Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US Sports 13:10 - Sep 3 with 7210 viewsGloucs_R

I loosely follow US sports and find the franchise model amazing, in a really weird way.

Only just seen that Las Vegas are taking over the Raiders brand.

Vegas has an ice hockey team...why wouldn't it!

Miami Beckham Utd?? Seriously, why would you put your name on it?

Why does MLS adopt the weird Rugby Union Play off system?

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

US Sports on 00:36 - Sep 11 with 1116 viewstimcocking

US Sports on 23:37 - Sep 3 by TW_R

You just have to look at the revenue some of these college teams make. The Texas Longhorns are making an annual profit of around $100 million a year, just on the football alone. And just like unis in the UK, every college has fee-paying students, grants for research etc.

Colleges are not allowed to pay players. But they secretly do.

As an aside, an American university (forget which) actually came to England to offer my brother a scholarship to go there once. He was the Cornish county champion and British number two at the time, ranked 5 in the world at one stage (i'm talking middle distance athletics). So they obviously spread their nets far and wide.

Ps This reply was meant to be to the chap asking about college money rather than to you...
[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 0:37]
US Sports on 00:38 - Sep 11 with 1114 viewstimcocking

Is it really Miami Beckham United? Surely not?
US Sports on 01:50 - Sep 11 with 1109 viewsVancouverHoop

US Sports on 00:38 - Sep 11 by timcocking

Is it really Miami Beckham United? Surely not?

No, it's gonna be Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami. Or Inter Miami for short
US Sports on 04:18 - Sep 11 with 1092 viewstimcocking

US Sports on 01:50 - Sep 11 by VancouverHoop

No, it's gonna be Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami. Or Inter Miami for short

Thank God for that. With Beckham, i couldn't be sure.
US Sports on 04:38 - Sep 11 with 1087 viewsenfieldargh

US Sports on 12:23 - Sep 10 by robith

I absolutely detest NFL and it's gutting cos everyone seems to love it and I feel left out, but I'd rather do the hoovering tbh

I went to one of the early Wembley games st.loius cardinals v Minnesota vikings.

Only one td and it was boring as hell

But I loved mick luckhurst on the channel 4/5 highlights show.

If you subscribe to nfl app you can watch highlights of every game which is far more palatable than having to watch an entire game.

Re LAChargers watched the highlights of their home game v Kansas City , the away fans must have outnumbered charger fans 2 to 1

Being a Qpr fan I detest the patriots and cowboys but love the browns

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

US Sports on 08:34 - Sep 11 with 1041 viewsEsox_Lucius

I spent around six months working in New Hampshire in a facility owned by Bob Kraft and every day before work began there was a team meeting which inevitably was about 10% work related and the rest was all about the Patriots or the Red Sox. On game days everyone had to wear team related clothing so I now have a decent size collection of Red Sox & Patriots replica clothing LOL. I also worked in Ohio for nearly 18 months and never really took to the Browns or the Bengals but I am still a fan today of the Buckeyes and have a few bits of kit.
I have been watching NFL since the 80's and it's hard to ignore Tom Brady as the GOAT but I would give it to John Elway.

The grass is always greener.

US Sports on 14:29 - Sep 11 with 993 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Admittedly, as an American who has worked in sports media for six years since graduating, I'm much more a football fan now than I am of any American sport except basketball. We cover football but not nearly to the extent that we do the American sports, and I'm still learning about the sport and have a curiosity about it.

To an extent, working in a field that covers basketball and baseball, and ESPECIALLY American football, for 40-50 hours a week has negatively affected how much I enjoy those sports.
US Sports on 14:41 - Sep 11 with 989 viewsBoston

US Sports on 14:29 - Sep 11 by EmpireStateRanger

Admittedly, as an American who has worked in sports media for six years since graduating, I'm much more a football fan now than I am of any American sport except basketball. We cover football but not nearly to the extent that we do the American sports, and I'm still learning about the sport and have a curiosity about it.

To an extent, working in a field that covers basketball and baseball, and ESPECIALLY American football, for 40-50 hours a week has negatively affected how much I enjoy those sports.

All Jets fans say that.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

US Sports on 15:13 - Sep 11 with 964 viewsUruguayanRanger

US Sports on 08:34 - Sep 11 by Esox_Lucius

I spent around six months working in New Hampshire in a facility owned by Bob Kraft and every day before work began there was a team meeting which inevitably was about 10% work related and the rest was all about the Patriots or the Red Sox. On game days everyone had to wear team related clothing so I now have a decent size collection of Red Sox & Patriots replica clothing LOL. I also worked in Ohio for nearly 18 months and never really took to the Browns or the Bengals but I am still a fan today of the Buckeyes and have a few bits of kit.
I have been watching NFL since the 80's and it's hard to ignore Tom Brady as the GOAT but I would give it to John Elway.

Ditto...lived in Columbus for a year and loved watching the Buckeyes.

College ball is far more entertaining as no one knows how to defend.
US Sports on 02:31 - Sep 23 with 809 viewstimcocking

So, how about Baker Mayfield and Cleveland, anybody watch that? Cracking stuff.

Also, given that i was sticking up for Roy Keane saying tough players play through injuries, i liked this speech by Jarvis Landry (the Browns best player, he's a new signing) slating the other players for missing practice with injuries. Jarvis got handed the match ball as their best player apart from Baker after the game and he was injured, just played through it like usual. That's what separates the men from the boys.

“I don’t know what the f– has been going on here and I don’t know why it’s been going on. But if you’re not hurt, like if your hamstring ain’t falling off the f– bone; your leg ain’t broke. Like you should be f– practicing. Straight up. Like that s– is weakness, and that s– is contagious as f–, and that s– ain’t going to be in this room, bro. That s– been here in the past, and that’s why the past has been like it is, bro. That s– is over with here, bro. If you’re going to f– practice, f– practice. You can’t get no better. Ain’t nobody going to get better by being on the f– sideline if you ain’t f– hurt. If you’re not f–hurt, you’ve got to f– practice. Because you make other motherf– work even f– harder. Now they’re at more f– risk of getting hurt, because you don’t want to f– practice, because you’re being a b–. Straight up, man. That s– is f– real, bro. That s– ain’t happening here. I’m just letting y’all know. That s– is not f– happening here. I’m hurt and I’m tired just like every f– body in this room, but I ain’t taking no f– days off, because I can’t be f– great that way. That’s got to be the f– attitude and the mentality all the f– time. All that ‘me’ s– don’t f– live here no more. That s– don’t exist. It’s contagious, bro. Like it’s really f–contagious. It’s contagious.”

You tell 'em Jarvis.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 2:36]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024