Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong 17:01 - Oct 22 with 8124 viewsDando

One thing I have found very refreshing so far this season, is having a manager in charge who although makes some mistakes - is quick to put them right.

It has felt in the past, that many managers we've had have been extremely stubborn with their tactics and team selections etc and just stick at it to try and prove others wrong, or maybe they simply don't know any other way. Examples such as picking favorites every week despite poor performances etc

- Passing at the back, from the keeper. This clearly killed the confidence of our defence at the time (incl Ingram) and was not suited to the side. Finally abandoned this, after pretty much admitting this wasnt suited to us yet

- Change of keeper. Was clear to most of us that Lumley should be given a go, but not sure all managers would have had the bottle to do so. A great move

- Going from leaking goals for fun, to making it more "boring" but solid against Birmingham for example.

- Taking those "boring" wins, and now slowly getting us to protect the lead but play better football in the process.

- Going back to 4-5-1 - realising that one of the front 2 need to be sacrificed to get the best out the side.

- Bringing Pav/width into the side. Ok, its only the Ipswich game this has really happened so far but lets hope this is also the start of a more adventurous attacking lineup.

- Overall, so glad the wrongs have been put right. Ok its disappointing that Smyth, Manning, Samuel etc have not had as many chances as we would like, but lets hope they might be the next ones on the list of improvements that McClaren is slowly bringing to the side

Feeling positive!
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 17:08 - Oct 22 with 5328 viewsNorthernr

Agree with all of that, plus strong admiration to come back from that August. He felt like a dead man after Bristol City and maybe if we'd lost to Wigan (when we could easily have done so) he would have been, but it's some recovery.

I do think we've had a kind run of games though. The only side we've played that know what they're doing is Swansea and they took us apart. Interesting to see what happens in the next three.

This post has been edited by an administrator
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 17:11 - Oct 22 with 5300 viewsbosh67

I think if we can get 4 points at least from the next two I would have to begrudgingly admit that things are getting better under McClaren. We did Millwall and then were terrible over the next few games so let's get 2-3 games in a row sorted out with decent performances and go from there.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 17:13 - Oct 22 with 5304 viewsDando

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 17:08 - Oct 22 by Northernr

Agree with all of that, plus strong admiration to come back from that August. He felt like a dead man after Bristol City and maybe if we'd lost to Wigan (when we could easily have done so) he would have been, but it's some recovery.

I do think we've had a kind run of games though. The only side we've played that know what they're doing is Swansea and they took us apart. Interesting to see what happens in the next three.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Yea fair point, but good to see us getting good results against the so called poorer sides. For the first time in a while, it feels like we are not at the same level as the ones at the bottom of the table, but pushing slightly above this. Still be very happy just to survive this year, but if we continue to pick sides that play to our strengths and stay organised then I can see us being more of a lower top half side than one we may worry about getting relegated. As you say, need to perform like this against the better sides too
[Post edited 22 Oct 2018 17:14]
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 17:57 - Oct 22 with 5168 viewsDixie_CT

West Brom, Bristol City and Preston are my real disappointments of the season so far.. Sheffield United could have quite easily been a different result and although we weren’t great against Norwich, we could so have drawn. I think the team on Saturday would have been a stiffer challenge for some of those sides, especially if it had been settled.

It’s great to see the team coming together to celebrate the goals and we seemed a lot more savvy than earlier on in the season. Freeman took an absolute age to take a corner on Saturday in the 2nd half and it was beautifully ugly. You can manage matches and be game smart without being a bunch of thugs. The coaching team must take credit for this as I don’t think its something the players would have implemented itsself although the likes of Rangel and Cameron would help implement it.

We look more solid and are creating chances by keeping the better ball retention and then moving it with purpose, supported by positive movement off the ball. Enjoyable to watch and not as bloody nerve racking.

