Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone enjoying the cricket? 23:25 - Jun 27 with 16348 viewsnix

We’ve been absolutely slaughtering the Aussies in the limited over matches.

Good to see the cricket team, like the football team, playing with enjoyment and freedom. They’ve been slashing records - fastest England player ever to get fifty in a T20 (Buttler),
highest total in 50 over match. And the sun has actually been shining.

We just need Edmund to do well at Wimbledon and it’ll be a pretty good summer.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 01:32 - Jun 28 with 4503 viewsjonno

Yes, watched all the matches and very enjoyable to see the Aussies take a bashing!
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 06:36 - Jun 28 with 4451 viewsLythamR

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 01:32 - Jun 28 by jonno

Yes, watched all the matches and very enjoyable to see the Aussies take a bashing!

Yes excellent have been good in the ODI and yesterdays T20, I didnt think it would grab me after the glorious IPL season but Butler and Hales in particular have come back in great form
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 07:43 - Jun 28 with 4423 viewskingsburyR

My fear they have shot their bolt a year too soon.

Deserved favourites for the world cup and I would say one of the best white ball teams I have ever seen. They bat way down the order and many have stepped up to the mark to either get England over the line or demolish teams!

Very enjoyable viewing - and the Aussies getting slaughtered is an added bonus!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 11:34 - Jun 28 with 4365 viewstoboboly

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 01:32 - Jun 28 by jonno

This.

Anyone get World Cup tix in the ballot? Got Eng v Windies at Hampshire and Eng v Afghanistan at Old Trafford. Didn't get Lords obviously cos no bugger ever does.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 11:37 - Jun 28 with 4363 viewsTheChef

Seems we are finally fulfilling our potential in white ball cricket, so kudos to Baylis for that.

Thing is we need a new red ball coach to up our performances in Tests.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 13:24 - Jun 28 with 4308 viewstimcocking

Great.

Except, one-day cricket just isn't the same, is it? It pains me to see the prevalance for the sh!tty one day stuff. Nice enough to sit and watch, but nothing like a test.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 13:27 - Jun 28 with 4309 viewsElHoop

To get it into perspective, the Aussies just announced their squad for an 'A' tour of India and that squad is arguably stronger than this one insofar as there are any differences at all. This wasn't a recognisable Aussie side - more like a second XI sent over to fill a gap in Sky's schedule.

If we now do a similar job on India at any code of the game then I'd be somewhat shocked. 'Bumrah is coming in to bowl to Jason Roy........' What happens next?
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 14:57 - Jun 28 with 4266 viewsted_hendrix

The Aussies kicked our arses in the ashes so I'll take what we've just done to them all day long thank you very much.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 21:50 - Jun 28 with 4200 viewsCiderwithRsie

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 13:27 - Jun 28 by ElHoop

To get it into perspective, the Aussies just announced their squad for an 'A' tour of India and that squad is arguably stronger than this one insofar as there are any differences at all. This wasn't a recognisable Aussie side - more like a second XI sent over to fill a gap in Sky's schedule.

If we now do a similar job on India at any code of the game then I'd be somewhat shocked. 'Bumrah is coming in to bowl to Jason Roy........' What happens next?

But Aus had a full squad for the ODIs on their home turf just a few months back and got tonked there too.

India will defo be a truer test.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 22:09 - Jun 28 with 4191 viewsElHoop

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 21:50 - Jun 28 by CiderwithRsie

But Aus had a full squad for the ODIs on their home turf just a few months back and got tonked there too.

India will defo be a truer test.

But they'd already won the Ashes - that was the real series. There's so much cricket these days - you have to pick and choose a bit. It strikes me that we are not winning the ones that really matter. Number 1 in the world at odi, my arse. We couldn't beat the Scottish first XI and we certainly won't beat India as they will be preparing for next year - this one matters to them, tests, odis and t20s.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 22:22 - Jun 28 with 4181 viewsBlackCrowe

The England limited overs team are outrageously good. Test cricket is my true love but fck, these guys are something else. Huge huge talent, superb captain, belief and no fear. It's a joy.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 22:39 - Jun 28 with 4165 viewsCiderwithRsie

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 22:09 - Jun 28 by ElHoop

But they'd already won the Ashes - that was the real series. There's so much cricket these days - you have to pick and choose a bit. It strikes me that we are not winning the ones that really matter. Number 1 in the world at odi, my arse. We couldn't beat the Scottish first XI and we certainly won't beat India as they will be preparing for next year - this one matters to them, tests, odis and t20s.

