Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Byrne 14:59 - Nov 2 with 4642 viewskensalriser

Anyone see this current tour? Absolutely outstanding - never seen a live music performance so creatively conceived and executed.

Four fellas going through the motions with the standard stage set-up will never seem the same again.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

David Byrne on 15:08 - Nov 2 with 4617 viewsBlackCrowe

Astonishing isn't it? Went to see it Hammersmith Apollo in July and was utterly gobsmacked - glowed for days afterwards. In my top 10 gigs of all time i reckon.
I wasn't even looking forward to it having been supremely shabby all day from the Stones gig the night before.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

David Byrne on 16:26 - Nov 2 with 4546 viewsqpr1976

Yep, saw him last Monday (O2), he lit up a cr@p souless and undersold venue. Very inventive show, couldn’t take my eyes off it. Still preferred the TH songs best and Lazy, although the new album does have a few good songs too.
2 thumbs up for me !
David Byrne on 17:03 - Nov 2 with 4518 viewslondonscottish

I just listened to the Pod of his Desert Islands Discs. What a fascinating, funny, interesting, self-deprecating person. And I've been listening to his tunes for 40 years,,,,

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

David Byrne on 17:28 - Nov 2 with 4501 viewsPeterHucker

couldn't get a ticket for this tour unfortunately.
Saw him play a great gig at Shepherds Bush Empire in 1994.
Unfortunately the album he was promoting at the time (also called David Byrne) is one of his weakest. But even so the show itself was amazing and he played plenty of TH songs.
In the bar after the gig he said "hey, cool shirt" to me.
I was wearing a tshirt with this picture on it.

David Byrne on 17:38 - Nov 2 with 4484 viewswestberksr

lucky enough to see it in Oxford earlier this year.

visually one of the most entertaining and engrossing shows I've seen. had massive expectations and went almost expecting to be disappointed as i think so highly of him, but what a show!

hope it transferred to the bigger shittegole that is the 02 and would have been there too if it werent for a holiday. Definitely in top 10 gigs; the guy is a genius
David Byrne on 18:35 - Nov 2 with 4461 viewsBlackCrowe

I refuse to go to the O2 any more, i hate it that much. Massive Attack have just announced a date to perform Mezzanine at the bloody O2. So i won't go. I mean what the hell is an anti-establishment, alternative trip hop band playing a venue like that for. Much better to 2 or 3 nights at the Academy or Empire.

That place is only fit for the likes of Cold Play, James Blunt etc . Mind you I saw Led Zep there 11 years ago but at least it was standing.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

David Byrne on 19:04 - Nov 2 with 4452 viewswestberksr

seeing as Massive Attack are so anti, the current dates stink of money grabbing, also released a special edition vinyl of Mezzanine for £95.

saw them.at Brixton a couple of years ago and they were great. couldnt help myself so.have booked for the Brizzle gig in March.
David Byrne on 19:35 - Nov 2 with 4424 viewsFearless

David Byrne on 15:08 - Nov 2 by BlackCrowe

Astonishing isn't it? Went to see it Hammersmith Apollo in July and was utterly gobsmacked - glowed for days afterwards. In my top 10 gigs of all time i reckon.
I wasn't even looking forward to it having been supremely shabby all day from the Stones gig the night before.

Me too - superb event!
Login to get fewer ads

David Byrne on 20:27 - Nov 2 with 4394 viewsKiwi76

Playing down here in couple of weeks & can’t wait - playing Naive Melody worth ticket price for me
David Byrne on 22:01 - Nov 2 with 4347 viewsDevonWhite

David Byrne on 15:08 - Nov 2 by BlackCrowe

I went to the Apollo as well, best thing I've seen in years.
David Byrne on 22:46 - Nov 2 with 4325 viewsisawqpratwcity

David Byrne on 17:03 - Nov 2 by londonscottish

I just listened to the Pod of his Desert Islands Discs. What a fascinating, funny, interesting, self-deprecating person. And I've been listening to his tunes for 40 years,,,,

I enjoyed it, too. Never knew he was born a Scot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b09vz6r1

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

David Byrne on 14:06 - Nov 3 with 4235 viewswestberksr

David Byrne on 20:27 - Nov 2 by Kiwi76

Playing down here in couple of weeks & can’t wait - playing Naive Melody worth ticket price for me

google the setlist as there are quite a few tracks off the new album thrown in. if you've heard them a few times they work as pretty good Byrne tunes.

other than that, prepare to enjoy!
David Byrne on 14:27 - Nov 3 with 4228 viewsRamseyR

I guess this is the same show ... Complete show Sep 2018 in the states. One of life's creatives for sure!

