Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson 13:15 - Oct 17 with 4509 viewsToast_R

Anyone else keen to watch this?
Been seeing lots of clips on Social Media and I have to say, it looks truly mesmerizing. Hit the Cinema yesterday but looks like it's just a one off showing. Will be broadcast on BBC1 on 11/11 for the centenary and has been brought to schools across the UK.

Can't wait but I reckon it's going to be a very sad insight.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2018 13:16]
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 13:29 - Oct 17 with 3853 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Cheers for that I've watched the trailer and it looks amazing. I didn't realise it was going to be on t'telly.

Splendid.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 23:28 - Nov 11 with 3451 viewsToast_R

If you missed this tonight on BBC2 you need to watch it on iplayer. This film should be on the school national curriculum for the next century. Where it slows down from the usual fast grainy black & white footage into real time and colour - sent a shiver down my spine. Remarkable work.

The bit that got me, the soldier talking about putting his injured comrade out of his misery.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 07:33 - Nov 12 with 3282 viewsFDC

Yeah that transition was quite something. It reminded of a similar moment in Waltz With Bashir where the animation of women wailing amongst the carnage transitions into real-life footage.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 07:37 - Nov 12 with 3282 viewsCiderwithRsie

The start, still in B+W dragged a bit for me - didn't seem to be anything much I hadn't heard or read already - and I wondered what the fuss was about.

But when it changed to colour it was amazing - I believe there used lip-readers to make out what was being said in the silent film, so you get little scripts like "here, we're going to be in the Pictures".

Pretty hard to watch some of it.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 10:53 - Nov 12 with 3123 viewskingo

What I found most intriguing was the 'it's a job and we have just got to get on with it' attitude from pretty much all of the men. I was also very taken aback by the attitude of the people back home when the troops returned. They just didn't appear to have a clue about what had gone on and treated the soldiers with very little respect. A very leveling film.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 11:21 - Nov 12 with 3079 viewsdaveB

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 10:53 - Nov 12 by kingo

What I found most intriguing was the 'it's a job and we have just got to get on with it' attitude from pretty much all of the men. I was also very taken aback by the attitude of the people back home when the troops returned. They just didn't appear to have a clue about what had gone on and treated the soldiers with very little respect. A very leveling film.

I only saw the last 15 minutes but that was shocking to me the reaction when they got home.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 11:46 - Nov 12 with 3051 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 11:21 - Nov 12 by daveB

I only saw the last 15 minutes but that was shocking to me the reaction when they got home.

You can’t really blame the people though. They didn’t have wall to wall 24 hour news coverage back then. Just what you were told in the newspapers. If you could read!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 11:52 - Nov 12 with 3036 viewsMaggsinho

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 11:46 - Nov 12 by CliveWilsonSaid

You can’t really blame the people though. They didn’t have wall to wall 24 hour news coverage back then. Just what you were told in the newspapers. If you could read!

Yes, very difficult to judge them by modern standards. Plus they would have had the loss, privation and food shortages of four years of war to deal with themselves.

Thought it was an astonishing programme, strange the impact of colour and a soundtrack can have, I can't stop thinking about it.
Login to get fewer ads

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 12:43 - Nov 12 with 2936 viewsJuzzie

Only on iPlayer until the end of the week so watch/download as soon as you can.

It seems that technology to colourise B&W footage is quite recent, I've always been surprised it's taken this long to slow footage down to normal speed, surely that's been around for years?
IMO seeing soldiers walking around like they're on a Laurel & Hardy/Charlie Chaplin film set seems to diminish the seriousness of what was being filmed.

I was in Hounslow High Street yesterday morning and nice to see a good mix of people around the cenotaph all respecting the occasion and staying silent at 11am.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 12:59 - Nov 12 with 2894 viewsR_from_afar

I watched most of it and it was so moving and such a lesson for us about the horrors of war. We must strive to award all conflicts, we don't want to have even more wars to commemorate in future years.

I watched another programme about WW1 a while ago and there were interviews with German soldiers. The comment which stuck in my memory was about the intensity of the shelling, and it's impact. One soldier commented: "Even the rats were hysterical". Awful beyond words.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 13:09 - Nov 12 with 2867 viewsJuzzie

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 12:59 - Nov 12 by R_from_afar

I watched most of it and it was so moving and such a lesson for us about the horrors of war. We must strive to award all conflicts, we don't want to have even more wars to commemorate in future years.

I watched another programme about WW1 a while ago and there were interviews with German soldiers. The comment which stuck in my memory was about the intensity of the shelling, and it's impact. One soldier commented: "Even the rats were hysterical". Awful beyond words.