It’s a shame that McClaren can be so vilified when things were going badly but there is little noise when things have started to improve. Being extremely anti or pro at this stage isn’t particularly helpful but it’s certainly more evident when it’s negative. Human nature at the moment or maybe it’s a default setting for QPR fans!
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 18:05 - Oct 22 with 5151 viewspaulparker

Slightly positive but our wins have come against some pretty poor teams anyone half decent we look very vulnerable , il happily take us staying up so any win is vital at the moment
Il give McLaren his due, I don’t like him but he has addressed the away performances I love olly but that was a game on Saturday we would draw or lose 0-1
Plenty of work still to do I’m not getting carried away , if we can beat Wednesday that should help build a buffer from the bottom three and that’s all I care about

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 18:13 - Oct 22 with 5115 viewsRangersw12

I think he's done well to go back to 4231 but he still hasn't got much credit with the fans haven't heard one chat of McClarens blue and white army

He's still very difficult to warm to and seems very aloof a bit like Hughes in that respect

Saturday was a perfect chance for him to build some rapport with the fans and come over and celebrate with the fans and players but he choose to just walk to the dressing room
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 18:18 - Oct 22 with 5103 viewsCFW

Good and fair points made within this forum. Whilst I did like Ollie for all the reasons that have been well documented I am beginning to take to McClaren. I do not miss the constant tinkering with the team and formation - I do not miss the extreams in the results i.e. 6 without a win, then a couple of decent results and I most definitely do not miss the total bollox he spoke before and after the match.

Steve keeps his council, appears to have things under control and from what I read has the respect of the players. Having said all that I do agree we need to perform well against the teams above us and the next few months will show just how far we have come as a team.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 18:34 - Oct 22 with 5065 viewstraininvain

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 18:13 - Oct 22 by Rangersw12

I think he's done well to go back to 4231 but he still hasn't got much credit with the fans haven't heard one chat of McClarens blue and white army

He's still very difficult to warm to and seems very aloof a bit like Hughes in that respect

Saturday was a perfect chance for him to build some rapport with the fans and come over and celebrate with the fans and players but he choose to just walk to the dressing room

McClaren’s never going to be a fist pumping celebrate in front of the fans type of manager. He’s at the opposite end of the spectrum to Holloway who thrives on emotion.

I’m not sure the Hughes comparison is entirely fair. Hughes is arrogant and I always felt that he considered himself above QPR.

I don’t get the impression that McClaren’s arrogant, more a case of preferring to stay out of the limelight possibly a product of his experience managing England.
Login to get fewer ads

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 18:35 - Oct 22 with 5062 viewsDixie_CT

I hope we've got a bit of a coaching team alongside McClaren with Eustace and Gardiner. I felt Olly really missed a Kenny Jacket next to him in his second spell and as much as the manager will take the plaudits or pelters, the coaching team are essential.

Don't think McClaren is like the type of personality that is gonna give it the big 'un after a win on the road and whilst he could have come over and given a polite clap, it's pleasing that all the players did it and that means more to me that the staff doing it.

If we ever do that thing when all the players hold hands and give it the 'yeah yeah yeah' ala Norwich this season then I think I'll be a bit sick in my mouth. Looks embarasing and awkward as. Each to their own, each to their own....
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 18:58 - Oct 22 with 4987 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Give him his due, results are heading Northwards after some horrors, but I still think he is the wrong manager for a QPR side with no money trying to launch a footballer factory.

That said I don't trust those the board to get the next appointment right.

Keep McClaren, not that anyone asked.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 20:28 - Oct 22 with 4787 viewsderbyhoop

McLaren is a far more considered character than Olly. By reputation he is a good coach. The defensive solidity after the first 4 games is impressive. And he can take a lot of credit. Consistent team selection plus the experienced players brought in is another plus.

For all that, success has come against some of the weakest sides in the League. This week will be more of a test.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 20:28 - Oct 22 with 4787 viewsGroveR

It only took Redknapp 45mins away at Spurs to realise a back 3 of Ferdinand, Caulker and Dunne would have us relegated by Christmas. Unfortunately he'd let possibly the most capable fullback on the books go by then.

