Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Teams that lost real bad ... 00:23 - Aug 20 with 3532 viewsDannyPaddox

And what they did next.

Every hammering has its own context. I'm trying to recall a few and how those on the receiving end reacted, regrouped, and if and how long it took them to recover.

Palace 1989. Lost 9-0 at Anfield one evening early in the season. A squad full of later day gaffers and pundits; Alan Pardew, Thingy Coleman, Mark Bright, Dale Winton, Richard and Judy Finnegan, and Ian Wright. They finished the season playing in the FA Cup Final after beating the same Liverpool team 4-3 in the semi.

Arsenal Mid 00s. Lost 8-something) at Old Trafford. Their immediate reaction was to sell full back Almond Furore to QPR. They then proceeded to bimble along for the next 10 years under Arsene Wenger qualifying for Europe but never needing to open the trophy cabinet (Maybe they won a Cup Final, and a Community Thing).

Birmingham a few years back lost 8-0 at home to Bournemouth. That's bad! A result that left them so shellshocked they would later resort to employing Harold Redknapp OBE (Order of the Brown Envelope) who would once again clearly demonstrate his complete aversion to both wheeling and dealing.

West Ham got mullered by Man U late 90s. Newcastle, and Luton must have taken big hits along the way. Wasn't there a Spurs 9-0 Wigan. Also Man U 9-0 Ipswich. Oh they're al coming back now. Spurs 9-0 Bristol Rovers in the 70s. I'm sure all those teams got relegated.

Just about anyone Man City have played since Pep took over has taken a beating but that doesn't count. Did Wigan win the FA Cup the season they lost 9-0? That's it! Palace, Arsenal, Wigan all took beatings and all got to Cup Finals. We're going to Wembley!

And then we're going to get relegated!
Teams that lost real bad ... on 07:04 - Aug 20 with 2512 viewsCamberleyR

Or..... Huddersfield Town took a 10-1 beating in old division 2 at Maine Road 1987 (a young Paul Stewart and David White got hat tricks I think) and ended up rock bottom with 28 points (14 adrift of the fakes who were second last) and wait for it, conceded 100 goals!

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Teams that lost real bad ... on 07:18 - Aug 20 with 2494 viewsactonman

Has anyone had as many hammering as us ? It's getting all to regular these days and a bit of a joke for what's supposed to be a professional football club !!
For years the only tonking I remember was the Sheffield weds 7 - 1 but now off the top of my head I can think of Fulham chels@@ and Newcastle smashing 6 past us with 2 of them being our local rivals , that is clearly taking the p!ss

Club is a fkn embarrassment and hard to defend when being laughed at. Even sh!t but local doesn't cut it anymore
Teams that lost real bad ... on 08:20 - Aug 20 with 2434 viewsEsox_Lucius

Teams that lost real bad ... on 07:18 - Aug 20 by actonman

Has anyone had as many hammering as us ? It's getting all to regular these days and a bit of a joke for what's supposed to be a professional football club !!
For years the only tonking I remember was the Sheffield weds 7 - 1 but now off the top of my head I can think of Fulham chels@@ and Newcastle smashing 6 past us with 2 of them being our local rivals , that is clearly taking the p!ss

Club is a fkn embarrassment and hard to defend when being laughed at. Even sh!t but local doesn't cut it anymore

It seems that most of the outrage is from people who are more worried about mates and co-workers taking the piss. 5 or 6 hammerings over 50+ years of support hardly makes us an embarrassment, no more than beating York City 8-1 makes us world beaters. Grow up!

The grass is always greener.

Teams that lost real bad ... on 08:22 - Aug 20 with 2429 viewspaulparker

Teams that lost real bad ... on 08:20 - Aug 20 by Esox_Lucius

It seems that most of the outrage is from people who are more worried about mates and co-workers taking the piss. 5 or 6 hammerings over 50+ years of support hardly makes us an embarrassment, no more than beating York City 8-1 makes us world beaters. Grow up!

your right, nothing embarrassing about this club at all

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Teams that lost real bad ... on 08:25 - Aug 20 with 2418 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Teams that lost real bad ... on 07:04 - Aug 20 by CamberleyR

Or..... Huddersfield Town took a 10-1 beating in old division 2 at Maine Road 1987 (a young Paul Stewart and David White got hat tricks I think) and ended up rock bottom with 28 points (14 adrift of the fakes who were second last) and wait for it, conceded 100 goals!

