Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doughty in the Guardian 12:50 - Sep 13 with 4485 viewssimmo

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/13/swindon-michael-doughty-son-nig

He wouldn't last at Dyche's Burnley!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Doughty in the Guardian on 12:58 - Sep 13 with 4451 viewsisawqpratwcity

A decent read.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Doughty in the Guardian on 13:11 - Sep 13 with 4419 viewsTGRRRSSS

Makes me laugh when many (including the sage that's meant to be Ferguson) trot out the line "Only the poor make it cos they're hungrier"

Then there's a huge query in Olympic Sports and others that are full of kids from private schools.

Take for example the rower bloke CRacknell, and all the things he's done, albeit it from Private School.

In Soccernomics the authors suggests this type of prejudice - which it would be in any other guise has hinders football in this country.
Doughty in the Guardian on 13:38 - Sep 13 with 4327 viewssmegma

Doughty in the Guardian on 12:58 - Sep 13 by isawqpratwcity

A decent read.

A decent read and comes across as a decent bloke.

As for people from that type of background not having the hunger, Frank Lampard was educated at private school and he didn't have any hunger or success did he ??
Doughty in the Guardian on 13:58 - Sep 13 with 4269 viewstoboboly

Doughty in the Guardian on 13:38 - Sep 13 by smegma

As for people from that type of background not having the hunger, Frank Lampard was educated at private school and he didn't have any hunger or success did he ??

Will Hughes went to public school as well I think.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Doughty in the Guardian on 13:59 - Sep 13 with 4264 viewsJigsore

Doughty in the Guardian on 13:38 - Sep 13 by smegma

oh he had plenty of hunger

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Doughty in the Guardian on 15:14 - Sep 13 with 4114 viewsRBlock

Meh. Don't doubt he's a nice guy, but found the whole interview rather anodyne to be honest. Recent interview with Santi Carzola was a much better read.
Doughty in the Guardian on 22:25 - Sep 13 with 3653 viewsderbyhoop

Comes across well. Comfortable background and good education aren't a barrier to a career in football. He's had to accept a level below where he hoped to be. But its hard to begrudge him as he still head the same commitment.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Doughty in the Guardian on 01:31 - Sep 14 with 3524 viewstimcocking

Doughty in the Guardian on 13:11 - Sep 13 by TGRRRSSS

Makes me laugh when many (including the sage that's meant to be Ferguson) trot out the line "Only the poor make it cos they're hungrier"

Then there's a huge query in Olympic Sports and others that are full of kids from private schools.

Take for example the rower bloke CRacknell, and all the things he's done, albeit it from Private School.

In Soccernomics the authors suggests this type of prejudice - which it would be in any other guise has hinders football in this country.

Hmmm. Change it to "the poor are more likely to be better motivated because they are hungrier" and it's clearly a fundamental truth. You only have to see how well the likes of the second generation Indians are doing for themselves. They've gone from corner shop owners to doctors through hard graft.

The kids from private schools have been coached sport by professional athletes all their lives. You're not likely to be in the olympic swim team or equestrian team if you're from a council house. Children from my daughter's school excel in golf, tennis, swimming, cycling etc.; my school never did any of this stuff. And they tend who have ambitious parents trying to push them if they show a talent. And equip them well. They've often got better genes as well. And professional coaches. We had fat Mr Rogers in my school; hardly a level playing field. They have an astroturf pitch.

Without wishing to sound like a tw@t again, having been somebody who was hungry and homeless a few times in my life, it's a cast iron certainty you grow up tougher because of it and with more fight. Affluent, self-entitled children no way have the same drive at a young age typically speaking. No chance whatsoever. People who've never been hungry will never be able to understand that. It's like talking to somebody who doesn't have children; they just don't realise what it does.

My Dad pushed my two oldest brothers into Athletics because we were good athletes and it seemed a way to try to escape the misery. The poorest kids in the athletics club slaughtering everybody, every week, both county champion. They were running for food, not for fun. They had to get up at 3am before school to help my Dad work, go to school after work, come home from school and go running. If you don't think that made them tough, i'll tell you now, it did. My brother's school record for the 1500m as an eleven year old beats the school record for the 16 year olds and will never be beaten. He lapped everybody. Even if we played cards or trivial pursuit in my house, it was basically a fight to the death every time. None of my friends had anything like this.

I can remember a period where i was working from 3am until 1 am if i count the travelling time, 22 hour shifts 7 days a week without pay. That was probably 18 hours physical graft on my feet. You think Micheal Doughty could do that? Not a chance. Nobody could unless their life depended on it.

Of course, you must only look at Cracknell to see it obviously doesn't mean posh kids can't be fighters as well, but they're the exception.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2018 2:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Doughty in the Guardian on 01:33 - Sep 14 with 3522 viewstimcocking

Let's not forget, the reason Doughty left us was because when we gave him opportunities, he didn't have the hunger. Ambled around in second gear. Never sprinted for QPR.
Doughty in the Guardian on 03:01 - Sep 14 with 3484 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

'In October 2011, with Forest struggling in the Championship and supporter unrest growing, he (Nigel) announced he was standing down as chairman following what he described as a “very poor decision” to appoint Steve McClaren as manager'

Awkward.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2018 3:02]
Doughty in the Guardian on 12:50 - Sep 14 with 3222 viewsderbyhoop

At one time my brother was Youth Development Officer at Wycombe. He was looking for a CB for their U18s and came to watch Derby Schools U16 vs Northumberland. Derby Schools included 2 CBs that had just been released by Derby County.
After 5 minutes he turned and said about the 2 Derby CBs "he goes to a good school and he goes to a rough one". Looked in the programme and he was spot on.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Doughty in the Guardian on 14:10 - Sep 14 with 3092 viewssimmo

Doughty in the Guardian on 01:33 - Sep 14 by timcocking

Let's not forget, the reason Doughty left us was because when we gave him opportunities, he didn't have the hunger. Ambled around in second gear. Never sprinted for QPR.

