Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) 10:46 - Oct 13 with 11208 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/britain-public-finances-worse-th
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 15:32 - Oct 14 with 2128 viewsstevec

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 14:42 - Oct 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think you'll find the MOST generous pensions are in the Private sector, just not fairly distributed to the lowest earners.

Restriction of Trade Union activity is the biggest reason private sector workers are worse off.

I'm definitely happy to contribute (as a tax payer) to the pensions funds of those remove brain tumours from children or pull my family out of fires etc.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2018 14:46]

Your second paragraph is complete rubbish, laughable if it wasn’t so deluded.

And loving how when even you probably realise the argument is lost you resort to virtue signalling.

Do lefties understand economics. Ever?
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 15:43 - Oct 14 with 2117 viewsderbyhoop

It's interesting that very few other European countries have embraced privatisation as enthusiastically as the UK. Healthcare and railways seem to be better than the UK.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 15:46 - Oct 14 with 2113 viewskensalriser

At least all these public sector retirees with nice pensions will be able to pay for their social care. Who's going to pay social care costs for all those retirees who don't have pensions? Yes, the taxpayer.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 15:49 - Oct 14 with 2108 viewsLazyFan

I have never had a final salary pension. I don’t have any sort of real pension pot. I have worked for many big companies freelance and perm. So, I gain no benefit directly from gov't workers getting a gold plated pension.

However, I am all for it. As I do not want a race to the bottom, one of the many reasons why we work as one great nation is to make things better, not go back in time to a workhouse mentality.

Yes, people live longer and thus we should have as a society provisioned for this as this was a goal of the NHS and education systems to educate people to live healthier lives. Proving the NHS and Education works….. if supported and allowed to do its work in our great nation. Meaning it is not undermined by Capitalists intent on destroying it for its reasons and predatory profiteering under the pretence of an improved efficiency masquerade which Capitalism has consistently failed to deliver.

I have never seen or been provided with empirical evidence that Privatisation as a concept has even attempted (let alone succeeded) in trying to sustain the goals of better health care and sustainable pensions. Using value and profit to look after human beings. And I have only ever worked in the Private sector, either employed or in Business on my own right.

As the Private sector aggressively intends to take or keep control of all national interests this must be vehemently resisted or if in Private hands renationalised as this approach of Private sector ownership and control has consistently proven that Privatisation cannot deliver. It is a failure and always has been.

Also, I, therefore, must conclude that any decision to support the Private sector is a clear lack of leadership and courage in making the tough decisions. It is a weakness and not a strong mentality, as it is too easy to cut and run from looking after the many not the few.

The solution to stop this is a workers democracy in all companies over 250+ people and that is just for starters. It should be noted that this would make Unions redundant and extinct as there would be no need for them. So, rather than being a Union loving policy it would be a Union killer.

If democracy is good enough to decide who runs the country then it should be good enough for where you personally actually work. As that would benefit you directly in your day to day most, rather than some silly politico harping on about whatever they personally want (garden bridge for example) and not helping you in your day to day life.

But I have noticed the hypocritical approach of most capitalists who say they support democracy, but just not in the workplace, it seems. And especially their own workplace. Whereby they run or worse support (against even themselves) their companies Stalin style of operating.

Stalin style is a politic bureau (Exec committee), with a General Sectary (CEO) and party manifesto (company policy), with party police (HR) and so on.

Whenever I see or hear capitalists say the left is a bunch of draconian commies aka Stalinist’s, I like to point out that this is actually how almost all capitalist companies are run, as I have done above.

If we want real progress we need workers democracies everywhere. If you are against this then that is fine but at least admit your against democracy and not hide behind lame excuses of Private sector efficiency. When the empirical data clearly shows it is not and never has been.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 16:32 - Oct 14 with 2070 viewsTrom

I think somebody made the point that the privatisations that haven't worked are where the government privatised monopolies or near monopolies. I think the real focus needs to be on the regulators of these industries rather than a call to renationalise.

In my experience businesses that are not focused on some kind of objective that is measurable and which they are held accountable tend either to fail or become inefficient.

So in the private sector, the goal is normally profit or more specifically return on equity. However there are plenty of not for profit organisations that measure their effectiveness according to achieving a specified goal.

Rather than renationalising industries, an efficient regulator should be assessing these businesses by both metrics i.e. profitability and ability to meet goals. Checks should be in place to ensure excess profits cannot be redistributed to shareholders beyond a reasonable return on equity whilst goals that benefit society are met.

