Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great win today. 17:34 - Aug 25 with 5081 viewsSnipper

Hemed and Wells made a massive difference today. We looked totally different in the final third. Their movement was superb the whole match.

Our central defenders were still giving heart in the mouth moments though. Lynch has to learn to stop lunging in and giving stupid free kicks in dangerous areas. We still need at least one CB in on loan imo.

As for McLaren, he’s bought himself some time with today’s win.

The Wally with the brolly is very much the man with the umbrella.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2018 17:34]
Great win today. on 17:53 - Aug 25 with 4142 viewssmegma

The save by Lumley first half was superb.
Great win today. on 17:58 - Aug 25 with 4091 viewsSnipper

Great win today. on 17:53 - Aug 25 by smegma

The save by Lumley first half was superb.

Too bloody right. I said straight away that it was 1-0 to them if Ingram was in goal.

Lumley talks the whole time too. Very good to see.
Great win today. on 18:19 - Aug 25 with 3892 viewstimcocking

Credit to McClaren for managing to accommodate Freeman, Eze, Luongo and both the new guys in the same lineup and getting a win. That was a brave lineup, with plenty of attacking intent at least on paper. Of which i approve. Many a manager would have been trying to clog everything up playing 11 behind the ball in terror. I might well have.

Delighted to see Lumley do well, well done the new boys.

One step at a time...

We need a centre back with pace. It was, withoput harping on about it, a major strength with Ned and Robinson. You couldn't beat either for pace really. A huge difference to a team without at least one who can cover.
Great win today. on 18:27 - Aug 25 with 3814 viewsNortholt_Rs

Great win today. on 18:19 - Aug 25 by timcocking

Credit to McClaren for managing to accommodate Freeman, Eze, Luongo and both the new guys in the same lineup and getting a win. That was a brave lineup, with plenty of attacking intent at least on paper. Of which i approve. Many a manager would have been trying to clog everything up playing 11 behind the ball in terror. I might well have.

Delighted to see Lumley do well, well done the new boys.

One step at a time...

We need a centre back with pace. It was, withoput harping on about it, a major strength with Ned and Robinson. You couldn't beat either for pace really. A huge difference to a team without at least one who can cover.

This. Great win for the boys and manager. We all really needed that result! Hopefully the team builds a bit of confidence and this win springboards our season. COYRs!!!!!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Great win today. on 18:32 - Aug 25 with 3755 viewsnottonyfernandes

Great win today. on 17:58 - Aug 25 by Snipper

Too bloody right. I said straight away that it was 1-0 to them if Ingram was in goal.

That was the difference for me, you could see Toni trying to organise too. Those two together will do well even if lynch didn’t seem to like the extra words from Toni. It’s what we need.

Disclaimer: I was the year about matt at school(jhgs) so could seem biased, but he was quiet then too. Always wanted him To start because of that but Joanna didn’t take long to change my mind
Great win today. on 18:47 - Aug 25 with 3635 viewsA40Bosh

In fairness Lynch and Toni have had a schocking couple of games, but I have to say credit where credit is due I think I would have given Lynch 6 perhaps even a 7 today based on what I watched.

Personally I think that the back 4 is being exposed by us not controlling the midfield and If Scowen gets caught out of position due to Luke or Mass losing possession when there should be a counter you suddenly have a lot of space in front of the back 4 to cover.

At times today I thought both CB put their bodies and heads in and helped keep the clean sheet as much as the fact we scored.

Eze has to get involved more and play more like Wells did. Mass needs to show up this season and Freeman needs to take less touches and lay off the pass effectively.

Early days but the patient is starting to show early signs of possible recovery!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Great win today. on 18:50 - Aug 25 with 3594 viewssmegma

Two clean sheets in two games so far. Including his stint at Blackpool, that's 11 clean sheets in his last 22 games. He should've been first choice a year ago, hopefully he's here to stay.
Great win today. on 18:50 - Aug 25 with 3594 viewsjoolsyp

Lynch played really well today. Wish the knockers would leave him alone and give him some credit. He bailed Leistner out a few times today.
Login to get fewer ads

Great win today. on 18:50 - Aug 25 with 3589 viewspaulparker

A clean sheet is the bonus, much, much needed
The Birmingham game is massive , if we can win that would be a massive result for us

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Great win today. on 18:52 - Aug 25 with 3575 viewsVancouverHoop

Lumley was excellent. Exactly the kind of performance we needed from our stopper. He definitely helped our back four. As did a much improved performance from Scowen who was closer to his normal ratty self. Unfortunately the same can't be said of Luongo – though he improved in the game's later stages.
Great win today. on 18:59 - Aug 25 with 3533 viewsRangersw12

Much much needed win and the most pleasing thing for me was they really work for it

I thought Freeman was excellent with his defensive work.

Still a lot to work on though but it would be great to beat Rovers Tuesday and get a point at Blues
Great win today. on 19:02 - Aug 25 with 3523 viewsridethewave

I think it’s unfair to stick Eze on the wing and then claim he doesn’t get involved enough... it’s the wrong position for him, he needs to be in and around the middle where he can dictate play.

