Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report 19:51 - Aug 12 with 3212 viewsNorthernr

At Neil SI's wonderful wedding yesterday (congrats guys) so you've got Jordan Foster to take you through the match report. Spoiler alert, he thought it maybe was a penalty.

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report 12th Aug 2018 19:49
Queens Park Rangers lost by the odd goal for the second consecutive weekend as they were punished by Sheff Utd for another naïve performance. 19

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 21:39 - Aug 12 with 2950 viewsdaveB

At the time i assumed Bidwell pushed him but watching it back on tv several times it was a terrible decision. How anyone can say that was a penalty is beyond me

Apologies in advance for the rant and I know I'll get stick for this but that second half yesterday was so crap it was unreal and very worrying from the players and manager.

I went into yesterdays game with hope that this is a decent squad and we'll have an Ok season, similar to last year, I still think we could do that but I saw things yesterday I really didn't like.

The playing out from the back, all well and good if you have players who can do it but when you have a keeper who looks low on confidence and you make the weakest part of his game the basis of the gameplan you are in trouble. the poor fella is hopeless with his feet under pressure and was Rob Green like at times, genuinely baffling why they persisted with it all half. Every goal kick Leistner stood waiting for the pass, he got it once and we ended up scoring, every other time he dinked it straight to a Sheffield United player or gave it to Lynch who quickly gave it away, utterly bizarre.

It's great watching Fulham, Brentford, Wolves etc play from the back but you need the players to do it, I'm far from convinced we have them. Our better players are at their best when they have the ball in the oppositon half so why on earth are we spending so much time playing triangles in our own half leaving our creative players no where near the oppositions goal.

The players look really unfit especially mass and Scowen who struggled, perhaps that’s due to how they played last year at a much higher tempo so they look more sluggish in a different style but all worrying

The whole point of McClaren was supposed to be he was much better for the kids giving more structure and an end to the moving kids into different positions and playing them one minute then dropping them.

I don't want to go down a comparison with the former manager but two games in we've seen Bright Samuel start at preston and hooked at half time and left out for the next game. Paul Smyth start yesterday hooked at half time and Bright Samuel brought back on to play first left wing, then switched to the right then back to the left then right back. That isn't what was advertised with this manager

As for the rest I have no idea where Freeman was supposed to be playing second half, he looked lost and frustrated. Washington was crap but should have been on about 10 minutes earlier to have any chance of an impact

The time wasting and gamesmanship by Sheff Utd was annoying but we made it easy for them to do it and never looked like scoring again in the second half

All in all they looked a relegation team to me, badly need additions in next few weeks in defence and up front, oh and don't like the manager sat up in the stand, I know he gets a better view but I'm old fashioned and think a manager should be on the touchline, the best managers in the world all do it so not sure why McClaren has to be different, I know it made no difference to the result or performance and I don't want or expect him to be charging around like a maniac but it annoyed me he was nowhere to be seen for most of the game.

On the plus side though Kakay, Eze and Leistner did well. Roll on the reserves losing to Peterbrough on Tuesday
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 21:40]
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 22:05 - Aug 12 with 2887 viewsMyke

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 21:39 - Aug 12 by daveB

At the time i assumed Bidwell pushed him but watching it back on tv several times it was a terrible decision. How anyone can say that was a penalty is beyond me

Apologies in advance for the rant and I know I'll get stick for this but that second half yesterday was so crap it was unreal and very worrying from the players and manager.

I went into yesterdays game with hope that this is a decent squad and we'll have an Ok season, similar to last year, I still think we could do that but I saw things yesterday I really didn't like.

The playing out from the back, all well and good if you have players who can do it but when you have a keeper who looks low on confidence and you make the weakest part of his game the basis of the gameplan you are in trouble. the poor fella is hopeless with his feet under pressure and was Rob Green like at times, genuinely baffling why they persisted with it all half. Every goal kick Leistner stood waiting for the pass, he got it once and we ended up scoring, every other time he dinked it straight to a Sheffield United player or gave it to Lynch who quickly gave it away, utterly bizarre.

It's great watching Fulham, Brentford, Wolves etc play from the back but you need the players to do it, I'm far from convinced we have them. Our better players are at their best when they have the ball in the oppositon half so why on earth are we spending so much time playing triangles in our own half leaving our creative players no where near the oppositions goal.

