Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Long Live The Local - cut the beer tax! 08:38 - Sep 21 with 1814 viewsTheChef

Sorry if Spackman but I just came across this great campaign on my FB feed:

https://www.longlivethelocal.pub/

You can sign the petition, and once you've done that it very cleverly creates an email to send to your local MP, all you do is click 'send'.

You only have to look at the state of boozers round Shepherds Bush and how many of our favourites have closed down in recent years - so, save our pubs!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Long Live The Local - cut the beer tax! on 09:55 - Sep 21 with 1752 viewsToast_R

I reckon it has more to do with other factors than just beer tax.

I just about go once a month and yes it’s ridiculously expensive. Your doing £50 just on drinks and you just think, if I skipped that night out, I’d be quid’s in and how much booze could you buy in the supermarket for that?

It’s ironic really, the pub is no longer affordable for the average working man who were exactly the consumers they were built to serve. I think culture has a lot to do with it. You take the urban local for example, Council estates predominantly built for the British working class and each had a pub specifically built for their community. Over the last 40 years that community has changed drastically culturally. Now it’s not exclusive to an estate, whole towns have changed to the point now where the main hub of a town centre only has enough customers for one or two pubs at a stretch because the majority of the population are not interested in using them. Less customers mean an increase in prices to cover the over heads of the pub and of course, the ones that survive have no competition so can charge accordingly.
Long Live The Local - cut the beer tax! on 11:10 - Sep 21 with 1713 viewsMetallica_Hoop

A lot of the more trendy type ones don't seem to want tall, long haired drunks in them either.

'I'm not serving you, your pupils are dilated... bla bla bla etc'

Mustachioed small man syndrome.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Long Live The Local - cut the beer tax! on 14:31 - Sep 21 with 1638 viewsplasmahoop

I think you are right that there are any factors other than beer tax, but price is an important factor and the tax ramps that up. When I moved where I live 18 years ago, a pint in the pub on the corner was 1 90, and at the shop lager was 6 cans for a fiver for good stuff, 8 for 5 for weak. Now it's nearly four quid a pint, some pints more but the shop is still a pound a can and the supermarkets way less. There should be far more imagination with tax to help pubs out. It's not good for people never being able to afford to go out
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 14:33]
Long Live The Local - cut the beer tax! on 17:57 - Sep 21 with 1568 viewsCiderwithRsie

"Between business rates, VAT and beer tax..."

It's the business rates - and rents - that are the real problem - if it was the beer tax then you'd find supermarkets getting out of beer sales and they clearly aren't. Sort out business rates and rents and you'd have fewer empty shops as well as more pubs.

Worst offenders on rents are often pension funds which is a bit awkward for any of us paying into a pension.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024