Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony stepping down as chairman? 08:29 - Aug 10 with 16606 viewsFDC

This is from 5 hours ago but can't see it on here, apologies if I missed it

Doesn't seem to be reply to Clive, so not quite sure why it's directed at him. There's a whole load that are the same. Maybe it's a catholic-style twitter confession? Forgive me Clive for I have sinned
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 13:39 - Aug 10 with 3714 viewsMick_S

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 13:08 - Aug 10 by WrightUp5hit___

<a href=" https://imgflip.com/i/2fmoio"> src=" https://i.imgflip.com/2fmoio.jpg" title="made at imgflip.com"/></a>
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 13:17]

Us too!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 13:41 - Aug 10 with 3709 viewsR_from_afar

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 13:04 - Aug 10 by SimonJames

"It might help if we occasionally focused on some of the ways in which Tony could've been worse..."

Or maybe we could focus on clubs like Burnley, who when they get promoted, show loyalty to their manager rather than replace him with a tw@t like Hughes and set us adrift for 6 seasons (and counting).

Of course he's not the worst owner, but it's hard to identify any tangible progress that he has delivered since he took over.

I would love to have seen more progress on the infrastructure side, but then you can bet your life that the board feel the same way. Why would they want any delay when it comes to the training ground and stadium? Both are key to our long term survival, and to our owners actually making a financial return.

On the progress front, I'll refer you to Loftus77's excellent post (extract below).

As for Hughes and Warnock, I loathe and detest Hughes with a passion and was sad to see Warnock go but we were on a very poor run at the time Warnock got the chop. I'm not sure he could have kept us up.

RFA

My take on it all. I think the way the club has handled this transfer window sums up the way it has conducted itself since relegation in 2015 — in an exemplary, prudent and forward-thinking manner.

Its work in the community, its realistic on-field ambitions and plans for the future (yes, including Warren Farm, OOC. LCS etc) all point to a leadership and management team that really understands where the club is and where it wants to go. I don’t see many clubs that have been run better than QPR in the last 3 years.

Now, the way the club was run from 1995-2015 (yep, that’s 2 decades), that’s an entirely different matter altogether IMHO. I guess it takes more than 3 years to detoxify the mistakes of 20. And the ‘bill’ came in the form of FFP which the club now has to deal with.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 13:49 - Aug 10 with 3670 viewsPhildo

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 13:08 - Aug 10 by Northernr

@Robith Can't sleep. Thinking about you innit. Send pics.

@loftforwords had som prosecco. Here is one of me in new top.jus need to meet the dream manager why do men like Harry and Mark let me down
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 14:01 - Aug 10 with 3588 viewshopphoops

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 13:49 - Aug 10 by Phildo

@loftforwords had som prosecco. Here is one of me in new top.jus need to meet the dream manager why do men like Harry and Mark let me down

#whyaremytrousersroundmyankles

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 14:09 - Aug 10 with 3516 viewsBoston

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 11:42 - Aug 10 by Mytch_QPR

I think he's LBlock.

I’m reasonably confident he’s not PunteR.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 14:10 - Aug 10 with 3536 viewsFDC

@loftforwords it's just me and the globe drinks cabinet we wanted to sign a defender i signed more defenders for air asia than anyone else i'm so scared please someone stop me before I tweet again.
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 14:11 - Aug 10 with 3513 viewsisawqpratwcity

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 12:49 - Aug 10 by R_from_afar

I am in a froth of anticipation as I wait for the insulting nickname you will come up with for Tony's replacement as chairman. I'm sure the new incumbent will find it motivational.

Yes, he has made mistakes, but if - God forbid - you or I ran the club, so would we have. But, hey, *he* doesn't run the club, because he has never been the sole owner. The PR front, yes, but never the sole owner.

Most of us would agree that last season saw Rangers starting to get back on track and to get its soul back. Not before time, of course. Tony got very little credit for that but then credit would've been contrary to QPR Fans Rule 12: In the unlikely event that something good shall have been deemed to have occured at QPR, all credit shall be apportioned to persons other than Tony Fernandes. In the event of a negative incident occuring, on the other hand, Tony Fernandes shall be held responsible as the chief culprit.

