Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris bikes 17:58 - Jul 16 with 4420 viewscolinallcars

Never ridden one myself - they look heavy and clumsy but they at least get returned to their docking stations. There are others, little red ones and little yellow ones that just get left when the user has finished with them. Today I walked along the Thames towpath at Petersham, a view painted by Turner andfound three yellow ones just dumped. In Richmond I saw another three plus a red one. Surely the companies providing these machines should be held accountable for this situation ?.
Boris bikes on 18:14 - Jul 16 with 3393 viewsQPR_John

I would have thought the people using them should be held accountable.
Boris bikes on 18:24 - Jul 16 with 3363 viewscolinallcars

Boris bikes on 18:14 - Jul 16 by QPR_John

I would have thought the people using them should be held accountable.

I think there are no docking stations, people just leave them after use. Presumably the next person wanting to use it use an app, get it unlocked, andpay for the next period of use.
Boris bikes on 18:43 - Jul 16 with 3321 viewshopphoops

This worked really well in China:
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-pi

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Boris bikes on 18:48 - Jul 16 with 3310 viewsQPR_John

Boris bikes on 18:24 - Jul 16 by colinallcars

I think there are no docking stations, people just leave them after use. Presumably the next person wanting to use it use an app, get it unlocked, andpay for the next period of use.

I see your point then
Boris bikes on 18:53 - Jul 16 with 3303 viewsTacticalR

Have a look at the drone footage of one of Shanghai's bike graveyards at the beginning of this video:

Air hostess clique

Boris bikes on 18:57 - Jul 16 with 3293 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

It could be worse!

I've never used a Boris bike but I tried a Mobike once just to see how it works. It's quite clever really and useful. Of course the one time I could have done with one there weren't any in my area! Trouble now is that you need a different App for each company...

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-pi

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Boris bikes on 19:24 - Jul 16 with 3249 viewsTonto

The Boroughs have limited the number of bikes so it will.never end up like China. Doesn't stop that Daily Mail article being sent to us by ebmvery miserable sod who wants them banned though....

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Boris bikes on 19:51 - Jul 16 with 3206 viewsDannyPaddox

The Bicycle Dump by Richmond Hill by JMW Turner
Login to get fewer ads

Boris bikes on 19:52 - Jul 16 with 3204 viewssmegma

I've used a Boris bike once in Hyde park about 3 years ago. Annoyingly you have to return it to a docking station every 30 minutes then wait 5 minutes before you can take another bike out. What's the point ??
Boris bikes on 20:39 - Jul 16 with 3158 viewscolinallcars

Boris bikes on 19:51 - Jul 16 by DannyPaddox

The Bicycle Dump by Richmond Hill by JMW Turner

Marvellous ! People still paint this view from just across the road at the Roebuck pub. Very famous painting.
Boris bikes on 03:08 - Jul 17 with 3005 viewsisawqpratwcity

Am I missing something? How is the cost of all these dumped bikes covered?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Boris bikes on 07:08 - Jul 17 with 2963 viewsTonto

Yes you are missing something... the bikes are not dumped. They are awaiting the next user.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Boris bikes on 07:48 - Jul 17 with 2943 viewsPlanetHonneywood

You'd have thought China would have had them melted down and used in the construction of some monolith or other.

Odd goings on in the Middle Kingdom me thinks...

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Boris bikes on 07:50 - Jul 17 with 2941 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Boris bikes on 18:43 - Jul 16 by hopphoops

This worked really well in China:

Well the problem is obvious:

You can't ride bikes when the tyres are acupunctured!

I'll get my....

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Boris bikes on 08:02 - Jul 17 with 2935 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Boris bikes on 03:08 - Jul 17 by isawqpratwcity

Am I missing something? How is the cost of all these dumped bikes covered?

https://www.economist.com/business/2017/11/25/chinas-bicycle-sharing-giants-are-

No you're missing anything. They've relied on funding from big business up to now. Future revenue streams could include the usual suspects. Advertising, data sharing and money lending.

