Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? 09:43 - Oct 20 with 5431 viewsOldPedro

Anyone know what the rules say about the incident at the end of the Boro - Sheff Weds game last night where Boro stopped Weds scoring by basically lying on the ball in the 6 yard box?

And No, I'm not Ian Taylor in disguise, this is just the first clip I found of the incident

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 10:52 - Oct 20 with 4776 viewsfrancisbowles

Have a look at the second angle, far post, a bit of a tussle and a swinging arm. Penalty?

As for the lying on the ball, Pinner will be needed for that.
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 11:58 - Oct 20 with 4684 viewskropotkin41

Isn't that called something in that Other Game, the one they play in posh schools? A ruck? Maybe you should be able to go after the ball with your feet.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 13:13 - Oct 20 with 4601 viewsWatford_Ranger

Giving a FK to Boro was the obvious cop out but it’s obstruction and (indirect?) FK to Sheff Wed for me.
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 13:25 - Oct 20 with 4580 viewsTacticalR

I can see Preston etc furiously taking notes. Their normal method of stopping the game is pretending to be injured, but lying on the ball could be a new innovation.

Air hostess clique

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 15:02 - Oct 20 with 4452 viewsEsox_Lucius

4th and inches, I would have gone for it.

The grass is always greener.

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 22:07 - Oct 20 with 4109 viewsPinnerPaul

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 13:13 - Oct 20 by Watford_Ranger

Giving a FK to Boro was the obvious cop out but it’s obstruction and (indirect?) FK to Sheff Wed for me.

Agree about the 'cop out'

No such thing as 'obstruction' in LOTG though.

You COULD give free kick for playing in a dangerous (to yourself in this case) manner.

You could even caution and give IDFK for 'Unsporting behaviour'

Not sure what he has seen to give Boro a fk and agree with you that's the 'safe' decision!
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 22:13 - Oct 20 with 4082 viewsOakR

Drop ball surely?

Poll: Will we stay up?

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 00:07 - Oct 21 with 3960 viewsWatford_Ranger

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 22:07 - Oct 20 by PinnerPaul

You COULD give free kick for playing in a dangerous (to yourself in this case) manner.

Not sure what he has seen to give Boro a fk and agree with you that's the 'safe' decision!

Thanks.

So obstruction is gone (or never existed?). Is it still an offence de jure when a defender shepherds the ball out for ten yards blocking off an attacker?
Login to get fewer ads

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 04:09 - Oct 21 with 3891 viewsstowmarketrange

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 00:07 - Oct 21 by Watford_Ranger

Thanks.

So obstruction is gone (or never existed?). Is it still an offence de jure when a defender shepherds the ball out for ten yards blocking off an attacker?

If it’s not,it certainly should be an offence.
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 09:08 - Oct 21 with 3726 viewssmegma

I would have given a penalty , sent off 3 Boro players and banned Tiny P*nis from ever being a manager again.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 10:04]
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 09:44 - Oct 21 with 3663 viewsTonto

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 15:02 - Oct 20 by Esox_Lucius

4th and inches, I would have gone for it.

Jason Garrett wouldn't...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 09:55 - Oct 21 with 3647 viewsEsox_Lucius

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 09:44 - Oct 21 by Tonto

Jason Garrett wouldn't...

Newton or Mahomes on a sneak?

The grass is always greener.

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 11:51 - Oct 21 with 3530 viewsLongsufferingR

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 22:13 - Oct 20 by OakR

Drop ball surely?

...is the right answer, but we never see proper contested drop balls anymore. No idea why that is. Can't imagine any ref would have had the gonads to give a drop ball a yard from the goal though.
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 16:43 - Oct 21 with 3340 viewsPinnerPaul

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 00:07 - Oct 21 by Watford_Ranger

Thanks.

As long as the ball is in 'playing distance' its OK.

What you will see and again its a 'safe' decision is a free kick given to defending side, just to get the ball out of the corner!

