Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luongo 11:30 - Jul 15 with 11089 viewsbosh67

I hear vague mumbles that he may be on his way? Anyone heard if he is staying or going? Huge loss if he goes.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Luongo on 07:26 - Jul 17 with 2822 viewsHayesender

Whatever happened to the lad we bought from Swindon with Luongo?

The name escapes me

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Luongo on 07:51 - Jul 17 with 2750 viewshoopdog

Luongo on 07:26 - Jul 17 by Hayesender

Whatever happened to the lad we bought from Swindon with Luongo?

The name escapes me

Gladwin best forgotten
Luongo on 07:58 - Jul 17 with 2721 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Luongo on 07:51 - Jul 17 by hoopdog

Gladwin best forgotten

As in, Gladwin he left.

Didn't work out, went to Blackburn if memory serves. But I don't think he's pulled up any trees there so far.

Of course, he's nailed on to deliver a command performance that redefines football when we play them.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Luongo on 08:12 - Jul 17 with 2694 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I think we'd miss Luongo fiercely if he had to move on. We have nobody who does what he does even half as well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Luongo on 09:06 - Jul 17 with 2644 viewsRangersDave

Triffic player that Vague Mumbles, good engine, pleased for the lad.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Luongo on 21:22 - Jul 17 with 2483 viewshubble

How long before Luongo is Luongone?

Not this season I hope, McClaren should build the team around him.
Luongo on 00:05 - Jul 18 with 2387 viewsMyke

Luongo on 08:12 - Jul 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I think we'd miss Luongo fiercely if he had to move on. We have nobody who does what he does even half as well.

What is it exactly Brian that he does so well that we would miss so fiercely? I have only ever seen him on TV, but he has never struck me as a vital cog in the machine. He grafts away, puts in some decent challenges, scores a few goals, (recently), but I can't see that a fully fit Cousins or a more experienced Manning wouldn't offer at least as good an input into any given match.
Moreover, if we are that dependent on a player who didn't get a moments games time at the WC in a very average Ozzie team, then that is quite concerning.
To me the loss of Scowen's 'ratty' contribution (particularly in light of our on-going CB issues), or Freeman's creativity further up the park, would be much more keenly felt.
Luongo (n/t) on 00:15 - Jul 18 with 2377 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Luongo on 00:05 - Jul 18 by Myke

What is it exactly Brian that he does so well that we would miss so fiercely? I have only ever seen him on TV, but he has never struck me as a vital cog in the machine. He grafts away, puts in some decent challenges, scores a few goals, (recently), but I can't see that a fully fit Cousins or a more experienced Manning wouldn't offer at least as good an input into any given match.
Moreover, if we are that dependent on a player who didn't get a moments games time at the WC in a very average Ozzie team, then that is quite concerning.
To me the loss of Scowen's 'ratty' contribution (particularly in light of our on-going CB issues), or Freeman's creativity further up the park, would be much more keenly felt.

[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 0:19]
Login to get fewer ads

Luongo on 09:25 - Jul 18 with 2249 viewsEsox_Lucius

I am privileged to have an excellent view from the front row of the Upper Loft behind the goal and last season the benefit of having Luongo in the side was there to see in almost every game. It wasn't just when he was on the ball but his positioning and reading of the game from midfield was what enabled him to have the most impressive stats and the fact that he began to add goals to his game makes him one of the first names on the teamsheet, when fit, and a good way ahead of either Cousins or Manning. Freeman's creativity is, hopefully, covered now with Eze's presence in the squad and Chair looks a good prospect too for that role. Scowen is the one player we don't seem to have a direct replacement for in the side and this could be telling, even if he stays, as towards the end of last season he definitely went off the boil and (possibly my imagination) I think he picked up quite a few bookings as a result. I am hoping Grant Hall gives us a full season as he may be the one to cover that role.

The grass is always greener.

Luongo on 10:59 - Jul 18 with 2158 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just seen this, Myke.

Like you, I watch most of the games on the Offish but I've seen Luongo live a good few times as well. Esox's post below covers it all, I think.

The main asset he has, I think, is his positioning. Scowen has great positioning in front of the centre-halfs but Luongo has it further forwards. As well as being very good (at our level) in a defensive role (positioning, marking, tackling, pressing) he knows where to be once the play goes into centrefield as well, always available, always free, always seeking to move it on quickly. Now he has finally got his shooting boots in, he's come on a level in an attacking sense, too.

In old-school terms, he can run a game. And he can do it better than any of our other centre-mids, I think.

Luongo on 16:21 - Jul 18 with 2002 viewskensalriser

My mind is well and truly boggled that, on the basis of all the evidence in front of us, anyone could imagine that Cousins or Manning is anywhere near Luongo. Manning is still a rookie and Cousins, even if he was at Luongo's level, which he's not, has a poor fitness record and even the best player in the world isn't much use if he's not available.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Luongo on 18:35 - Jul 18 with 1897 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Luongo on 16:21 - Jul 18 by kensalriser

My mind is well and truly boggled that, on the basis of all the evidence in front of us, anyone could imagine that Cousins or Manning is anywhere near Luongo. Manning is still a rookie and Cousins, even if he was at Luongo's level, which he's not, has a poor fitness record and even the best player in the world isn't much use if he's not available.