Placing industries into the direct control of politicians is not the way to go. Neither conservative or labour are particularly attractive propositions right now.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2018 16:48]
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 18:15 - Oct 14 with 2021 viewsLazyFan

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 16:32 - Oct 14 by Trom

I think somebody made the point that the privatisations that haven't worked are where the government privatised monopolies or near monopolies. I think the real focus needs to be on the regulators of these industries rather than a call to renationalise.

In my experience businesses that are not focused on some kind of objective that is measurable and which they are held accountable tend either to fail or become inefficient.

So in the private sector, the goal is normally profit or more specifically return on equity. However there are plenty of not for profit organisations that measure their effectiveness according to achieving a specified goal.

Rather than renationalising industries, an efficient regulator should be assessing these businesses by both metrics i.e. profitability and ability to meet goals. Checks should be in place to ensure excess profits cannot be redistributed to shareholders beyond a reasonable return on equity whilst goals that benefit society are met.

Placing industries into the direct control of politicians is not the way to go. Neither conservative or labour are particularly attractive propositions right now.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2018 16:48]

Except we have had a massive amount of regulation enter all industries and still we have the need to see Rail franchises fail with taxpayer bailouts in the bad times (no money from the profit times for the taxpayer, that is for private enterprise only) and there are other examples very recently of where heavy regulation has not stopped companies like Danske Bank laundering $200bn by so-called accident. And these are not unusual events, but ones that keep repeating themselves despite massive amounts of ever-increasing regulation.

Then after all this, we are constantly told there will be another recession, even though if you recall the so-called new regulation (new since the crash in 2008) was supposed to prevent this happening again. Yet we are now being prepared for when it will happen again. This is a clear admission that the regulatory approach has failed.

It is no good carting off a CFO of a cake company to jail, while 2000 workers lose their jobs, who if empowered would have avoided this situation. Those 2000 jobs lost far outweigh any punitive readdress for bad bosses. So, even when it works, regulation still fails to deliver value as a whole. It is a sticking plaster at best and miss-direction at worst.

Also when you say it is better than being in the hands of the politicians, well I with others can get rid of them. It may take some time, but they can be junked. I cannot get rid of all the corporate leaders and change the system of value distribution for sustainability for the nation. As we cannot vote them out. Even shareholders with massive clout fail to get rid of these people, let alone mere workers or so-called troublesome Unions. And regulation has been proven not work and is continuing not to work. Your faith in regulation has been dis-proven and continues to be dis-proven time and again

At least with politicians, we can remove them, albeit eventually. However even better than that would be having democracy in the workplace, which means also politicians like Unions would become redundant as well. I notice you avoid directly addressing that.

More regulation is just another excuse not to deal with the real problem and one that is oft trotted out because the real issues do not want to be faced, in that the private sector approach has failed.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
[Post edited 14 Oct 2018 18:17]

zzzzzzzzzz

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 18:49 - Oct 14 with 1990 viewsstevec

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 15:46 - Oct 14 by kensalriser

At least all these public sector retirees with nice pensions will be able to pay for their social care. Who's going to pay social care costs for all those retirees who don't have pensions? Yes, the taxpayer.

Er, with their meagre savings and when they run out, their house.
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 19:17 - Oct 14 with 1971 viewskensalriser

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 18:49 - Oct 14 by stevec

Er, with their meagre savings and when they run out, their house.

Nearly 40% of households don't own the property they live in.

Has all the recent news about councils facing financial crisis because of soaring social care costs evaded you?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 19:32 - Oct 14 with 1953 viewsCaptainPugwash

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 19:17 - Oct 14 by kensalriser

Nearly 40% of households don't own the property they live in.

Has all the recent news about councils facing financial crisis because of soaring social care costs evaded you?

Arrrr...
It be desperate down at The 'ome For Distressed Privateers(parrots allowed).
May have o' plunder one last galleon afore oy turns in me crutch!

Yo ho!
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 06:08 - Oct 15 with 1812 viewsHayesender

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 18:20 - Oct 13 by kropotkin41

Privatisation was never meant to "work" in terms of delivering better services. It did and continues to do exactly what it was always intended to do: it delivers dividends to shareholders and bonuses to bosses and fund managers. Privatisation was always robbery and a manifestation of class war, a counter attack, if you like.