On OP - On my 2nd favourite forum! - Ref Chat- consensus is that was the 'easy' decision - no one can see why Boro given a free kick there!
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 16:45 - Oct 21 with 3336 viewsPinnerPaul

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 11:51 - Oct 21 by LongsufferingR

...is the right answer, but we never see proper contested drop balls anymore. No idea why that is. Can't imagine any ref would have had the gonads to give a drop ball a yard from the goal though.

Again, bit of a cop out. Reason to stop play is because Boro player is lying on the ball - eg playing in a dangerous (to himself) manner.

Free kick or drop ball if you go that way - goes back to '6 yard line' as you can't have an attacking free kick or drop ball in the goal area.
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 18:37 - Oct 21 with 3254 viewsOldPedro

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 16:43 - Oct 21 by PinnerPaul

As long as the ball is in 'playing distance' its OK.

What you will see and again its a 'safe' decision is a free kick given to defending side, just to get the ball out of the corner!

On OP - On my 2nd favourite forum! - Ref Chat- consensus is that was the 'easy' decision - no one can see why Boro given a free kick there!

Cheers

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 08:18 - Oct 22 with 2997 viewsNorthernr

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 22:07 - Oct 20 by PinnerPaul

What would you have given?

I agree that it was a cop out to give Boro a free kick, although Lees perhaps does push him in the first instance, but what on earth I'd have done I don't know.
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 13:30 - Oct 22 with 2863 viewsdachiltern

From a hazy Lanzarote looks like referees view is of a push on the defender and easy to give. Otherwise if not a push in law an indirect free kick for dangerous play (lying on ball,) preventing oppo to play ball.
Next question then, if an indirect fk was awarded where would it have been taken from and where would defending players have to stand?
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 14:40 - Oct 22 with 2827 viewsTheChef

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 16:45 - Oct 21 by PinnerPaul

Again, bit of a cop out. Reason to stop play is because Boro player is lying on the ball - eg playing in a dangerous (to himself) manner.

Free kick or drop ball if you go that way - goes back to '6 yard line' as you can't have an attacking free kick or drop ball in the goal area.

Drop ball sounds about right.

One thing it definitely wasn't, was a Boro free kick.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 16:13 - Oct 22 with 2793 viewsblacky200

Should of given us a points deduction and massive fine.

That's a tough decision. I think in the heat of the moment the ref got it about right.
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 16:42 - Oct 22 with 2770 viewsPinnerPaul

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 08:18 - Oct 22 by Northernr

What would you have given?

I agree that it was a cop out to give Boro a free kick, although Lees perhaps does push him in the first instance, but what on earth I'd have done I don't know.

Its hard to tell, days after the game!

Don't want to be accused of sitting on the fence though - so probably would have gone with drop ball.

Half a cop out if you like!
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 16:44 - Oct 22 with 2763 viewsPinnerPaul

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 13:30 - Oct 22 by dachiltern

From a hazy Lanzarote looks like referees view is of a push on the defender and easy to give. Otherwise if not a push in law an indirect free kick for dangerous play (lying on ball,) preventing oppo to play ball.
Next question then, if an indirect fk was awarded where would it have been taken from and where would defending players have to stand?

As I said above FK is on the goal area line and oppo players have to stand between the posts on the line (if less than 10 yards away) - easy exam question that one!
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 22:39 - Oct 22 with 2669 viewsFDC

"You could even caution and give IDFK"

It took me a moment to work out that IDFK didn't actually stand for "I don't fcking know".
Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 13:04 - Oct 23 with 2551 viewsPinnerPaul

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 22:39 - Oct 22 by FDC

"You could even caution and give IDFK"

It took me a moment to work out that IDFK didn't actually stand for "I don't fcking know".

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 13:37 - Oct 23 with 2513 viewsMatch82

Middlesboro - Sheff Weds pile up - what should the ref have done?? on 16:45 - Oct 21 by PinnerPaul

That's a shame - drop ball inside the six yard box would be fantastic entertainment!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024