Who gives a fck about evidence.

I wonder if it's a perception problem. If Massimo Luongo's name was Norman Ramsbottom and he looked like Jordan Pickford, would people receive him better?

His name suggests Andrea Pirlo but his style suggests David Batty.
Luongo on 22:58 - Jul 18 with 1729 viewsMyke

Luongo on 09:25 - Jul 18 by Esox_Lucius

I am privileged to have an excellent view from the front row of the Upper Loft behind the goal and last season the benefit of having Luongo in the side was there to see in almost every game. It wasn't just when he was on the ball but his positioning and reading of the game from midfield was what enabled him to have the most impressive stats and the fact that he began to add goals to his game makes him one of the first names on the teamsheet, when fit, and a good way ahead of either Cousins or Manning. Freeman's creativity is, hopefully, covered now with Eze's presence in the squad and Chair looks a good prospect too for that role. Scowen is the one player we don't seem to have a direct replacement for in the side and this could be telling, even if he stays, as towards the end of last season he definitely went off the boil and (possibly my imagination) I think he picked up quite a few bookings as a result. I am hoping Grant Hall gives us a full season as he may be the one to cover that role.

Thanks for that Esox . The problem with watching games on the box is, apart from being infrequent, the camera obviously follows the ball, so any off the ball work goes unnoticed. Do you think Manning could achieve that level with more experience or would the Cousins who played for Charlton ( and I hope we'll see this year) be capable of reaching Luongo's levels?
That said I still stand by my assertion that either of the other mid-field trio would be more missed. Eze due to his youth is going to be inconsistent this season and also does not do a fraction of Freeman's tracking back
Scowen is vital in Hall's extended (indefinite?) absence especially in front of an uncertain CB pairing who are in turn in front of a rookie keeper. As Hunter said in another post Tendinitis is a bugger and the only real cure is rest. I used to play footie with a big tank of a man - he'd go through you for a short-cut - but tendinitis forced him to quit and that was only a middle-aged men knockabout. I genuinely fear for Hall's career, which would be a hell of a shame.
Luongo on 23:03 - Jul 18 with 1724 viewsMyke

Luongo on 10:59 - Jul 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Just seen this, Myke.

Like you, I watch most of the games on the Offish but I've seen Luongo live a good few times as well. Esox's post below covers it all, I think.

The main asset he has, I think, is his positioning. Scowen has great positioning in front of the centre-halfs but Luongo has it further forwards. As well as being very good (at our level) in a defensive role (positioning, marking, tackling, pressing) he knows where to be once the play goes into centrefield as well, always available, always free, always seeking to move it on quickly. Now he has finally got his shooting boots in, he's come on a level in an attacking sense, too.

In old-school terms, he can run a game. And he can do it better than any of our other centre-mids, I think.

Cheers for reply Brian. Like I said in my reply to Esox, I do value Luongo's contribution, But I still feel he is more replaceable within the squad than either Scowen or Freeman
Luongo on 23:24 - Jul 18 with 1689 viewsHunterhoop

Luongo on 23:03 - Jul 18 by Myke

Cheers for reply Brian. Like I said in my reply to Esox, I do value Luongo's contribution, But I still feel he is more replaceable within the squad than either Scowen or Freeman

I’ve said it before, and for many of the reasons mentioned and more, I think he’s our best player and the most important. Off the ball when out of possession - most tackles. Off the ball in possession always showing and making runs. In possession, comfortable and can drive forward, and top goalscorer from central midfield.

I think he makes us tick more than anyone else. Would be hugely missed. Not irreplaceable but neither Manning nor Cousins are close.
Luongo on 23:31 - Jul 18 with 1677 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Kind of where I am on this. In our current position, i.e. if we have to sell before we can strengthen. He's an obvious option to free up a bit of cash/wages (only if someone wants to buy him of course). Would give Manning and others an opportunity in that position.

It would be a risk, it's always a risk selling your best players. I feel similarly about Sylla, although we'd need to find a replacement for him from elsewhere, which won't be easy.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Luongo on 23:55 - Jul 18 with 1631 viewsBrianMcCarthy

No bother, Myke. I rate Freeman and Scowen very highly as well, so I get that.

It's all very subjective anyway and in the eye of the beholder.

Luongo on 00:20 - Jul 19 with 1609 viewsqueensparker

I’ll be really surprised if someone doesn’t snap him up before kick off tbh - for me like others have said he was our best player last year. Like a budget Kante, he puts in some incredible yards and tackles and when he wasn’t playing it was so apparent. Plus he’s now scoring too

I hope he stays, losing him, Ned, Robinson and Smithies would mean we’re going to really struggle to defend, and we were hardly Juventus circa 1991 in that department in the first place
Luongo on 01:32 - Jul 19 with 1575 viewstimcocking

Lets be honest, there have been many signs that Luongo won't be here, hence the fact i did say we didn't get a goodbye.

