Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today at Wimbledon — Column 14:41 - Jul 15 with 6115 viewsNorthernr

Few bits and pieces on yesterday's friendly....

Today at Wimbledon — Column 15th Jul 2018 14:34
What better way to forget the inevitable, crushing disappointment of England’s World Cup exit by embarking on the inevitable, crushing disappointment of QPR’s 2018/19 campaign? LFW climbed back on the horse at Wimbledon on Saturday… 18

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 15:07 - Jul 16 with 1610 viewsdannyblue

To make that work we need players who go beyond Smith. I don't think Freeman or Eze will. They're both ball to feet types. And I haven't seen too much evidence of BOS doing it. So my fear is it will all get too congested.

When we won the league, Mackie went beyond Helguson and scored, what was it, 8 in 8? He's neither a winger nor a striker and relies on hard work. Very unlikely I know, but if we played 4231, Washington could reprise that role. So could Wheeler (if we're to believe what we've read about him). Smyth would be even better.
Today at Wimbledon — Column on 15:28 - Jul 16 with 1562 viewsNorthernr

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 15:07 - Jul 16 by dannyblue

To make that work we need players who go beyond Smith. I don't think Freeman or Eze will. They're both ball to feet types. And I haven't seen too much evidence of BOS doing it. So my fear is it will all get too congested.

When we won the league, Mackie went beyond Helguson and scored, what was it, 8 in 8? He's neither a winger nor a striker and relies on hard work. Very unlikely I know, but if we played 4231, Washington could reprise that role. So could Wheeler (if we're to believe what we've read about him). Smyth would be even better.

Little Smyth could do that. We looked a lot better on Saturday once he was on.
Today at Wimbledon — Column on 15:50 - Jul 16 with 1507 viewsTheChef

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 15:28 - Jul 16 by Northernr

Little Smyth could do that. We looked a lot better on Saturday once he was on.

Yes I hope/expect to see a lot more of Smyth this season.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 15:56 - Jul 16 with 1495 viewsPinnerPaul

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 10:40 - Jul 16 by Rs_Holy

"Consequently McLaren gets remembered almost exclusively for the Wally with the Brolly debacle whilst getting the QPR of the North, Middlesbro, to a League Cup win and to a UEFA cup final are both forgotten".

Yes, 'the Wally with the Brolly' gets mentioned alot but in fairness they do know that he won the Top League in Holland and did very well at Boro.
The overiding opinion is that he's lost his mojo and has failed at every one of his recent jobs.

Not quite - universally accepted he did a good job here 'helping', ie doing his job, for Harry.
Today at Wimbledon — Column on 16:34 - Jul 16 with 1445 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Just another cook
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 16:36]
Today at Wimbledon — Column on 16:50 - Jul 16 with 1419 viewsMyke

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 15:50 - Jul 16 by TheChef

Yes I hope/expect to see a lot more of Smyth this season.

As well as improving the team, Smyth strikes me as being ambitious and impatient to reach the top. Reckon he wouldn't hang around too long if he is not playing regularly next season
Today at Wimbledon — Column on 18:51 - Jul 16 with 1303 viewsrsonist

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 12:38 - Jul 16 by isawqpratwcity

As I remember the podcast, Fernandes said something innocuous like 'of course Holloway's position is being reviewed as you'd expect at this stage of the season' (I welcome anyone posting the actual quote). I certainly didn't find what he said particularly ominous.

You also have to consider Holloway's own comments after Leeds where he declared himself open to negotiating a contract extension.

https://www.football.london/queens-park-rangers-fc/ian-holloway-qpr-leeds-future

The comment about 'fans' rumours' gives the lie to the club leaking his impending dismissal, at that stage, at least. It may also have forced a change in how the club was preparing to broach the subject with Holloway.

Clive said that he knew about the sacking long before it happened, but no other details were forthcoming. I'd like to hear more about how the club was behaving badly before I'd criticise the club on that. Who did the leaking, why, and when?

It certainly does not automatically reflect badly on the club to dismiss a favoured son. Nor does it to do so within weeks of the deaths of another favoured son/close friend and Holloway's mother. Sometimes, the timing isn't the best, but things happen anyway.