McLaren seems to be addressing the wilder inconsistencies we'd see the last two seasons and we're a bit like the footballing equivalent of magnolia paint - we won't leave anyone breathless when they see us but we're not hateful on the eye either and we're doing what it says on the tin.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 20:56 - Oct 22 with 4718 viewscaliforniahoop

You are on the money sir, the one change that proves he knows what he is doing for me was, taking one of the three midfielders out, Scowen, Mass and Freeman didn’t work.

I hoped he would be given the time as he comes with great knowledge, skills and has won trophies at club level.

For me, it’s the improvement in play and players that is the most impressive, Lynch, for me is a miracle, unrecognisable.

Even Freeman is releasing the ball earlier (well sometimes) he still needs to take his blinkers off more often but definitely getting better.

Luongo’s passing has improved, Bidwell is looking more aggressive in his running and defensive skills.

Pav will only get better with game time, the problem with strikers persist, for me, that’s the only problem, with Pav, hopefully we will get more balls in the box, then we can see if the forwards are good enough or just being starved of opportunities?

The club has definitely moved forward this season, both on and off the pitch, it no longer seems Micky mouse!
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 21:18 - Oct 22 with 4660 viewsstevec

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 18:13 - Oct 22 by Rangersw12

Takes the stick when we fail, lets players take plaudits when it goes well.

Quite commendable in my opinion.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 21:29 - Oct 22 with 4630 viewsGroveR

"For me, it’s the improvement in play and players that is the most impressive, Lynch, for me is a miracle, unrecognisable."

Agree but he's also in the final year of his contract and that always seemed to turn Matthew Rose from winner of weak injury Top Trumps into Roberto Carlos for about a month.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 21:30 - Oct 22 with 4628 viewsDorse

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 17:57 - Oct 22 by Dixie_CT

West Brom, Bristol City and Preston are my real disappointments of the season so far.. Sheffield United could have quite easily been a different result and although we weren’t great against Norwich, we could so have drawn. I think the team on Saturday would have been a stiffer challenge for some of those sides, especially if it had been settled.

It’s great to see the team coming together to celebrate the goals and we seemed a lot more savvy than earlier on in the season. Freeman took an absolute age to take a corner on Saturday in the 2nd half and it was beautifully ugly. You can manage matches and be game smart without being a bunch of thugs. The coaching team must take credit for this as I don’t think its something the players would have implemented itsself although the likes of Rangel and Cameron would help implement it.

We look more solid and are creating chances by keeping the better ball retention and then moving it with purpose, supported by positive movement off the ball. Enjoyable to watch and not as bloody nerve racking.

It’s a shame that McClaren can be so vilified when things were going badly but there is little noise when things have started to improve. Being extremely anti or pro at this stage isn’t particularly helpful but it’s certainly more evident when it’s negative. Human nature at the moment or maybe it’s a default setting for QPR fans!

Fair comment. I was about as cheesed off as I get after the Bristol City game and may have referred to McLaren as an arse-munching fcuktard. However, I am far happier with the way things are going and if I am going to blame him for the bad I should also credit him for the good. Fair play to him.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 21:40 - Oct 22 with 4604 viewsRangersw12

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 21:18 - Oct 22 by stevec

Maybe so but managers who don't embrace the fans are never really liked at Rangers
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 22:15 - Oct 22 with 4505 viewsrsonist

Complete speculation admittedly but I feel as though McClaren's aloofness is a deliberate stance on his part. He's certainly more terse - almost defensive even - in interviews than I recall him ever being - he used to go out of his way to ingratiate himself to people and it invariably bit him on the arris in the end. I would imagine he's also well aware that he is widely perceived as a bit of a joke now too so I suppose he's just getting his head down keeping it professional (knowing what his predecessor was like probably a factor too) and letting his work speak for itself.

