Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? 01:01 - Jul 12 with 6901 viewsDylanP

I'm bitterly disappointed. F.U.C.K. This was the year. There was the song; and all the people throwing their beer in the air every time we scored; and the song; and all the young, skillful-looking players, playing good football. Oh and, did I mention that this was the year we had a shot -- and that bloody song raising all my bloody hopes! Damn you Baddiel/Skinner!

Then again, it possible that in a few weeks I might look back and be pleased because, objectively, we did better than I actually expected. Its also possible that there are human beings mature enough to be able to think that now.

What about you? Did you expect us to screw up all along, so you are kinda relieved when we finally reverted to form? Or are you (like me) just reminded of why you hate football and never want to see another game ever again? EVER! (until Saturday, of course)

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 01:12 - Jul 12 with 3957 viewsRangersw12

Just got in , absolutely gutted and we will probably never get a better chance to win it
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 01:20 - Jul 12 with 3948 viewstimcocking

Bitterly disappointed.

When we scored so early, i thought it might not help. It seemed almost too easy, England started to get complacent. All that time pissballing about trying to beat players in our own penalty area just started handing it to them. England got complacent and in the end, no doubt Croatia deserved to win that. They were by far the best team for the last hour. I think we had one shot on target in more than 2 hours.

All that playing around in defence, wtf is the point of it? Especially when we then hit a long ball.

Ps What i will say, for periods in the tournament, it's the best we've looked for a long time. Damn.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 01:28 - Jul 12 with 3943 viewsJigsore

our midfield is severely anaemic. they've done well to get as far as they did considering Henderson has practically played by himself half the tournament. from what's a fairly thin squad anyway you wonder what could have been if Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lallana hadn't been injured and if Alli or Kane were truly fit.

i'm truly surprised Croatia didn't tire to be honest (apart from Mandzukic, who spent at least 5 minutes lying on the floor in ET alone). if they were Russian they'd have been accused of doping. i'm not saying they are, i'm just saying it's a weird double standard. and it's rankling with me to see people rub it in with the most unfancied England side for about 30 years get narrowly beaten by Croatia's best team ever. but anyway at the end of the day Stones switched off and we got punished, that's tough luck. well done boys.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 04:24 - Jul 12 with 3874 viewsSydneyRs

Gutted. Thought we could at least make the final. We do lack creativity in open play and are prone to conceding a goal. Should have been 2-0 up in the first half.

I think England are for the first time in a long time definitely on the right track though. We got outdone by experience.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 5:58]
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 05:03 - Jul 12 with 3855 viewsozexile

Started off gutted, then proud., now back to gutted. We were carrying too many players through the tournament. Plus I believe crying out for a change of formation in the second half. Roll on 2020.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 08:11 - Jul 12 with 3607 viewsRs_Holy

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 05:03 - Jul 12 by ozexile

Started off gutted, then proud., now back to gutted. We were carrying too many players through the tournament. Plus I believe crying out for a change of formation in the second half. Roll on 2020.

everyone I've heard since the match keeps saying we played really well in the first half but I dont think we did. Yes we were better than Croatia but they were so poor for 60 minutes and we did'nt really capitalise.
If we had shown some more ambition in that first hour we would have got a second goal and that would have been enough to win the match.
We need a couple of additions in midfield and we need to show a lot more savvy in the final third of the pitch, but it is a very young squad so we cant expect too much right now.
France in the final would have been a total mis-match ... they are way ahead of us right now.
Overall its been a good tournament and the manager and players have restored some pride again..... I'd say I'm in the Pleased camp.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 9:21]
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 08:35 - Jul 12 with 3544 viewspaulparker

im gutted we threw it away , we should have been 2-0 up by h/t but we sat back and let them get at us, I was screaming at the tv for us to "hold the ball" 10 minutes before they scored and we didn't , it was oh so predictable and we resorted to hoofing it
we needed a midfielder to come on like delph for Ali at around 60 minutes to harass them as they were getting down our left hand side at ease , Ali gave young no cover at all , Southgate and his subs were poor , I thought we missed a player like the Ox
all in all though its been enjoyable I don't want this world cup to end and fair play to everyone involved with England they gave everything no one hid and a few like kane/ali played with injuries and that's all you can ask that they give their all
if you look back we have had success at U17, U20, the Toulon tournament , and now a semi final of the big one and we have players coming through like Sessagnon, Grealish, Sancho, Cook, Brewster, Lacelles Lookman, Foden , our youngsters are going to German clubs, Players like Stones, Maguire, Ali, Lingaard, Kane, Pickford , Henderson , Rashford , RLC, Trent alexander, Tripper have another 2 /3 tournaments in them at least and we have players like ox, Gomez, Lallana, to comeback, plus hopefully the likes of Barkley, Shaw , Wilshire can get their acts together and push to get back in
things look a lot better than what they did 2 years ago we just need to push on

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 08:37 - Jul 12 with 3536 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Gutted. We could and should have put them to the sword in that first half - they have Lovren in defence FFS. Doubt we'll ever have a better chance given how absurd this World Cup has been.
Login to get fewer ads

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 08:39 - Jul 12 with 3530 viewsTheChef

Fcking frustrated this morning.

