19 with 2820 viewsPhildo

I thought that Tunisia were pretty tactically good, fouling aside. England caused them huge problems at first which they responded and adapted to by playing a high line and squeezing the English passing game. England only really adapted to that with direct runners when Loftus-Cheek and Rashford came on to try and turn the back four. The criticism of Sterling was a bit harsh I thought as it was more about the system really.

On a separate note it boils my p1ss to see Fat Fwaank and Rio sit and criticise- remind me what they won with England?
Trippier the only one on 12:31 - Jun 19 with 2818 viewskensalriser

Given that England have only twice ever progressed beyond the last eight, that's not exactly a huge criticism!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Trippier the only one on 12:50 - Jun 19 with 2769 viewssimmo

Trippier the only one on 11:47 - Jun 19 by Ashdown_Ranger

I was actually really happy with how England played but agree with all 3 of those changes, if we play the same system, etc then I think both Alli and Sterling miss out. Rose should just play over Young full stop, Young has excellent inswinging delivery but we need a natural left footer as LWB if possible to create more width.

I don't understand some of the above criticisms either, how are you supposed to 'get more behind' a team that played so deep? If they hadn't scored that penalty we would have run out comfy 3-0 winners IMO, they went into HT with a draw and abandoned all attacking to be deep, narrow and cynical - most teams in the world find that kind of opposition difficult to breakdown and in the end we did it with persistence and key changes.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Trippier the only one on 13:20 - Jun 19 with 2717 viewsdaveB

I thought England were very good last night, we played excellent stuff the first 20 minutes and should have been 3 or 4 up. The penalty changed the game and they were hard to break down the second half but the players kept going and believed they would get another chance.

Genuinely shocked at some of the criticism, our first win at a World Cup in 8 years, first opening game win since 2006, a job well done last night with lots to improve on.
Trippier the only one on 14:13 - Jun 19 with 2650 viewsNorthernr

I thought we played well too. We weren't playing Swindon Town you know.
Trippier the only one on 14:43 - Jun 19 with 2597 viewsYorkRanger

I thought England played well enough. Very good first half, tired second half but stuck at it. I think it is easy to underestimate how hard it is to break down a side set up so defensively.

I like the shape of the team and the way Southgate has got them playing. I don't expect them to win the tournament but I genuinely think on their day they could give any side a tough game.
Trippier the only one on 15:12 - Jun 19 with 2547 viewsWestbourneR

Been banging the Trippier drum (as well) since he whipped in a cross for Danny Ings to volley home right in front of me at Ellerslie Road.

Rose is in top three left backs in the world and should play.

Impressive performance, I really hope they can do well - really likeable bunch of players and manager.

They look as good as anyone so far.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Trippier the only one on 15:24 - Jun 19 with 2526 viewsqprrunner

Trippier the only one on 08:50 - Jun 19 by qprd

Granted I did watch this match at local time of about 2 am, but I thought England were kind of crap and southgate got massively bailed out by kane

Sterling was poor, but he was played out of position. He should be playing on the shoulder, running behind, rather than dropping deeper into pockets to collect the ball. He was wasted in that second striker role

I liked Loftus Cheeks cameo but thought he was also a bit out of position. I think he's too awkward to be isolated on a flank as he was at times towards the end of the match. he's more of a marauding wide midfielder IMO

Ultimately, England's attack was pretty static. There wasn't enough movement behind the defense, and the players on the pitch weren't doing enough to get behind. Part of it was the personnel; part of it is due to the fact that Henderson doesn't have it in his locker to play through balls and he was the guy who a lot of the play was going through- Henderson's passing was pretty good yesterday, so shouldn't be taken as a knock

If your forwards aren't going to run behind, and you are relying on your wingbacks to take up advanced wide positions, you need your wingbacks to be able to take on defenders 1 v 1 and get to the byline.

This is ultimately my problem with Trippier and Young (to a greater extent, who I thought was crap and rly should be replaced by Rose). Trippier was decent, but unfortunately he doesn't have it in him to run at players and get to byline. as a result, its very easy for an opposition defense to keep the action in front of them

I don't want to be negative and belabor the point, but walker really should be playing as RWB. He's top 5 rb in the world, and probably englands only other world class player other than kane. unlike trippier, walker can get to the byline and stretch the defense. Trippier is really good at the final delivery, but he lacks that bit of 1 v 1 skill which I think England needs in its current shape

Think the lack of sleep might have been clouding your judgement.

Sterling was poor but more importantly he wasn't hiding and kept trying to be brave and make things happen which for too long England have taken the easy option.

I haven't seen a more fluid first half from an England side in a long long time, not sure how you can call them static. Second half as Tunisia dropped deeper there wasn't as much space in behind but I still think the movement and intent to play was there.

One of Henderson's best game in an England shirt as far as I'm concerned. Lovely chipped ball over the top in the first half.

Youngs delivery was good (apart from the free kick obviously). Also think Walker has it's flaws but again he was trying to be brave and play out from the back. Sorry to pick your post apart, but I haven't seen an England performance that good in ages and how anyone can be negative after that is beyond me. I'm with Gareth I would have been proud even if we'd drawn!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024