I appreciate that this point of view may be somewhat controversial, but to be honest, if you haven't figured out yet that capitalism only "works" for the ruling class and their few lackeys (and then only until social and environmental limits catch up with them) then either you probably have a very expensive car in your rather wide drive and like a little bit of self-deceit, or you're just a bit daft and like getting f*cked over by people who don't care if you live or die.

As a royal mail employee for the last 20 years, and as someone who's also worked for local councils before that was all sourced out, I agree with every word you just said sir

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 15:04 - Oct 15 with 1677 viewsstowmarketrange

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 13:35 - Oct 13 by stevec

I agree privatisation doesn’t work for all the reasons mentioned in the article. Also agree bailing the banks out has had a huge negative effect.

However, it’s revealing that the Independent barely mentions the ongoing and unstoppable pension deficit costs of public companies, the cost of which are crippling this country .

Public service pensions are so out of kilter with private pensions, bearing virtually no relation to what employees pay in and yet no government has the guts to do anything about it.

They did Steve.For most years during the thatcher governments the money that was due to be paid into the Royal Mail pension scheme wasn’t paid in but was diverted into the governments coffers instead.
And people wonder why there is a deficit in the pension scheme.
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 18:46 - Oct 15 with 1605 viewskropotkin41

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 06:08 - Oct 15 by Hayesender

As a royal mail employee for the last 20 years, and as someone who's also worked for local councils before that was all sourced out, I agree with every word you just said sir

Thanks, mate.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 22:34 - Oct 15 with 1535 viewsAgedR

I work for the council.

The local government pension scheme (LGPS) costs 19.5% (1/3 employee - 2/3 employer contributions) - the fact that people think this is too high is derisible really. I pay 10% of my salary in to a pension as I’m fortunate enough to be in a higher grade.

The LGPS is fully funded (no deficit). The other public sector schemes are unfunded, and successive governments have plundered this cash flow. That’s why they’re in deficit. Longevity is a factor, but, has been matched by a huge increase in employee contributions. It’s a red herring that argument.

By the way, the average LGPS pension is £5k. If it’s gold plated, it’s gold from Ratners.

Incidentally, no public sector schemes are now final salary, they are instead based on career average earnings. They also all have a cost cap, whereby the ongoing affordability of them is valued, along with their triennial valuations. The cost cap includes employer and employee contributions and is not allowed to exceed 19.5%. At the last cost cap valuation the schemes were offering additional value; i.e. the costs of schemes actually reduced.

The are many reasons why defined benefit (DB) is no longer as common in the private sector. One is the requirement to apply a prescriptive accounting discount rate to the liabilities and also the need to match liabilities with historically low yielding gilts.

However, you can track the decline of private sector DB directly with the huge inflation in executive pay and diminished union presence.

DB pensions are and always have been affordable, John Lewis is a good example of this. It’s just that companies have decided to spend their money on their senior staff and shareholders. And there are no unions left to fight this.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 22:34 - Oct 15 with 1535 viewsSydneyRs

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 18:20 - Oct 13 by kropotkin41

Privatisation was never meant to "work" in terms of delivering better services. It did and continues to do exactly what it was always intended to do: it delivers dividends to shareholders and bonuses to bosses and fund managers. Privatisation was always robbery and a manifestation of class war, a counter attack, if you like.

I appreciate that this point of view may be somewhat controversial, but to be honest, if you haven't figured out yet that capitalism only "works" for the ruling class and their few lackeys (and then only until social and environmental limits catch up with them) then either you probably have a very expensive car in your rather wide drive and like a little bit of self-deceit, or you're just a bit daft and like getting f*cked over by people who don't care if you live or die.

This.

In theory it works, in practice it doesn't. This is due to all the greedy bastards at the top wanting to keep everything for themselves. So we end up with less efficient, more expensive services while they get richer.

Carry on reading the Sun and voting for it though. They can't keep doing it without your support. One day, just maybe, ordinary people will wake up to this.
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 22:37 - Oct 15 with 1531 viewsSydneyRs

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 22:34 - Oct 15 by AgedR

I work for the council.

The local government pension scheme (LGPS) costs 19.5% (1/3 employee - 2/3 employer contributions) - the fact that people think this is too high is derisible really. I pay 10% of my salary in to a pension as I’m fortunate enough to be in a higher grade.

The LGPS is fully funded (no deficit). The other public sector schemes are unfunded, and successive governments have plundered this cash flow. That’s why they’re in deficit. Longevity is a factor, but, has been matched by a huge increase in employee contributions. It’s a red herring that argument.