Rangersw12 is right to note that we don't tend to react well to that sort of thing as a fanbase though. The opposite might be true too - fair to say of all Warnock's previous clubs he knew just how to tickle our bellies.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 22:36 - Oct 22 with 4452 viewsterryb

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 21:40 - Oct 22 by Rangersw12

Maybe so but managers who don't embrace the fans are never really liked at Rangers

I liked Stock, Jago & Sexton.

None of those three embraced the fans.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 22:41 - Oct 22 with 4442 viewscaliforniahoop

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 21:29 - Oct 22 by GroveR

"For me, it’s the improvement in play and players that is the most impressive, Lynch, for me is a miracle, unrecognisable."

Agree but he's also in the final year of his contract and that always seemed to turn Matthew Rose from winner of weak injury Top Trumps into Roberto Carlos for about a month.

Lol
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 22:54 - Oct 22 with 4406 viewsVancouverHoop

From a 'boro supporting friend:

"A mate told me he saw SM at Eaglescliffe train station a week or two back, waiting for the Grand Central. Two other lads spotted him, and the gobbier of the two asked, ''low, Steve, how are you enjoying QPR?', to which the reply was, 'Enjoying?... Enduring!' "
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 23:05 - Oct 22 with 4374 viewscaliforniahoop

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 22:15 - Oct 22 by rsonist

Complete speculation admittedly but I feel as though McClaren's aloofness is a deliberate stance on his part. He's certainly more terse - almost defensive even - in interviews than I recall him ever being - he used to go out of his way to ingratiate himself to people and it invariably bit him on the arris in the end. I would imagine he's also well aware that he is widely perceived as a bit of a joke now too so I suppose he's just getting his head down keeping it professional (knowing what his predecessor was like probably a factor too) and letting his work speak for itself.

Rangersw12 is right to note that we don't tend to react well to that sort of thing as a fanbase though. The opposite might be true too - fair to say of all Warnock's previous clubs he knew just how to tickle our bellies.

Fans booing him after a couple of games may also be part of his stance, let’s be honest, the man is a top coach and really shouldn’t be with us, deep down, he must feel the same.

The problem will be if, we continue to improve and climb the table, someone will come knocking, this man has won a title in one of the worlds major leagues, he can rebuild his reputation here, it’s the perfect situation for him!
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 23:43 - Oct 22 with 4273 viewsCiderwithRsie

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 21:18 - Oct 22 by stevec

Take your point, but one of my problems with him was that when we failed he didn't take the stick, he blamed the players. So, fair play for not trying to milk it when we win.

I think he's just a more reserved sort of bloke, no harm in that, but I'm yet to be convinced that he's warmed to QPR (never mind us to him, that's less important really)

Agree with the OP that he seems faster to rectify mistakes and hopefully that'll apply to his understanding of what he's being asked to do too.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 09:11 - Oct 23 with 3920 viewsfrancisbowles

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 18:35 - Oct 22 by Dixie_CT

I hope we've got a bit of a coaching team alongside McClaren with Eustace and Gardiner. I felt Olly really missed a Kenny Jacket next to him in his second spell and as much as the manager will take the plaudits or pelters, the coaching team are essential.

Don't think McClaren is like the type of personality that is gonna give it the big 'un after a win on the road and whilst he could have come over and given a polite clap, it's pleasing that all the players did it and that means more to me that the staff doing it.

If we ever do that thing when all the players hold hands and give it the 'yeah yeah yeah' ala Norwich this season then I think I'll be a bit sick in my mouth. Looks embarasing and awkward as. Each to their own, each to their own....

Chris Ramsey is working with the first team as well as his youth development role.
McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 09:18 - Oct 23 with 3901 viewsHunterhoop

McClaren's willingness to correct the wrong on 09:11 - Oct 23 by francisbowles

Chris Ramsey is working with the first team as well as his youth development role.

Indeed.

McClaren certainly deserves credit for the upturn. I wanted him gone after City because we looked so far from acceptable I couldn’t see how it would turnaround in time. But, fair play to him; it has.

But you are right, our upturn does correlate with Ramsey back in the first team coaching fold.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024