Think that this is more likely than us going on to win the FA Cup, to be honest!
Teams that lost real bad ... on 08:35 - Aug 20 with 2395 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I remember Arsenal getting hammered by someone and Traore playing his part in that match just before we signed him!
Teams that lost real bad ... on 08:38 - Aug 20 with 2386 viewsaston_hoop

Teams that lost real bad ... on 07:04 - Aug 20 by CamberleyR

They showed the highlights of that game before the City v Huddersfield game yesterday. David White is HUGE these days.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Teams that lost real bad ... on 09:08 - Aug 20 with 2342 viewsAntti_Heinola

Teams that lost real bad ... on 08:22 - Aug 20 by paulparker

your right, nothing embarrassing about this club at all

I dunno, mate. It's an interesting one.

Just as I find the whole 'we're proud o'you, we're proud o'you, we're proud o'you Rangers' a bit mawkish and uncomfortable, I don't really get 'embarrassed' when we lose games either - even if it is by 7. Most fans of other clubs I know just feel sympathy if we take a hammering - bit of light-hearted joshing, obviously, but mainly it's sympathetic. Same for me to fans of other clubs, apart from the Big 5, where they deserve a bit of a p!ss take to balance out their glory and cup wins.

It's been said before, but there are loads of great reasons, if you're looking for them, to be 'proud' of the club rather than embarrassed. Fans make a lot of fuss about how they'll 'always be there' and how they're the 'heart and soul' and all that - which is absolutely true. And it's because of that there's no point, at least to me, in getting too upset about defeats - certainly not to the degree some do - certainly not to the degree you seem to, where it seems to genuinely impact your mental well-being. If you'll always be there, always singing, there's an unspoken contract that you'll be there in good times and bad. I feel for any fan who spends loads of money following their team only to get a terrible performance and result like that on Saturday. It's unacceptable. But embarrassed? The players should be, the management should be. They should also be angry and determined to put it right. But I don't think fans should be embarrassed. I know I'm picking on one word a bit, but I just can't see it. It's football. The 'banter' from other fans is all part of it. I remember tacking huge stick at school after the Stockport result in the 90s, and I was embarrassed. But I was a kid. As an adult, I think you've got to roll with it a bit. I just think, 'yeah, we lost 7-1. We were awful. We might get relegated. But I'll still be there.' The closest I've felt to shame was the Redknapp years. Now? Maybe I'm getting old, but results don't make me embarrassed. Especially not when I know what incredible work the club does in the community.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Teams that lost real bad ... on 09:31 - Aug 20 with 2286 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Teams that lost real bad ... on 09:08 - Aug 20 by Antti_Heinola

Just as I find the whole 'we're proud o'you, we're proud o'you, we're proud o'you Rangers' a bit mawkish and uncomfortable, I don't really get 'embarrassed' when we lose games either - even if it is by 7. Most fans of other clubs I know just feel sympathy if we take a hammering - bit of light-hearted joshing, obviously, but mainly it's sympathetic. Same for me to fans of other clubs, apart from the Big 5, where they deserve a bit of a p!ss take to balance out their glory and cup wins.

It's been said before, but there are loads of great reasons, if you're looking for them, to be 'proud' of the club rather than embarrassed. Fans make a lot of fuss about how they'll 'always be there' and how they're the 'heart and soul' and all that - which is absolutely true. And it's because of that there's no point, at least to me, in getting too upset about defeats - certainly not to the degree some do - certainly not to the degree you seem to, where it seems to genuinely impact your mental well-being. If you'll always be there, always singing, there's an unspoken contract that you'll be there in good times and bad. I feel for any fan who spends loads of money following their team only to get a terrible performance and result like that on Saturday. It's unacceptable. But embarrassed? The players should be, the management should be. They should also be angry and determined to put it right. But I don't think fans should be embarrassed. I know I'm picking on one word a bit, but I just can't see it. It's football. The 'banter' from other fans is all part of it. I remember tacking huge stick at school after the Stockport result in the 90s, and I was embarrassed. But I was a kid. As an adult, I think you've got to roll with it a bit. I just think, 'yeah, we lost 7-1. We were awful. We might get relegated. But I'll still be there.' The closest I've felt to shame was the Redknapp years. Now? Maybe I'm getting old, but results don't make me embarrassed. Especially not when I know what incredible work the club does in the community.

