Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eze England Call 11:01 - Oct 5 with 8762 viewsaston_hoop

In the U20s, good man

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Eze England Call on 14:17 - Oct 5 with 3557 viewspaulparker

Eze England Call on 13:30 - Oct 5 by Northernr

Cole Kpekawa got an England U20 call up three years ago believe it or not.

Great for Eze, great for Hoos, not so great for those of us who hope he sticks around for a bit. Will only drive further interest and higher price.

On the Nigeria point - probably a big reason why England have done it. They seem to be getting very like the cricket team and German and Swiss national teams in looking for these sorts of opportunities and getting players tied down.

Also the big clubs don’t want their players to represent the African nations as they play a tournament every 2 years and are away a month at a time plus you would get more money being an England international contract wise , it wouldn’t surprise me if his agent has made that clear to him

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Eze England Call on 14:21 - Oct 5 with 3555 viewssimmo

Eze England Call on 13:47 - Oct 5 by PinnerPaul

Been through the 90' now - good thing about doing it afterwards is that you can view it a little more subjectively.

Although Eze certainly tried to do his defensive duties, I made it 7 or 8 times he lost out in 1 on 1 challenges.

I'm swimming against the tide a little here, but I still think he needs to develop a lot more (which he can, no doubt) before realising any of the fancy prices being bandied about on here.

Regarding your last paragraph - I agree completely. I love him, he's a massive talent and a lot of these things are driven from those in 'football circles' and there's clearly a lot of buzz about him.

BUT. He's still only played a handful of games and he's not absolutely tearing it up like he no doubt eventually will. I know they're higher profile and it's early in the season but the likes of Maddison got 14 goals 8 assists last season, Mount is on 5 goals (after double figures for goals and assists in Holland last season). Harvey Barnes is the same age I think and he's got more goals and assists so far...

I'm not belittling the achievements and there's more to contribute than just goals and assists (I also firmly believe Eze would be doing a lot better if he wasn't playing on the fckin wing), but I think that assuming he's going for £20m plus next summer is ambitious as it stands. He needs to improve a few areas of his game, find some more consistency and then we will see where he is after 25-30 consecutive games.

I can't wait to watch them!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Eze England Call on 14:55 - Oct 5 with 3491 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Eze England Call on 13:31 - Oct 5 by Esox_Lucius

Rob Green.

Ed Balls
Eze England Call on 15:34 - Oct 5 with 3423 viewsextratimeR

Great news! very pleased for him, fully deserved.
Eze England Call on 16:00 - Oct 5 with 3380 viewsHayesender

Eze England Call on 13:30 - Oct 5 by Northernr

Cole Kpekawa got an England U20 call up three years ago believe it or not.

Great for Eze, great for Hoos, not so great for those of us who hope he sticks around for a bit. Will only drive further interest and higher price.

On the Nigeria point - probably a big reason why England have done it. They seem to be getting very like the cricket team and German and Swiss national teams in looking for these sorts of opportunities and getting players tied down.

I was talking to Cole Kpekawa's dad in the summer at a football tournament in ruislip. He said Cole was in Spain having a trial with St Mirren.

I've no idea how that trial went mind you

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Eze England Call on 18:04 - Oct 5 with 3269 viewssmegma

Eze England Call on 13:19 - Oct 5 by terryb

Absolutely delighted for the player & the club.

When was the last time we had player called up for England at any level?

Cole Kpekwa was the last QPR player called up by the under 20s.
Eze England Call on 18:08 - Oct 5 with 3266 viewssmegma

Eze England Call on 16:00 - Oct 5 by Hayesender

I was talking to Cole Kpekawa's dad in the summer at a football tournament in ruislip. He said Cole was in Spain having a trial with St Mirren.

I've no idea how that trial went mind you

CheshireR was up in Scotland recently and saw Kpekwa playing for St Mirren
Eze England Call on 18:10 - Oct 5 with 3264 viewsRangersw12

Eze England Call on 14:21 - Oct 5 by simmo

Regarding your last paragraph - I agree completely. I love him, he's a massive talent and a lot of these things are driven from those in 'football circles' and there's clearly a lot of buzz about him.

BUT. He's still only played a handful of games and he's not absolutely tearing it up like he no doubt eventually will. I know they're higher profile and it's early in the season but the likes of Maddison got 14 goals 8 assists last season, Mount is on 5 goals (after double figures for goals and assists in Holland last season). Harvey Barnes is the same age I think and he's got more goals and assists so far...

I'm not belittling the achievements and there's more to contribute than just goals and assists (I also firmly believe Eze would be doing a lot better if he wasn't playing on the fckin wing), but I think that assuming he's going for £20m plus next summer is ambitious as it stands. He needs to improve a few areas of his game, find some more consistency and then we will see where he is after 25-30 consecutive games.