Well said.
Today at Wimbledon — Column on 20:01 - Jul 16 with 1258 viewsHunterhoop

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 10:30 - Jul 16 by Myke

Very interesting piece, rsonist. The last paragraph is particularly relevant. I think we all agree that Clive's reports, comments and analysis are of the very highest quality even if we disagree with individual bits and pieces contained within them. I believe also that Clive's opinion and knowledge is hugely influential not only on this site, but on the wider QPR community. For these reasons I think we must urge caution against too much negativity surrounding McClaren's appointment and the fledgling weeks of his tenure.

Let's remember what Steve has to do (and bear in mind he started when none of the players were actually present) Firstly, he has to actually get to know the players names particularly the younger, lesser-known ones. Then he has to analyse their strengths and weaknesses. He has to learn about their attitude and aptitude to new ideas. Then when he gets a chance to actually get them out on the training pitch, he has to start educating them about about how he want's them to play, what system he wants to use,how he wants them to react to a dozen different scenarios. This is difficult to do with a small group, but with 30 odd players it's a mammoth task. he is trying to make them all feel included, to keep them all onside from the get go, while all the while focusing on a very tough first task at Preston. And all this condensed into a few weeks.
In a nutshell, what I'm saying is, lets be patient,lets give the man a chance. We may well find ourselves in the bottom three after the first series of games, but nobody was ever relegated in September. Let's not have any mass hysteria if things begin slowly, because regardless of whether we agree with Steve's appointment or not ( I do), whether we agree that Holloway was shabbily treated or not (I do), we are all QPR supporters who want (or should want) the best for our little club

Great post, Myke.
Login to get fewer ads

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 20:10 - Jul 16 with 1255 viewsHunterhoop

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 13:59 - Jul 16 by Northernr

I quite like 4231, and we've got loads of talented players who can play in the three, so that's actually a positive if they can make it work.

I think we can make it work and I think it’s the formation best suited to the squad.

BUT we shouldn’t try to shoehorn the best 11 players into that shape. Pick the best player for each role.

Ideally you need two pacy attacking wingers/wise forwards on the flanks either side of the 10, who can get beyond their full back or CIA diagonal runs inside the full back, past the hold up centre forward.

That means Freeman isn’t one of them. We’ll have no width on his side if he plays there.

Personally, Smyth and BOS are the best fit for those roles. Wszolek (freed to be his former self), Shodipo (as he did under JFH), and Wheeler could also fulfil this brief. I’m not convinced by Washington there, and certainly not Eze. I think Freeman could do it but I don’t trust him not to trott inside and drop deep to have the ball at his feet.

Really it’s Freeman OR Eze for the no. 10. They play the same role, IMO. Smith can play the Helguson role and is the natural 9. Wingers as discussed, and Scowen and Luongo harrying and breaking up play. Luongo allowed to break forward. Scowen sits.

I think the formation suits us if we play it with real width and pace, which means a difficult decision at 10, and accepting our best 11 players won’t be on the field at the same time. But it will be in the team’s interest as the shape suits more of the team and squad than any other, IMO.
Today at Wimbledon — Column on 22:01 - Jul 16 with 1162 viewsMyke

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 20:10 - Jul 16 by Hunterhoop

I think we can make it work and I think it’s the formation best suited to the squad.

BUT we shouldn’t try to shoehorn the best 11 players into that shape. Pick the best player for each role.

Ideally you need two pacy attacking wingers/wise forwards on the flanks either side of the 10, who can get beyond their full back or CIA diagonal runs inside the full back, past the hold up centre forward.

That means Freeman isn’t one of them. We’ll have no width on his side if he plays there.

Personally, Smyth and BOS are the best fit for those roles. Wszolek (freed to be his former self), Shodipo (as he did under JFH), and Wheeler could also fulfil this brief. I’m not convinced by Washington there, and certainly not Eze. I think Freeman could do it but I don’t trust him not to trott inside and drop deep to have the ball at his feet.

Really it’s Freeman OR Eze for the no. 10. They play the same role, IMO. Smith can play the Helguson role and is the natural 9. Wingers as discussed, and Scowen and Luongo harrying and breaking up play. Luongo allowed to break forward. Scowen sits.

I think the formation suits us if we play it with real width and pace, which means a difficult decision at 10, and accepting our best 11 players won’t be on the field at the same time. But it will be in the team’s interest as the shape suits more of the team and squad than any other, IMO.

