Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coming over here, changing our clocks... 13:25 - Aug 31 with 2829 viewsMick_S

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45366390

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 13:42 - Aug 31 with 2792 viewsTonto

perectly sensible idea, in this day and age of mechanical farming its an outdated practise that buggers up my body clock twice a year for no apparent reason.

(or for brexiteers - it's Greenwich Mean Time and it should stay GMT for ever and we should be proud of it)

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 13:52 - Aug 31 with 2759 viewsfrancisbowles

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 13:42 - Aug 31 by Tonto

perectly sensible idea, in this day and age of mechanical farming its an outdated practise that buggers up my body clock twice a year for no apparent reason.

(or for brexiteers - it's Greenwich Mean Time and it should stay GMT for ever and we should be proud of it)

GMT is the time that we use in the winter months. In the summer we use BST.

I would much prefer that we stay on BST.
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 14:10 - Aug 31 with 2735 viewsDorse

When I was teaching, I told my tutor group that the EU was moving over to decimal time. The length of a day would be divided by 10 to make ten hours; each hour would be divided by 100 to make 100 minutes an hour and the year would now have ten months, including Octember and Marpril. When I told them that, due to the changes, anyone born in November and December would be put into the year below, they went crackers.

It took about 10 minutes before any of them clocked it was April 1st.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 14:33 - Aug 31 with 2686 viewsTacticalR

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 14:10 - Aug 31 by Dorse

When I was teaching, I told my tutor group that the EU was moving over to decimal time. The length of a day would be divided by 10 to make ten hours; each hour would be divided by 100 to make 100 minutes an hour and the year would now have ten months, including Octember and Marpril. When I told them that, due to the changes, anyone born in November and December would be put into the year below, they went crackers.

During the French Revolution Decimal Time was actually introduced in France:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time

The months were also renamed e.g. February was renamed to 'Ventôse' (Windy), July renamed to 'Thermidor' (Summer Heat) etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar

Air hostess clique

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 14:59 - Aug 31 with 2616 viewscolinallcars

Being of a “ certain age” I seem to remember back in, I think, the late 60s or early 70s we tried going back to standard timefor a year or so. It was awful....still dark at 9 in the morning.
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 15:15 - Aug 31 with 2569 viewsBoston

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 14:33 - Aug 31 by TacticalR

The months were also renamed e.g. February was renamed to 'Ventôse' (Windy), July renamed to 'Thermidor' (Summer Heat) etc.

Y’wha, the French only ate chicken in July!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 15:51 - Aug 31 with 2488 viewsHantsR

Oh dear, bang goes a quiz question, "what's the longest month in the year?"
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 16:09 - Aug 31 with 2459 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 14:33 - Aug 31 by TacticalR

I always liked the story I heard from an old proffessor I met at a UCL classics cheese and wine night in the 90's.

Fascinating man who remembered the Nazi's singing the Horst Wessel and marching in Berlin in the 20's.

Anyway he told me when Augustus was mooted about naming a month he replied 'Have a care sir, lest there be more than 12 of us' even if it's not true it's a great quote.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 16:14 - Aug 31 with 2439 viewslondonscottish

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 14:10 - Aug 31 by Dorse

That's genius :-)

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 16:16 - Aug 31 with 2437 viewsDavieQPR

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 16:09 - Aug 31 by Metallica_Hoop

I always liked the story I heard from an old proffessor I met at a UCL classics cheese and wine night in the 90's.

Fascinating man who remembered the Nazi's singing the Horst Wessel and marching in Berlin in the 20's.

Anyway he told me when Augustus was mooted about naming a month he replied 'Have a care sir, lest there be more than 12 of us' even if it's not true it's a great quote.

Sorry couldn't but notice UCL and 'proffessor'
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 17:44 - Aug 31 with 2349 viewsderbyhoop

Living in France, we're already an hour ahead of you UK residents.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 18:00 - Aug 31 with 2325 viewsHantsR

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 17:44 - Aug 31 by derbyhoop

Some of the countries on CET, ought not to be - obvious example is Spain, which ought to be on GMT
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 01:28 - Sep 1 with 2216 viewssmegma

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 16:09 - Aug 31 by Metallica_Hoop

What cheese???
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 01:31 - Sep 1 with 2215 viewssmegma

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 18:00 - Aug 31 by HantsR

Some of the countries on CET, ought not to be - obvious example is Spain, which ought to be on GMT

China has 1 time zone.

A great story my ex mother in law told. She was on the Trans Siberian Railway in 1974 travelling from east to west. It was her birthday and she celebrated it for 27 hours.
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 08:16 - Sep 1 with 2129 viewsLongsufferingR

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 17:44 - Aug 31 by derbyhoop

Ooh, I'll call you at half time to find out the final score.
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 11:22 - Sep 1 with 2040 viewsfrancisbowles

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 01:31 - Sep 1 by smegma

China has 1 time zone.

A great story my ex mother in law told. She was on the Trans Siberian Railway in 1974 travelling from east to west. It was her birthday and she celebrated it for 27 hours.

Back in the eighties I was on a flight from Tokyo to Anchorage. So the time change went from +9 to -9. So you had dinner in Tokyo and arrived in Alaska in time for a late breakfast. If it was your birthday the day went on for, I believe, 42 hours.

If it was your birthday going the other way, you lucked out. It lasted about 6 hours during the flight and if you arrived two days after you left.
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 11:52 - Sep 1 with 1996 viewsPinnerPaul

Whatever you do, its the same hours of daylight each day!
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 12:33 - Sep 1 with 1963 viewskensalriser

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 11:52 - Sep 1 by PinnerPaul

Whatever you do, its the same hours of daylight each day!

Well not quite as daylight minutes change every day, unless you're on the equator. What would be the same is the difference.

And I have just found a actual valid meaning for 'same difference'. Hated that expression as a kid when it was used to mean 'it doesn't matter'.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 12:57 - Sep 1 with 1928 viewsHantsR

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 01:31 - Sep 1 by smegma

China has 1 time zone.

I lived and worked in the Republic of Kiribati, which then spanned the International Date Line. The timetabling of the weekly flight to Christmas Island was perverse as you acquired an extra day's work in the week going one way and missed out on one day in the weekend coming back.
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 13:59 - Sep 1 with 1895 viewsPinnerPaul

Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 12:33 - Sep 1 by kensalriser

Well not quite as daylight minutes change every day, unless you're on the equator. What would be the same is the difference.

And I have just found a actual valid meaning for 'same difference'. Hated that expression as a kid when it was used to mean 'it doesn't matter'.

Obviously what I meant was you still only get 7 hours (ish) daylight in December and 15 hours(ish) in June, whether you change the clocks or not!
Coming over here, changing our clocks... on 20:01 - Sep 1 with 1765 viewsGloryHunter

This has always been a real bugbear for me. When the clocks go back in October I find it really depressing. If I'd known that the EU was going to change it I would have voted Remain - oh, hang on, I did.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024