The players look really unfit especially mass and Scowen who struggled, perhaps that’s due to how they played last year at a much higher tempo so they look more sluggish in a different style but all worrying

The whole point of McClaren was supposed to be he was much better for the kids giving more structure and an end to the moving kids into different positions and playing them one minute then dropping them.

I don't want to go down a comparison with the former manager but two games in we've seen Bright Samuel start at preston and hooked at half time and left out for the next game. Paul Smyth start yesterday hooked at half time and Bright Samuel brought back on to play first left wing, then switched to the right then back to the left then right back. That isn't what was advertised with this manager

As for the rest I have no idea where Freeman was supposed to be playing second half, he looked lost and frustrated. Washington was crap but should have been on about 10 minutes earlier to have any chance of an impact

The time wasting and gamesmanship by Sheff Utd was annoying but we made it easy for them to do it and never looked like scoring again in the second half

All in all they looked a relegation team to me, badly need additions in next few weeks in defence and up front, oh and don't like the manager sat up in the stand, I know he gets a better view but I'm old fashioned and think a manager should be on the touchline, the best managers in the world all do it so not sure why McClaren has to be different, I know it made no difference to the result or performance and I don't want or expect him to be charging around like a maniac but it annoyed me he was nowhere to be seen for most of the game.

On the plus side though Kakay, Eze and Leistner did well. Roll on the reserves losing to Peterbrough on Tuesday

Hmm, I hear your frustration and anxiety DaveB, but here comes the 'stick'. Good few contradictions in your post 'Washington was crap but should have been on ten minutes earlier to make an impact' being chief among them - surely if he was that crap he would have made no impact if he was there all game?
With regard to the kids Bright was poor last week and Smyth played well when he came on so reasonable enough to switch them this week. He did exactly the same with Smith/Sylla but nobody commenting on that. Unfortunately neither change worked, but both were reasonable and couldn't be compared with last years tinkering like playing Eze/Wheeler as a lone striker or Goss as a full back for one game and never again.
Don't really see
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 22:11 - Aug 12 with 2875 viewsdaveB

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 22:05 - Aug 12 by Myke

Hmm, I hear your frustration and anxiety DaveB, but here comes the 'stick'. Good few contradictions in your post 'Washington was crap but should have been on ten minutes earlier to make an impact' being chief among them - surely if he was that crap he would have made no impact if he was there all game?
With regard to the kids Bright was poor last week and Smyth played well when he came on so reasonable enough to switch them this week. He did exactly the same with Smith/Sylla but nobody commenting on that. Unfortunately neither change worked, but both were reasonable and couldn't be compared with last years tinkering like playing Eze/Wheeler as a lone striker or Goss as a full back for one game and never again.
Don't really see

Washington may well have made no impact if on earlier but he came on so late I'm not sure what he was expected to do in that time.

Perhaps I'm wrong on the changes but a lot of the complaints about Holloway were that he played Smyth one week then dropped him and McClaren would change that and give people a run in the side and let them develop. I just felt the dropping and hooking of Smyth and BOS plus the moving around of his position several times in 45 minutes wasn't what we were promised from this manager. You expect it from Holloway as right or wrong thats what he has always done but seeing the same things from McClaren has me a bit concerned.
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 22:23 - Aug 12 with 2845 viewsMyke

see the big issue with playing out from the back. Take the ball short pass it forward ten yards move forward and, take the return and repeat. Full backs take it short, peel off marker, run forward for return, lay off to runner from mid-field - not rocket science , the secret is constant movement. It was called 'the old one, two' when I was a kid, or 'give and go' more recently. If they can't pass it accurately over 10/15 yards then we really have a problem
I agree about being up in the stands, if Guadiola, Klopp et al are on the touchline then that is the place to be - it looks even sillier when you have to come down if things need changing
We do need to strengthen at the back, we all know that, Rangel should help and he was reared on playing out from the back.
They have a whole week to work on the keepers distribution so it shouldn't take long to get it right. Once again the secret is movement; Scowen, Leistner, Bidwell Kakay need to have the courage and confidence to take a short pass and as long as one other of these players has lost his marker (yes movement again, imagine) then even if someone is closing the receiver down , they have an easy 'get out' ball to play, they continue their run to receive the return ball and suddenly your in the opponents half and they are worried about you instead of vice versa.
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 22:29 - Aug 12 with 2824 viewsDejR_vu

