Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stan update 19:15 - Sep 20 with 2524 viewsflynnbo

I had a long chat before the game last night with Marilyn who was the head of the Stan Bowles' fan club back in the seventies and she updated me on our beloved Stan. She informed me that he is very, very poorly. and that it has really affected Don Shanks badly who, I believe, is taking part in a fund raising event for Stan. She ended by saying that it would be an achievement if he gets past Christmas. Here's hoping she is wrong on that last point but it's a timely reminder that we should all cherish our loved ones when we can and remember the golden moments he gave us. She did give me more detailed personal information but I don't think that it would be appropriate to share it on a public forum without the family's wishes.
Stan update on 19:32 - Sep 20 with 2448 viewsLblock

Gutted to read this

A picture I saw of Stan during the World Cup was quite worrying, he looked terribly frail.

Dig in Stan, dig in my old son

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Stan update on 19:47 - Sep 20 with 2392 views2Thomas2Bowles

Marilyn I remember her well from back then.

I knew Stan and Don personly back then, very sad

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Stan update on 20:06 - Sep 20 with 2327 viewsted_hendrix

Thanks Flynnbo,

Last time I saw Stan he was stood at the bar with a couple of mates with a pint in his hand in the General Smuts, it cost me a pint to get him to sign my framed painting of him.

Privileged to see the bloke play many-many times for us back in the day, only he could make you think how the hell did he do that? when he was playing as he skinned some poor unsuspecting defender.

I guess the only thing we can hope for is his time with us is made as comfortable as is humanly possible.

Good luck Stan, good luck.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Stan update on 20:29 - Sep 20 with 2254 viewsMonahoop

Really sad news this. But with a cruel condition like Stan has it all makes for a pitiful end.
Stan was and still is my footballing hero. I still like to think he was as talented and gifted as many of todays pampered, over payed, over hyped charlatans. Not only was a great player, but he was a character too, something totally amiss from players of todays sterile, sanitized, franchised game of today.

You keep on roasting those opposition defences Stan for ever more.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Stan update on 20:36 - Sep 20 with 2226 viewsbosh67

God bless Stan. Legend.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Stan update on 20:41 - Sep 20 with 2200 viewspaulparker

What short life we lead sometimes and how fast it goes , one minute your young , have birds on the go , drinking pints having a laugh with your mates the life and soul of the party and just full of life itself the next your health can turn in a heart beat , for someone as charismatic as Stan this disease is a barsteward , I will always remember coming out of the springbok against Leicester ( promotion year) and bumping into the man himself looking dapper in a crombie , I was speechless but got the nerve to ask for a photo and of course the man oblinged and seemed dead embarrassed when I called him the greatest footballer that ever lived ,
I just hope that the great man is comfortable and pain free and that he gets through this

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Stan update on 20:41 - Sep 20 with 2198 viewscolinallcars

I dread hearing that word “poorly” I remember nurses saying that about my old mum and dad. Recently they said that about Ray Wilkins.
Stan update on 23:07 - Sep 20 with 1993 viewskropotkin41

No, listen, seriously now. The man has Alzheimer's and is doubtless barely even Stan Bowles any more. I wouldn't wish a longer life on anyone in that condition.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Login to get fewer ads

Stan update on 00:18 - Sep 21 with 1927 viewssmegma

The latest photo of Stan with Don Shanks told a story.
Stan update on 00:42 - Sep 21 with 1910 viewstimcocking

To depressing to think about. Doesn't really get much worse than alzheimers. I wouldn't want to put my family through that sort of pain. God Bless anybody dealing with anything that bad.
Stan update on 08:13 - Sep 21 with 1799 viewscaliforniahoop

Stan update on 00:42 - Sep 21 by timcocking

To depressing to think about. Doesn't really get much worse than alzheimers. I wouldn't want to put my family through that sort of pain. God Bless anybody dealing with anything that bad.

He is the reason I am a hoop today, majestic player and always had time for fans in his pomp, you don’t have friends like Don Shanks if you are not a good person.💪🏿✊🏿
Stan update on 08:40 - Sep 21 with 1727 viewsRs_Holy

They should make a film/TV series about Stan (and give all the proceeds to him).... they simply don't make 'em like him anymore!... Very sad news indeed :(
Stan update on 10:18 - Sep 21 with 1590 viewsStanisgod

I've lost a father in law, mother in law and brother in law who was diagnosed at 52 with it. F#cker of a disease and at last its being brought forward lately.
Having watched three close people slowly disappear with it, as someone has said, you don't really want him to suffer. I've got tears just writing this and I'm 63.
God as far as I'm concerned.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Stan update on 10:34 - Sep 21 with 1549 viewsBostonR

For me, simply the greatest player that ever played for us.

Was unplayable in the 75/76 season and should have won the PFA player of the year. Also worth remembering he held the UK goal-scoring record in European football until Ian Rush took it away from him.

A legend!
Stan update on 11:55 - Sep 21 with 1451 viewsWren67

Stan update on 10:18 - Sep 21 by Stanisgod

I've lost a father in law, mother in law and brother in law who was diagnosed at 52 with it. F#cker of a disease and at last its being brought forward lately.
Having watched three close people slowly disappear with it, as someone has said, you don't really want him to suffer. I've got tears just writing this and I'm 63.
God as far as I'm concerned.

Stan remains my favourite player to wear the QPR hoops. I have very fond memories of him and the way he cuddled the ball with his feet as he danced around defenders. When I saw him at QPR on his special day he still seemed very alert but I know that dementia can be devastating, debilitating and cruel, particularly for those who know and care for the patient.

My own wife was diagnosed at 58 with early on-set of Alzheimers and in these last 10 years she has gradually lost her personality. The vibrant, fun loving woman has gone and yesterday when I visited her she did not answer to her name. This was a traumatic step change which heralds the loss of another part of her being, but this makes me value the time went spent together and enjoy the life I have now. Remarkably, she still dances to music !
Stan update on 13:58 - Sep 21 with 1304 viewsToast_R

Very sad to hear. A Terrible disease to have to go through and for everyone to witness.
In my line of work, we have to be aware of the symptoms of people with it. We took an interesting course a few months ago where the person taught us some facts and reasons why people with it, act the way they do.

As we live the brain stores memories lots of them. If you imagine the our brain memory storage system is much like a book shelf. Oldest memories at the bottom working their way along with most recent ones being a the top. When Alzheimer's hits it's like the book shelf is being rocked and and it's the books at the top of the shelf which will fall first with the older memories stored nearer the bottom lasting longest. Obviously as the disease becomes more violent, more and more memories fall.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024