Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US Sports 13:10 - Sep 3 with 7288 viewsGloucs_R

I loosely follow US sports and find the franchise model amazing, in a really weird way.

Only just seen that Las Vegas are taking over the Raiders brand.

Vegas has an ice hockey team...why wouldn't it!

Miami Beckham Utd?? Seriously, why would you put your name on it?

Why does MLS adopt the weird Rugby Union Play off system?

Poll: Are we staying up?

US Sports on 23:37 - Sep 3 with 2699 viewsTW_R

US Sports on 18:46 - Sep 3 by ozexile

As the title is US Sports I will change tack slightly if I may. I've been watching Last Chance U on Netflix.
1. Where on earth do those colleges get their Money?

2. From College do they go to Uni and then drafted into the NFL?

Very curious

You just have to look at the revenue some of these college teams make. The Texas Longhorns are making an annual profit of around $100 million a year, just on the football alone. And just like unis in the UK, every college has fee-paying students, grants for research etc.
US Sports on 00:07 - Sep 4 with 2679 viewsVancouverHoop

US Sports on 23:37 - Sep 3 by TW_R

You just have to look at the revenue some of these college teams make. The Texas Longhorns are making an annual profit of around $100 million a year, just on the football alone. And just like unis in the UK, every college has fee-paying students, grants for research etc.

The football coach at many – perhaps most – big US colleges is often the highest paid member of the administration and faculty. A successful football program can be a huge moneymaker that the whole university benefits from.
US Sports on 00:18 - Sep 4 with 2672 viewsVancouverHoop

However, it is East Coast only, not even a World Sport and no one really cares about it. It is their version of Polo elitism.

Not true. Lacrosse is the Canadian national sport and has been played here, literally, probably as long as the continent has been inhabited. As a spectator sport field lacrosse drew thousands in Vancouver, Victoria and New Westminster at the turn of the 19th century. In the 1920s indoor "box lacrosse" was introduced to take advantage of empty hockey arenas in the off-season. Several semi-pro, and one professional, league exists today, and the Mann Cup, played for between the best teams in the East and West, is one of the oldest competitions in Canada.
US Sports on 00:39 - Sep 4 with 2659 viewstimcocking

And they change the effing kits!

I had a soft spot for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because of their ghastly orange jersey which i sort of liked. Then they changed to a colour which doesn't even exist. Some sort of cross between brown and grey i think. It's unpleasant. Ruined it for me.
US Sports on 00:51 - Sep 4 with 2655 viewsLazyFan

US Sports on 00:18 - Sep 4 by VancouverHoop

However, it is East Coast only, not even a World Sport and no one really cares about it. It is their version of Polo elitism.

Not true. Lacrosse is the Canadian national sport and has been played here, literally, probably as long as the continent has been inhabited. As a spectator sport field lacrosse drew thousands in Vancouver, Victoria and New Westminster at the turn of the 19th century. In the 1920s indoor "box lacrosse" was introduced to take advantage of empty hockey arenas in the off-season. Several semi-pro, and one professional, league exists today, and the Mann Cup, played for between the best teams in the East and West, is one of the oldest competitions in Canada.

The font of all knowledge says differently:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacrosse#History
New York, it seems. With Canada appropriating it later on.

Then, of course, the immigrant descendants like Trump took it over. I bet the original native Americans wish they had thought of building a wall to keep his kind out.

Colonial Rebel Scum!

zzzzzzzzzz

US Sports on 01:14 - Sep 4 with 2650 viewsVancouverHoop

I had a soft spot for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because of their ghastly orange jersey which i sort of liked.

Yeah, I miss the "Bucco Bruce" logo especially. The most camp team emblem I've come across.

[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 1:18]
US Sports on 02:23 - Sep 4 with 2633 viewsMatch82

US Sports on 18:46 - Sep 3 by ozexile

As the title is US Sports I will change tack slightly if I may. I've been watching Last Chance U on Netflix.
1. Where on earth do those colleges get their Money?