Ah, what would we give for a Faurlin dropping deep and spraying passes around? Not in any way comparing them but the closest type we have on the books is Goss. He should be one that they're working on from a coaching perspective. If we could get him going he could make a big difference.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 22:39 - Aug 12 with 2793 viewsdaveB

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 22:23 - Aug 12 by Myke

see the big issue with playing out from the back. Take the ball short pass it forward ten yards move forward and, take the return and repeat. Full backs take it short, peel off marker, run forward for return, lay off to runner from mid-field - not rocket science , the secret is constant movement. It was called 'the old one, two' when I was a kid, or 'give and go' more recently. If they can't pass it accurately over 10/15 yards then we really have a problem
I agree about being up in the stands, if Guadiola, Klopp et al are on the touchline then that is the place to be - it looks even sillier when you have to come down if things need changing
We do need to strengthen at the back, we all know that, Rangel should help and he was reared on playing out from the back.
They have a whole week to work on the keepers distribution so it shouldn't take long to get it right. Once again the secret is movement; Scowen, Leistner, Bidwell Kakay need to have the courage and confidence to take a short pass and as long as one other of these players has lost his marker (yes movement again, imagine) then even if someone is closing the receiver down , they have an easy 'get out' ball to play, they continue their run to receive the return ball and suddenly your in the opponents half and they are worried about you instead of vice versa.

For playing out from the back to work you need a few wins doing it and clear evidence it works then the players get on board and and you begin to play football as Leeds are at the moment and Fulham did last season but if it was easy to do then everyone would do it, I think it's the hardest way to play and when you have a squad that has limited ability it's a very dangerous way to play. I'm not saying it can't work because the goal yesterday showed how it can but it's going to be a big ask to get this squad playing how McClaren wants them to and get results on a regular basis.

the alternative shouldn't be hoof it either but we need to get the likes of Luongo, Freeman and Eze on the ball in the oppositions half as often as possible if we are going to win games.
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 09:23 - Aug 13 with 2339 viewsstevec

The only tactic that seemed to work, if I can call it a tactic, was hoof the ball into their half, let them have it, drop back and then hope we win it back before our keeper gets his hands on it.

McClaren would do well to tell Ingram, once you've got that ball in your hands, go for the touchline kick and try to get the fckin thing into their half of the field.

All round applause and a chorus of Jerusalem.
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 09:44 - Aug 13 with 2313 viewsMyke

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 22:39 - Aug 12 by daveB

For playing out from the back to work you need a few wins doing it and clear evidence it works then the players get on board and and you begin to play football as Leeds are at the moment and Fulham did last season but if it was easy to do then everyone would do it, I think it's the hardest way to play and when you have a squad that has limited ability it's a very dangerous way to play. I'm not saying it can't work because the goal yesterday showed how it can but it's going to be a big ask to get this squad playing how McClaren wants them to and get results on a regular basis.

the alternative shouldn't be hoof it either but we need to get the likes of Luongo, Freeman and Eze on the ball in the oppositions half as often as possible if we are going to win games.

I really don't agree that keeping possession is that hard DaveB. You are absolutely right that it is a highly dangerous way to play if everyone remains static, if they panic when the ball is passed to them, if they can't control the ball or pass the ball 10/15 yards accurately. But you know, running around a bit, keeping calm on the ball for a few seconds while you have it, actually controlling the damn thing instead of it running 5 yards away from you, and managing to find a team-mate a few yards away, are all pretty basic requirements of a professional footballer. We are not looking for the next Bobby Moore or Franz Beckenbaur here. Maybe, when (if) Hall is fit, it might work a bit better
Login to get fewer ads

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 09:58 - Aug 13 with 2288 viewsBlue_Castello

No need to apologise Dave you make some very valid comments and echo how I was feeling watching the game, the second half was genuinely dreadful, we had no idea how to break down the Sheffield defence once they had taken the lead with the Very dubious penalty.
When we started the season last year against Reading I was incredibly impressed with the players fitness and their new closing down game, all that was missing on Saturday and the Sheffield players looked a lot fitter and sharper. It sounds like McLaren has been working hard on the training ground with repetitions, maybe a bit more time on their overall fitness would have helped.

Some people said we had a good first half but what game were they watching for the first 30 minutes approx we just let Sheffield play football and struggled to defend with Ingram not instilling much confidence, then somehow we got our act together and played some football for 15 minutes approx.
McLaren has obviously been coaching them to play it out from the back but it just didn't work and at this moment in time we don't have the players confident enough to carry out that type of game plan. Not sure how long we can persist with Lumley on the bench, the goalkeeper is integral to that type of playing style and Ingram does not look comfortable distributing the ball, we have to select the best option available.