If he’s not going to be played in the correct position the manager should stick a proper winger there.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2018 19:04]
Great win today. on 19:07 - Aug 25 with 3462 viewsDorse

Great win today. on 19:02 - Aug 25 by ridethewave

I think it’s unfair to stick Eze on the wing and then claim he doesn’t get involved enough... it’s the wrong position for him, he needs to be in and around the middle where he can dictate play.

If he’s not going to be played in the correct position the manager should stick a proper winger there.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2018 19:04]

Picking players in their correct positions?! Witchcraft! Voodoo!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Great win today. on 20:48 - Aug 25 with 3082 viewsHunterhoop

Great win today. on 18:52 - Aug 25 by VancouverHoop

Lumley was excellent. Exactly the kind of performance we needed from our stopper. He definitely helped our back four. As did a much improved performance from Scowen who was closer to his normal ratty self. Unfortunately the same can't be said of Luongo – though he improved in the game's later stages.

Disagree entirely.

Whilst Luongo’s passing was woeful, he made far more tackles and blocks then Scowen. He threw himself at one in the second half which was outstanding.

I struggle to recall a meaningful tackle, block, or pass Scowen made. He swept up, but that was about it. Luongo was better without being that good.
Great win today. on 21:02 - Aug 25 with 3005 viewsbaz_qpr

Great win today. on 20:48 - Aug 25 by Hunterhoop

Disagree entirely.

Whilst Luongo’s passing was woeful, he made far more tackles and blocks then Scowen. He threw himself at one in the second half which was outstanding.

I struggle to recall a meaningful tackle, block, or pass Scowen made. He swept up, but that was about it. Luongo was better without being that good.

I think that would be fair based on the 2nd half but the first 45 minutes he (Luongo) was utterly woeful and Scowen was having to struggle in there covering for him. Scowen scuffed a few second half but a solid 6 for me Luongo a 5 because you have to play for 2 halves.

Luongo has never thrived in a midfield 2 only in a 3 and I'm not sure he is the answer in a 4-4-2
Great win today. on 21:03 - Aug 25 with 3001 viewsTacticalR

It might have been a great win, but it wasn't a great game.

Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth...on Tuesday Bristol had a few bright sparks who we had trouble with, but Wigan didn't seem to have anybody like that.

Air hostess clique

Great win today. on 21:06 - Aug 25 with 2977 viewsVancouverHoop

Scowen put through a couple lovely long passes in the first half, one for Wells (I think) to run onto on the right wing was particularly impressive. I thought he broke up play well throughout the match. Luongo was sluggish and behind the play early on and almost gave away a penalty with a late tackle on the edge of the box in the first half. As I noted, he slowly improved in the second half, but he's still a long way from the player he was at the end of last season. TBF Scowen isn't there yet either, but seemed a lot closer to it for more of the match than he had in previous games. Truthfully I think they've both been well below par until today, and our defensive lapses have been as much down to them as to our back four.
Great win today. on 21:11 - Aug 25 with 2929 viewsbaz_qpr

As to the rest of the game Lumley made a big difference at the back the switch to 4-4-2 simplified things and allowed us to defend with two banks of 4, fairly scrappy going forward though. Hemed a class above, a touch of the Austin's in his goal but also a touch of the Helgusson in his link up play. Wells also very good and will get better.

Think its a mistake to get rid of little Smyth on loan as it was for Manning, could have real impact from the bench and disappointed not to see him and Chair on the bench. The whole kids thing seems to have gone out the window in the short term. 4-4-2 won't suit Eze, Smyth, Chair will benefit Furlong when his fit and kakay.

If we are going this route going to need a midfield general, a centre back and another left back (Bidwell pretty poor again today)

Great Atmosphere too
Great win today. on 21:22 - Aug 25 with 2863 viewsBlue_Castello

Great win today. on 21:02 - Aug 25 by baz_qpr

I think that would be fair based on the 2nd half but the first 45 minutes he (Luongo) was utterly woeful and Scowen was having to struggle in there covering for him. Scowen scuffed a few second half but a solid 6 for me Luongo a 5 because you have to play for 2 halves.

Luongo has never thrived in a midfield 2 only in a 3 and I'm not sure he is the answer in a 4-4-2

IMO - Have to agree I thought over the 90 Scowen had a good game and worked very hard, Luongo just doesn't look anywhere near the player we saw last year, he still seems to be suffering from the World Cup blues...

That said a much better all round team performance today, the players seemed to have got the message to win games you have to work hard for 90 minutes. The defence was helped massively by a very confident commanding goalkeeper in Lumley, he never stopped talking to his defence and took the chance to become a leader from between the sticks, an old head on young shoulders.

The Wells and Hemed combination was like a breath of fresh air up front, both intelligent strikers who know where to run to create space and cause problems for defenders. An excellent addition to the squad we suddenly had players who could convert defence into attack and have the intelligence to hold the ball whilst looking for options.