Same. The only thing I get embarrassed about are some of the self-deprecating fan songs. We're fcking sht and so on. I find that cringing. I can't remember ever hearing anyone elses fans sing that.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Teams that lost real bad ... on 09:39 - Aug 20 with 2270 viewspaulparker

Clive said it best in his match report that we have taken some serious tonkings in the last 7 years , that I can deal with , just , but the club is a shambles , badly run with awful managerial appointments (McLaren being the latest in Tonys choices )
all of the money flittered away on terrible players , how we cant get decent money when we sell an asset , the fact that we have had 7 managers in 7 years , the sacking of Holloway and the way Les is treated , the fact we are now loaning Manning , Wheeler, and potentially smyth so we can shoe horn George Thorne ( when did he last play ) and chris martin( fat and useless ) into the club , I find the whole thing embarrassing , yes the club does good community work , but so do a hell of lot of other clubs as well

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Teams that lost real bad ... on 09:55 - Aug 20 with 2232 viewssmegma

Last time we shipped 7, losing 7-1 at Hillsborough in 87 , we then lost 4-1 a mere 48 hours later at home to Arsenal.
Teams that lost real bad ... on 09:58 - Aug 20 with 2224 viewsactonman

Teams that lost real bad ... on 08:20 - Aug 20 by Esox_Lucius

Grow up ? How many of those hammerings I mention have been randomly over 50 years and how many over the last 5 or 6 years
Teams that lost real bad ... on 10:01 - Aug 20 with 2215 viewsstevec

Teams that lost real bad ... on 09:08 - Aug 20 by Antti_Heinola

Must admit I'm not fully up to speed with the work the club does in the community.

Are we going above and beyond what other clubs are doing? I imagine we are as none of my mates supporting various other mostly Premier League London clubs ever mention a word about their clubs work in the community.

Not sure whether that's because their clubs are primarily concerned with succeeding as a football club and they don't feel the need to bang on about it. Perhaps it's just something their clubs do as a bi product of being a football club.

I really don't know the comparisons, but happy to have my knowledge expanded.
Teams that lost real bad ... on 10:15 - Aug 20 with 2179 viewsMonahoop

The last time the club got walloped 7-1 was at Sheffield Wed on the third last game of the 1986/87 season. The final two games saw little improvement, lost 4-1 at home to Arsenal then whimpered to a 2-1 defeat at Charlton. In effect the end of that season was a mirror image to the start of this season losing three on the bounce. In fact QPR failed to win any of their last seven games that season and limped into 16th in the table.

The OP mentioned Spurs 9-0 hammering of Bristol Rovers back in the 70's, 1976 I think it was. Spurs spent a season in the old Div 2 back then. Rovers were cack as they always are. The game or the highlights were on Match of the Day. I still remember it well. But why do I remember it? Well a fellow at school who I hated with a passion, was a Rovers fan, the only one at the school too. Idiot! I just couldn't resist laying into him on the Monday morning about that score. By the end of the day I think he had enough of everyone else, teachers included, chiding him over his teams debacle that weekend. And Rovers were relegated to Div 3 at the seasons conclusion. Reasons to be cheerful over the silly Gas Head!