I still think there's room for Freeman and Eze on the same pitch, they need to work hard at making it work, there were times in the first half when they linked up very well. Eze has a serious talent but is still learning the game, his all round game will get better as the season progresses, he could do with watching Dele Ali's work rate which they highlighted on MOTD, think there are some comparisons in style and Alis link up play has improved in his short career already.

Its only two games into the season but we need to win our home games to stay up as our away form is probably not going to improve much, Sheffield didn't look anywhere near as good a team as last year but coped with us easily over the 90 minutes. The loss of Smithies, Robinson and the Chief from defence has weakened us consierasbly, two of them sitting on the bench for Forest and Cardiff, the other seems to have gone AWOL.

Any chance somebody can get in touch with the Chief ask him wheat the hell he's up to and offer him an improved contracxt to come back, yes I know FFP and the wage structure but if he's not signed for anybody yet then maybe he would reconsider, we miss him big time.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 10:16]
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 10:08 - Aug 13 with 2275 viewsdaveB

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 09:44 - Aug 13 by Myke

I really don't agree that keeping possession is that hard DaveB. You are absolutely right that it is a highly dangerous way to play if everyone remains static, if they panic when the ball is passed to them, if they can't control the ball or pass the ball 10/15 yards accurately. But you know, running around a bit, keeping calm on the ball for a few seconds while you have it, actually controlling the damn thing instead of it running 5 yards away from you, and managing to find a team-mate a few yards away, are all pretty basic requirements of a professional footballer. We are not looking for the next Bobby Moore or Franz Beckenbaur here. Maybe, when (if) Hall is fit, it might work a bit better

It's hard because you need players confident and happy to receive the ball under pressure and always play your way out, players have to take a lot more responsibility and thats not something ours seem to want to do. Thats why teams who are not very good play long as it's easier to coach into limited players. I don't think we should abandon playing out from the back but we need a balance and not to do it every single time
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 10:38 - Aug 13 with 2194 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks for the detailed report Jordan. Agree with you, I can understand why he gave the pen but really I think it was a coming together and was only given because he (the ref) was so poor, saw something and thought he would show his importance. He like a lot of others couldn't spot the holding on Smith though. I also thought the first goal was offside at the time and haven't changed my mind since.

I agree we are naïve and too nice at times but the refereeing has been poor recently after going through a good spell at the beginning of last season. This lack of clamping down on gamesmanship and timewasting is ruining the game for the fans. It also only a matter of time before one of these wild swings on Eze or another attacker leads to an injury, maybe serious.

Time for (don't laugh) the football league to do something. Issue a directive telling refs to get tough. Warn the clubs that injuring a player through foul play may lead to them and their player being sued for losses. Do something for the fans to make it better. We are the ones who keep it going.

I left the game feeling pretty p*ssed off, on Saturday after once again seeing this farce that poses as entertainment. I live in hope that this cheating will diminish and it may become more enjoyable.

Btw, Lynch was booked for protesting the penalty, after it had been taken? A pointless booking.
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 10:53 - Aug 13 with 2158 viewsisawqpratwcity

Heartiest congrats to Neil and partner. Wtf is wrong with getting married in June or July?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 10:56 - Aug 13 with 2153 viewsNorthernr

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 10:53 - Aug 13 by isawqpratwcity

Heartiest congrats to Neil and partner. Wtf is wrong with getting married in June or July?

That question was asked a time or two.
And our table caused a scene when Eze scored
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 11:19 - Aug 13 with 2096 viewsPinnerPaul

On the playing out from the back.

Interesting comparison on MOTD2 last night on why it worked for Man City and not Arsenal.

And its not just that Man City have the better players - although that obviously helps, it was more about the movement of the players in front of the defenders/Gk that was the difference.

Arsenal's front players static, Man City's anything but.

Easy to blame Lynch and Ingram for their shortcomings on the ball, but they have to have options in front of them.
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 11:28 - Aug 13 with 2077 viewsPastCaringNW2

In terms of what the manager can put on the pitch going forward it's very much meet the new team same as the old team.

The big negative Saturday was seeing Luongo occupy a deeper role and that he seems just as sluggish this week as against Union Berlin. He has never been prolific in terms of the goal / assist stats but the team really missed his surging presence around the box. To a lesser degree Pav may have done more down the right in terms of giving Smith something to attack. Is he injured or on the auction block?

