Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John willson 00:38 - Nov 14 with 2693 viewsnorthampton_hoop

Only a fellow angler would realise the horrible news of the sad passing of John Wilson mbe. Sad time. Grew up watching and listening to him. God bless. John. Tight lines.
John willson on 01:36 - Nov 14 with 2656 viewsBoston

Brace yourself Northampton, I’m afraid to say J.R. Hartley’s been looking very poorly recently.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

John willson on 07:51 - Nov 14 with 2514 viewscolinallcars

Izaac Walton's not looking very chipper these days either
John willson on 08:30 - Nov 14 with 2471 viewsEsox_Lucius

Not one of my favourite TV anglers but I always used to watch his Go Fishing show, and met him once at a Pike Anglers show. He was occasionally let down by his equipment which was amusing, the Halibut he caught after his rod broke and his clutch went on his reel stands out in my memory. RIP Mr Wilson and tight lines wherever you are.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 19:02]

The grass is always greener.

John willson on 15:07 - Nov 14 with 2362 viewscolinallcars

When I was a lad the famous angler was Dick Walker who I think, held the record for the heaviest carp caught in Britain. Maybe Esox can confirm ?
John willson on 15:13 - Nov 14 with 2352 viewsGuppy22

John willson on 15:07 - Nov 14 by colinallcars

When I was a lad the famous angler was Dick Walker who I think, held the record for the heaviest carp caught in Britain. Maybe Esox can confirm ?

Never warmed to him but you can't knock the impact he had on fishing on this country, put it out to the masses.
John willson on 15:48 - Nov 14 with 2320 viewsHantsR

I can confirm 're Richard Walker. His 44lb carp from Redmire (Clarissa?) spent the rest of her days in London Zoo. I liked the Wilson programme despite his crazy laugh. I still have a John Wilson Avon rod that has caught me many barbel chub and carp. RIP john.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2018 15:49]
John willson on 19:04 - Nov 14 with 2196 viewsEsox_Lucius

I know the record carp was called Clarissa and that's about it, carp fishing is not for me, I am more of a roving lure fisherman. Pike (obviously) Sea Bass, Perch and anything can lay a hook on when I visit America.

John willson on 20:29 - Nov 14 with 2145 viewscolinallcars

John willson on 19:04 - Nov 14 by Esox_Lucius

I know the record carp was called Clarissa and that's about it, carp fishing is not for me, I am more of a roving lure fisherman. Pike (obviously) Sea Bass, Perch and anything can lay a hook on when I visit America.

I haven't done any fishing for donkey years. As retirement impends, I was thinking of starting again. We used to do float fishing along the Thames between Richmond and Kingston. Whenever I walk along there now everybodyseems to be ledgering, virtually no float fishing. What's changed ?
Login to get fewer ads

John willson on 21:43 - Nov 14 with 2118 viewsEsox_Lucius

John willson on 20:29 - Nov 14 by colinallcars

I haven't done any fishing for donkey years. As retirement impends, I was thinking of starting again. We used to do float fishing along the Thames between Richmond and Kingston. Whenever I walk along there now everybodyseems to be ledgering, virtually no float fishing. What's changed ?

I bet there are some lovely sized lady Pike along the stretch, get your spinner baits and bucktail lures out

John willson on 22:27 - Nov 14 with 2097 viewsSimonJames

I met him once whilst fishing on the River Wensum. Really nice bloke.
I would loved to have visited the lake he owned in Thailand. Amazing stock of fish, including arapaima.
RIP John.

100% of people who drink water will die.

John willson on 22:31 - Nov 14 with 2092 viewsSimonJames

John willson on 20:29 - Nov 14 by colinallcars

There used to be some great pike fishing (with a lure) next to Kingston Bridge. Biggest I had was 21lbs, which is quite a handful in the Thames.

John willson on 22:35 - Nov 14 with 2089 viewsSimonJames

John willson on 19:04 - Nov 14 by Esox_Lucius

Ditto. Started my fishing career 47 years ago, lure fishing for pike and pickerel in Canada. Still my favourite fish and method.

John willson on 09:24 - Nov 15 with 2026 viewshubble

John willson on 21:43 - Nov 14 by Esox_Lucius

I bet there are some lovely sized lady Pike along the stretch, get your spinner baits and bucktail lures out

A mate of mine lives on a boat moored on the stretch between Richmond Bridge and Ham. He's told me about this enormous pike that he often sees surface next to his boat. The way he described it (he was sober and he's not prone to exaggeration), it was nearly as long as he is tall (he's about 5'7") and wider than him in girth. He said it's an absolute monster. I was actually discussing catching this leviathan with mate who is a keen angler, but we never got round to doing it. So it's still there as far as I know. The boating community there have mixed feelings about it, as although they don't want it killed, it takes all the ducklings every year and hoovers up pretty much everything else it can get in its jaws.
John willson on 09:37 - Nov 15 with 2021 viewscolinallcars

Still don't understand why floatfishing has given way to ledgering along that stretch of the Thames. We used to float fish using hemp seed and caught loads of Roach
John willson on 09:42 - Nov 15 with 2019 viewsEsox_Lucius

John willson on 09:37 - Nov 15 by colinallcars

Still don't understand why floatfishing has given way to ledgering along that stretch of the Thames. We used to float fish using hemp seed and caught loads of Roach

No disrespect to you Colin but Roach are livebait LOL.

John willson on 15:39 - Nov 17 with 1865 viewsSimonJames

John willson on 09:42 - Nov 15 by Esox_Lucius

No disrespect to you Colin but Roach are livebait LOL.

John willson on 16:06 - Nov 17 with 1847 viewshopphoops

John willson on 09:24 - Nov 15 by hubble

A mate of mine lives on a boat moored on the stretch between Richmond Bridge and Ham. He's told me about this enormous pike that he often sees surface next to his boat. The way he described it (he was sober and he's not prone to exaggeration), it was nearly as long as he is tall (he's about 5'7") and wider than him in girth. He said it's an absolute monster. I was actually discussing catching this leviathan with mate who is a keen angler, but we never got round to doing it. So it's still there as far as I know. The boating community there have mixed feelings about it, as although they don't want it killed, it takes all the ducklings every year and hoovers up pretty much everything else it can get in its jaws.

The only live pike I've ever seen was at least 5' long, in shallow lake waters. The first glimpse I thought it was a child in a dark green wetsuit. Then I saw it again, battling to kill and swallow a large eel which it had caught head first. A foot of eel tail was sticking out and it was probably attacking the pike from the inside. The struggle went on for about five minutes.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024