Backatacha Hunter
To be honest CB is still my primary concern - even more so with a rookie keeper behind them. A fully fit Hall is looking less and less likely, certainly for the start of the season. We have got our big uncompromising CB, now we need a quick mobile one beside him. Bidwell too could do with a bit of competition to keep him on his toes
Today at Wimbledon — Column on 01:41 - Jul 17 with 1055 viewsisawqpratwcity

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 10:24 - Jul 16 by daveB

The poorly treated part is in Fernandes being interviewed on a podcast saying Holloways position was under review and then the club leaking he was off days before they told the man himself. That was poor from the club

"...I think, the manager has had his highs and his lows and I think everything has to be evaluated at the end of every season. And so, we'll just have to wait and see. We'll have to analyse and say, at the end of the season: are we happy?; is he happy with us as shareholders?; is he happy with the squad?; all these things and then you make your decision from there."

https://soundcloud.com/west-twelve-media/the-qpr-podcast-meets-tony-fernandes from about 47:15

There is absolutely nothing there that is unreasonable or deprecating of Holloway.

As for "the club leaking he was off days before they told the man himself", I'd like to see some evidence. It seemed to thrive on the basis of just one WATRB post. Clive claimed to have known beforehand, but would not confirm rumours, nor, even now, give details or attribute sources. If the club has behaved badly, I want to know about it.

Don't forget, too, the Holloway interview after the Leeds game where he scotched unattributed speculation and declared he was open to negotiating contract extension. That could easily be Holloway just putting a brave face on things, but it may have forced the club to reevaluate their approach.

https://www.football.london/queens-park-rangers-fc/ian-holloway-qpr-leeds-future

Let's be frank: speculation about Holloway's sacking was rife after his first run of six defeats, just seven games after his appointment, and never stopped since.

I am glad that you don't cite the recent deaths of Wilkins and Holloway's mother as contributory factors. These are deserving causes for sympathy, but should not affect the timing of a change of management of a club. Claiming this as evidence of poor treatment, as some do, is just nonsense.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 1:50]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 08:54 - Jul 17 with 950 viewsHunterhoop

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 22:01 - Jul 16 by Myke

Backatacha Hunter
To be honest CB is still my primary concern - even more so with a rookie keeper behind them. A fully fit Hall is looking less and less likely, certainly for the start of the season. We have got our big uncompromising CB, now we need a quick mobile one beside him. Bidwell too could do with a bit of competition to keep him on his toes

Completely agree. I’m not sure we have the resources to give Bidwell more competition than Niko H, but we absolutely need a centre half with pace. The BFG, Lynch and Baptiste are not quick, we won’t Ben able to defend high with them which will open up the midfield and make Scowen’s and Luongo’s jobs hard, whilst potentially isolating Smith.

Whilst Hall isn’t pacy, he’s probably quick enough compared to our other options to allow us to play a tad higher, but I have absolutely no faith he’ll be fit. Tendinitus is a bugger. Some players can play through it; other’s can’t. Just ask Owen Hargreaves. Hall has shown no signs in 18 months of being able to play through it or that rest is solving it.

I’ve not seen Giles Phillips play, so I don’t know how quick he is, or if he’s all round good enough for this level. Smeg?

It all points towards needing a quick centre half and quickly!
Today at Wimbledon — Column on 09:04 - Jul 17 with 945 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 20:10 - Jul 16 by Hunterhoop

Good analysis, Hunter. Agree with all that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 13:59 - Jul 17 with 876 viewssimmo

Agree with most of your posts here Hunter, but think Freeman can play on the right of a 4-2-3-1 and support attacks that way, meaning the emphasis is on Furs to get on the overlap where possible. I'd actually play Eze in the 10 with Freeman on the right and BOS/Smyth on the left. Only real issue is height, with only Smith as an option for crossing that makes it quite easy to defend, so we'll have to find a way around that.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Today at Wimbledon — Column on 14:04 - Jul 17 with 863 viewsToast_R

Any decent beers from the Wimbledon brewery then?

There's an Indian bar/restaurant next to my offices that sells the Wimbledon Pale Ale. I've not tried it as I'm always too tempted by the Kingfisher on tap, but did anyone get some down their gullets on Saturday and how was it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024