Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
vardy and cahill 19:01 - Aug 28 with 4235 viewsdistortR

have both given up international football to concentrate on club football. Meanwhile loftus-cheek appears to have given up club football in order to concentrate on international football
vardy and cahill on 19:06 - Aug 28 with 4211 viewssmegma

I don't blame Vardy at all. Treated like $hit so that Sterling can be accomodated
vardy and cahill on 20:47 - Aug 28 with 4064 viewswestberksr

Vardy never given a run and I thought his couldn't give a fukk about reputation attitude would have made him a great option.

Also makes defenders uncomfortable by running them down and just being a PITA, I really like the horrible scrote.
vardy and cahill on 01:30 - Aug 29 with 3846 viewstimcocking

Neither was good enough to get in the England team if we weren't very poor.

Ps We always have half a squad of players who've given up football in any capacity.
vardy and cahill on 10:23 - Aug 29 with 3691 viewsAntti_Heinola

vardy and cahill on 19:06 - Aug 28 by smegma

I don't blame Vardy at all. Treated like $hit so that Sterling can be accomodated

treated like sh!t? Or just an important squad member who doesn't start most games?
Bizarre.
Sterling's a great player and had a decent World Cup.

Bare bones.

vardy and cahill on 11:36 - Aug 29 with 3644 viewsDavieQPR

Players always give up Internationals when they know they are not going
to be selected anymore.
vardy and cahill on 14:56 - Aug 29 with 3568 viewssmegma

vardy and cahill on 10:23 - Aug 29 by Antti_Heinola

treated like sh!t? Or just an important squad member who doesn't start most games?
Bizarre.
Sterling's a great player and had a decent World Cup.

Sterlings a great player for City where he is surrounded by world class players. Has done nothing in an England shirt. Has more yellow cards than goals for England. As for him having a good World Cup ???
vardy and cahill on 15:00 - Aug 29 with 3564 viewsCroydonCaptJack

vardy and cahill on 14:56 - Aug 29 by smegma

Sterlings a great player for City where he is surrounded by world class players. Has done nothing in an England shirt. Has more yellow cards than goals for England. As for him having a good World Cup ???

I thought he did ok in the World Cup to be honest.
vardy and cahill on 15:01 - Aug 29 with 3562 viewsAntti_Heinola

vardy and cahill on 14:56 - Aug 29 by smegma

played every meaningful game and we got to the semis.
Thought he did well.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

vardy and cahill on 15:10 - Aug 29 with 3547 viewssmegma

vardy and cahill on 15:01 - Aug 29 by Antti_Heinola

Thought he did well.

Played 90 minutes 12 times in 44 appearances. 2 goals in those appearances. He's like Conor Washington when it comes to England games.

Has made double figures in goals once in 6 seasons.
vardy and cahill on 15:17 - Aug 29 with 3537 viewsAntti_Heinola

vardy and cahill on 15:10 - Aug 29 by smegma

Played 90 minutes 12 times in 44 appearances. 2 goals in those appearances. He's like Conor Washington when it comes to England games.

I'm not going to argue with the stats, just to say I thought he played well at the World Cup (although should've scored at least a couple with the chances he had) and was worth his place, especially after a magnificent season - still only 23 too, so improvement on the international stage is likely.
Don't start throwing around stats about goals in seasons (especially when you're counting three seasons in which he was a teenager ffs), it's all meaningless in this discussion apart from the most recent season. Vardy only got 5 goals in 2012/13 and only 5 again in 14/15. But that didn't make him not worth a squad place in 2018.
But that's all by the by - weird thing was your claim Vardy was treated like sh!t by Southgate, which is clearly nonsense.

Bare bones.

vardy and cahill on 15:34 - Aug 29 with 3525 viewsElHoop

I got the impression that Vardy has been struggling with a few little injuries in the past couple of years, but has battled on regardless. It's a shame because after Kane I think that at his best he's been the number one alternative. God knows who we could pick up front if Kane gets injured - not many other English strikers are getting any sort of game time at the moment.
vardy and cahill on 15:53 - Aug 29 with 3500 viewsAntti_Heinola

vardy and cahill on 15:34 - Aug 29 by ElHoop

I got the impression that Vardy has been struggling with a few little injuries in the past couple of years, but has battled on regardless. It's a shame because after Kane I think that at his best he's been the number one alternative. God knows who we could pick up front if Kane gets injured - not many other English strikers are getting any sort of game time at the moment.

Eze, obviously ;)

Bare bones.

vardy and cahill on 16:01 - Aug 29 with 3489 viewssmegma

vardy and cahill on 15:17 - Aug 29 by Antti_Heinola

I'm not going to argue with the stats, just to say I thought he played well at the World Cup (although should've scored at least a couple with the chances he had) and was worth his place, especially after a magnificent season - still only 23 too, so improvement on the international stage is likely.
Don't start throwing around stats about goals in seasons (especially when you're counting three seasons in which he was a teenager ffs), it's all meaningless in this discussion apart from the most recent season. Vardy only got 5 goals in 2012/13 and only 5 again in 14/15. But that didn't make him not worth a squad place in 2018.
But that's all by the by - weird thing was your claim Vardy was treated like sh!t by Southgate, which is clearly nonsense.

And not patronising one bit. I think Vardy has been treated like shit by all managers. You may disagree and have. Leave it at that.