Fingers crossed he'll be here, but it'll hardly be a surprise if he isn't. I'm growing concerened we'll lose Freeman too.

I think we have the players to be able to cope without Mass anyway. It's still defence that worries me. I've never known a team to actively plan on playing their third and fourth choice centre backs for the upcoming season, especially a team with a knew goalkeeper and loads of teenagers. We are being Royally fcuked over it appears. I really hope they know something i don't, because that's how it looks. I've gone from optimistic to bloody petrified.
Luongo on 01:42 - Jul 19 with 1572 viewsMyke

Luongo on 01:32 - Jul 19 by timcocking

Lets be honest, there have been many signs that Luongo won't be here, hence the fact i did say we didn't get a goodbye.

Fingers crossed he'll be here, but it'll hardly be a surprise if he isn't. I'm growing concerened we'll lose Freeman too.

I think we have the players to be able to cope without Mass anyway. It's still defence that worries me. I've never known a team to actively plan on playing their third and fourth choice centre backs for the upcoming season, especially a team with a knew goalkeeper and loads of teenagers. We are being Royally fcuked over it appears. I really hope they know something i don't, because that's how it looks. I've gone from optimistic to bloody petrified.

I agree, critical that we get at least one more CB in and asap to give him a chance to bed in. Preferably someone with Championship experience too, we are all pleased with Leistner's signing, but definitely think we need someone with a bit of know-how at this level. Finance,, as always, makes this seem unlikely however, so I'd settle for a good league 1 defender with pace and mobility.
Luongo on 08:13 - Jul 19 with 1444 viewsBlue_Castello

Luongo on 23:24 - Jul 18 by Hunterhoop

I’ve said it before, and for many of the reasons mentioned and more, I think he’s our best player and the most important. Off the ball when out of possession - most tackles. Off the ball in possession always showing and making runs. In possession, comfortable and can drive forward, and top goalscorer from central midfield.

I think he makes us tick more than anyone else. Would be hugely missed. Not irreplaceable but neither Manning nor Cousins are close.

Agreed regularly watching him from R block he makes our midfield "tick", we could see when he arrived from Swindon that he had a touch of class and he's grown as a player ever since he's arrived.

IMO - Whereas quite the opposite can be said about Cousins, fair enough he's been played out of position a number of times but he's just not lived up to expectations, his all round game isn't anywhere near Luongos and he needs to improve rapidly if he's going to stay at the club. Maybe Manning could step up because there's plenty of potential but he's a long way to go to achieve Luongos level.
Really hope we can keep Luongo but he is now probably our most saleable asset, fingers crossed we start the season with him as Captain.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2018 8:22]
Luongo on 09:55 - Jul 19 with 1352 viewsLazyFan

Looks like Spuds maybe in for Grealish. Around a silly season £20m mark (Villa want a crazy £30m). If so, Villa may then use some of that cash to buy Luongo, possibly for £6m as we are mugs.

If it happens it will all be on deadline day, as Villa are broke and everyone knows it. So, Spuds will wait until then to make the offer no doubt.

Means we shall sell and not have time to use the money to buy a CB and a striker that we need.

The first 5 games look very tough. Another long hard season awaits.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

Luongo on 10:41 - Jul 19 with 1268 viewstraininvain

Luongo on 09:55 - Jul 19 by LazyFan

Looks like Spuds maybe in for Grealish. Around a silly season £20m mark (Villa want a crazy £30m). If so, Villa may then use some of that cash to buy Luongo, possibly for £6m as we are mugs.

If it happens it will all be on deadline day, as Villa are broke and everyone knows it. So, Spuds will wait until then to make the offer no doubt.

Means we shall sell and not have time to use the money to buy a CB and a striker that we need.

The first 5 games look very tough. Another long hard season awaits.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

£6m for Luongo... i like him but i'd take that.

Not sure i follow the logic of Luongo replacing Grealish. Two very different players.
Luongo on 10:46 - Jul 19 with 1256 viewsAntti_Heinola

Everyone else covered why he is such a good player elsewhere very well - but the Ozzie team thing you mention - he was competing with Mooy and Jedinak. I love Mass, but he's not as good as Mooy, who is really good IMO. And while he is closer to an ageing Jedinak, Mile is a real leader, scored a couple of pens, and has huge authority, size and strength. Tough to break past those two.

Bare bones.

Luongo on 10:55 - Jul 19 with 1218 viewsstevec

Luongo on 10:41 - Jul 19 by traininvain

£6m for Luongo... i like him but i'd take that.

Not sure i follow the logic of Luongo replacing Grealish. Two very different players.

£6m ??!! As the saying goes, I'd drive him there myself.

We'd have a lovely time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024