There's a long way to go yet but there's some serious signs of improvement, if we can get the defence better drilled and more in tune with each other there's plenty more points available, that said still think we need another centre back before the loan window closes.
Great win today. on 21:53 - Aug 25 with 2755 viewsBoston

Great win today. on 21:22 - Aug 25 by Blue_Castello

IMO - Have to agree I thought over the 90 Scowen had a good game and worked very hard, Luongo just doesn't look anywhere near the player we saw last year, he still seems to be suffering from the World Cup blues...

That said a much better all round team performance today, the players seemed to have got the message to win games you have to work hard for 90 minutes. The defence was helped massively by a very confident commanding goalkeeper in Lumley, he never stopped talking to his defence and took the chance to become a leader from between the sticks, an old head on young shoulders.

The Wells and Hemed combination was like a breath of fresh air up front, both intelligent strikers who know where to run to create space and cause problems for defenders. An excellent addition to the squad we suddenly had players who could convert defence into attack and have the intelligence to hold the ball whilst looking for options.

There's a long way to go yet but there's some serious signs of improvement, if we can get the defence better drilled and more in tune with each other there's plenty more points available, that said still think we need another centre back before the loan window closes.

Let's hope he doesn't suffer Birmingham blues.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Great win today. on 22:20 - Aug 25 with 2633 viewsterryb

Just a few thoughts from today:-

- On Tuesday the team received boo's at half time & today were clapped off at that time. Yet, I thought we played better in the first half against Bristol City than we did today!

- Leistner & Lynch played a lot closer to each other today & looked better defenders for it.

- Although Lumley has a long way to go, he exudes more confidence than Ingram does. I also think he is more vocal & our players listen to him. The most pleasing part of his performance was how he came & punched the ball clear from Wigan's last free kick.

- Wells workrate was superb & I thought he was easily the best player on the pitch.

- I enjoyed how the players showed their relief & celebrated at the end of the match. Especially how they all went & congratulated Lumley.

- Please can we stop giving away these stupid free kicks! Not that they caused us much danger today, but that will not always be the case & most could have been avoided.

The wine is tasting good tonight!
Great win today. on 23:29 - Aug 25 with 2435 viewsCiderwithRsie

Future captain?
Great win today. on 08:22 - Aug 26 with 2022 viewsdavman

Great win today. on 22:20 - Aug 25 by terryb

Just a few thoughts from today:-

- On Tuesday the team received boo's at half time & today were clapped off at that time. Yet, I thought we played better in the first half against Bristol City than we did today!

- Leistner & Lynch played a lot closer to each other today & looked better defenders for it.

- Although Lumley has a long way to go, he exudes more confidence than Ingram does. I also think he is more vocal & our players listen to him. The most pleasing part of his performance was how he came & punched the ball clear from Wigan's last free kick.

- Wells workrate was superb & I thought he was easily the best player on the pitch.

- I enjoyed how the players showed their relief & celebrated at the end of the match. Especially how they all went & congratulated Lumley.

- Please can we stop giving away these stupid free kicks! Not that they caused us much danger today, but that will not always be the case & most could have been avoided.

The wine is tasting good tonight!

For a long while now, we have been giving away daft tree kicks in areas where the oppo can deliver a ball into our area. I don't watch other teams at our level, so have no idea whether it is just us, but it is certainly a trait of ours for a good 10 years at least...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Great win today. on 08:37 - Aug 26 with 1976 viewsHayesender

Great win today. on 08:22 - Aug 26 by davman

For a long while now, we have been giving away daft tree kicks in areas where the oppo can deliver a ball into our area. I don't watch other teams at our level, so have no idea whether it is just us, but it is certainly a trait of ours for a good 10 years at least...

The most stupid in recent memory being the one Mbia gave away against Wigan in 2015. Knew then we were going down

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Great win today. on 09:09 - Aug 26 with 1877 viewsEsox_Lucius

Great win today. on 21:02 - Aug 25 by baz_qpr

In the first half Luongo appeared to be under instruction to ping the ball out wide towards Hemed and it is obvious that long passes are definitely not his forte, hence in the second half he went back to short snappy passing with the players around him and the difference was noticeable.
A similar thing was happening with Eze, he was being played out wide and he made little impact on the game despite the sublime skill shown when he got possession and held it whilst under pressure. Whilst he did do some defensive duties I don't see him as a player who will influence a game with his defensive abilities and to use it as a focal point of criticism of him is worthless IMO. It's akin to criticising Lumley because he doesn't work the ball in the channels in the opponents half.
Yesterday was a bit of a stuttering performance and you could see Lumleys hands shake when he made his first save and held the ball securely but this gave him the confidence he needed and his performance more than merited his inclusion. Wells & Hemed both looked a little short of sharpness but not of guile and ability so I have great hopes for them in the months ahead. The fighting spirit to keep going until the end was encouraging even if the decision to defend deep from the 75th was a bit of a heartstopper and I bet I wasn't the only one in the ground who thought an equaliser, or worse, was coming but well done to the team and the coaching staff for a job well done in the end.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024