2. From College do they go to Uni and then drafted into the NFL?

Very curious

So to answer about this program specifically, my understanding is that the types of universities featuring on "Last Chance U" are for kids who have dropped out of their former universities mainly for disciplinary reasons. The features University takes these players and let's them showcase that a. the problems are behind them and b. they have talent which is worthwhile. Legit universities then give them a scholarship for their next year where they can actually graduate and then in some cases get drafted/go to NFL.

For example there's a player who featured in one of the previous seasons who got picked up by a college and then got picked up by Chicago Bears
US Sports on 04:11 - Sep 4 with 2616 viewsade_qpr

US Sports on 16:52 - Sep 3 by isawqpratwcity

It's the way they run the AFL (Aussie Rules) in Oz. It sucks because it is so meaningless in the lack of consequences and the continual re-equalisation of fixtures and draft picks. There isn't even a complete home-and-away fixture list. Franchises are created where they are thought to be financially viable or moved from where they are not. There is no necessity for any organic development of a club and it's culture and the whole competition is as confined and artificial as a herbarium.

Agree with a lot of your comments Isaw. The thing they have done is by putting GC & GWS in is it gives them a game in most states each week and the occasional game in Tasmania and NT so enlarging their TV rights deal. Combine this with the draft and Womens football helps them to dominate the media and have their brand consistently on show, thus also suck up all the sponsorship money available. Unfortunately a bit like the Premier League it's at the expense of all other competitions ie State leagues that they are killing off, only for them to one day own and run for themselves.

As for financially viable only the extra TV money makes them worth keeping. Throw 9 figure sum at them to keep afloat so they get a 10 figure sum back.

Yes they did back at the start of the 20th century run the first past the post but especially now days the money they make in finals and the same for College and pro sports in the US with their playoffs is a massive golden lining to the pockets and what I call World football in most countries are following suit.

It's the main reason they keep increasing the number of countries in the World Cup Finals as TV money talks.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Login to get fewer ads

US Sports on 10:54 - Sep 4 with 2542 viewsDannyPaddox

US Sports on 23:25 - Sep 3 by LazyFan

Problem is Yank sports are crud even as sports.

Yank Football
Stop, Start, Stop, Start. Except for the odd "Bomb" throw or "kick-off fake" there is no flow. And those one-offs are getting even rarer. If you go to a live game it's really boring. The food and drink are what most Yanks really go for as that is what they do most of the time. Bit like our so, called Rugby fans who really just go to Twickers to drink themselves silly.

Yank Hockey
Great game, but the puk is so, small you can barely see it. Especially when the pro's whack it so hard, you only know it's in the net when you hear the delayed 2 sec horn honk. And even then your not sure. As a result unwatchable even in slo-mo on TV!

Yank Basketball
Great game. Until you have watched a few. Then you realise it will be one of two endings. Either one team will win on the last basket and baring a screw up you can tell which team it will be in the last 10 mins. Or one team will be ahead by 10 or more points and it will stay that way for the majority of the game all the way to the end. You might get the odd special moment of skill. But actually most of the time it ends up one of those two ways. Just watch the last 10 mins and the highlights reel and you will have seen 99% of this Sport played out time and again.

Yank Rounders
Baseball is the worst. Really hard to get a run. Most games are a grind you down style of play in the most boring Stoke/Blackburn type way. Round after round of no score is the norm. Babe Ruths are people of fantasy, Moneyball is established now. Learn to sleep through the lot. Worse than test cricket on a bowlers pitch where the Batsman plays safe and knocks it back every time.

NASCAR
Great cars, daring speed, amazing drivers, sexyness all around, going around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and..........................

Don't forget the other classics....
Skate-boarding
BMX racing
Hacky Sack
Snowboarding
Surfing
Roller Derby (no joke)
Dodgeball
Angleball

To be fair Lacrosse is a proper Sport that is great to watch and tough to play. Requires great and awesome skill. However, it is East Coast only, not even a World Sport and no one really cares about it. It is their version of Polo elitism.

