Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I knew money was tight ATM... 12:35 - Oct 16 with 8748 viewsEsox_Lucius

... but this?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45481218

The grass is always greener.

I knew money was tight ATM... on 12:46 - Oct 16 with 6685 viewsloftboy

Asking him to play for free!! Absolute joke

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

I knew money was tight ATM... on 12:58 - Oct 16 with 6634 viewsGroveR

"If you are not in contention at the top of the Championship you are trapped in a kind of purgatory with nowhere to go," he said.

"You end up just playing out the fixtures"

Maybe that sentiment indicates why.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 12:59 - Oct 16 with 6632 viewskingsburyR

Christ, if that's true then that's a disgrace!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:20 - Oct 16 with 6530 viewsR_from_afar

We don't know the full story but clearly, we should not be expecting anyone to play for us for free. That is unacceptable, although I would accept it myself if selected .

That said, he will have been on megabucks (Hughesless signed him), possibly £70k (I think I saw that figure somewhere), so a quick calculation suggests we have paid him in the region of £20m over the years.

I wish we still had him, on a wage, but a sensible, affordable one.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:24 - Oct 16 with 6515 viewsdaveB

Ned doesn't say he was asked to play for free, his quote is he was offered "incentive-based against appearance" which sounds about right with a smaller basic wage and then more money the more he plays. Thats not quite as exciting as this bullshit story though
I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:26 - Oct 16 with 6505 viewsTonto

Ned doesn't strike me as he Ashley "i had to stop my car i was soangry at being offered only £60k* a week" Cole type, but I dont get how anyone could ave been asked to play for free as in for no money whatsoever. I was, therefore, wondering whether free meant that after paying bills etc, he would have little or no disposable income (i.e. effeectively for free)?

* it could have been a different amount - I dont really care, th sentiment is clear!

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:26 - Oct 16 with 6505 viewsEsox_Lucius

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:24 - Oct 16 by daveB

Ned doesn't say he was asked to play for free, his quote is he was offered "incentive-based against appearance" which sounds about right with a smaller basic wage and then more money the more he plays. Thats not quite as exciting as this bullshit story though

He was asked to play for free.
"So imagine Nedum Onuoha's surprise this summer when the Championship club asked him to play for free.

The defender refused and later turned down an offer which was "incentive-based against appearances""

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:29 - Oct 16 with 6488 viewsPunteR

Is this a QPR problem or a football one. Players are paid too much. In fact their wages plus their agents are killing clubs.
As RFA says he's been paid handsomely all his career. His kids wont be going hungry thats for sure. He could probably retire.
He's obviously got a bone to pick with the club which is a shame. He pointed to something in his last game after match interview about the club needing to improve off the the pitch so maybe it was that.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:29 - Oct 16 with 6485 viewsDavieQPR

And then nobody offered him the money he thought he was worth so landed up going to America.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:32 - Oct 16 with 6477 viewsdaveB

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:26 - Oct 16 by Esox_Lucius

He was asked to play for free.
"So imagine Nedum Onuoha's surprise this summer when the Championship club asked him to play for free.

The defender refused and later turned down an offer which was "incentive-based against appearances""

isn't that the reporters view about him being asked to play for free, surely if he was offered a pay as you play deal, which this suggests, then he wouldn't be playing for free he'd only get no money if he didn't play
I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:32 - Oct 16 with 6468 viewsPhildo

.....or we have a policy that with older players you move them to incentive based payment- number of games or the way the club finishes in the league. If you are coping with FFP that is not a bad idea is it? No way we were asking him to play for free.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 14:06 - Oct 16 with 6321 viewscaliforniahoop

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:32 - Oct 16 by Phildo

.....or we have a policy that with older players you move them to incentive based payment- number of games or the way the club finishes in the league. If you are coping with FFP that is not a bad idea is it? No way we were asking him to play for free.

He made enough money out of the club anyway, good championship defender, we are a better defensive unit without him, good luck to him, club made him an offer they thought he was worth, didn’t see to many other clubs beating his door down, no foreverrangers for him
I knew money was tight ATM... on 14:15 - Oct 16 with 6289 viewsqprd

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:32 - Oct 16 by Phildo

I have to imagine this is an overstatement by ned- meaning that if he tore his acl before the season and missed the entire season, he'd make nothing. not sure such a contract would be enforceable as a matter of uk employment law

ned said he was leaving qpr b/c he wanted to be closer to his family in the north. based off this article and the fact that he ended up in bumblef**k usa, its clear his his decision to leave qpr had to do with his wages... not sure how he credible he is on this point
I knew money was tight ATM... on 14:15 - Oct 16 with 6286 viewsJuzzie

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:24 - Oct 16 by daveB

"Thats not quite as exciting as this bullshit story though" - the power of the media. Exactly the same way as Brentford fans now and even back through to today simply believed the headline (about the supposed takeover). It sticks. Same way as the Sun gets away with it time after time after time.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 14:51 - Oct 16 with 6176 viewsLblock

My heart bleeds for him.....

There was many a game at right back I think he should've been paying us!!!
A very good mid to upper Championship CB and could do a job for a lower reaches Prem club no doubt. I'd be more than happy if he was still here within the wages structure.

What jumps out more at me is his "home comforts" sentiment and generally wasn't really bothered as he's got bundles in the bank approach.
As disappointed with his interview as I am the club offering a pay nothing deal (really?!?!)

