Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US Sports 13:10 - Sep 3 with 7273 viewsGloucs_R

I loosely follow US sports and find the franchise model amazing, in a really weird way.

Only just seen that Las Vegas are taking over the Raiders brand.

Vegas has an ice hockey team...why wouldn't it!

Miami Beckham Utd?? Seriously, why would you put your name on it?

Why does MLS adopt the weird Rugby Union Play off system?

Poll: Are we staying up?

US Sports on 13:40 - Sep 3 with 3401 viewsToast_R

Why does MLS adopt the weird Rugby Union Play off system?
Australia do the same thing which kind makes a mockery of winning a title in my opinion but the short answer is that they're American and they love all that kind of nonsense across all their sport.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 13:42]
US Sports on 13:58 - Sep 3 with 3364 viewsthame_hoops

The Vegas knights made the Stanley cup final and lost to the Capitals, probably the best performance in yr 1 buy any franchise in any US sport

Raiders fell out with Oakland over a new stadium deal, their new vegas one being built looks immense.

you have to feel sorry for supporters when teams move, the chargers recently moved to LA from san diego which didn't make any sense at all, again it was to do with a new stadium and money
US Sports on 14:08 - Sep 3 with 3353 viewsSimonJames

Having played rugby for over 35 years, I would have hated the play off system had our team won a league only to lose the title to the team that finished 4th by virtue of a late-in-the-season purple patch.

But they do know how to fill stadiums, particularly for American Football.

100% of people who drink water will die.

US Sports on 14:15 - Sep 3 with 3343 viewsMatch82

US Sports on 14:08 - Sep 3 by SimonJames

Having played rugby for over 35 years, I would have hated the play off system had our team won a league only to lose the title to the team that finished 4th by virtue of a late-in-the-season purple patch.

But they do know how to fill stadiums, particularly for American Football.

It's just a different mindset. The league, from day one, is about jockeying for position and giving yourself the best chance int he playoffs. They don't care about actual league position itself and that is clear from the outset. It neabs that you are guaranteed an exciting and dramatic finish to every season unlike last year in the premier league for example where Man City had the title wrapped up by Christmas. Took me a while to wrap my head around it but I like that approach now.

At the bottom though, that's another story. The idea that the worst team gets the best "pick" of player the following year is horrible, it incentivizes losing games deliberately and is a disgrace. Most Americans I know look in awe at our relegation system.
US Sports on 14:20 - Sep 3 with 3331 viewsGloucs_R

US Sports on 14:15 - Sep 3 by Match82

It's just a different mindset. The league, from day one, is about jockeying for position and giving yourself the best chance int he playoffs. They don't care about actual league position itself and that is clear from the outset. It neabs that you are guaranteed an exciting and dramatic finish to every season unlike last year in the premier league for example where Man City had the title wrapped up by Christmas. Took me a while to wrap my head around it but I like that approach now.

At the bottom though, that's another story. The idea that the worst team gets the best "pick" of player the following year is horrible, it incentivizes losing games deliberately and is a disgrace. Most Americans I know look in awe at our relegation system.

Does anyone feed into the top MLS leagues or is it only be invitation?

Poll: Are we staying up?

US Sports on 15:03 - Sep 3 with 3278 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I’ve a bit of interest for baseball from living out there for a bit. The missus being Canadian has generated a bit more interest in ice hockey. However, this franchise business is a scam.

She’s from Quebec and they had a team there that packed out. For reasons (money) I won’t go into, the Nordiques were sold to Colorado, inflaming the locals ever since. Canadians are nuts for ice hockey. I went to a game in Atlanta when Toronto were in town: utterly heaving with Canucks. The Nordiques fans apparently, pick some crap game each year, buy loads of tickets and storm the glass in Nordiques’ shirts in protest at their plight. They were in the pitch for the place Vegas got and let out supposedly because of concerns about currency fluctuations between the US and Canadian dollars.

It just seems all so hollow. All so American: money first! As a Yank once said to me about Americans, we are, in the main, sports fans first off, team fans second.