Anyway, hammerings in football happen. We'll get over this somehow, sometime.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Teams that lost real bad ... on 10:31 - Aug 20 with 2155 viewsAntti_Heinola

Teams that lost real bad ... on 09:39 - Aug 20 by paulparker

Clive said it best in his match report that we have taken some serious tonkings in the last 7 years , that I can deal with , just , but the club is a shambles , badly run with awful managerial appointments (McLaren being the latest in Tonys choices )
all of the money flittered away on terrible players , how we cant get decent money when we sell an asset , the fact that we have had 7 managers in 7 years , the sacking of Holloway and the way Les is treated , the fact we are now loaning Manning , Wheeler, and potentially smyth so we can shoe horn George Thorne ( when did he last play ) and chris martin( fat and useless ) into the club , I find the whole thing embarrassing , yes the club does good community work , but so do a hell of lot of other clubs as well

Sympathise mate, but actually I think the club is being run better than it was 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 years ago - the really bad stuff has already happened, but we're reaping the results of that now. Money isn't being frittered on terrible players anymore, and hasn't been for some time. We're not getting big fees, but then we've only sold Smithies - who *looks* to have gone cheap - although he's a bigger loss to us than gain for any prem team.
I think Ollie had to go - unpopular opinion, but had he been sacked after Forest in Feb no one would have had much to say. End of last season we lost to Preston at home, got tonked 4 by Hull (!) lost to Reading... there were results and performances that were really not a great deal worse than what we've seen so far this season - barring Saturday, although I suspect had we been playing WBA instead of Hull the score would have been closer to 7 then too. I thought McClaren had some sense to it, and maybe it still does - remember, Ollie won his first game by beating a team who had 10 men for 89 minutes - but only just. Then lost his next six.
I wouldn't worry too much about who we loan in until it actually happens, either. Agree, though, loads of things concerning me and making me angry and I'm really just being picky about the word 'embarrassing'.

Bare bones.

Teams that lost real bad ... on 10:42 - Aug 20 with 2137 viewspaulparker

Teams that lost real bad ... on 10:31 - Aug 20 by Antti_Heinola

Sympathise mate, but actually I think the club is being run better than it was 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 years ago - the really bad stuff has already happened, but we're reaping the results of that now. Money isn't being frittered on terrible players anymore, and hasn't been for some time. We're not getting big fees, but then we've only sold Smithies - who *looks* to have gone cheap - although he's a bigger loss to us than gain for any prem team.
I think Ollie had to go - unpopular opinion, but had he been sacked after Forest in Feb no one would have had much to say. End of last season we lost to Preston at home, got tonked 4 by Hull (!) lost to Reading... there were results and performances that were really not a great deal worse than what we've seen so far this season - barring Saturday, although I suspect had we been playing WBA instead of Hull the score would have been closer to 7 then too. I thought McClaren had some sense to it, and maybe it still does - remember, Ollie won his first game by beating a team who had 10 men for 89 minutes - but only just. Then lost his next six.
I wouldn't worry too much about who we loan in until it actually happens, either. Agree, though, loads of things concerning me and making me angry and I'm really just being picky about the word 'embarrassing'.

you actually think the club is being run well ? , wow

as for Olly he didn't have to go, he deserved another season at the very least with this squad he earned the right to take it forward, McLaren is a disaster of an appointment Again all done by TF and seemingly over the head of Les
If embarrassing is a word you don't like then perhaps the words are shambolic

Teams that lost real bad ... on 10:54 - Aug 20 with 2099 viewsactonman

Teams that lost real bad ... on 10:42 - Aug 20 by paulparker

you actually think the club is being run well ? , wow

as for Olly he didn't have to go, he deserved another season at the very least with this squad he earned the right to take it forward, McLaren is a disaster of an appointment Again all done by TF and seemingly over the head of Les
If embarrassing is a word you don't like then perhaps the words are shambolic

How about “ clusterfcuk “ as a term to describe us ?
Teams that lost real bad ... on 18:30 - Aug 20 with 1914 viewsterryb

Norwich lost by a shed load at home to Colchester a few years back first game of the season - 7-1?

They ended up being promoted back to the Championship.

In'65/66 Brentford beat us 6-1 on the opening day. We missed out on promotion by one place & Brentford were relegated!
Teams that lost real bad ... on 11:14 - Aug 21 with 1735 viewssmegma

Teams that lost real bad ... on 08:35 - Aug 20 by CroydonCaptJack

I remember Arsenal getting hammered by someone and Traore playing his part in that match just before we signed him!