I generally agree that those from poorer backgrounds are naturally hungrier and those that are privileged but work as hard are more of an exception (with that exception applying to both sides) - but this example doesn't stand up.

There are plenty of people that haven't 'run about enough' at QPR and it has nothing to do with their background - in fact most of those type of characters would be at the opposite end of the social spectrum to Doughty.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Doughty in the Guardian on 15:06 - Sep 14 with 3021 viewsrobith

Doughty in the Guardian on 13:11 - Sep 13 by TGRRRSSS

Goes both ways though doesn't it? The guys from public school I met through rugby at uni had literally never played a game of football because their schools didn't do it, as it was looked down on as a "povvo sport"

And why would they go into football with all its risks, when their privilege near automatically guarantees them a top 1% income in finance/law/medicine? Don't think it's as straight forward as every hates rich people myself.
Doughty in the Guardian on 15:07 - Sep 14 with 3016 viewsrobith

Doughty in the Guardian on 01:33 - Sep 14 by timcocking

I don't think that's fair - he just wasn't fast enough, but I wouldn't call him lazy
Doughty in the Guardian on 16:02 - Sep 14 with 2949 viewsNorthernr

Doughty ran plenty, he just wasn't very quick. Not quite good enough for the Championship but a dedicated pro who worked hard to forge the career he has.
Doughty in the Guardian on 16:56 - Sep 14 with 2872 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Graeme Le Saux and Luca Vialli were both extremely privileged and both worked hard and had talent.

Vialli descended from ancient Italian royalty or something.

Hunger or not isn’t a class or wealth thing, but I know if Doughty failed as a footballer he wouldn’t have too many worries in life.

Can’t say the same thing for someone like Raheem Sterling.

For what it’s worth I though he did alright and had a great attitude but had the mobility of a Piano. I think he lasted as long as he did and got the extra chances because of his attitude.
Doughty in the Guardian on 17:42 - Sep 14 with 2813 viewsNorthernr

Doughty in the Guardian on 16:56 - Sep 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Graeme Le Saux and Luca Vialli were both extremely privileged and both worked hard and had talent.

Vialli descended from ancient Italian royalty or something.

Hunger or not isn’t a class or wealth thing, but I know if Doughty failed as a footballer he wouldn’t have too many worries in life.

Can’t say the same thing for someone like Raheem Sterling.

For what it’s worth I though he did alright and had a great attitude but had the mobility of a Piano. I think he lasted as long as he did and got the extra chances because of his attitude.

Make you right on both counts. Mobility big issue, attitude spot on. Surprised it didn't work for him at Peterborough TBH. League One his level.

Still think he should have played more when we were trying to bleed the last drops of life out of Karl Henry.

There are a few players, him being one, Petrasso being two, that I think we kept around too long because it was bad PR to be bombing out kids, and they sort of might of perhaps made it at some point, so we kept them on for years.
Doughty in the Guardian on 18:35 - Sep 14 with 2773 viewsBklynRanger

Very topical considering our new paaaaatnership with Eton (has anyone checked it's not actually with Luton?).

Tim you've obviously got a strong view on this based on personal experience so I wouldn't be daft enough to try to talk you out of it, but I do see two sides to this. There are obviously cases where hunger is the key factor, but I also have found that there are cases where having very successful parents carries with it expectations and, more positively, an example of how hard you often need to work for things.

I've known and lived with people like that - father was a successful lawyer, son works his arse off (for better or worse) to live up to those ideals, habits etc etc. And there are examples all over many of our workplaces - mine certainly - I refer to them as killer robots but that's my own issues...

I could write more but I'm a lazy kunt...
Goes both ways is all I'm saying.

Best of luck to Doughty - can't have been easy losing his dad like that apart from anything else.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2018 18:36]
Doughty in the Guardian on 18:54 - Sep 14 with 2744 viewsLazyFan

Isn't our Matt Smith posh?
He went to Grammer school and a top one at that.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

Doughty in the Guardian on 19:14 - Sep 14 with 2734 viewsBucksRanger

Doughty in the Guardian on 18:54 - Sep 14 by LazyFan

Grammar Police here.

I feel guilty already.
Doughty in the Guardian on 19:51 - Sep 14 with 2710 viewssmegma

Doughty in the Guardian on 18:54 - Sep 14 by LazyFan

I went to Grammar School but I'm not posh. I am a bonafide lazy khunt though.
Doughty in the Guardian on 22:31 - Sep 14 with 2609 viewsBklynRanger

Doughty in the Guardian on 19:51 - Sep 14 by smegma

I indeed also had that experience Smeg. Very enjoyable it was too. I would never blame my schooling - they did their best. :)
Doughty in the Guardian on 22:38 - Sep 14 with 2603 viewsNorthernr

I wish I'd gone to a grammar school.

Or any school that wasn't my evil, you're all the same, exam factory, often on fire, underfunded, disgusting northern secondary school that, literally, beat the last vestiges of hope and optimism out of me.
Doughty in the Guardian on 08:17 - Sep 15 with 2486 viewsQPR_Jim

Doughty in the Guardian on 19:51 - Sep 14 by smegma

Which public school did jay emmanuel thomas go to then, must have been good because he must top the list of lazy / entitled sods!

Edit: Replied to wrong post.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2018 12:56]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024