Freeman was not his usual influential self but he has had a lot to think about the last few weeks and it would be understandable if it takes him a while to settle down again.

The real problems in this system are at GK and the back six but not because of recruitment.

Yes four experienced players have gone and only one has come in but last year there were very few weeks when Holloway had anything like a fully fit squad to pick from.

The big upside is obviously Leistner who looks perfect for this division and is also an upgrade on Ned in terms of marshalling the defence. He and Hall could be good.

Seeing Bidwell play in his true position is an another upside and lessens the effect of losing Robinson. Jake is probably going to be very consistent over 46 games but is going to provide a lot less in terms of joining the attack. One of them had to go and in the end that was taken out of our hands.

The downsides are obvious -

First and foremost Ingram's distribution is poor when kicking from his hands and that is compounded by Lynch's discomfort whenever the ball was at his feet. Neither of these failings were quite as glaring against Union Berlin so hopefully we'll see an improvement in the coming games. Ingram's save down to his left in the 2nd half was stellar.

No one imagined we'd be playing someone even more inexperienced than Darnell at right back. That is not a recruitment issue. There was no point spending some of a very limited budget on someone who wont be first choice once Furlong returns but if Baptiste isn't first choice at RB in his absence then where does he fit in? Presumably once Hall is fit Lynch is back on the bench too.

In front of the back four Scowen and Luongo are not a pair that is going to work. That Duffy had the freedom of Loftus Road is proof that the balance is not right. I just hope it has been a matter of getting as many experienced players on the pitch as possible to provide a stable spine for the youngsters. Events suggest that Scowen and Cousins could and should be that DF midfield combination and that'll be ok with Leistner behind them.

And then the question is who out of the multitude of options plays in the three behind Sylla. For me, and 9 out of 10 fans will probably say the same, Luongo, Freeman and Eze are the obvious choices. Doesn't do much for us as a wide threat but all three can get crosses in. The best players are where they can do the most harm. Though realistically when Smith plays so should two out of Smyth, Pav and Osayi-Samuel. Tricky. Manning and Goss are probably first choice to understudy the midfield positions though others could emerge.

Any way you look at it Conor Washington is surplus to requirements. I feel for him but he's not what we need and vice versa. He could thrive in a more settled team where expectations are in line with his strengths. We've been in flux since he arrived and he was clearly bought without the coaching staff really having much of a clue as to how to get the best out of yet another unbalanced squad. If he is going to get one last kick at the can then it should be at centre forward on Tuesday.

My fear is that if the forays into the loan market are not fruitful then Osayi-Samuel and Kakay become the Brazier and Challis of their generation. Forced into a regular place too early in their development in a stuttering side. My recollection is that the crowd never turned on either of them but their play increasingly showed that covering for Impey and Bards was too much too soon. If you think of Eze's elevation as the equivalent of Quas sporadically filling Wlkins' role that year then there are other parallels. We know how that story ended - limited recruitment leading to a hat-full of slightly unfortunate draws and one goal defeats ultimately leading to a lot of endeavour but not enough points on the board ...
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 12:22]
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 13:04 - Aug 13 with 1899 viewsQPR_John

If we cannot play from the back obviously the only other option is the long ball. But have we the target man to hold the ball otherwise it just comes back. I suppose the only advantage of playing it long is that we lose the ball in a less dangerous part of the pitch
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 13:16 - Aug 13 with 1875 viewsMyke

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 10:08 - Aug 13 by daveB

It's hard because you need players confident and happy to receive the ball under pressure and always play your way out, players have to take a lot more responsibility and thats not something ours seem to want to do. Thats why teams who are not very good play long as it's easier to coach into limited players. I don't think we should abandon playing out from the back but we need a balance and not to do it every single time

Agree with all that - but abdicating responsibility is not something management (or supporters) should be willing to accept as the norm
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 13:49 - Aug 13 with 1819 viewsR_from_afar

Thanks for the report, great read from LFW, as ever.

I've now watched the "penalty" four times, including twice at 1/4 speed, and it looks very soft. Contact is not enough, remember, it has to be unfair contact. It took me two attempts to even work out what the ref was giving it for and, perhaps tellingly, the "fouled" Blade did not appear to appeal for a pen until he saw a teammate bellowing at the ref. Hmmm....