I can't wait to watch them!

I would of thought the players you mentioned were all played in their correct positions though which would make a difference to Eze

I like him and going to enjoy him whilst we can

One side note I saw on Twitter someone slagging him off calling him lazy FFS
[Post edited 5 Oct 2018 18:12]
Login to get fewer ads

Eze England Call on 11:12 - Oct 6 with 3050 viewsPinnerPaul

Eze England Call on 18:10 - Oct 5 by Rangersw12

I would of thought the players you mentioned were all played in their correct positions though which would make a difference to Eze

I like him and going to enjoy him whilst we can

One side note I saw on Twitter someone slagging him off calling him lazy FFS
[Post edited 5 Oct 2018 18:12]

He's not 'lazy', I agree.

But really has to win more 50/50s for me - that has nothing to do with position.

As I've said before IF he is going be worth 10s of millions, being played slightly out of position should not make that big a difference to performance.
Eze England Call on 11:34 - Oct 6 with 3028 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Diego Costa managed to play for Brasil and Spain after special dispensation.

Tony Cascarino played for Ireland despite being born there nor having ancestors from there.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/oct/29/newsstory.sport12
Eze England Call on 12:13 - Oct 6 with 3004 viewsrsonist

Eze England Call on 11:34 - Oct 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Tony Cascarino played for Ireland despite being born there nor having ancestors from there.

It's only relevant if Eze had played a senior competitive fixture for them.

David Brooks won the Toulon u20 tournament with England last year and was free to make his senior Wales debut a couple months later.

No guarantee Eze prefers England anyway - see Iwobi, Moses.
Eze England Call on 19:30 - Oct 6 with 2899 viewssmegma

Ferenc Puskas played for two countries, Hungary and Spain, while Alfredo Di Stefano played for Argentina, Columbia and Spain.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2018 22:03]
Eze England Call on 20:28 - Oct 6 with 2844 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The Cascarino story is annoying to me for personal reasons. Our family has been blessed by adoption.

Cascarino did qualify to play for Ireland. His Mother's Father was Irish. It later emerged that his Mother was adopted. So fugging what. His Mother's citizenship or his own citizenship are protected by adoption. Cascarino was as Irish as the other Charlton Frauds - Houghton, Aldridge etc - but his Citizenship was never affected by his Mother being Adopted or not. That was a fabrication that Cascarino later admitted to which helped the sales of his really fine book.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Eze England Call on 23:48 - Oct 6 with 2763 viewssmegma

Eze England Call on 13:24 - Oct 5 by terryb

I 'd forgotten the Austin call up & it was fairly recent!

June 2015. He was selected for the friendly in Dublin and the qualifier in Slovenia a week later. Hodgson decided to pick Rooney and Sterling to start in Dublin. Rooney was replaced by debutant Jamie Vardy. Austin had scored 18 goals in our relegation that year, more goals than Rooney, Sterling and Vardy combined. It was THE worse England game I have EVER been to. The game kicked off at 1230 and I think the players played with a worse hangover than mine. It was the morning after the Champions League Final. It was a great weekend in Dublin ruined by Englands performance. Austin didn't play in Slovenia even. Even worse was Joe Hart played both games while Tom Heston was also in the squad as an unused sub. Roy proved he wasn't fit to manage England, the performance in Euro 2016 was no surprise to me.

Not that I'm bitter 3 years on.
Eze England Call on 18:54 - Oct 11 with 2615 viewsNorthernr

Starts.
Eze England Call on 20:34 - Oct 11 with 2429 viewssmegma

Eze England Call on 18:54 - Oct 11 by Northernr

Starts.

I've got a
ticket for the under 20s game at Colchester next month, I hope he plays.
Eze England Call on 23:21 - Oct 11 with 2252 viewsHantsR

Provided an assist in a 2-1 win, well done! Playing in a wide role hmmm?
Eze England Call on 08:36 - Oct 12 with 1980 viewskingsburyR

Eze England Call on 11:12 - Oct 6 by PinnerPaul

He's not 'lazy', I agree.

But really has to win more 50/50s for me - that has nothing to do with position.

As I've said before IF he is going be worth 10s of millions, being played slightly out of position should not make that big a difference to performance.

I think he is a touch on the lazy side.

Watch him when to Oppo has the ball or if we are playing it around at the back.

I heard that you can make space by standing still. He does that a fair bit.

I'd show him videos of a young Trevor Sinclair. He has that much potential!