That's not how Australia operate; England usually take their foot off the gas after the Ashes, Australia don't.

Black Crowe is right, this England ODI side are something else, and we don't even have our star all-rounder or best ODI pace bower available. The Scotland game means nothing, just one of those freaks white ball cricket throws up now and again.

It's typical of England that when we have a great side people whinge about it - either it doesn't count because it's the wrong sort of cricket, or the wrong opponents, or they weren't trying.

India will be a tough side to beat but let's see.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 22:57 - Jun 28 with 4159 viewsElHoop

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 22:39 - Jun 28 by CiderwithRsie

That's not how Australia operate; England usually take their foot off the gas after the Ashes, Australia don't.

Black Crowe is right, this England ODI side are something else, and we don't even have our star all-rounder or best ODI pace bower available. The Scotland game means nothing, just one of those freaks white ball cricket throws up now and again.

It's typical of England that when we have a great side people whinge about it - either it doesn't count because it's the wrong sort of cricket, or the wrong opponents, or they weren't trying.

India will be a tough side to beat but let's see.

It's typical of England to think that we have a great side when so much of the evidence suggests that we don't. I love cricket and want us to be a great side, but by any realistic appraisal we are only great when our opponents are not so bothered as we are. When the heat is really on we fall short at all levels.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 00:11 - Jun 29 with 4142 viewsCiderwithRsie

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 22:57 - Jun 28 by ElHoop

It's typical of England to think that we have a great side when so much of the evidence suggests that we don't. I love cricket and want us to be a great side, but by any realistic appraisal we are only great when our opponents are not so bothered as we are. When the heat is really on we fall short at all levels.

Evidence?
England ODI series since 2015 i.e. when Owen/Farbrace/Bayliss took over(latest first)
Beat Aus 5-0 (home)
Lost Scotland 1-0 (away)
Beat NZ 3-2 (away)
Beat Aus 4-1 (away)
Beat WI 4-0 (home)
Lost SF to trophy winners, Champions' Trophy (home)
Beat SA 2-1 (home)
Beat Ireland 2-0 (home)
Beat WI 3-0 (away)
Lost India 2-1 (away)
Beat Bangladesh 2-1 (away)
Beat Pakistan 4-1 (home)
Beat Sri Lanka 3-0 (home)
Lost South Africa 2-1 (away)
Beat Pakistan 3-1 (away)
Lost 3-2 Aus (home)
Beat NZ 3-2 (home)

So according to you the only opponents who were trying were Scotland, Pakistan in the Champs Trophy, India away in 2016-17, South Africa away in 2015-16 and Aus after we'd won the Ashes in 2015? (Much more likely England weren't bothered then or against Scotland actually) There is no evidence England aren't a bloody fine ODI side, and getting better since 2016 - none, zilch, nada.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 03:31 - Jun 29 with 4133 viewsjonno

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 22:57 - Jun 28 by ElHoop

Can't agree with that. Currently we are about the best white ball side in the world, but we do have serious issues in the longer format of the game. For a start, I'm not sure Root is the right man as skipper.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 07:16 - Jun 29 with 4104 viewsElHoop

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 00:11 - Jun 29 by CiderwithRsie

Evidence?
England ODI series since 2015 i.e. when Owen/Farbrace/Bayliss took over(latest first)
Beat Aus 5-0 (home)
Lost Scotland 1-0 (away)
Beat NZ 3-2 (away)
Beat Aus 4-1 (away)
Beat WI 4-0 (home)
Lost SF to trophy winners, Champions' Trophy (home)
Beat SA 2-1 (home)
Beat Ireland 2-0 (home)
Beat WI 3-0 (away)
Lost India 2-1 (away)
Beat Bangladesh 2-1 (away)
Beat Pakistan 4-1 (home)
Beat Sri Lanka 3-0 (home)
Lost South Africa 2-1 (away)
Beat Pakistan 3-1 (away)
Lost 3-2 Aus (home)
Beat NZ 3-2 (home)

So according to you the only opponents who were trying were Scotland, Pakistan in the Champs Trophy, India away in 2016-17, South Africa away in 2015-16 and Aus after we'd won the Ashes in 2015? (Much more likely England weren't bothered then or against Scotland actually) There is no evidence England aren't a bloody fine ODI side, and getting better since 2016 - none, zilch, nada.