As for American Football? I’d rather grout the bathroom.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

US Sports on 15:37 - Sep 3 with 3232 viewsBoston

US Sports on 15:03 - Sep 3 by PlanetHonneywood

I’ve a bit of interest for baseball from living out there for a bit. The missus being Canadian has generated a bit more interest in ice hockey. However, this franchise business is a scam.

She’s from Quebec and they had a team there that packed out. For reasons (money) I won’t go into, the Nordiques were sold to Colorado, inflaming the locals ever since. Canadians are nuts for ice hockey. I went to a game in Atlanta when Toronto were in town: utterly heaving with Canucks. The Nordiques fans apparently, pick some crap game each year, buy loads of tickets and storm the glass in Nordiques’ shirts in protest at their plight. They were in the pitch for the place Vegas got and let out supposedly because of concerns about currency fluctuations between the US and Canadian dollars.

It just seems all so hollow. All so American: money first! As a Yank once said to me about Americans, we are, in the main, sports fans first off, team fans second.

As for American Football? I’d rather grout the bathroom.

The Nordiques fans are probably stalling their likely return to the NHL. What they actually do is turn up en masse to smaller less well supported clubs and demonstrate that the franchise be removed from that team and returned to Quebec. It's not winning fans around the league and the Islander support despises them for the disruption caused at their arena. In general, most hockey aficionados, myself included, would like to see them back, with the Whalers following close behind, it happened with Winnepeg, who went about making themselves attractive to the NHL with sound business acumen, not the threat of violence. The fan fury should be directed at the Province of Quebec who, at the time, would not re-invest or help in any way with the construction of a new rink, and infrastructure to support the facility. BTW, as you may be aware, this new facility does now exist and the Nordique lobby is in full swing in Toronto.

And money doesn't rule English football!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

US Sports on 16:04 - Sep 3 with 3203 viewsDavieQPR

We put a name on some clubs like Frank Lampards Derby or Steve Gerrards Rangers.
Login to get fewer ads

US Sports on 16:07 - Sep 3 with 3197 viewsisawqpratwcity

I prefer a straight league table title but I was first tipped to the merit of play-offs when Arsenal beat Liverpool for the title after Hillsborough. That was a hell of a finish to the season.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

US Sports on 16:19 - Sep 3 with 3166 viewsMatch82

US Sports on 14:20 - Sep 3 by Gloucs_R

There's no promotion or relegation. But every now and again the league decides ($$$) that they are going to expand and allow more teams in. It's a bit weird.
US Sports on 16:38 - Sep 3 with 3135 viewsSimonJames

I understand the mindset (and the commercial benefits of play offs and a final), and it's probably a good idea in the modern professional game, so that the top players aren't obliged to play every game.
But in my day we wanted to win every game. Otherwise it was hard to get psyched up for the physical battle. And if you're not mentally prepared you either get injured or let your team down.

100% of people who drink water will die.

US Sports on 16:52 - Sep 3 with 3119 viewsisawqpratwcity

US Sports on 16:19 - Sep 3 by Match82

There's no promotion or relegation. But every now and again the league decides ($$$) that they are going to expand and allow more teams in. It's a bit weird.

It's the way they run the AFL (Aussie Rules) in Oz. It sucks because it is so meaningless in the lack of consequences and the continual re-equalisation of fixtures and draft picks. There isn't even a complete home-and-away fixture list. Franchises are created where they are thought to be financially viable or moved from where they are not. There is no necessity for any organic development of a club and it's culture and the whole competition is as confined and artificial as a herbarium.

US Sports on 17:10 - Sep 3 with 3092 viewsBoston

US Sports on 16:52 - Sep 3 by isawqpratwcity

It's the way they run the AFL (Aussie Rules) in Oz. It sucks because it is so meaningless in the lack of consequences and the continual re-equalisation of fixtures and draft picks. There isn't even a complete home-and-away fixture list. Franchises are created where they are thought to be financially viable or moved from where they are not. There is no necessity for any organic development of a club and it's culture and the whole competition is as confined and artificial as a herbarium.

"confined and artificial as a herbarium". That's good stuff you're smoking there mate.