1-0 up, in the box seat. Should have been 2-0 up by half time. With that two goal cushion Croatia would have had to press more and leave themselves more open at the back on the counter.

What an opportunity , such a shame not to take it.

France would probably be too strong in the final, but in a one off game, who knows?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 08:44 - Jul 12 with 3517 viewsblacky200

In two minds here. Before the start if someone said a semi final appearance I'd have grabbed it but now I think we have blown a big chance to win it.
This is a good squad that will hopefully improve but I think we are missing a key midfielder and the defence needs to learn to concentrate. In the QF and SF all 3 goals against us were the result of sloppy defending. And particularly last night in the final quarter of the game the Croatians targeted Kyle Walker and got a lot of joy. Creatively in midfield we lack creating chances and also lack experience to hold on to the ball and slow the game down when the opposition are on the up.
May be harsh to criticise this young team but I do think it is a massive chance missed.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 08:59 - Jul 12 with 3459 viewsdavman

Not surprised, but gutted. They were not a great team, but probably better than anyone else we played.

Just wtf was Kane playing so deep for? He is not Wayne bloody Rooney. Get in the bow and stay there!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:01 - Jul 12 with 3457 viewsElHoop

Gutted is the only word to describe the morning after the night before.

1. I think that the starting XI is a good XI and Southgate got that right. He was right to stick with that side.
2. We don't have adequate reserves. Almost anyone of the starting XI who went off left us weaker as a unit, as the subs just weren't good enough to replace them or even get close.
3. Given the above, we should have tried harder to put our opponents to the sword on the first half. When we did that and achieved it we looked impressive. When we failed, such as against Colombia and last night, we looked poor the longer the game went on.
4. For the future, we'll struggle to replace Young, whose delivery at set pieces will be particularly missed. Some creativity in midfield wouldn't do any harm although i don't agree with those who say that this cost us the game last night. We had several chances to despatch Croatia in the first half and we didn't take them. However having more strings to your bow is never going to be a negative.

So, 'disappointed and not too sure how easy it will be to improve on this' is how i would sum it up. We got back our respect as a national team and that really pleases me - maybe that's the most important thing at the end of the day, but this morning's empty feeling is not the end of that day.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 9:22]
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:16 - Jul 12 with 3400 viewsNW5Hoop

First time I've really liked an England team since 1990, which I didn't expect: I started off the tournament with my usual misery-guts kneejerk dislike of any England team. By the end I was really sad for them.

But, to be honest, they didn't play enormously well throughout, did they? Leaving aside the Belgium game, they were just about good enough to beat the teams with some semblance of skill, none of whom played that well themselves. But I don't mind: it was just lovely to have an England team and England fans who seemed to be making the most of things, rather than creating crises to wallow in. They made it feel good to support to England, which is enough of a rarity to be celebrated.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:18 - Jul 12 with 3398 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Bring on Staines Town that's what I say!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:28 - Jul 12 with 3357 viewsGloucs_R

Harsh reality but we played two decent teams and lost both games. We dominated first halves, but didn't finish teams off. We beat an average Colombia team on penalties. Let's be honest, we had a pretty easy ride in comparison to France. Better than I thought we'd do so not disappointed

Poll: Are we staying up?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:33 - Jul 12 with 3338 viewsstevec

Disappointed to lose obviously, but in a strange way relieved, for the sake of the World Cup, we didn't progress to possibly winning the final.

First off, we did brilliant, for that team to reach the semi finals was a huge achievement, both the players and manager deserve all the credit coming to them. But I recall being far more gutted when we lost out in 1990 for the simple reason, the 90's team was good enough and would have thoroughly deserved to go on to win the World Cup.

That side had some class players, this side at the moment, doesn't. That's not to say it won't, I'd love to see them progress with a few additions in future years and actually look like a side that is borderline invincible. Only then should we have the satisfaction of another World Cup winning team.

A World Cup winning side should be about Pele's Brazil, Beckenbauer's West Germany, Maradona's Argentina, Zidane's France, superb teams with a dynamic individual. That or something along the lines of a Spain team of outstanding players.

Don't think there's anyone near that this time round, but a Mbappe inspired France would be a deserved winner, a Modric led Croatia a decent 2nd. They are the two deserving finalists.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:38 - Jul 12 with 3328 viewsMyke

I am an Irishman and could never figure out the logic of my fellow countrymen who follow an English club yet hate the national team and always want them to fail. I mean if you want to be political or patriotic about it why support an English club in the first place?
Anyway, objectively I don't think England contained enough players of top international standard to win it. For me, Stones, Young, Lingaard and McGuire are simply not good enough at this level, with question marks over Sterling , Trippier and Henderson (although the latter two had decent tournaments). But maybe that is the case with most countries, that they only contain four or five top quality players and the rest are a level below that. I think the worst thing that happened for hammering a really crap Panama (we'd have beaten them) and people starting to get carried away by the media driven hype.
Subjectively Ashley Young winning the world cup would be akin to Mark Hughes winning the premier league so not sorry on that account.
Overall, I think Southgate should be pleased with the progress made and see if he can build on it for the Euro's. I'll be hoping they do well (as long as Rose replaces Young permanently).
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:44 - Jul 12 with 3305 viewspaulparker

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:18 - Jul 12 by CliveWilsonSaid

Bring on Staines Town that's what I say!