By the way, the average LGPS pension is £5k. If it’s gold plated, it’s gold from Ratners.

Incidentally, no public sector schemes are now final salary, they are instead based on career average earnings. They also all have a cost cap, whereby the ongoing affordability of them is valued, along with their triennial valuations. The cost cap includes employer and employee contributions and is not allowed to exceed 19.5%. At the last cost cap valuation the schemes were offering additional value; i.e. the costs of schemes actually reduced.

The are many reasons why defined benefit (DB) is no longer as common in the private sector. One is the requirement to apply a prescriptive accounting discount rate to the liabilities and also the need to match liabilities with historically low yielding gilts.

However, you can track the decline of private sector DB directly with the huge inflation in executive pay and diminished union presence.

DB pensions are and always have been affordable, John Lewis is a good example of this. It’s just that companies have decided to spend their money on their senior staff and shareholders. And there are no unions left to fight this.

Defined benefit has been phased out because people are living too long now. Those schemes were designed when life expectancy was much shorter.
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 22:57 - Oct 15 with 1521 viewsAgedR

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 22:37 - Oct 15 by SydneyRs

Defined benefit has been phased out because people are living too long now. Those schemes were designed when life expectancy was much shorter.

Correct, longevity has increased and, consequently, the benefits from DB schemes have reduced and member contributions have increased to match this.

Longevity effects DC too. The difference being that insurance companies buy out the risk when providing an pension income, whereas in DB the employer provides the income, but, can continue to invest in growth assets to support this.

For this reason DB should actually be cheaper than DC.

But there is so much vested interest from political groups like the tax payers alliance, so you’ll never get to hear this argument.

Anyway...Ipswich Saturday.

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 01:31 - Oct 16 with 1496 viewsSydneyRs

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 22:57 - Oct 15 by AgedR

Correct, longevity has increased and, consequently, the benefits from DB schemes have reduced and member contributions have increased to match this.

Longevity effects DC too. The difference being that insurance companies buy out the risk when providing an pension income, whereas in DB the employer provides the income, but, can continue to invest in growth assets to support this.

For this reason DB should actually be cheaper than DC.

But there is so much vested interest from political groups like the tax payers alliance, so you’ll never get to hear this argument.

Anyway...Ipswich Saturday.

Yes it affects DC too but the longevity and investment risk now sits with the pensioner, not the fund.
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 06:35 - Oct 16 with 1440 viewsdistortR

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 19:32 - Oct 14 by CaptainPugwash

Arrrr...
It be desperate down at The 'ome For Distressed Privateers(parrots allowed).
May have o' plunder one last galleon afore oy turns in me crutch!

Yo ho!

oh god, you're phillip green really, aren't you?
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 06:49 - Oct 16 with 1437 viewsplasmahoop

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 22:34 - Oct 15 by AgedR

I work for the council.

You claim the local government pension scheme isn't in deficit, but if you Google it there are any articles saying the deficit is 35 billion rather than the projected 70 billion. The reason for this is because local authorities have put more money ie council tax in. It is also stated that local councils spend between a third and a fifth of their council tax on pensions. It's not an easy problem to solve for sure, but I can't help thinking something is going to have to give at some point
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 09:04 - Oct 16 with 1387 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 06:49 - Oct 16 by plasmahoop

You claim the local government pension scheme isn't in deficit, but if you Google it there are any articles saying the deficit is 35 billion rather than the projected 70 billion. The reason for this is because local authorities have put more money ie council tax in. It is also stated that local councils spend between a third and a fifth of their council tax on pensions. It's not an easy problem to solve for sure, but I can't help thinking something is going to have to give at some point

Yeah, people who have based their trillions in tax havens will have to cough up.
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 09:11 - Oct 16 with 1383 viewsAgedR

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 06:49 - Oct 16 by plasmahoop

I don’t know where you’ve googled this from. I’m familiar with Michael Johnson’s work for the Centre for Policy studies (a lobbying group dressed up as an academic institution and funded by those who wish to further shrink the state). This willfully reads selectively to meet its political objective.

I was always taught to look at the evidence, then draw a conclusion. Johnson has a key belief and seeks evidence to justify it.

What I will say is that the government actuary has recently carried out its statutory (section 13) valuation of the scheme and found it to be pretty much fully funded (I can provide citation if you really want).

