Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Preston Match Thread. 11:01 - Aug 4 with 18750 viewsted_hendrix

Sod It why not, anyway what could possibly go wrong?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Preston Match Thread. on 17:07 - Aug 4 with 3423 viewsvegasranger

Well that was really lame. Set up to not lose away to Preston. They looked well drilled and work really hard but don't have much quality. Us playing with the luxury of two holding midfielders just offered so little going forward. Smith is poor at hold up play. Eze doing his tricks i the wrong half of the field. Made subs but I couldn't see much change of shape.It looked like last season.
Preston Match Thread. on 17:09 - Aug 4 with 3392 viewsDejR_vu

1st game under new management, narrow defeat against one of the better teams last season; could have been worse.

From the limited info on the BBC site, lots of mention of Freeman, not much on Eze. A timely reminder of Freeman's importance to us, especially now, and the danger of relying too much on the kids?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Preston Match Thread. on 17:14 - Aug 4 with 3301 viewsNoelmc

From the Radio London commentary our biggest threat was from set pieces with good deliveries from Freeman. That would be very hard to replace.
Preston Match Thread. on 17:16 - Aug 4 with 3283 viewsconnell10

Preston Match Thread. on 17:09 - Aug 4 by DejR_vu

1st game under new management, narrow defeat against one of the better teams last season; could have been worse.

From the limited info on the BBC site, lots of mention of Freeman, not much on Eze. A timely reminder of Freeman's importance to us, especially now, and the danger of relying too much on the kids?

But don’t you feel mate it’s oh so predictable.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Preston Match Thread. on 17:16 - Aug 4 with 3277 viewsted_hendrix

Got what I thought we'd get a big fat zilch and got what we probably deserved another big fat zilch.
Vey tough place to go for our opening game of the season.
Gonna be a long hard season but I think most people realise that.

Cheers Gav btw.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Preston Match Thread. on 17:19 - Aug 4 with 3218 viewsPerthRs

No creativity, Shit goal to give away Preston are not a good side they know how to push the boundaries to suit, plus it’s help when the ref turns a blind eye.
I have a feeling we will see 1 if not 2 signing on Monday this game has showed just how inexperienced this side is, yes the kids need to learn but we need to stay in the championship.
Preston Match Thread. on 17:21 - Aug 4 with 3187 viewsEmpireStateRanger

That was quite predictable. Just not enough up front. Hung around and I thought we defended quite well. BFG looks to be a player. But I never got the sense that we were going to score.

Almost nicked it at the end but it wouldn’t have been deserved.
Preston Match Thread. on 17:23 - Aug 4 with 3164 viewsMatch82

Well that was a bit cr ap. Worse than I thought going forward, better than I thought at the back. Preston deserved that on the balance of play but a pretty dire game of football and pretty cynical timewasting by the home team, glad we only play them twice a year. On that note credit to the ref for at least having the balls to add extra time to the extra time.
Login to get fewer ads

Preston Match Thread. on 17:26 - Aug 4 with 3111 viewsDejR_vu

Preston Match Thread. on 17:16 - Aug 4 by connell10

But don’t you feel mate it’s oh so predictable.

Yeah, not surprised at all sadly, but trying to look for the positives I guess, particularly given everything else going on at the club. I do think we have a better manager than last season, just not sure if he can compensate for everything else.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Preston Match Thread. on 17:27 - Aug 4 with 3090 viewsR_from_afar

If we go on a winless run, how many games will it take until there is a toy hurling, everything about Rangers is awful thread? Or is one of you quietly previewing just such a thread now?

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Preston Match Thread. on 17:39 - Aug 4 with 2959 viewsMyke

I suppose the most disappointing thing for me was the timing of the concession of the goal. Clive highlighted on several occasions just how many goals we conceded just either side of half-time last season. Sadly, despite McClaren's monotonous drilling we still appear to have switched off at a vital moment, which ultimately cost us. Overall, while there may be a depressing inevitability and predictability about the result and the manner of it, I am not too down about it. Hopefully Steve and his team will have learned something that you won't see in pre-season games. Would still love to see Sylla get more game time - he always sniffs out some kind of a chance.
Preston Match Thread. on 18:03 - Aug 4 with 2748 viewsblacky200

Preston Match Thread. on 17:27 - Aug 4 by R_from_afar

If we go on a winless run, how many games will it take until there is a toy hurling, everything about Rangers is awful thread? Or is one of you quietly previewing just such a thread now?