Well we'll have to agree to differ won't we?

We are currently ranked 1 in the world, in an Ivan Lendl Luke Donald sort of way, but does that make us a 'great' side as you describe us? I went to the odi against the Aussies at the Oval, and didn't come away feeling as if I'd witnessed greatness in any shape or form. We restricted a not very goos Aussie side to not very many runs, mainly because we picked two spinners and also made some use of Root. The Aussies chose to leave out Lyon so they only had one proper spinner plus a few Root type spinners. In the end we made rather hard work of winning a dull game, despite the poor opposition and their poor selection. Time and time again we've blasted away and lost wickets unnecessarily and have made life difficult for ourselves - a great side wouldn't do that.

We didn't win the Champions Trophy last year, and we've never won the World Cup. If we do win the World Cup then I'll be happy to call this a great side, but when everyone else is at full strength in the World Cup our ranking will count for nothing.

There's so much cricket now that the odi matches just seem like fillers in the tv schedule for much of the time. It's just disposable cricket for me on many occasions. Against world class bowlers on fair pitches I think that we'll always struggle in the games that really matter - the ones offering silverware. That's because I don't think that the odi side has enough genuine world class players. The tests are a different matter. I'm a little more optimistic than I was on that front. I think that bringing back Buttler to the test side is a great move and Bess looks very promising as do the Currans. If Stokes can keep out of jail then we might just cobble together a decent outfit if we can find a few more batsmen from somewhere.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 08:48 - Jun 29 with 4084 viewsCiderwithRsie

Well, it's a matter of perspective - I don't say that we're "great" like Lloyd's WIndies or Ponting's Aussies, but at a time when ODI cricket has stepped up a gear we're top of the world and I bridle a bit at anyone wanting to denigrate that.

Most of the time the ICC rankings are dead right IMO especially if you look at the detail, it's one of those things where the stats have a big enough sample, and the thing you're measuring is objective enough, to make sense. We're top but only by 4 "ratings" from India - in context India are 9 clear of SA and we're 26 clear of Aus; or if you look at the Test rankings India are top and 13 "ratings" clear of SA second place, with us at 5th and 28 ratings from the top (actually closer to WI who are effectively bottom.) All of that seems about right to me.

I'm cautiously pleased about the direction of the Test side too but still think that we need something different in the seam attack - express pace, or height, or reverse but something; and at least one more adhesive batsman who can play a test innings when the ball is doing a bit; and a match-winning spinner - so the work so far seems no more than a start.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 08:54 - Jun 29 with 4081 viewsTheChef

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 08:48 - Jun 29 by CiderwithRsie

Well, it's a matter of perspective - I don't say that we're "great" like Lloyd's WIndies or Ponting's Aussies, but at a time when ODI cricket has stepped up a gear we're top of the world and I bridle a bit at anyone wanting to denigrate that.

Most of the time the ICC rankings are dead right IMO especially if you look at the detail, it's one of those things where the stats have a big enough sample, and the thing you're measuring is objective enough, to make sense. We're top but only by 4 "ratings" from India - in context India are 9 clear of SA and we're 26 clear of Aus; or if you look at the Test rankings India are top and 13 "ratings" clear of SA second place, with us at 5th and 28 ratings from the top (actually closer to WI who are effectively bottom.) All of that seems about right to me.

I'm cautiously pleased about the direction of the Test side too but still think that we need something different in the seam attack - express pace, or height, or reverse but something; and at least one more adhesive batsman who can play a test innings when the ball is doing a bit; and a match-winning spinner - so the work so far seems no more than a start.

Bigger concern with the Test side is the batting - we don't have anyone (except maybe Cook) who can bat time.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 09:05 - Jun 29 with 4077 viewsElHoop

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 08:48 - Jun 29 by CiderwithRsie

We rarely have proper quick bowlers over here, unless we nick them off of the Windies at a young age. Despite the Aussies being crap, Stanlake was pretty impressive at the Oval i thought. We don't have anyone like that, not that i know of anyway, and they have plenty more of course. However, if we could hold the Indians in the test series then I'd see that as progress. I think that India will see us off in the other two codes - there's not a huge difference between their test side and the odi side, when they want it that way. Again I'd be very impressed if we were to hold them in either limited over code, let alone beat them.