It might help if we occasionally focused on some of the ways in which Tony could've been worse:
- Being uncontactable, invisible (yes, I bet many of you would like that!)
- Changing our colours
- Changing our name
- Relocating us

Whether we like it or not, new training grounds and stadia take a long time to build, not just in a massive and crowded conurbation like London, but everywhere in the UK. The process is slow and complex, and with good reason, or someone could start building something hideous, like a nuclear power station, or perish the thought, Chelski's new stadium, at the end of your garden when your were not paying attention.

It's never dull. You Rs. Oh, and breathe....

RFA

PS: How did Hoos materialise at Loftus Road? Did we grow him from a magic bean? Or was he dropped by a passing stork?

I don't think Fernandes is entirely blameless. I think it possible that he has exercised a higher level of decision making than his ownership share would provide, largely on the basis of the other owners being content to let him have his head.

Ji Sung Park appeared to be a signing based upon enticing parochial support rather than merit and Holloway's return was against the wishes of Ferdinand and Hughes.

But overall I support him because he has always paid for his naive mistakes and supported his managers with their transfer demands until that model clearly failed.

I think some people just like having someone to blame for that fairly common malady, a lack of success. But Fortune is a fickle mistress: she favoured Ecclestone and Briatore and I really have trouble thinking of a less deserving pair than those two.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 14:32 - Aug 10 with 3416 viewsMick_S

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 14:10 - Aug 10 by FDC

@loftforwords it's just me and the globe drinks cabinet we wanted to sign a defender i signed more defenders for air asia than anyone else i'm so scared please someone stop me before I tweet again.

@globe drinks cabinernet sauvignon out a sways together hat.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 14:40 - Aug 10 with 3383 viewslave16

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 14:11 - Aug 10 by isawqpratwcity

I don't think Fernandes is entirely blameless. I think it possible that he has exercised a higher level of decision making than his ownership share would provide, largely on the basis of the other owners being content to let him have his head.

Ji Sung Park appeared to be a signing based upon enticing parochial support rather than merit and Holloway's return was against the wishes of Ferdinand and Hughes.

But overall I support him because he has always paid for his naive mistakes and supported his managers with their transfer demands until that model clearly failed.

I think some people just like having someone to blame for that fairly common malady, a lack of success. But Fortune is a fickle mistress: she favoured Ecclestone and Briatore and I really have trouble thinking of a less deserving pair than those two.

I agree - I think Tony may put his foot in his mouth now and again (who does not) but has always paid for his mistakes and his heart is in the right place - I will be sad to see him go if he does - the man deserves credit for trying his best and taking all the guff from the keyboard warriors

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 15:14 - Aug 10 with 3295 viewsessextaxiboy

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 11:49 - Aug 10 by francisbowles

Nah, it's definitely Paul Parker......or maybe it's stevec?

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 15:32 - Aug 10 with 3225 viewssmegma

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 11:04 - Aug 10 by BklynRanger

I've never been to Malaysia but it's definitely somewhere I'd like to go. Just this past Wednesday I was eating my face off at that Rasa Samyang place in Chinatown. My wife would love to go to Malaysia too, ideally on the same flight.

I doubt you would 'eat my face off' when a Durian was on your plate.
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 15:58 - Aug 10 with 3149 viewsBklynRanger

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 15:32 - Aug 10 by smegma

I doubt you would 'eat my face off' when a Durian was on your plate.

It would eat my face off
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 16:13 - Aug 10 with 3090 viewstimcocking

I imagine the vast majority here on LFW realise we're relatively lucky to have Tony, surely? And i shouldn't think we have any who send him abuse, do we? I bet there are plenty of vindictive Brentford fans sending most of the abuse.

Damn.