He's gone now - moving on..........

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

I knew money was tight ATM... on 15:00 - Oct 16 with 6156 viewsTacticalR

The way things are going only rich people will be able to afford working.

Air hostess clique

I knew money was tight ATM... on 15:14 - Oct 16 with 6108 viewsEsox_Lucius

I knew money was tight ATM... on 13:32 - Oct 16 by daveB

isn't that the reporters view about him being asked to play for free, surely if he was offered a pay as you play deal, which this suggests, then he wouldn't be playing for free he'd only get no money if he didn't play

"the Championship club asked him to play for free.

The defender refused".
That is pretty unequivocal isn't it?

I knew money was tight ATM... on 15:45 - Oct 16 with 6018 viewsDejR_vu

So, on the one hand we have TF and his merry band who have made such a monumental c0ck-up of things that, despite spending over £0.5bn, we are, if the story is to be believed, forced to make derisory 'offers' to long-standing players. On the other hand, we have an average Championship player who has very much been the beneficiary of TF's recklessness by earning millions from the club, turning down said derisory offer, but then moving abroad because, presumably, no-one in the Championship was prepared to pay him what he thought he was worth.

21st Century football. Nauseating.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

I knew money was tight ATM... on 16:06 - Oct 16 with 5951 viewsdaveB

I knew money was tight ATM... on 15:14 - Oct 16 by Esox_Lucius

The defender refused".

Thats what the report says, can't say I believe that though without more details.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 16:31 - Oct 16 with 5889 viewscolinallcars

I knew money was tight ATM... on 15:14 - Oct 16 by Esox_Lucius

The defender refused".

So, er, no reading between the lines then ?
I knew money was tight ATM... on 17:44 - Oct 16 with 5732 viewsNorthernr

1 - The headline bears no relation to the quote. Incentive based contract doesn't mean play for free.

2 - Him and Robinson were our top earners. We're being hammered by FFP. We were never going to be able to get anywhere near the money they were on and as it turned out neither of them were exactly swamped with offers from clubs who could were they?

3 - That said, by all accounts, the German is on a fair whack, which is what Onuoha is alluding to when he says players were being brought in on similar money to what he was on.

4 - The players knew we couldn't/wouldn't match their demands, we knew we couldn't/wouldn't, so there was no point making an offer at all. But Uncle Tony was getting blasted day and night by the baying Twitter morons and their #announcerobinson bullsht so the club made them token gesture offers that they knew they wouldn't accept so they could publicly say "we've made them offers" and turn it back on the players and Robinson couldn't keep saying in interviews "I've had no offer from QPR". It was, like so much sht at our club, a PR move.

5 - I like Onuoha, I think we miss him, but he did very, very well out of us financially. He admits himself in that story that at 31 he was in a position to not have to work if he didn't have to, and I'm sure we'd all take a bit of that sort of "purgatory" if we could.

This post has been edited by an administrator
I knew money was tight ATM... on 17:57 - Oct 16 with 5688 viewsrobith

I mostly find this hilarious because for the last three years I've lost count of how many times I've read on here "I'd keep them, but on a pay as you play deal" as if anyone but the most desperate person would accept those terms
I knew money was tight ATM... on 17:58 - Oct 16 with 5683 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Whenever there is a he said / she said contract story I always wonder why the aggrieved party never just publishes the written offer.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 18:00 - Oct 16 with 5677 viewsMatch82

I knew money was tight ATM... on 17:44 - Oct 16 by Northernr

1 - The headline bears no relation to the quote. Incentive based contract doesn't mean play for free.

2 - Him and Robinson were our top earners. We're being hammered by FFP. We were never going to be able to get anywhere near the money they were on and as it turned out neither of them were exactly swamped with offers from clubs who could were they?

3 - That said, by all accounts, the German is on a fair whack, which is what Onuoha is alluding to when he says players were being brought in on similar money to what he was on.

4 - The players knew we couldn't/wouldn't match their demands, we knew we couldn't/wouldn't, so there was no point making an offer at all. But Uncle Tony was getting blasted day and night by the baying Twitter morons and their #announcerobinson bullsht so the club made them token gesture offers that they knew they wouldn't accept so they could publicly say "we've made them offers" and turn it back on the players and Robinson couldn't keep saying in interviews "I've had no offer from QPR". It was, like so much sht at our club, a PR move.

5 - I like Onuoha, I think we miss him, but he did very, very well out of us financially. He admits himself in that story that at 31 he was in a position to not have to work if he didn't have to, and I'm sure we'd all take a bit of that sort of "purgatory" if we could.

Ephrahim was the same way if I recall at an even younger age, at least didn't need to work in the short term. Can't hold it against the players for maximizing their worth but football has gone crazy if you can kick around for a few years in the reserves of a second tier club and not feel the urgent need to work from that point on wards.
I knew money was tight ATM... on 18:02 - Oct 16 with 5675 viewsDevonWhite

I knew money was tight ATM... on 17:44 - Oct 16 by Northernr

On the first point Clive, the writer says in the body of the article that Onuoha was asked to play for free first, refused that offer, and was then offered an incentivised deal which he also turned down. Like you say, the direct quotes from Ned aren't that clearcut. As a journo yourself do you think it's likely that the writer has got confused (or wilfully misrepresented what actually happened)?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024