RFA

The problem with war is that it's created by people who don't go into battle and won't be affected. Happy to send tens of thousands to their death.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 13:36 - Nov 12 with 2813 viewsjonno

Incredible programme, the footage when it changed to colour was amazing. We all know the horrors of the trenches in WW1 but hearing accounts from the soldiers involved was something else.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 15:09 - Nov 12 with 2720 viewsCiderwithRsie

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 10:53 - Nov 12 by kingo

There's a great book by Robert Graves (the war poet) "The Long Weekend" about Britain between the wars. He says:

"there were two distinct Britains...the Fighting Forces, meaning literally the soldiers and sailors who had fought as opposed to garrison (etc) troops; and The Rest...They talked such different languages that men on leave felt like visitors to a foreign country...The reiterated conviction of The Rest whether genuinely felt or not (my italics) was that the Fighting Forces were heroes and had a prior claim to anything good...and the Fighting Forces accepted this as their due...(But) everyone who had served in the trenches for as much as five months ...was an invalid...all suffered to a greater or lesser degree (from Shell Shock)...they had been led to believe that ...having served...at the front...would be a safe coupon for employment whereas on the contrary the more exhausting their work had been the smaller was the peacetime demand for them. A million men found their old jobs had either disappeared or were held by someone else..."
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 11:48 - Nov 15 with 2368 viewssmegma

Just got around to watching it this morning. After that I watched "What Artists Do All Day?" which is the making of They Shall Not Grow Old.

Even more fascinating.Not being a movie fan I had never even heard of Peter Jackson before. I certainly do now, his story as to why he got involved was interesting. This is a work of genius.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 15:42 - Nov 15 with 2259 viewspaulparker

Watched it and thought it was fantastic it should be compulsive viewing in every school
The bit that I thought was excellent was the way the 1st 15 minutes was in black and white and a bit Charlie Chaplin then when those lads were talking about getting to the front line the whole thing went to colour showing the true horror of it all
Butcher Haig had a lot to answer for, those lads were the true “golden generation” that we’re just lambs to the slaughter

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 17:29 - Nov 15 with 2196 viewsJuzzie

Hollywood films aside, "Oh What A Lovely War!", "All Quiet On The Western Front" and "Das Boot" were my first true understandings of the horror of WWI and WWII.

All of these should be mandatory viewing in schools too.

[Post edited 15 Nov 2018 17:32]
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 14:33 - Nov 18 with 1911 viewsDannyPaddox

Just seen this. Last day on iPlayer. Incredible stuff. Agree with the comments above. Should be mandatory viewing for schools.

"Capt Neville thought it might be a good idea to furnish each platoon with a football and allow them to kick it forward and follow it. This was an enormously good idea as It took their minds off it"

And then the human carnage.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 17:18 - Nov 18 with 1851 viewsRangersw12

A brilliant documentary and should be shown in Schools .

Haig ultimately gets stick but the whole war was a massive learning curve which meant the losses were horrific but the sacrifices of 1916 meant that by 1918 the British army were successful in all arms warfare and defeated the German army in 100 days
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 18:08 - Nov 18 with 1814 viewsDannyPaddox

Another of the massive learning curves of the first world war was whether it be in the trenches, in the newspapers, or in the elections, don't listen to the posh boys from Eton. Generations pass and the lesson is forgotten.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 20:13 - Nov 18 with 1742 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just watched it and, tough as it was to watch, I'm glad I did.

Extremely poignant, specially the ending where the human waste was compounded by the lack of gratitude. The poor lads were just fodder for the aristocracy to throw at each other.

“Good-morning, good-morning!” the General said
When we met him last week on our way to the line.
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of 'em dead,
And we're cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
“He's a cheery old card,” grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

But he did for them both by his plan of attack.

RIP.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 22:20 - Nov 18 with 1675 viewstoboboly

It was good but for me the the 3 parter "the last tommies" was infinitely better. A lot more rank and file soldiers giving their thoughts on everything from recruitment to the end of the war.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 22:52 - Nov 18 with 1640 viewsCiderwithRsie

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 22:20 - Nov 18 by toboboly

It was good but for me the the 3 parter "the last tommies" was infinitely better. A lot more rank and file soldiers giving their thoughts on everything from recruitment to the end of the war.

If you really want the full-fat stuff then you want the 60s BBC "The Great War" series which pioneered oral history. (Repeated on Channel 4 a few years back.) John Terraine and Lyn McDonald, two of the best recent historians of the war, cut their teeth on that series.

Some people might be surprised by their views - e.g. Terraine became a big defender of Haig, based on what old soldiers told him face-to-face, which changed his mind from what he'd read before.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 01:23 - Nov 19 with 1592 viewsDannyPaddox

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 20:13 - Nov 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Just watched it and, tough as it was to watch, I'm glad I did.

Extremely poignant, specially the ending where the human waste was compounded by the lack of gratitude. The poor lads were just fodder for the aristocracy to throw at each other.

“Good-morning, good-morning!” the General said
When we met him last week on our way to the line.
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of 'em dead,
And we're cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
“He's a cheery old card,” grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

But he did for them both by his plan of attack.

RIP.

Mr McCarthy the poetry has brought to mind a desert island disc ...

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 09:54 - Nov 19 with 1509 viewssmegma

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 22:20 - Nov 18 by toboboly

It's not about 'what's better' though is it. Each programme is an eye opener.

I also recommend 'Teenage Tommies' which I believe is still on BBC i player.
They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson on 10:03 - Nov 19 with 1503 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Brilliant documentary.

The old sweat calmly talking about the dissected German like he'd just been on a visit to 'Body worlds' and the other talking about putting someone in a sandbag really hit home how horrific it must have been in the trenches.

Read a good book recently on the British in Italy during the first and some of the locals were not fans of the British as one soldier put it 'They thought the war would have been over long ago if we hadn't have got involved' Interesting insight.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024