Boris bikes on 08:16 - Jul 17 with 2915 viewscolinallcars

I'm still baffled by how all this works so I looked online and found that the yellow bikes of which I saw 6 yesterday are based in Hackney, a long way from Richmond where I saw them. One of the bikes was missing its pedals. What happens if the bike breaks down say with a puncture or broken chain ?
Boris bikes on 08:40 - Jul 17 with 2896 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Boris bikes on 08:16 - Jul 17 by colinallcars

I'm still baffled by how all this works so I looked online and found that the yellow bikes of which I saw 6 yesterday are based in Hackney, a long way from Richmond where I saw them. One of the bikes was missing its pedals. What happens if the bike breaks down say with a puncture or broken chain ?

At the end of the journey there is an option on the app to report any faults. How effective it is I don't know.

Boris bikes on 08:58 - Jul 17 with 2866 viewsrunningman75

They tried to run a good faith bike scheme in Manchester and many bikes got stolen. I like the idea of Boris bikes and when you go into central London they are used by many people commuting and tourists. The only problem is one suspected drug dealer near me uses one and no docking station nearby and no one seems to bat an eyelid when the guy goes round the area at night on one and nearest docking station about 3 miles away. Good way to deliver drugs on time though not sure he co-ordinates with the pizza delivery.
Boris bikes on 09:01 - Jul 17 with 2861 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Working well in Cork (we don't call them Boris bikes - Roy's Rides?). You have to return them to a docking station, though, which seems like obvious thing to insist on. You return it, the machine gives a beep and you know your hire is complete. It's free for half an hour, only about a euro an hour after that to a maximum of a tenner for the year.

Rarely use them myself as I prefer an ol' stroll.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Boris bikes on 09:13 - Jul 17 with 2838 viewsMick_S

Light years ahead:

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Boris bikes on 09:13 - Jul 17 with 2838 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Boris bikes on 09:01 - Jul 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Working well in Cork (we don't call them Boris bikes - Roy's Rides?). You have to return them to a docking station, though, which seems like obvious thing to insist on. You return it, the machine gives a beep and you know your hire is complete. It's free for half an hour, only about a euro an hour after that to a maximum of a tenner for the year.

Rarely use them myself as I prefer an ol' stroll.

Trouble with the docks is they add to the costs and probably put a constraint on the amount of bikes that can be used. With the mobike at the end of your journey the bike beeps and the back wheel gets locked. I think you also get a message on your phone telling you how much you're journey costed etc. It is clever but not perfect like anything else. I've only used one once so far. As for having streets littered with bikes, is it any worse than having them littered with cars?

Boris bikes on 10:05 - Jul 17 with 2775 viewsDannyPaddox

Boris bikes on 07:48 - Jul 17 by PlanetHonneywood

You'd have thought China would have had them melted down and used in the construction of some monolith or other.

Odd goings on in the Middle Kingdom me thinks...

Maybe the Arcelor Mittal thing is a Chinese Trojan horse. Set to attack during the next trade war.
Boris bikes on 10:45 - Jul 17 with 2723 viewsRBlock

Boris bikes on 19:52 - Jul 16 by smegma

I've used a Boris bike once in Hyde park about 3 years ago. Annoyingly you have to return it to a docking station every 30 minutes then wait 5 minutes before you can take another bike out. What's the point ??

You definitely don't have to dock it every 30 minutes, that is just what you do if you want to avoid paying! They stagger the prices something like £2 for a 24 hour membership, which then gives you free use for up to half an hour at a time. Alternatively you can take it for a longer journey, but you pay another couple of quid.
Boris bikes on 11:43 - Jul 17 with 2657 viewsBklynRanger

I found the Mobikes very handy for one way journeys, e.g. if you're going to be too pissed later on. But they've started to fcuk about with them round our way recently - most of them just started to disappear. I'm guessing that they're pretty ruthless about relocating batches from one area to another based on usage.

They're mysteriously back now but there's an even worse problem - you now can't cycle from the borough of Hounslow to H&F and drop the bike off there - you have to complete your journey within Hounslow or they charge you a fcuking collection fee. Unless that changes it defeats most of their purpose for me and I'm just waiting to run down my last £4 before I delete the app.
Boris bikes on 12:27 - Jul 17 with 2604 viewsR_from_afar

This is where it all started, I believe:
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/apr/26/story-cities-amsterdam-bike-share

These gentlemen explain it rather well:

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024