[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 14:48]
David Byrne on 19:07 - Nov 17 with 3964 viewsKiwi76

Played here last night - amazing.
Bumping thread as think playing Aussie next & if any tickets available give yourselves a top night out.
Lot of new songs for me but Byrne is in great voice & rest of band/support are brilliant.
& Naive Melody is still one of my favourite tunes...
David Byrne on 20:56 - Nov 17 with 3924 viewsrrrspricey

David Byrne on 19:07 - Nov 17 by Kiwi76

Played here last night - amazing.
Bumping thread as think playing Aussie next & if any tickets available give yourselves a top night out.
Lot of new songs for me but Byrne is in great voice & rest of band/support are brilliant.
& Naive Melody is still one of my favourite tunes...

Not a fan, preferred his brother John.
David Byrne on 10:57 - Nov 18 with 3829 viewsNW5Hoop

David Byrne on 18:35 - Nov 2 by BlackCrowe

I refuse to go to the O2 any more, i hate it that much. Massive Attack have just announced a date to perform Mezzanine at the bloody O2. So i won't go. I mean what the hell is an anti-establishment, alternative trip hop band playing a venue like that for. Much better to 2 or 3 nights at the Academy or Empire.

That place is only fit for the likes of Cold Play, James Blunt etc . Mind you I saw Led Zep there 11 years ago but at least it was standing.

They're playing the O2 because this is their living. They're not a charitable organisation. Playing one night at the O2 for 19,000 people makes a lot more financial, logistical and physical sense than playing three Brixtons for 15,000 people. And a lot more sense than three Empires for 6,000 people. I don't know why you would think it's any more anti-establishment to play a smaller corporate owned and corporate sponsored venue than a larger one. If you want artists to continue, you have to allow them to make a living: while people talk about the money to be made from live now, that is largely at the very to end of touring. Most artists struggle to make decent money off touring. Let them do whatever enables them to actually make a living.

And relating to an earlier point about the O2 being undersold, it probably wasn't. Althought the top tier was curtained off, the O2 can be hired on that basis as a 12,000-cap venue, the same size as Wembley Arena. It's also cheaper to hire than Wembley Arena, as a 12,000-cap venue, and has better sound and much better facilities.

FWIW, if people are going to play an enormodome, I think the O2 is much the best large capacity venue in London, miles better than Wembley Arena or Ally Pally.
David Byrne on 16:38 - Nov 18 with 3778 viewsngbqpr

David Byrne on 10:57 - Nov 18 by NW5Hoop

They're playing the O2 because this is their living. They're not a charitable organisation. Playing one night at the O2 for 19,000 people makes a lot more financial, logistical and physical sense than playing three Brixtons for 15,000 people. And a lot more sense than three Empires for 6,000 people. I don't know why you would think it's any more anti-establishment to play a smaller corporate owned and corporate sponsored venue than a larger one. If you want artists to continue, you have to allow them to make a living: while people talk about the money to be made from live now, that is largely at the very to end of touring. Most artists struggle to make decent money off touring. Let them do whatever enables them to actually make a living.

And relating to an earlier point about the O2 being undersold, it probably wasn't. Althought the top tier was curtained off, the O2 can be hired on that basis as a 12,000-cap venue, the same size as Wembley Arena. It's also cheaper to hire than Wembley Arena, as a 12,000-cap venue, and has better sound and much better facilities.

FWIW, if people are going to play an enormodome, I think the O2 is much the best large capacity venue in London, miles better than Wembley Arena or Ally Pally.

what's not to love about Ally Pally?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

David Byrne on 18:04 - Nov 18 with 3759 viewsNW5Hoop

David Byrne on 16:38 - Nov 18 by ngbqpr

what's not to love about Ally Pally?

You mean apart from the terrible sightlines, the hopeless sound, and the difficulty of getting to and from it?
David Byrne on 17:22 - Nov 22 with 3594 viewsericgen34

If this was like:

I'm very jealous!

I have tickets for Glasto this year, would be great to see them there!
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 17:23]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024