I'll get my hard hat.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Eze England Call on 09:11 - Oct 12 with 1903 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Eze England Call on 08:36 - Oct 12 by kingsburyR

I think he is a touch on the lazy side.

Watch him when to Oppo has the ball or if we are playing it around at the back.

I heard that you can make space by standing still. He does that a fair bit.

I'd show him videos of a young Trevor Sinclair. He has that much potential!

I'll get my hard hat.

I don’t think it’s a racism thing, but it does seem that black players are disproportionately labelled lazy.

Matt le Tissier = Laid Back

Ebere Eze = Lazy

Personally I’ve always though every team can afford to carry a player who won’t harass the opposition for 90 minutes as long as they are either providing goals or assists.

See Adel.
Eze England Call on 10:23 - Oct 12 with 1813 viewsDorse

Eze England Call on 09:11 - Oct 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

I don’t think it’s a racism thing, but it does seem that black players are disproportionately labelled lazy.

Ebere Eze = Lazy

Personally I’ve always though every team can afford to carry a player who won’t harass the opposition for 90 minutes as long as they are either providing goals or assists.

See Adel.

That's a good point - it happens in other walks of life too. For example, if a girl is assertive she is called 'Bossy'. When was the last time you heard of a boy being called that?

On the Eze thing, I believe he has the talent and ability to become what Adel was to the Warnock side. What I am less convinced about is whether any manager would have the chops to play like that. It's that whole 'next 3 games' approach: if, say, McLaren tried it and we lost 2 games on the spin, you can bet the next game we'd be back to 442 with two holding midfielders. That isn't so much a dig at McLaren as an acknowledgement that he is unlikely to be allowed to experiment too much in the prevailing managerial environment.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Eze England Call on 10:27 - Oct 12 with 1802 viewsHantsR

You know I don't remember Rodney (74 yesterday) doing much tackling back?
Eze England Call on 11:32 - Oct 12 with 1714 viewsqprd

Eze England Call on 10:23 - Oct 12 by Dorse

That's a good point - it happens in other walks of life too. For example, if a girl is assertive she is called 'Bossy'. When was the last time you heard of a boy being called that?

On the Eze thing, I believe he has the talent and ability to become what Adel was to the Warnock side. What I am less convinced about is whether any manager would have the chops to play like that. It's that whole 'next 3 games' approach: if, say, McLaren tried it and we lost 2 games on the spin, you can bet the next game we'd be back to 442 with two holding midfielders. That isn't so much a dig at McLaren as an acknowledgement that he is unlikely to be allowed to experiment too much in the prevailing managerial environment.

i agree that managers live in fear of the sack and therefore adopt a short-term view.

but re: eze in the adel role. I think in this case it depends more on our style of play

QPR doesn't play a possession-based game. We've only outpossessed our opponents three times in the league through 12 matches. If you're playing in a team that has the likes of faurlin, or youre on man city, there is way less of a premium on ball-winning. there are just fewer times in the match you need to win the ball back, so its less important.

in eze's case, he plays on a team that is mostly playing out of possession and needs to win the ball back. the cost to the squad of having a player like that is considerably more than say, hazard not defending at Chelsea. it also puts a greater strain on ball-winners like freeman and luongo who become leggier by the end of matches

I'm not advocating eze run around like a headless chicken like conor (how many times did he needlessly close down a keeper on a long kick, only for us to win the ball back in midfield with him 25 yards offside). but eze definitely needs to offer more in defense. he also is very reluctant to get stuck into a challenge on a 50-50. he pulled out of one last weekend

having said all that, eze may be lackadaisical in defense, but hes definitely a good kid with a positive team-first attitude. he doesn't strike me as "lazy" or selfish. I think he'll improve this side of this game
Eze England Call on 13:03 - Oct 12 with 1587 viewsEsox_Lucius

Maybe he just doesn't want to get injured and lose his place in the side. I'm happy with what I have seen of him so far and the games where he does't impact much are those that he has been double and treble marked when he has possession. AT was 25-27 when we saw him at his best, and losing heavy marking was one of his abilities, so I wouldn't be in a rush to write Ebere off just yet.

The grass is always greener.

Eze England Call on 16:06 - Oct 12 with 1485 viewsDorse

Just noticed that WLS report that '...playing as a winger, Eze laid on the opening goal for Arsenal’s Eddie Nketiah.'

Playing as a winger? Bugger, we'll never get McLaren to play him at number 10 now.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Eze England Call on 16:17 - Oct 12 with 1468 viewsMatch82

Eze England Call on 09:11 - Oct 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Ebere Eze = Lazy

See Adel.

Broadly speaking I think you're right but I go the opposite way on that example! Matt Le Tissier was lazy as hell whereas I think Ebere is laid back!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024