Ps Tony, you may well feel you're entitled to express yourself on twitter. But then you should be aware you are directly interacting with the retards and the trolls more often than not. Twitter users' average iq is most likely well below average.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 16:16]
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 16:16 - Aug 10 with 3084 viewsnottonyfernandes

This weirdly is surprising and not at the same time. I hope he doesn’t leave just now as we need some stability. It is hoos and Ferdinand running things though so not too worried, we’re on the right track.
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 17:11 - Aug 10 with 2940 viewswombat

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 16:16 - Aug 10 by nottonyfernandes

This weirdly is surprising and not at the same time. I hope he doesn’t leave just now as we need some stability. It is hoos and Ferdinand running things though so not too worried, we’re on the right track.

Out of lleft field but could Tony’s Poss leaving have anything to do with the rumoured money being offered if mclaren was given the managers roll ?

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 17:51 - Aug 10 with 2855 viewsEsox_Lucius

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 17:11 - Aug 10 by wombat

Out of lleft field but could Tony’s Poss leaving have anything to do with the rumoured money being offered if mclaren was given the managers roll ?

Ham or cheese?

The grass is always greener.

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 19:12 - Aug 10 with 2726 viewsMatch82

What am I missing here? Is there any indication that there is actually a change coming other than one vague reference in the midst of a tweetstorm by a person known for desiring attention?
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 20:33 - Aug 10 with 2601 viewsMaggsinho

Amit taking over according to Dave Mc.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-tony-fernandes-ami-bhatia-100818
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 21:57 - Aug 10 with 2403 viewsBrianMcCarthy

So now, so...… as my Grandmother used to say when I looked all confused and face-scrunchy...

Maybe the rumour started by Fernandes' not-so-cryptic tweets has legs to it. I'm not keeping count but Dave McIntyre's stories are generally right more often than they're wrong, I would have thought. I wouldn't dignify a rumour from any other source.

There's a leak somewhere from the club to Dave McIntyre or he wouldn't have these sources, and maybe that would stop if and when we get a new Chairperson.

I'm not getting excited high-up or low-down by this latest rumour, but it's definitely intriguing, and not just because of the source.

It's intriguing because we may soon know if Fernandes has been and still is the driving force - shareholdings notwithstanding - behind the multi-headed ownership. I've been a huge critic of Fernandes in the past, particularly with regards to the major issue of property development (which we fought Gregory and Bullstrode over) and the minor issue of his nonsensical PR and/or Twitter disasters, but I have come around to at least neutral-but-watchful on this ownership as they have continually swallowed the debt. I know it is their debt to swallow, but many if not most businesspeople don't make that distinction and simply walk away from their screw-ups with no regard for the money they owe or the lives they shatter. This crowd haven't. This is not meant as praise, just a nod to reality.

It's intriguing also because we may soon find out if Amit Bhatia is the Beatified One that we have all, subconsciously, regarded him as. Should he become Chairperson would the halo be pawed at, picked at, hauled at...?

It's also intriguing because, quite simply, why would one of the richest people in the world become (of his free will, maybe not?) Chairperson of the 36th best English football team/club?

And, finally, it's intriguing, because if it does happen we have to balance the certain present against the uncertain future. I have said this before so sorry for repeating it but it's relevant, but I was one of the main drivers behind Richard Thompson's removal, and I think about those days sometimes. That's what the fans wanted at the time and I had no problem working with others to make sure it happened. Democracy. As it happens I agreed with it. But I was young. And with youth comes certainty.

Could any of us be sure that Thompson's removal would be good for us? Looking back, no.

Can any of us be sure that a new Chairperson will be good be us?

Probably not either.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 22:02 - Aug 10 with 2377 viewskropotkin41

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 21:57 - Aug 10 by BrianMcCarthy

So now, so...… as my Grandmother used to say when I looked all confused and face-scrunchy...

Maybe the rumour started by Fernandes' not-so-cryptic tweets has legs to it. I'm not keeping count but Dave McIntyre's stories are generally right more often than they're wrong, I would have thought. I wouldn't dignify a rumour from any other source.

There's a leak somewhere from the club to Dave McIntyre or he wouldn't have these sources, and maybe that would stop if and when we get a new Chairperson.

I'm not getting excited high-up or low-down by this latest rumour, but it's definitely intriguing, and not just because of the source.