Still, if we only score one goal, we are always at the mercy of a rank bad decision.

We need to really get behind the team - every last player, even the weaker and underperforming ones - and mercilessly barrack the opposition, to try to have a positive impact in what might be a tough campaign. We can help the boys so let's get the scarves out and loosen our vocal chords.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 14:23 - Aug 13 with 1784 viewsDando

Was so frustrating watching us try to play out from the back, when clearly none of them are capable of doing so. Ingram looks like he has absolutely no confidence at all, is slow to distribute the ball and stays on his line. The sooner Lumley comes in the better

There seemed to be a huge gap in the middle of the park, and the ball never really got to our strikers at any point whatsoever. Whoever we sign, we wont improve if these are the tactics and Ingram remains in goal. Worried, very worried
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 14:38 - Aug 13 with 1752 viewsMyke

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 11:19 - Aug 13 by PinnerPaul

On the playing out from the back.

Interesting comparison on MOTD2 last night on why it worked for Man City and not Arsenal.

And its not just that Man City have the better players - although that obviously helps, it was more about the movement of the players in front of the defenders/Gk that was the difference.

Arsenal's front players static, Man City's anything but.

Easy to blame Lynch and Ingram for their shortcomings on the ball, but they have to have options in front of them.

Exactly. Everything becomes easier for the team with the ball and harder for the team without it, if the team with the ball is constantly on the move. Standing up waiting for something to happen or admiring a pass you just made is criminal at our level, at Arsenal's it beggars belief
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 16:42 - Aug 13 with 1567 viewsderbyhoop

Some of the weaknesses are the same as last year, but there appear to be problems all over the park.
Ingram's distribution
Lynch's inability to play a pass
Kakay may look OK going forward but teams will target him as the weak link
Mass doesn't seem to be fit enough. He did come back later than the others.
The ball doesn't stick up front - neither Smith (immobile) nor Sylla (disinterested) do enough to bring attacking midfielders into play

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 20:17 - Aug 13 with 1431 viewsonlyrinmoray

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 10:38 - Aug 13 by francisbowles

Thanks for the detailed report Jordan. Agree with you, I can understand why he gave the pen but really I think it was a coming together and was only given because he (the ref) was so poor, saw something and thought he would show his importance. He like a lot of others couldn't spot the holding on Smith though. I also thought the first goal was offside at the time and haven't changed my mind since.

I agree we are naïve and too nice at times but the refereeing has been poor recently after going through a good spell at the beginning of last season. This lack of clamping down on gamesmanship and timewasting is ruining the game for the fans. It also only a matter of time before one of these wild swings on Eze or another attacker leads to an injury, maybe serious.

Time for (don't laugh) the football league to do something. Issue a directive telling refs to get tough. Warn the clubs that injuring a player through foul play may lead to them and their player being sued for losses. Do something for the fans to make it better. We are the ones who keep it going.

I left the game feeling pretty p*ssed off, on Saturday after once again seeing this farce that poses as entertainment. I live in hope that this cheating will diminish and it may become more enjoyable.

Btw, Lynch was booked for protesting the penalty, after it had been taken? A pointless booking.

Lynch getting the bookings in early so that he will be banned for Xmas/New Year Therefore not pointless
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 20:19 - Aug 13 with 1429 viewsterryb

I've seen Bidwell play enough to know that there has to be a chance that he pushed the Blades player & watching the official highlights, I think he did with his buttock!

At least nineteen times out of twenty, nothing would have been awarded for the contact. Not even a free kick if it was outside the area!

It was a very harsh decision, but it may have been technically correct. However, that would mean that he should have given a foul every time there was contact in the match!

Not that this excuses the award, but I felt that it was only a matter of time before they scored a second goal.

In the same(ish) vein, Huddersfield had a free kick given against them when Luiz jumped into the back of Billings in the area when the score was 0-0.
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 02:31 - Aug 14 with 1261 viewstimcocking

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 21:39 - Aug 12 by daveB

A good and i fear accurate analysis.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 3:04]
Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 17:21 - Aug 14 with 1080 viewsNeil_SI

Controversial penalty sends QPR to Sheff Utd defeat — Report on 10:53 - Aug 13 by isawqpratwcity

Thanks mate. 😊

And yes, bit of a blooper on our part with the timing of it all! Sorry to Clive and the rest of the gang who came, but at least we had some fun when Eze scored. 😅
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 17:22]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024