All of this shows that despite their decade of hate for our Football, in the end they must with a grimace accept it. As it is better than the tosh they serve up. And Becks knows it and that is why he is out to coin it in.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ya missed one.

YANK WILLIAMS
Write and sing songs about your missus. Drink and self-medicate yourself to an early grave.

US Sports on 19:31 - Sep 5 with 2411 viewsGloucs_R

So Becks has just called his team Inter Miami!

Poll: Are we staying up?

US Sports on 08:57 - Sep 8 with 2301 viewstimcocking

US Sports on 09:02 - Sep 8 with 2300 viewstimcocking

US Sports on 01:14 - Sep 4 by VancouverHoop

I had a soft spot for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because of their ghastly orange jersey which i sort of liked.

Yeah, I miss the "Bucco Bruce" logo especially. The most camp team emblem I've come across.

[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 1:18]

Ha, sweet Jesus thats a beauty. I can probably understand why they'd want they changed to be honest.

Probably should have gone for something more like this...

Damn, can't do it, given up now.

[Post edited 8 Sep 2018 9:06]
US Sports on 09:47 - Sep 8 with 2275 viewsSimonJames

US Sports on 00:18 - Sep 4 by VancouverHoop

I would argue that Ice Hockey is Canada's national sport.
As a young lad in Canada I lived a breathed Ice Hockey.
And in the 2 months of the year when it wasn't winter, I played Baseball or American Football.
But the only time I ever picked up a Lacrosse stick was when me and a mate tried to try catapult rotten crab apples at each other.

100% of people who drink water will die.

US Sports on 13:41 - Sep 8 with 2255 viewsBoston

US Sports on 19:31 - Sep 5 by Gloucs_R

So Becks has just called his team Inter Miami!

Y'ep, there's a sign up at the city line on the I95, 'Intering Miami'.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

US Sports on 16:52 - Sep 8 with 2202 viewsVancouverHoop

US Sports on 09:47 - Sep 8 by SimonJames

I would argue that Ice Hockey is Canada's national sport.
As a young lad in Canada I lived a breathed Ice Hockey.
And in the 2 months of the year when it wasn't winter, I played Baseball or American Football.
But the only time I ever picked up a Lacrosse stick was when me and a mate tried to try catapult rotten crab apples at each other.

It is, and effectively has been for over a hundred years. But until about fifteen years ago lacrosse was the "official" national sport. Hockey was also given that designation then. Silly stuff really.

Lacrosse is still fairly widely played here though, especially in schools and, as I said up-thread, to a semi-pro level. I was chatting to one of the trainers at the gym yesterday, he played to NCAA (college level.) He was on a scholarship to a US college and said his entire division was stuffed with Canadians, mainly because it's excellent way to get your education paid for.
US Sports on 17:53 - Sep 8 with 2190 viewsBoston

US Sports on 16:52 - Sep 8 by VancouverHoop

It is, and effectively has been for over a hundred years. But until about fifteen years ago lacrosse was the "official" national sport. Hockey was also given that designation then. Silly stuff really.

Lacrosse is still fairly widely played here though, especially in schools and, as I said up-thread, to a semi-pro level. I was chatting to one of the trainers at the gym yesterday, he played to NCAA (college level.) He was on a scholarship to a US college and said his entire division was stuffed with Canadians, mainly because it's excellent way to get your education paid for.

Coming over 'ere, taking our lacrosse....

US Sports on 03:31 - Sep 10 with 2111 viewstimcocking

1st week nfl this week, just watching the highlights.

I'm slightly ashamed to admit it, it's like a guilty secret, but i absolutely love watching it. Such a spectacular sport, absolutely brilliant. I really enjoyed watching hard knocks with the browns, anybody watch that? Very interesting to me.
US Sports on 09:59 - Sep 10 with 2042 viewsEsox_Lucius

I watched the red zone coverage on Sky from start to finish last night and it was worth it. The Browns tieing with the Steelers was probably the biggest shock, along with the amount of times big Ben gave the ball up, but that was more down to the weather I think.
The biggest amount of points scored on an opening day game, the emergence of both Tyreek Hill and Patrick Mahomes should give the Chiefs a shot of at least the play offs this season, both great young talents.
Patriots, Panthers & Broncos all winning put me in a good mood but an injury to Greg Olsen put a bit of a damper on the Panthers win. Also, seeing Aaron Rodgers getting injured wasn't a pleasant sight. I'm looking forward to week 2.
On the college scene JK Dobbins RB @ the Buckeyes looks like a future NFL star at 19.