US Sports on 17:36 - Sep 3 with 3059 viewsVancouverHoop

There are pluses and minuses to both systems. I agree with some of the stated drawbacks of the North American system. However, to play devil's advocate for a moment:

Most pro-sports here are more genuinely competitive. Particularly at the highest level you don't get the same two to six clubs dominating their league year after year as you do with European football. The reasons for this is the draft system (which, as noted above, also has disadvantages.) and hard salary caps.

Teams moving cities are much rarer than was once the case. This is is largely because most leagues have some form of profit sharing. Also because it's very bad PR.* Most will bend over backwards to keep a team where it is, viz: the NHL maintaining a team Phoenix in spite of lack of support and poor results.

Re: Canadian teams in the NHL. All players are paid in US dollars. When the Canadian dollar (which accounts for almost all income both at the rink and TV) drops too far it puts significant financial pressure on the ownership. When Les Nordiques and Jets jumped across the border that was the main reason. It's unlikely to happen again due to profit sharing.

*The NFL is an exception, particularly regarding the revolving franchises in California.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 17:37]
US Sports on 17:48 - Sep 3 with 3033 viewsisawqpratwcity

US Sports on 17:10 - Sep 3 by Boston

"confined and artificial as a herbarium". That's good stuff you're smoking there mate.

I'm not smoking anything but would be prepared to accept any 'medicinal' donations.

There's no question that the best players in the nation end up playing AFL unless they have an aversion to money and a preference to remain in the provincial leagues. But a provincial club and an AFL club will never swap places, no matter how good/bad they are. The two newest AFL franchises, GWS Giants and GC Suns, are the spontaneous creative work of faceless bureaucrat administrators, marketers and accountants.

US Sports on 18:08 - Sep 3 with 2997 viewsBoston

US Sports on 14:20 - Sep 3 by Gloucs_R

You / me and a bloke down the street, find a stadium to rent at the local college or an athletic field in a less than salubrious location that needs the business. We beg steal and borrow money for a lobby group, buy Bob Kraft a drink then keep our fingers crossed. Make enough noise and promises of financial return and hopefully you will be invited into the club.

US Sports on 18:33 - Sep 3 with 2958 viewsVancouverHoop

US Sports on 18:08 - Sep 3 by Boston

You / me and a bloke down the street, find a stadium to rent at the local college or an athletic field in a less than salubrious location that needs the business. We beg steal and borrow money for a lobby group, buy Bob Kraft a drink then keep our fingers crossed. Make enough noise and promises of financial return and hopefully you will be invited into the club.

Pretty sure you'll have to buy Don Garber a pint or two as well.
US Sports on 18:46 - Sep 3 with 2935 viewsozexile

As the title is US Sports I will change tack slightly if I may. I've been watching Last Chance U on Netflix.
1. Where on earth do those colleges get their Money?

2. From College do they go to Uni and then drafted into the NFL?

Very curious
US Sports on 18:53 - Sep 3 with 2924 viewssmegma

Not sure if it's still true, but reading My Turn (Johann Cryuff s autobiography) he claimed that when he worked in the US in the late 70s early 80s, the American team was picked from literally every team to appease ALL franchises.

(his words as the use of the F word makes me feel sick)
US Sports on 19:08 - Sep 3 with 2910 viewsVancouverHoop

US Sports on 18:46 - Sep 3 by ozexile

As the title is US Sports I will change tack slightly if I may. I've been watching Last Chance U on Netflix.

Very curious

1) Mainly alumni. There's a massive connection maintained between ex-students and their university. Donations are tax deductible and they get primo-benefits (seating, etc.). Secondly TV. College sports, especially football, is hugely popular. Also attendances. It's not unusual to draw 50 — 70,000 fans to the big games

2) College and Uni are synonymous in North America. You don't have to go to college to get drafted. A few players are drafted right out of high school, but it's relatively uncommon. Most sports have an age limit, usually eighteen. MLS doesn't, which is how Alphonso Davies was playing for the Whitecaps at 15.
US Sports on 19:15 - Sep 3 with 2904 viewsVancouverHoop

US Sports on 18:53 - Sep 3 by smegma

Not sure if it's still true, but reading My Turn (Johann Cryuff s autobiography) he claimed that when he worked in the US in the late 70s early 80s, the American team was picked from literally every team to appease ALL franchises.