As much as I think Vardy has been treated it's nothing compared to Charlie Austin. The year we got relegated he scored 18 goals. The only England call up he got, was against Ireland in Dublin. Roy chose a front two of Sterling and Rooney. As usual, Sterling was subbed and replaced by Vardy for his debut. All 3 forwards hadn't scored 18 goals between them that season. We then had a qualifier a few days later and again Austin didn't play. But then Roy is a football genius. You know, the manager who decided that Englands best forward in decades should take all corners at Euro 2016.
vardy and cahill on 16:24 - Aug 29 with 3440 viewsElHoop

vardy and cahill on 15:53 - Aug 29 by Antti_Heinola

Eze, obviously ;)

It would be great to have someone in the England squad again, one day. He'll probably go for someone pretty obscure to replace Vardy - might as well as he's got nothing to lose at this point in time.
vardy and cahill on 16:45 - Aug 29 with 3418 viewsrobith

vardy and cahill on 15:01 - Aug 29 by Antti_Heinola

Thought he did well.

Beeb did an interesting piece of analysis of the Croatia game that showed his pace was keeping the Croatian backline pinned back, as he was regularly beating their CBs to the ball, but that Kane and the midfield were then 40m away from him and sluggish to get up so he wasn't supported. After he was taken off, Croatia started playing 10 m higher up the pitch allowing their midfield to grind England to death
vardy and cahill on 16:50 - Aug 29 with 3411 viewsHayesender

Vardy has made a fantastic career for himself through sheer hard work , and made the most of limited skill.

Has gone from non-league to league champion, and played in two major international tournaments.

I doff my imaginary cap to him

Poll: Shamima Beghum

vardy and cahill on 16:51 - Aug 29 with 3406 viewsrobith

vardy and cahill on 15:10 - Aug 29 by smegma

One of those 6 seasons he made 3 sub appearances in all year, would have to be pretty magic to get double figures there.

He scored and assisted over 30% of City's league goals last year, but I guess that must be because of everyone else in the team?

I also feel at the world cup he struggled cos everyone was on his back (yet gave a free pass to Dele Alli who was atrocious?) - looked a different player in his first City game this year
vardy and cahill on 17:01 - Aug 29 with 3389 viewsToast_R

vardy and cahill on 16:01 - Aug 29 by smegma

And not patronising one bit. I think Vardy has been treated like shit by all managers. You may disagree and have. Leave it at that.

As much as I think Vardy has been treated it's nothing compared to Charlie Austin. The year we got relegated he scored 18 goals. The only England call up he got, was against Ireland in Dublin. Roy chose a front two of Sterling and Rooney. As usual, Sterling was subbed and replaced by Vardy for his debut. All 3 forwards hadn't scored 18 goals between them that season. We then had a qualifier a few days later and again Austin didn't play. But then Roy is a football genius. You know, the manager who decided that Englands best forward in decades should take all corners at Euro 2016.

Austin would have been a terrible choice for England given his appaling injury record. He'd never make a tournament fit and ready.
vardy and cahill on 17:19 - Aug 29 with 3372 viewsAntti_Heinola

vardy and cahill on 16:01 - Aug 29 by smegma

sorry if i sounded patronising, didn't mean to be.
Depends on what your definition of 'treated like sh!t' is, really. Hodgson called him up after he'd barely scored any goals and the following season he went on a massive tear up - so clearly Hodgson, for all his faults (although what a lovely job he's done at Palace), saw something in him a lot didn't. I remember at the time people laughed that Vardy was even picked for the squad. He's a good player. Not being picked regularly isn't 'treating him like sh!t', it's just he's not quite the right player for the system, or we have slightly better players in his position.
Agree Austin deserved a call-up at the time you mention, but realistically beyond that he's not international class and his injury record has been awful really since he left us.

Bare bones.

vardy and cahill on 18:34 - Aug 29 with 3325 viewsTacticalR

Isn't the issue that the English team no longer follows Vardyism? Instead they are trying to retain the ball and get goals from the love train on corners.

Air hostess clique

vardy and cahill on 18:43 - Aug 29 with 3313 viewsJigsore

vardy and cahill on 20:47 - Aug 28 by westberksr

Vardy never given a run and I thought his couldn't give a fukk about reputation attitude would have made him a great option.

Also makes defenders uncomfortable by running them down and just being a PITA, I really like the horrible scrote.

I think Vardy is an excellent player but he's quite one dimensional in someways. he's not overly-reliant on pace despite that being a big part of his game but he needs his team to play deep and rely on counter attacks which just happens to be something Southgate is trying to move away from.

he might be the best player in the Premier League for playing off the shoulder of the last defender but he's just being unlucky in coming into the England fold while we're trying a different style. Not to mention Harry Kane is England's best striker for about 20 years and it's rare to see two playes in that position these days.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

vardy and cahill on 20:37 - Aug 29 with 3234 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

RE Mr Sterling:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44771432
vardy and cahill on 23:13 - Aug 29 with 3193 viewssmegma

vardy and cahill on 17:01 - Aug 29 by Toast_R

Austin would have been a terrible choice for England given his appaling injury record. He'd never make a tournament fit and ready.

But at the time of the Ireland game he didn't have an injury problem. In the same squad was Tom Heaton. He also didn't play in the two games as Hodgson also accommodated Hart no matter what form he was in or the fact that another keeper needed the experience.
vardy and cahill on 08:40 - Aug 30 with 3110 viewsGroveR

vardy and cahill on 16:24 - Aug 29 by ElHoop

It would be great to have someone in the England squad again, one day. He'll probably go for someone pretty obscure to replace Vardy - might as well as he's got nothing to lose at this point in time.

He qualifies for Nigeria as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024