I never thought I would say this but I couldn't give a monkeys about QPR at the moment

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:52 - Jul 12 with 3270 viewshubble

Proud and kind of glad it's all over. The tension was too much. I think we massively over-achieved with that squad, which is a great tribute to Southgate and the team. The match against Colombia was the highlight for me, mindblowing tension, anger followed by massive elation. I think France would have mullered us, so again, kind of glad we're not facing that humiliation.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 10:15 - Jul 12 with 3211 viewsoldmisery

I told my kids that I've seen something they never will and that is a senior England team winning at either European or World level. In a year where only France look a reasonable side, other 'big' nations such as Spain, Germany, Portugal, Brazil and Argentina have been poor and Holland and Italy so poor they didn't even qualify - and given the favourable draw we will probably never again get a better chance to make the Final.

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh but the fact that we fell at the final hurdle against a country with a very small population says a lot to me about the English psyche and the absence of a winning mentality - but then again, as my kids tell me, I'm just an old misery.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 10:19 - Jul 12 with 3187 viewsBklynRanger

Norn Iron will always be my true love (fcuking Swiss) but supported England throughout, so I very much share the gutted feeling this morning. It really would have been nice to have changed the script of going out in the semis. I know that script hadn't been dusted off for 28 years but I remember it well from last time.

France would have been very tough, especially on an extra day of rest and after extra time, but anything can happen in a final.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 10:20]
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 10:33 - Jul 12 with 3139 viewsMonahoop

Disappointed, but not surprised England lost really. Began well, couldn't capitalise on a bright start and in the end beaten by a tough, resilient Croatia who I think will win the cup. England surpassed all expectations with that young squad. It will be nice to see it move on under Southgate, the country's best manager since Venables imo.

Not disappointed to hear the end of that bloody song and subtle reminders of 1966 at least for another 4 years. Let's move on to the future.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 10:35 - Jul 12 with 3134 viewshopphoops

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:33 - Jul 12 by stevec

Disappointed to lose obviously, but in a strange way relieved, for the sake of the World Cup, we didn't progress to possibly winning the final.

First off, we did brilliant, for that team to reach the semi finals was a huge achievement, both the players and manager deserve all the credit coming to them. But I recall being far more gutted when we lost out in 1990 for the simple reason, the 90's team was good enough and would have thoroughly deserved to go on to win the World Cup.

That side had some class players, this side at the moment, doesn't. That's not to say it won't, I'd love to see them progress with a few additions in future years and actually look like a side that is borderline invincible. Only then should we have the satisfaction of another World Cup winning team.

A World Cup winning side should be about Pele's Brazil, Beckenbauer's West Germany, Maradona's Argentina, Zidane's France, superb teams with a dynamic individual. That or something along the lines of a Spain team of outstanding players.

Don't think there's anyone near that this time round, but a Mbappe inspired France would be a deserved winner, a Modric led Croatia a decent 2nd. They are the two deserving finalists.

Good post. And conversely, the England team is about so much more than winning trophies, it's great that it's something to aspire to again.

Also I can't remember a team better prepared for the task in hand. Southgate for PM?

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 10:37 - Jul 12 with 3124 viewsDeepcutHoop

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 10:33 - Jul 12 by Monahoop

Disappointed, but not surprised England lost really. Began well, couldn't capitalise on a bright start and in the end beaten by a tough, resilient Croatia who I think will win the cup. England surpassed all expectations with that young squad. It will be nice to see it move on under Southgate, the country's best manager since Venables imo.

Not disappointed to hear the end of that bloody song and subtle reminders of 1966 at least for another 4 years. Let's move on to the future.

2 years, it'll all be back for the Euros tbh

We overachieved massively, due to a squad togertheness and canny management that we haven't seen in years.

Some people got overexcited, and seem to be struggling with the concept of not winning.

Welcome to being a fan of most football clubs. This is what football is to most of us.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 10:47 - Jul 12 with 3084 views2Thomas2Bowles

Lost my love for the England team a long while ago so I tend to look at them without rose glasses so not disappointed just realistic.

I thought Southgate did not have a plan B and was too loyal to a few players.

Our midfield were never in the game and he could have gone more defensive with a 451 before they scored and seen the game out
Poor game management from him and the players
I do think a lot of changes are needed and some of the younger players we have pushing to get in should now be looked at as there is a danger of standing still with this squad as we have often done before.
Southgate's loyalty worries me.

The Venables Influence Humm if you were around when he was our manager you would know he would have shut up the defense and midfield.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 10:57]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024