Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oi Terence in Ipswich 13:11 - Oct 3 with 1688 viewsBoston

...haven’t been to Portman Rd since that night of mild excitement and giddy frivolity thirty something years ago. Bowing to your knowledge of the locality, what easy walking to the stadium hostelries do you recommend? Decent bogs a big plus.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 13:17]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Oi Terence in Ipswich on 19:24 - Oct 3 with 1554 viewsDavieQPR

Smack bang outside the station.
Oi Terence in Ipswich on 19:53 - Oct 3 with 1505 viewsNorthernr

If they don’t get that first win on Saturday is there really any point in any of us going?
Oi Terence in Ipswich on 10:39 - Oct 4 with 1251 viewsterryb

Oi Terence in Ipswich on 19:53 - Oct 3 by Northernr

If they don’t get that first win on Saturday is there really any point in any of us going?

I have to admit to having an awful feeling about the game!

Especially as I think Roller& Beth (administrator on not606) are joining me for this!
Oi Terence in Ipswich on 10:51 - Oct 4 with 1238 viewsterryb

I wrote this a couple of years ago Boston. Hope it is of help.

----------------------------------------------------------
Now this depends what you mean by a good pub!

Like pubs in Shephards Bush, all the town centre pubs are forced to prohibit away fans. There are ways round this of course, but not one of them would be on my list of recommendations.

Walk along the river front (turning right from the station) & you will come across Issacs. There own brew is on sale here if you like Trads (Briarbank) as well as some Adnams (Ghostship is good). Food is very much pub grub, but there is also a cafe attached to the pub. It is expensive by Ipswich standards but a lot cheaper than London prices!

The far side of the town centre are a couple of real ale favourites. The Fat Cat (Spring Road & too far away for me to walk!) & The Dove (St Helens St). I don't know food wise at the Cat but the Dove is very basic & probably not what a wife would want . Allow for up to 30 minutes walk to the ground.

A bit nearer is the Spread Eagle (corner of Eagle St & Fore St). Since last year this has been refurbished & is run by a local brewery from Norwich (Grain) who rent the pub. Food is just sausage rolls or cheese platter (both very good) & beeer wise Redwood is my normal selection.

Lager wise I have no idea what is good anywhere in the UK!

I'm sure Stowmarket & others could add further advise, but I hope this helps.
Added to this is the Station Hotel which is the dedicated pub for away fans & is far better than it was in the past.
Oi Terence in Ipswich on 11:50 - Oct 4 with 1196 viewsstowmarketrange

Oi Terence in Ipswich on 10:51 - Oct 4 by terryb

I wrote this a couple of years ago Boston. Hope it is of help.

Now this depends what you mean by a good pub!

Like pubs in Shephards Bush, all the town centre pubs are forced to prohibit away fans. There are ways round this of course, but not one of them would be on my list of recommendations.

Walk along the river front (turning right from the station) & you will come across Issacs. There own brew is on sale here if you like Trads (Briarbank) as well as some Adnams (Ghostship is good). Food is very much pub grub, but there is also a cafe attached to the pub. It is expensive by Ipswich standards but a lot cheaper than London prices!

The far side of the town centre are a couple of real ale favourites. The Fat Cat (Spring Road & too far away for me to walk!) & The Dove (St Helens St). I don't know food wise at the Cat but the Dove is very basic & probably not what a wife would want . Allow for up to 30 minutes walk to the ground.

A bit nearer is the Spread Eagle (corner of Eagle St & Fore St). Since last year this has been refurbished & is run by a local brewery from Norwich (Grain) who rent the pub. Food is just sausage rolls or cheese platter (both very good) & beeer wise Redwood is my normal selection.

Lager wise I have no idea what is good anywhere in the UK!

I'm sure Stowmarket & others could add further advise, but I hope this helps.
Added to this is the Station Hotel which is the dedicated pub for away fans & is far better than it was in the past.

The Dove is only 20 mins away from the ground if you walk in the right direction.Just along the road from there is the Grinning Rat,which is normally quiet and they used to have a pool table too,for those inclined.The County Arms is 200 yards nearer the ground for those with weaker bladders,although it changes its name every week it seems.
The Salutation is a fairly decent pub I’ve heard.
I rarely drink in Ipswich pubs but all of those suggestions are far enough away from the ground to be a bit more civilised.And there is always a weatherspoons by Crown swimming pools for those inclined to want to pay less for their beer.

There are a few good pubs in Needham Market,which is one stop further along the line from Ipswich but there is a limited train service back again and only 1 or 2 trains a hour.There are some brilliant eating establishments all within a stones throw of the station for those who want a quiet meal afterwards to celebrate our win.

Hopefully we’ll get a good turnout as it isn’t on Boxing Day this year,but that might change if they don’t win their first game on Saturday.As someone else has said,”Its written in the stars that their first win will be against us.”
Oi Terence in Ipswich on 12:00 - Oct 4 with 1178 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

+1 for the Dove. Great boozer! Home cooked food.

Isaacs down by the Marina for something a bit more family friendly.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Oi Terence in Ipswich on 12:22 - Oct 4 with 1139 viewsmakaveli1882

Oi Terence in Ipswich on 19:24 - Oct 3 by DavieQPR

Smack bang outside the station.

Pub is closed or so I was told.
Oi Terence in Ipswich on 12:44 - Oct 4 with 1096 viewsstowmarketrange

Oi Terence in Ipswich on 12:22 - Oct 4 by makaveli1882

It opened up at 6am for Norwich fans last month and I haven’t Anything about it being closed since.Probably still being fumigated after them cants have been in there.
Login to get fewer ads

Oi Terence in Ipswich on 20:52 - Oct 4 with 880 viewsterryb

Oi Terence in Ipswich on 12:22 - Oct 4 by makaveli1882

The Station Hotel was open when I drove past it an hour ago!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024