The grass is always greener.

US Sports on 11:31 - Sep 10 with 2009 viewsonlyrinmoray

Jeez it is a slow news week …..Any way, anyone see Shaun someone a big Rs fan, getting presented with a sparkly QPR scarf on Strictly

……. As I said a slow news week... Still Scotland are playing tonight
US Sports on 12:20 - Sep 10 with 1986 viewsrobith

US Sports on 15:03 - Sep 3 by PlanetHonneywood

I’ve a bit of interest for baseball from living out there for a bit. The missus being Canadian has generated a bit more interest in ice hockey. However, this franchise business is a scam.

She’s from Quebec and they had a team there that packed out. For reasons (money) I won’t go into, the Nordiques were sold to Colorado, inflaming the locals ever since. Canadians are nuts for ice hockey. I went to a game in Atlanta when Toronto were in town: utterly heaving with Canucks. The Nordiques fans apparently, pick some crap game each year, buy loads of tickets and storm the glass in Nordiques’ shirts in protest at their plight. They were in the pitch for the place Vegas got and let out supposedly because of concerns about currency fluctuations between the US and Canadian dollars.

It just seems all so hollow. All so American: money first! As a Yank once said to me about Americans, we are, in the main, sports fans first off, team fans second.

As for American Football? I’d rather grout the bathroom.

Reminds me of the Ponty fans in rugby who turn up to Scarlets games and cheer on the oppo and sing Ponty songs
US Sports on 12:23 - Sep 10 with 1983 viewsrobith

I absolutely detest NFL and it's gutting cos everyone seems to love it and I feel left out, but I'd rather do the hoovering tbh
US Sports on 14:24 - Sep 10 with 1954 viewsthame_hoops

US Sports on 09:59 - Sep 10 by Esox_Lucius

I watched the red zone coverage on Sky from start to finish last night and it was worth it. The Browns tieing with the Steelers was probably the biggest shock, along with the amount of times big Ben gave the ball up, but that was more down to the weather I think.
The biggest amount of points scored on an opening day game, the emergence of both Tyreek Hill and Patrick Mahomes should give the Chiefs a shot of at least the play offs this season, both great young talents.
Patriots, Panthers & Broncos all winning put me in a good mood but an injury to Greg Olsen put a bit of a damper on the Panthers win. Also, seeing Aaron Rodgers getting injured wasn't a pleasant sight. I'm looking forward to week 2.
On the college scene JK Dobbins RB @ the Buckeyes looks like a future NFL star at 19.

the browns missing that FG was the most browns thing ever.

Aaron Rodgers is the messiah

The bills were terrible, go Ravens
US Sports on 15:17 - Sep 10 with 1947 viewsBoston

US Sports on 14:24 - Sep 10 by thame_hoops

the browns missing that FG was the most browns thing ever.

Aaron Rodgers is the messiah

The bills were terrible, go Ravens

Best start to the season for the Browns since 2004😀

US Sports on 15:24 - Sep 10 with 1945 viewsBoston

US Sports on 12:23 - Sep 10 by robith

I absolutely detest NFL and it's gutting cos everyone seems to love it and I feel left out, but I'd rather do the hoovering tbh

The hoovering issue is simply resolved by the introduction of Dung Beatles.Feverish and tireless workers.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2018 15:24]

US Sports on 00:32 - Sep 11 with 1863 viewstimcocking

US Sports on 09:59 - Sep 10 by Esox_Lucius

That Browns game, i didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I wonder if Tyreek Hill would be any good down the wing for us?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024