I can also say categorically that funding position of the LGPS has increased since 2016 at least. This is as a result of assets growing faster than liabilities, not because of hikes in council tax receipts (actually the opposite is true).

The only funds still in deficit are those who chose to take the payment holiday they are encouraged to do by the Thatcher government.

Not sure I follow the mathematical logic of saying that 1/3 of council taxes are paid to pensions? Even if councils were paying 30% of pay to pensions (which they’re not), it would then follow that over 100% of council tax was being paid in workers salaries. Obviously this not true.

It doesn’t play well to an audience which has been told for nearly 40 years that private is good, public is bad. Or who have witnessed the decimation of private pensions as the unions have disappeared, but, rather than blaming their employer look enviously upon their public sector fellow workers.

However, the LGPS is a success story of the public service. They pay less in fund management fees than their corporate pension peers, they are more efficient and it provides a vital benefit for some of the lowest paid (mostly women) in the U.K.

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 11:38 - Oct 16 with 1336 viewsplasmahoop

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 09:11 - Oct 16 by AgedR

I don’t know where you’ve googled this from. I’m familiar with Michael Johnson’s work for the Centre for Policy studies (a lobbying group dressed up as an academic institution and funded by those who wish to further shrink the state). This willfully reads selectively to meet its political objective.

I was always taught to look at the evidence, then draw a conclusion. Johnson has a key belief and seeks evidence to justify it.

What I will say is that the government actuary has recently carried out its statutory (section 13) valuation of the scheme and found it to be pretty much fully funded (I can provide citation if you really want).

I can also say categorically that funding position of the LGPS has increased since 2016 at least. This is as a result of assets growing faster than liabilities, not because of hikes in council tax receipts (actually the opposite is true).

The only funds still in deficit are those who chose to take the payment holiday they are encouraged to do by the Thatcher government.

Not sure I follow the mathematical logic of saying that 1/3 of council taxes are paid to pensions? Even if councils were paying 30% of pay to pensions (which they’re not), it would then follow that over 100% of council tax was being paid in workers salaries. Obviously this not true.

It doesn’t play well to an audience which has been told for nearly 40 years that private is good, public is bad. Or who have witnessed the decimation of private pensions as the unions have disappeared, but, rather than blaming their employer look enviously upon their public sector fellow workers.

However, the LGPS is a success story of the public service. They pay less in fund management fees than their corporate pension peers, they are more efficient and it provides a vital benefit for some of the lowest paid (mostly women) in the U.K.

To be fair, having read up about it a bit more, I concede that you are right to a certain extent. The one third of council tax statistic is bogus, as council tax is only a percentage of council income, so it is a third if you take the council tax element in isolation, but it isn't. The 35 billion defecit is I think true, as if you Google KPMG local government they are the auditors. However, the most recent report in September says the local goverment pension scheme is in good health. So it would appear that local government pensions are not the problem!
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 12:37 - Oct 16 with 1285 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 15:32 - Oct 14 by stevec

Your second paragraph is complete rubbish, laughable if it wasn’t so deluded.

And loving how when even you probably realise the argument is lost you resort to virtue signalling.

Do lefties understand economics. Ever?

I’ll take the word of a BoE economist rather than some weirdo on Loft for Words cheers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/trade-union-pay-bank-of-england
Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 12:52 - Oct 16 with 1265 viewsAgedR

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 11:38 - Oct 16 by plasmahoop

To be fair, having read up about it a bit more, I concede that you are right to a certain extent. The one third of council tax statistic is bogus, as council tax is only a percentage of council income, so it is a third if you take the council tax element in isolation, but it isn't. The 35 billion defecit is I think true, as if you Google KPMG local government they are the auditors. However, the most recent report in September says the local goverment pension scheme is in good health. So it would appear that local government pensions are not the problem!

What an absolute gent.

So unusual to come across courtesy in social media these days.

Gladly buy you a pint next you’re in the crown before a game.

COYRS!

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 14:53 - Oct 16 with 1198 viewsplasmahoop

Privatisation Doesn’t Work (Non QPR) on 12:52 - Oct 16 by AgedR

What an absolute gent.

So unusual to come across courtesy in social media these days.

Gladly buy you a pint next you’re in the crown before a game.

COYRS!

Sounds good, cheers. In general, there ought to be a bit more tolerance of different views, especially on social media. But we definitely ought to be able to manage that on here, given we all support the same team. I haven't always managed it though, so will try to remember the lessons from this
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024