(his words as the use of the F word makes me feel sick)

Is no longer true and hasn't been for decades. Cruyff, Pele, Best etc were playing in the NASL which went bust in the mid-80s. MLS was set up very specifically to avoid making the same mistakes. That's why, for example, all players' contracts are with the league, not the team. It avoids owners with more money than sense over-extending themselves (which we know could never happen at our club...right?)
US Sports on 19:29 - Sep 3 with 2891 viewsstevec

That last paragraph might explain TFs misguided policy of the last three years, the silly arse read the wrong set of rules.
US Sports on 21:44 - Sep 3 with 2790 viewsDorse

US Sports on 16:04 - Sep 3 by DavieQPR

We put a name on some clubs like Frank Lampards Derby or Steve Gerrards Rangers.

And, of course, the Chelsea Cunce.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

US Sports on 22:50 - Sep 3 with 2723 viewsBoston

US Sports on 18:46 - Sep 3 by ozexile

Very curious

As mentioned and, much to the chagrin of those who may be described as elitist in some circles, it's overwhelmingly donations from the sports people. The athletic alumni are the big donators and I mean big, whatever feeling of camaraderie they experience when students, leads them to give back in astounding sums throughout their lives....and even deaths.

Myself, I'm a regular donator to my two girls choice of secondary education, It's a small liberal arts college with approximately 2000 in the student body, provides a hell of an education and I'm delighted to be able to extend the chance for others to enroll who may find it difficult otherwise. Many feel like me as the current endowment is around USD 200 million.

The elephant in the room is Harvard, their endowment is somewhere in the region of 38 / 40 billion ( more than the GDP of most of the worlds countries). A very good friend of mine is what we describe as the 'Construction Super' of the John Paulson Engineering School, currently being built for Harvard. Paulson gave USD 400 million for this venture.

Edit...I should mention I give nothing to my sons old school. They are a bunch of cnts.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 23:23]

US Sports on 23:25 - Sep 3 with 2692 viewsLazyFan

Problem is Yank sports are crud even as sports.

Yank Football
Stop, Start, Stop, Start. Except for the odd "Bomb" throw or "kick-off fake" there is no flow. And those one-offs are getting even rarer. If you go to a live game it's really boring. The food and drink are what most Yanks really go for as that is what they do most of the time. Bit like our so, called Rugby fans who really just go to Twickers to drink themselves silly.

Yank Hockey
Great game, but the puk is so, small you can barely see it. Especially when the pro's whack it so hard, you only know it's in the net when you hear the delayed 2 sec horn honk. And even then your not sure. As a result unwatchable even in slo-mo on TV!

Yank Basketball
Great game. Until you have watched a few. Then you realise it will be one of two endings. Either one team will win on the last basket and baring a screw up you can tell which team it will be in the last 10 mins. Or one team will be ahead by 10 or more points and it will stay that way for the majority of the game all the way to the end. You might get the odd special moment of skill. But actually most of the time it ends up one of those two ways. Just watch the last 10 mins and the highlights reel and you will have seen 99% of this Sport played out time and again.

Yank Rounders
Baseball is the worst. Really hard to get a run. Most games are a grind you down style of play in the most boring Stoke/Blackburn type way. Round after round of no score is the norm. Babe Ruths are people of fantasy, Moneyball is established now. Learn to sleep through the lot. Worse than test cricket on a bowlers pitch where the Batsman plays safe and knocks it back every time.

NASCAR
Great cars, daring speed, amazing drivers, sexyness all around, going around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and..........................

Don't forget the other classics....
Skate-boarding
BMX racing
Hacky Sack
Snowboarding
Surfing
Roller Derby (no joke)
Dodgeball
Angleball

To be fair Lacrosse is a proper Sport that is great to watch and tough to play. Requires great and awesome skill. However, it is East Coast only, not even a World Sport and no one really cares about it. It is their version of Polo elitism.

All of this shows that despite their decade of hate for our Football, in the end they must with a grimace accept it. As it is better than the tosh they serve up. And Becks knows it and that is why he is out to coin it in.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024