Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ademola Bankole 16:24 - Sep 13 with 7854 viewsDando

Stands out for me, as the worst and dodgiest goalkeeper I remember I've seen at Loftus Road. Just read he is working for the club? :O When did that happen?

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/16858377.colchester-united-goalkeeper-dillon

Ademola Bankole on 18:18 - Sep 14 with 1937 viewsLowerloftLad

I do remember This keeper I must have only been 7 or 8 but I still remember him as a terrible keeper was unaware he only played the once

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Ademola Bankole on 18:23 - Sep 14 with 1928 viewsdaveB

Stejskal one of the best keepers i've seen at QPR, he was really good for us
Ademola Bankole on 20:02 - Sep 14 with 1898 viewssmegma

Ademola Bankole on 19:33 - Sep 13 by paulparker

I think his debut was against tranmere? Where he managed to knock out Maddix when he missed when trying to punch the ball
I was also there for Nicky johns in 87 now he was terrible ,

Not only was it his league debut it was his only league appearance. He did make a first team appearance in a preseason friendly 3 months before at home to Sheffield Wednesday. And I can hold my hand on my heart and say it was THE worse goalkeeping performance for our first team I have ever witnessed in 45 years. It was if he had walked through the turnstile and won the raffle to play in the team that night. Shockingly bad is an understatement.
Ademola Bankole on 22:32 - Sep 14 with 1824 viewsNorthernr

Never forget the unmitigated terror of Bankole's 25 minutes of first team football against Tranmere, which included him ironing Maddix out in the first 60 seconds. Harper had tried to play on for some time on one leg and once Bankole came on you realised why they were so keen not to make the change.

There used to be an excellent website online around that time called Boardroom Blues which basically dedicated itself to holding Chris Wright, Nick Blackburn and David Davies to account. Julia, who did a lot of it, used to post on one of the former iterations of this website and was brilliant. They/she and Dave Thomas did an amazing interview with Nick Blackburn for AKUTRs about how it all went to sht, exerts of which I've used in articles on here in the past. Sadly the whole thing is probably now only available in print in an old AKUTR's issue if you can find it. But the passages about Bankole were amongst a larger chapter on how, basically, Clive Berlin was on the take and Ray Harford was working with him and a favoured agent.......

Quoting Nick Blackburn...

”Ray Harford wanted to come. Ray was West Brom manager. They were second in the table. There was huge uproar there, and they didn’t want him to go at all. I remember fanzines saying this is the best appointment you could have made. None of the fans criticised it and it turned out to be the worst appointment we could have made. Disastrous. Yet he was very successful at West Brom.

“I think he took the job for the wrong reasons. I think he wanted to come back to London. I think he was lazy. He worked through Clive Berlin and not with the Board. And for transfers, they seemed to use just one agent. Barry Silkman. And this agent brought Heinola, Kulcsar, and Scully to the club. Apart from those, we also took Mark Kennedy on loan, which was good. He helped keep us up.

“Clive Berlin rang me up and said: ‘Nick, we want to sign this goalkeeper, Bankole.’ I said: ‘I’ve never heard of him.’ He said: ‘He’s at Crewe, in the reserves.’ I said: ‘Who’s the agent?’ Clive said: ‘Barry Silkman.’ I said: ‘What’s the deal?’ He told me Bankole’s salary, which wasn’t a lot. But he told me we had to give the agent some money. I can’t remember the reason why, but there was some reason. I told him I’d have to speak to Chris Wright. When I spoke to Chris, he asked me what I thought, and I told him I hadn’t heard of this goalkeeper, but they say he’s okay. So I rang up Ray Harford to ask him why they wanted to sign him, and he said, ‘Don’t worry, me and Clive will deal with this one’, and they signed him.

“About four of five months later, I was at a game at West Ham, funnily enough, and Glenn Roeder was sitting next to me in the directors box, long before he became manager there. He said to me: ‘I’m surprised you signed that Bankole.’ I said: ‘I’m fcking surprised too now I’ve seen him play!’ Glenn then said that when he was assistant manager at Burnley with Chris Waddle, Ray Harford had called him and said Barry Silkman was bending his ear about Bankole. He asked Glenn to have a look at him in his reserve match against Crewe and tell him what he thought. He said the score was something like 5-4, so Glenn told Ray Harford not to touch him with a bargepole. I don’t think Ray had personally ever seen him play.

“The other thing that I found out about Ray, which worried me, was that we were on a pre-season tour of Ireland and he came back from the tour a day early to go horse racing at Epsom. I rang up Ray Harford to see how things were going on tour. He wasn’t there. He didn’t clear it with the Board or anything. You don’t come back early as the manager from a pre-season tour to go horse racing. So you get the feeling that something is wrong.”
Ademola Bankole on 22:42 - Sep 14 with 1813 viewsToast_R

In 20 years nothing much has changed.
Ademola Bankole on 22:44 - Sep 14 with 1811 viewsjohncharles

Ademola Bankole on 18:23 - Sep 14 by daveB

Stejskal one of the best keepers i've seen at QPR, he was really good for us

quite right. I don't know what the fck some people on here are talking about

Strong and stable my arse.

Ademola Bankole on 08:14 - Sep 15 with 1749 viewsNorthernr

Stejskal was great. Keller was the one we should have bought with the Ferdinand money but went for Sommer instead. Roberts was a fcking liability. Green had a great season for us in the promotion year but was toilet before that and absolutely frightening afterwards.
Ademola Bankole on 09:12 - Sep 15 with 1729 viewsCiderwithRsie

I don't think I've ever seen the whole of that Nick Blackburn interview but every time I see excerpts of it my eyebrows shoot up.

I give him some credit for honesty.
Login to get fewer ads

Ademola Bankole on 09:14 - Sep 15 with 1728 viewsCiderwithRsie

I never liked Harford and couldn't understand why Wright was so keen on him, I thought his record was pretty patchy overall before he came here. I did at least assume he was an honest pro but more fool me.
Ademola Bankole on 09:38 - Sep 15 with 1707 viewsozexile

Fraser Digby was alright. He pulled off the best save I've ever seen live away to Notts county.
Ademola Bankole on 09:43 - Sep 15 with 1704 viewsDorse

Bankole - isn't that a synonym for Santander?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024