RFA

We're second from bottom. Relegation fodder. McLaren out
Preston Match Thread. on 19:01 - Aug 4 with 2411 viewsBoston

One thing I learned today was where it took McClaren months to develop a Dutch twang he has only required one game t'up Preston to sound like a northerner.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Preston Match Thread. on 19:05 - Aug 4 with 2382 viewsBoston

Preston Match Thread. on 17:19 - Aug 4 by PerthRs

No creativity, Shit goal to give away Preston are not a good side they know how to push the boundaries to suit, plus it’s help when the ref turns a blind eye.
I have a feeling we will see 1 if not 2 signing on Monday this game has showed just how inexperienced this side is, yes the kids need to learn but we need to stay in the championship.

...and who would that one or two be old chap?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Preston Match Thread. on 20:08 - Aug 4 with 2121 views1JD

Preston Match Thread. on 17:09 - Aug 4 by DejR_vu

Nothing of the sort. Eze our only creative outlet, able to go from stand still to final third in an almost instant. Taraabt-like. No wonder some chants of Ezes too good for you were to be heard. Freeman on the other hand over played way too many times when a simple pass was on - sadly an all too familiar story. McLaren must coach that out of him. Painfully slow today as well and his lack of pace really killed us on the little attack we had, he just can’t get away from his man / or his man catches his up. Added to the fact he doesn’t release the ball when he should and i wouldn’t be surprised to see his place under threat from one of Smyth, Manning, BOS.
Preston Match Thread. on 22:31 - Aug 4 with 1694 viewsbaz_qpr

Preston Match Thread. on 20:08 - Aug 4 by 1JD

Nothing of the sort. Eze our only creative outlet, able to go from stand still to final third in an almost instant. Taraabt-like. No wonder some chants of Ezes too good for you were to be heard. Freeman on the other hand over played way too many times when a simple pass was on - sadly an all too familiar story. McLaren must coach that out of him. Painfully slow today as well and his lack of pace really killed us on the little attack we had, he just can’t get away from his man / or his man catches his up. Added to the fact he doesn’t release the ball when he should and i wouldn’t be surprised to see his place under threat from one of Smyth, Manning, BOS.

I think you have to be fair to Ollie who identified that getting the best out of him was to play him in the middle where he could drift. i don't think he's as effective wide. I'm not sure him and Eze fit in the same team and I'm pretty sure Eze and Smith don't fit in the same team either. Eze needs pace in front of him to give him the space to play at 10 or at best someone who can play back to goal which is one of Smith's weaker attributes.

I think the challenge we have is building a team that will flourish around Eze because I'm not sure we have the right mix to do that
Preston Match Thread. on 22:36 - Aug 4 with 1678 viewsdaveB

Preston Match Thread. on 22:31 - Aug 4 by baz_qpr

I think you have to be fair to Ollie who identified that getting the best out of him was to play him in the middle where he could drift. i don't think he's as effective wide. I'm not sure him and Eze fit in the same team and I'm pretty sure Eze and Smith don't fit in the same team either. Eze needs pace in front of him to give him the space to play at 10 or at best someone who can play back to goal which is one of Smith's weaker attributes.

I think the challenge we have is building a team that will flourish around Eze because I'm not sure we have the right mix to do that

Thats the whole reason we played a back 3 for so long so that Freeman could play in his best position and Smith could have someone up front with him. Worked very well at home but not away from home, when Ollie switched to a 4-3-3 in the last 2 months of the season Freemans performances dropped as he was left out wide where he is not as effective. Of course this tactic ridiculed as it didn't get the best out of Bidwell and Wsoleck.

If we stick to playing a 4-2-3-1 then Freeman is going to become a weak link rather than our best player
Preston Match Thread. on 22:57 - Aug 4 with 1608 viewsingeminate

Preston Match Thread. on 20:08 - Aug 4 by 1JD

Freeman’s delivery was very good, Eze provides the only creative outlet from open play. Freeman caught in possession too often, whether down to ponderous play or lack of options up for debate.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Preston Match Thread. on 23:25 - Aug 4 with 1514 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Preston Match Thread. on 22:57 - Aug 4 by ingeminate

Freeman’s delivery was very good, Eze provides the only creative outlet from open play. Freeman caught in possession too often, whether down to ponderous play or lack of options up for debate.

Yes definitely room for these two players in this squad.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Preston Match Thread. on 00:03 - Aug 5 with 1416 viewsHooparoo

Preston Match Thread. on 22:31 - Aug 4 by baz_qpr

Drop freeman and Sylla up top for his pace. Sorted!

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Preston Match Thread. on 09:48 - Aug 5 with 1073 views1JD

Preston Match Thread. on 22:36 - Aug 4 by daveB

Thats the whole reason we played a back 3 for so long so that Freeman could play in his best position and Smith could have someone up front with him. Worked very well at home but not away from home, when Ollie switched to a 4-3-3 in the last 2 months of the season Freemans performances dropped as he was left out wide where he is not as effective. Of course this tactic ridiculed as it didn't get the best out of Bidwell and Wsoleck.