It's intriguing because we may soon know if Fernandes has been and still is the driving force - shareholdings notwithstanding - behind the multi-headed ownership. I've been a huge critic of Fernandes in the past, particularly with regards to the major issue of property development (which we fought Gregory and Bullstrode over) and the minor issue of his nonsensical PR and/or Twitter disasters, but I have come around to at least neutral-but-watchful on this ownership as they have continually swallowed the debt. I know it is their debt to swallow, but many if not most businesspeople don't make that distinction and simply walk away from their screw-ups with no regard for the money they owe or the lives they shatter. This crowd haven't. This is not meant as praise, just a nod to reality.

It's intriguing also because we may soon find out if Amit Bhatia is the Beatified One that we have all, subconsciously, regarded him as. Should he become Chairperson would the halo be pawed at, picked at, hauled at...?

It's also intriguing because, quite simply, why would one of the richest people in the world become (of his free will, maybe not?) Chairperson of the 36th best English football team/club?

And, finally, it's intriguing, because if it does happen we have to balance the certain present against the uncertain future. I have said this before so sorry for repeating it but it's relevant, but I was one of the main drivers behind Richard Thompson's removal, and I think about those days sometimes. That's what the fans wanted at the time and I had no problem working with others to make sure it happened. Democracy. As it happens I agreed with it. But I was young. And with youth comes certainty.

Could any of us be sure that Thompson's removal would be good for us? Looking back, no.

Can any of us be sure that a new Chairperson will be good be us?

Probably not either.

Very evenhanded with quite a sprinkling of question marks in there, Brian. Was your granny one to solve confusion with more questions?.......... erm......... thanks, granny.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 22:14 - Aug 10 with 2338 viewsFDC

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 20:33 - Aug 10 by Maggsinho

Amit taking over according to Dave Mc.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-tony-fernandes-ami-bhatia-100818

Wow didn't see that coming.

@Brian. Isn't it largely a ceremonial role in this case though? In the same way that Prince Charles becoming the monarch would be qualitatively different in terms of messaging and PR, not a lot would change substantively. Like Dave Mc says in that piece, it sounds like this is more of a move calculated to be strategically advantageous in terms of supporter management during this tricky moment for the club.

All that being the case, I'd enjoy the ald dream boat being the public face of QPR again. Was pleasantly surprised to read that he's still passionate about the club
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 22:17]
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 22:30 - Aug 10 with 2280 viewsTacticalR

Not sure his heart has been in it for a while. Plus he's got his hands full with Chloe.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/airasia-chief-tony-fernandes-weds-korean-girlf

Air hostess clique

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 04:49 - Aug 11 with 2073 viewsisawqpratwcity

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 22:30 - Aug 10 by TacticalR

Not sure his heart has been in it for a while. Plus he's got his hands full with Chloe.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/airasia-chief-tony-fernandes-weds-korean-girlf

That's ten months old, TR. If she's still taking up all of his time he's a better man than me.

Wiki still lists the Tune Group as majority shareholder with 55% and the Mittals with 11% but I think both of those have been heavily diluted by ongoing funding reducing their ownership.

I know that AB has some sentimental following here but I'm not really sure why. I'm not convinced that he was particularly instrumental in our promotion success, supposedly over-riding Briatore: I have doubts that Briatore actually relinquished control in any meaningful way. Still, if Fernandes is stepping aside, better a benign devil that we already know than one we don't.

The other most likely alternative is that Ruben assumes sole chairmanship. Given his previous low profile, I'm not sure that's a step he would want to take.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2018 5:21]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 05:51 - Aug 11 with 2040 viewsVancouverHoop

Bhatia gets cred for his work with QPR in the Community too.
Tony stepping down as chairman? on 11:38 - Aug 12 with 1721 viewsJAPRANGERS

Tony stepping down as chairman? on 11:42 - Aug 10 by Mytch_QPR

I think he's LBlock.

Well actually our TONY is none other than the wonderful, the illustrious, The Count of Monte Cristo, DISCO. Just has to be.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024