Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PC Help 16:14 - Aug 2 with 2309 viewsToast_R

I've encountered a ridiculous problem and for life of me I can't solve it.

I bought a new Desktop PC a year last year. The perfectly good working Monitor I had on my old PC does not work on my new PC. It just does not pick up a signal from the PC and just gives me that blank screen bollocks. My monitor only has one VGA input socket. I've tried...
VGA cable from my PC to the Monitor = No signal
HDMI to VGA adapter cable to the monitor = No signal
Display Port to VGA adapter cable to the monitor = No signal

Tried the same monitor on my brother in laws PC via VGA = Works like a dream.
I've tried my PC on my brother in laws Monitor via HDMI = Works like a dream.

I've done about £30 now in trying the different variants of cable connections and all to no avail. Has anyone got a solution other than buying a new bloody monitor, or can anyone diagnose what the problem is?

Thanks

PC Help on 16:24 - Aug 2 with 2268 viewsJeff

well it sounds like you've already established that it's probably not the monitor or the cable, unless there's some sort of refresh rate issue.

to the best of your knowledge, is the PC actually booting up when you turn everything on - i.e. is the blank monitor a symptom as opposed to the issue?

is your PC using a separate fancy graphics card, or just an 'on board one'? is the graphics card definitely 'sat' on the motherboard, and have you tried re-seating it?

how many VGA outputs does your computer have, and are you using the right one if there's more than one (onboard VGA and additional graphics card VGA for example...)

can you connect to your TV via HDMI?
[Post edited 2 Aug 2018 16:25]

Can we not knock it?

PC Help on 16:28 - Aug 2 with 2244 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

It sounds like a problem with the new computer. Have you tried using any other monitors with it?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

PC Help on 16:41 - Aug 2 with 2194 viewsToast_R

PC Help on 16:28 - Aug 2 by CliveWilsonSaid

It sounds like a problem with the new computer. Have you tried using any other monitors with it?

Yes, my new PC works fine on my brother in laws monitor via HDMI to HDMI. However, it does not work on his monitor via any other connection (VGA or Display Port).
PC Help on 16:50 - Aug 2 with 2165 viewsToast_R

PC Help on 16:24 - Aug 2 by Jeff

well it sounds like you've already established that it's probably not the monitor or the cable, unless there's some sort of refresh rate issue.

to the best of your knowledge, is the PC actually booting up when you turn everything on - i.e. is the blank monitor a symptom as opposed to the issue?

is your PC using a separate fancy graphics card, or just an 'on board one'? is the graphics card definitely 'sat' on the motherboard, and have you tried re-seating it?

how many VGA outputs does your computer have, and are you using the right one if there's more than one (onboard VGA and additional graphics card VGA for example...)

can you connect to your TV via HDMI?
[Post edited 2 Aug 2018 16:25]

The PC works fine and boots up in seconds (SSD), I've been using it on with a borrowed monitor which has a HDMI input socket.

Yes it does have a fancy GPU, a 1060 6GB - which are where the output sockets are based, my suspicion is that the my old monitor may not be compatible with this GPU, if that's at all possible?

I've not tried HDMI to my actual TV, it's a bit of a ball ache with the wiring but I may give it a go when I'm home alone.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2018 16:54]
PC Help on 17:08 - Aug 2 with 2128 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sounds like PC gone mad.

PC Help on 17:18 - Aug 2 with 2109 viewsBklynRanger

I don't suppose it's got anything to do with the input settings on the pc? Would you be able to start up the pc on a different monitor and make sure it's set to VGA (if necessary)?
PC Help on 17:19 - Aug 2 with 2108 viewsjohncharles

PC Help on 17:08 - Aug 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sounds like PC gone mad.

So, how is your Mum ? Or is it your Basset ?

Strong and stable my arse.

PC Help on 17:22 - Aug 2 with 2096 viewsitsbiga

You simply need to invert the field pulse in the down phase of the negative electron margin.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Login to get fewer ads

PC Help on 17:23 - Aug 2 with 2094 viewsJeff

PC Help on 16:50 - Aug 2 by Toast_R

The PC works fine and boots up in seconds (SSD), I've been using it on with a borrowed monitor which has a HDMI input socket.