8-2 at Old Trafford ???
Teams that lost real bad ... on 11:26 - Aug 21 with 1720 viewsElHoop

Teams that lost real bad ... on 18:30 - Aug 20 by terryb

Norwich lost by a shed load at home to Colchester a few years back first game of the season - 7-1?

They ended up being promoted back to the Championship.

In'65/66 Brentford beat us 6-1 on the opening day. We missed out on promotion by one place & Brentford were relegated!

Norwich lost 7-1 to Colchester and nicked their manager a week or two later - Paul Lambert. Were promoted as you say.

Villa beating Liverpool 5-1 in 1976 was a freaky one - scousers still won the league. Same Villa side which knocked us over in the League Cup semi final replay that season and then won the final.
Teams that lost real bad ... on 12:36 - Aug 21 with 1660 viewsqprxtc

Liverpool 10 Fulham 0, League Cup 1st leg 1986.

Liverpool went on to win loads more games and that means only one thing eventually and that one thing is trophies. And lot's of them.

Fulham went on to lose loads more games and that means only one thing eventually and that one thing is relegation. And lot's of them.

But then Fulham stopped doing that for a bit and decided to get a bit of dosh, spruce themselves up a bit and go out on the town and splash the cash. They gave a few rotters what for in that time. One particular rotter they couldn't help giving extra what for to and slapped them about on several occasions. Ouch.

We could end up going that way but we seem to have splashed our cash prematurely just before we got to give whoever what for. So we'll just have to get off our knees, settle for our current brewers droop, get some Kleenex and clean ourselves up and go home.
Teams that lost real bad ... on 12:53 - Aug 21 with 1648 viewsNov77

We got done 8-1 (eight bloody one!), at old Trafford 68-9,went onto create a record for the lowest ever points tally (18) in the top flight.

A record that held until 2008 when derby obliterated it with only 11 points

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Teams that lost real bad ... on 12:56 - Aug 21 with 1645 viewsManinBlack

Teams that lost real bad ... on 09:58 - Aug 20 by actonman

Grow up ? How many of those hammerings I mention have been randomly over 50 years and how many over the last 5 or 6 years

In defence of the stuffings we have got in recent years, three of them were in the Premier League, where there is a huge imbalance between the top chosen few and the rest. The risk about playing in the PL in recent times for a club of our size is that you are likely to be hammered at some point. When you look at the Chelsea and Man City squads we faced, and how bad we were, it is hardly surprising we conceded 6 to them. Money has caused this situation with the haves and have nots and that has started to pollute the Championship as well.

Since the 1970's such beatings for us were few and far between because it was all down to ability and not money and teams were more on an even keel. The big gulf in finances since Sky got involved now means that the risk for us smaller clubs, is that we are far more likely to lose by a big score, when facing teams with untold wealth. Whereas in the top division before, we rarely conceded more than 4 pre Sky, but if we were to play in the Premier league year after year now, I reckon we would concede 6 at least once a season because the top sides have such strong squads and in many cases have weakened the opposition by taking their better players.
Teams that lost real bad ... on 13:00 - Aug 21 with 1628 viewsWestbourneR

Can we change this thread to

'Teams that lost really badly'

It would make it so much more enjoyable. We're not using American English just yet, despite Simon Cowell's best efforts.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Teams that lost real bad ... on 13:45 - Aug 21 with 1576 viewsDannyPaddox

Teams that lost real bad ... on 13:00 - Aug 21 by WestbourneR

Can we change this thread to

'Teams that lost really badly'

It would make it so much more enjoyable. We're not using American English just yet, despite Simon Cowell's best efforts.

I beg your pardon Sir. Had been listening to the languid Pennsylvanian drawl of Kurt Vile all night. Guess the varmint's stateside-syntax and general vocal deliverivisation was just a-lingering through my Ibuprofaned cerebellum when I wrote that. Could be tho if you're looking for soccerball recall enjoyment you're on the wrong thread. Dude.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2018 13:47]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024