If we stick to playing a 4-2-3-1 then Freeman is going to become a weak link rather than our best player

Well I’m in the minority then as I’ve never thought he was our best player. He overplays far too much, which negatively impacts the nature of the attack, I.e. an option that was there, is not there anymore by the time he throws his hands up, and he still hasn’t learnt. Final third is about pace, not just in physical but in mental. Speed of thought and constantly passing the ball is what opens team up as it is virtually unplayable when done right.

Holloway let him get away with it, Mclaren will not. He is not a Mclaren type player because he does not want to control, pass. He wants to control, shift, shimmy, run, go back, check, then pass. It killed us yesterday, and it impacted our attacking play way before you say his performances dipped because he went out wide. He is a player that doesn’t like to release it, regardless of position. I also don’t think he is anywhere near a number 8 which is what you saying he is. Which kind of begs the question what is he because I don’t see him as a 10 either - no passing fluency, no connectivity, no real goal threat. He is a good player don’t get me wrong and if could learn to stop being so greedy he would go on to a different level. I just find him incredibly frustrating as he has lots of ability.
Preston Match Thread. on 10:26 - Aug 5 with 988 viewsdaveB

Preston Match Thread. on 09:48 - Aug 5 by 1JD

Well I’m in the minority then as I’ve never thought he was our best player. He overplays far too much, which negatively impacts the nature of the attack, I.e. an option that was there, is not there anymore by the time he throws his hands up, and he still hasn’t learnt. Final third is about pace, not just in physical but in mental. Speed of thought and constantly passing the ball is what opens team up as it is virtually unplayable when done right.

Holloway let him get away with it, Mclaren will not. He is not a Mclaren type player because he does not want to control, pass. He wants to control, shift, shimmy, run, go back, check, then pass. It killed us yesterday, and it impacted our attacking play way before you say his performances dipped because he went out wide. He is a player that doesn’t like to release it, regardless of position. I also don’t think he is anywhere near a number 8 which is what you saying he is. Which kind of begs the question what is he because I don’t see him as a 10 either - no passing fluency, no connectivity, no real goal threat. He is a good player don’t get me wrong and if could learn to stop being so greedy he would go on to a different level. I just find him incredibly frustrating as he has lots of ability.

It's only a small flaw in his game though, if he were to release the ball quicker he'd be a hell of a player. That can be coached into him either by McClaren or by Pullis of he goes. Not having he doesn't have a goal threat though, number of chances he creates and 5 from midfield last year is pretty good, better than anyone else we have.

Personally I can see the logic in selling him now and using the money to bring in one or two others but he would be a big loss to us
Preston Match Thread. on 11:15 - Aug 5 with 935 views1JD

Preston Match Thread. on 10:26 - Aug 5 by daveB

It's only a small flaw in his game though, if he were to release the ball quicker he'd be a hell of a player. That can be coached into him either by McClaren or by Pullis of he goes. Not having he doesn't have a goal threat though, number of chances he creates and 5 from midfield last year is pretty good, better than anyone else we have.

Personally I can see the logic in selling him now and using the money to bring in one or two others but he would be a big loss to us

It’s a big flaw in his game as is his lack of pace. Yesterday was like Fulham away (first half) and many others in that he continuously loses possession of the ball because he is over playing, or fails see (or chooses not to see) his team mate in a better position to continuously move the back forward.

I was always coached as a younger player “make the ball do the work”, Freeman does not understand this and prefers to run into peoples space. It’s a big flaw and will be exposed a weak link in a midfield / team that aspires to be a possession-based football team.

His assists 90% of the time come from crosses not a typical, creative, incisive-passing 10-type position, yet he does not or cannot wide (I am quite sure he can if only he learns to pass the ball)I can see why Pulis wants him as his biggest threat is his delivery from wide or set pieces.
Preston Match Thread. on 11:27 - Aug 5 with 914 viewsPinnerPaul

Preston Match Thread. on 19:01 - Aug 4 by Boston

One thing I learned today was where it took McClaren months to develop a Dutch twang he has only required one game t'up Preston to sound like a northerner.

That's because he IS a northerner - born in York!
Preston Match Thread. on 11:30 - Aug 5 with 912 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Well I would say that Freeman's style has been a strength in the time he has been with us. Sure in a passing team which wants the ball moved quickly his holding on to it and dribbling could be a negative. But we are not that team. Just as in the Lee Cook days having a player that can hold the ball, turn and move it upfield is a blessing imo. Anyway in this team he is worth his place for the assists alone. Without that what have we got? Not a lot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024