Yes it does have a fancy GPU, a 1060 6GB - which are where the output sockets are based, my suspicion is that the my old monitor may not be compatible with this GPU, if that's at all possible?

I've not tried HDMI to my actual TV, it's a bit of a ball ache with the wiring but I may give it a go when I'm home alone.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2018 16:54]

if you've currently got both 'your' monitor and your 'borrowed' monitor, can you connect both to the PC either by VGA / HDMI / DVI / Display Port and then attempt extend the displays across both screens

you may get a signal out of range type message that suggests that your monitor can't deal with the GPU, or be able to drop the resolution / settings as suggested by the other poster.

in fact, maybe with the working monitor drop the resolution waaaay down to 800 x 600, then plug in the monitor with an issue and bring the resolution up?

Can we not knock it?

PC Help on 17:37 - Aug 2 with 2065 viewsBathRanger

Assuming you are using Windows on your desktop - if you right click on the desktop, select Display Settings, and then select Detect, does it pick up the plugged in monitor?
PC Help on 17:42 - Aug 2 with 2056 viewsrobith

PC Help on 17:08 - Aug 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sounds like PC gone mad.

DAMN YOU BAZZ
PC Help on 19:33 - Aug 2 with 1924 views2Thomas2Bowles

Don't know but have a look on youtube, if the answer is not on there you're fecked

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

PC Help on 20:29 - Aug 2 with 1853 viewsBklynRanger

PC Help on 17:37 - Aug 2 by BathRanger

Assuming you are using Windows on your desktop - if you right click on the desktop, select Display Settings, and then select Detect, does it pick up the plugged in monitor?

But he can't see the desktop Shirley?
PC Help on 20:31 - Aug 2 with 1851 viewsdistortR

have you tried turning it off and on again?
PC Help on 21:24 - Aug 2 with 1803 viewsSharpy36

What`s the make and model of your graphics card ?

Without you answering i would say that your card if VGA compatible has not had the VGA drivers installed, because it`s an old format.

If so connect a monitor to your computer that works, go to the Graphic cards makers website and download the vga driver ensure you download the version for your version of windows.

If before hand you find out the card is not VGA, throw it on the floor. Make a claim.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

PC Help on 21:29 - Aug 2 with 1790 viewsBklynRanger

PC Help on 21:24 - Aug 2 by Sharpy36

What`s the make and model of your graphics card ?

Without you answering i would say that your card if VGA compatible has not had the VGA drivers installed, because it`s an old format.

If so connect a monitor to your computer that works, go to the Graphic cards makers website and download the vga driver ensure you download the version for your version of windows.

If before hand you find out the card is not VGA, throw it on the floor. Make a claim.

Yeah that's basically what I was saying but in a more computery way...
PC Help on 22:10 - Aug 2 with 1729 viewsBathRanger

PC Help on 20:29 - Aug 2 by BklynRanger

But he can't see the desktop Shirley?

Plug brother in law's monitor into HDMI port so he can see the desktop and own monitor into VGA port. If Windows can detect both then you should be able to extend the display across both monitors or have it on either one or the other.

And stop calling me Shirley
PC Help on 22:28 - Aug 2 with 1702 viewsBerkoRanger

Does the monitor come with a CD rom set of drivers and are these installed on your new PC. I had to do this to get my new PC read / talk to my new printer. If you don't have a CD rom, google the monitor manufacturer and model and download and install the drivers that suit your new windows or mac system. Best of luck, mate.
PC Help on 10:31 - Aug 3 with 1486 viewsLunarJetman

If you're using a separate graphics card for the HDMI connection and the VGA is on the motherboard I wouldn't be surprised if the VGA port on your PC is disabled since it was sold with an HDMI port and monitor.

Even if they are both 'onboard' or both on an external graphics card I would be still willing to bet the VGA port could be disabled.

You'd probably need to go into the BIOS and see what's set up in there.

At work we have devices running with multiple graphics cards for up to 9 screens per PC and the onboard devices are disabled so we often have problems when some newbie comes in and tries to use the onboard connections...
[Post edited 3 Aug 2018 10:33]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024