Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread 12:46 - Nov 17 with 28726 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Post any one of your eight Desert Island Discs. Only one per post for arrowing purposes. Eight posts not just allowed, but encouraged.

I haven't decided on my full eight yet, but this is definitely one of them.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 09:26 - Nov 18 with 1516 viewsWrightUp5hit___

and Ted didn't pick this?

Song that has been around me since I was 12

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 09:30 - Nov 18 with 1512 viewsWrightUp5hit___

First time I heard this I was just floored, then subsequently every time I hear it.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 09:38 - Nov 18 with 1502 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Dylan is one I used to love to hate, but gradually his songs worked their way into my head. First with a bit of grudging acceptance and then eventually realisation that awful lot are absolute gems.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 09:49 - Nov 18 with 1495 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Unfortunately these days , kids seem to be so boxed off into one genre of music they just don't open themselves up to all they can listen to. Always tried to open my ears to all, and back in the 70's The Brothers Johnson were on it. Still sounds fresh

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 10:15 - Nov 18 with 1478 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Introduced to this at an early age by my Jazz loving Uncle, who undoubtedly influenced me to have a wide taste in music.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 10:45 - Nov 18 with 1461 viewsichbinnaughty

An album called “Love” by a band called “Amen Dunes”.

A numbed, narcotic soupy bliss - without the narcotics.

Absolutely wonderful.

Most recent album, Freedom, is also IMMENSE.
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 10:45 - Nov 18 with 1461 viewsted_hendrix

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 09:26 - Nov 18 by WrightUp5hit___

and Ted didn't pick this?

Song that has been around me since I was 12

Its a cruel thread and a challenge too, I could have picked just about anything from Hendrix last night If I was picking 8 songs tonight they'd be different to last night.
My I-Pad is littered with music that I could have stuck on this thread I almost put Woody Guthrie's 'This Land is Your Land' or something from Joe Brown and the Bruvvers Cant understand why I didn't put a Dubliners track on this thread either or Dylan or Wishbone Ash, Frank Sinatra I'd definitely stick a Ray Charles track on next time

Its a challenge

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:10 - Nov 18 with 1442 viewsHantsR

Means so much to me: played at a memorial service for a friend and colleague getting blown up in a plane over Niger; playing in my car in 1986 coming away from Wembley; first seeing Local Hero on a plane coming home after a long stint away on the other side of the world.

Login to get fewer ads

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:59 - Nov 18 with 1419 viewspaulparker

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 07:47 - Nov 18 by westberksr

I knew one of you fckers would beat me to this!

Was actually at a house party in Stony Stratford last night and this was played Steve, will be on my funeral playlist too.

And mine Stu , the tune reminds me of many a come down on a Sunday back in the good old days of listening to Green Apple
Next time your over stony way PM and il meet you for a pint or 3

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:13 - Nov 18 with 1410 viewsKingstan

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:33 - Nov 18 with 1392 viewsEsox_Lucius

This properly brings up the hairs onthe back of my neck.

The grass is always greener.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread (n/t) on 12:37 - Nov 18 with 1390 viewsKingstan

It's meant to be Hard Workin Man by Cpt. Beefheart but I can't get the link to work!
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 12:40]
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:40 - Nov 18 with 1385 viewsEsox_Lucius

RIP Alvin Lee. The best bit of Woodstock. Guitar shredding done right.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 12:49]

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:42 - Nov 18 with 1383 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Poll: Expectations for this season?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:51 - Nov 18 with 1381 viewsCiderwithRsie

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 09:49 - Nov 18 by WrightUp5hit___

Unfortunately these days , kids seem to be so boxed off into one genre of music they just don't open themselves up to all they can listen to. Always tried to open my ears to all, and back in the 70's The Brothers Johnson were on it. Still sounds fresh

Funny you say that, with my kids it's the exact opposite.

When I was a teenager you were a punk or a soulboy or whatever and that was it.Rock fans really, really hated disco. If you were a boy you sure as hell didn't say you liked Abba unless you were already screamingly camp. And old stuff was by definition cr*p (I too loved to hate Dylan until I really listen cos I was bored of has-beens telling me how great the 60s were. Ditto Beatles, actually)

Now it's all on the net and my kids listen to anything from any era and either like it or don't. Often it's a cover version playing about with the genre - early Bowie done as Atlantic soul or whatever.
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:54 - Nov 18 with 1379 viewsEsox_Lucius

Best. Live. Act. Ever.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:58 - Nov 18 with 1374 viewsEsox_Lucius

I first heard these in Australia around 2006 and haven't heard any better psytrance since.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:01 - Nov 18 with 1371 viewsEsox_Lucius

Hard to believe this is over 35 years old now. I still love it.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:05 - Nov 18 with 1367 viewsEsox_Lucius

Almost anything from the White Room album could have been chosen but...

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:16 - Nov 18 with 1360 viewsloftboy

Oi Ted, you were only meant to pick one!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread (n/t) on 13:36 - Nov 18 with 1355 viewsEsox_Lucius

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread (n/t) on 12:37 - Nov 18 by Kingstan

It's meant to be Hard Workin Man by Cpt. Beefheart but I can't get the link to work!
[Post edited 18 Nov 2018 12:40]

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 14:07 - Nov 18 with 1333 viewsBrixtonR

Typical sickening BBC MSM wrong uns perverting our children with there despicable white genocide diversity agenda I can't post some Screwdriver or Extreme Hatred that normal decent folk would enjoy.............

In that case this would be one of my 8,

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 14:10 - Nov 18 with 1333 viewsjonno

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 14:33 - Nov 18 with 1319 viewsBrianMcCarthy

2. The title track of one my favourite albums. Never gets old.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:01 - Nov 18 with 1306 viewsqprxtc

Eight desert island discs you say? Hhmmm now let me think.....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024