I want us to be good at everything, but this number 1 ranking is papering over quite a few cracks in my view, and as such it's a bit of a liability in terms of our chances of winning the World Cup.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 23:32 - Jul 17 with 3986 viewsCiderwithRsie

Maybe time to review this with the India T20 and ODI series over.

Some evidence for Elhoop's views - England hammered in the first games of each series and ended up losing the T20 2-1. India will certainly be a handful.

But we won the ODI 2-1 - stuffed in the first game, bounced back to win the second by a big margin and frankly cruised the decider. Excellent response to Kuldeep Yadav who went from unplayable to being outclassed by the England spinners.

Given that Stokes missed the first T20s and still looks very rusty and Roy missed the final ODI I think that's pretty convincing in the 50 over format - for some reason we're nowhere near as good in T20.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 08:30 - Jul 18 with 3902 viewsElHoop

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 23:32 - Jul 17 by CiderwithRsie

Maybe time to review this with the India T20 and ODI series over.

Some evidence for Elhoop's views - England hammered in the first games of each series and ended up losing the T20 2-1. India will certainly be a handful.

But we won the ODI 2-1 - stuffed in the first game, bounced back to win the second by a big margin and frankly cruised the decider. Excellent response to Kuldeep Yadav who went from unplayable to being outclassed by the England spinners.

Given that Stokes missed the first T20s and still looks very rusty and Roy missed the final ODI I think that's pretty convincing in the 50 over format - for some reason we're nowhere near as good in T20.

We were a lot better than I envisaged. I think that both sides had some injury/selection problems - India definitely aren't the same without Bumrah who injured his thumb against Ireland and hasn't played at all so far - he's out of the first three tests too apparently. So he's going to be an unknown factor next year. I'm not sure that Dhoni is still up to it - surely it's time for them to move on with a new keeper now?

Against that, Root seems to have come back to his best when we needed him and Rashid has been bowling better than ever. We looked a bit less carefree in our batting, particularly when Root is around, so I'm a bit more optimistic about our chances next year. But if they had Bumrah playing and Root was injured then I'm not sure that I'd be so confident. A year is a long time but we do seem to be moving forward at the moment.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 09:12 - Jul 18 with 3867 viewsCiderwithRsie

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 08:30 - Jul 18 by ElHoop

We were a lot better than I envisaged. I think that both sides had some injury/selection problems - India definitely aren't the same without Bumrah who injured his thumb against Ireland and hasn't played at all so far - he's out of the first three tests too apparently. So he's going to be an unknown factor next year. I'm not sure that Dhoni is still up to it - surely it's time for them to move on with a new keeper now?

Against that, Root seems to have come back to his best when we needed him and Rashid has been bowling better than ever. We looked a bit less carefree in our batting, particularly when Root is around, so I'm a bit more optimistic about our chances next year. But if they had Bumrah playing and Root was injured then I'm not sure that I'd be so confident. A year is a long time but we do seem to be moving forward at the moment.

Agree with all of that.

There seems some sign that with Root and Buttler we're moving towards batsmen who have more than one way of playing (KP could do it too.)
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 09:13 - Jul 18 with 3865 viewsEsox_Lucius

That ball from Rashid!!! The look on Virat Kohli's face said it all. That was right up there with the best of the Shane Warne or Murali wickets.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 12:21]

The grass is always greener.

Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 11:18 - Jul 18 with 3807 viewsmikeygunn

I went yesterday and it was a very odd innings by India, didn’t start going for it till the last 2-3 overs and they had 3 wickets left. Another strange Dhoni batting performance too. You felt England had another 2-3 gears but it was perfect for root to finish with his ton.
Anyone enjoying the cricket? on 11:40 - Jul 18 with 3771 viewsElHoop

Looks as if Kumar is out of the test series - he was struggling with a back problem and aggravated it yesterday. So at the moment their best two quicks are out. I think that we've got a decent chance in the test series especially if Bumrah's comeback is delayed. It could be a fun series.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024