Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread 12:46 - Nov 17 with 28894 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Post any one of your eight Desert Island Discs. Only one per post for arrowing purposes. Eight posts not just allowed, but encouraged.

I haven't decided on my full eight yet, but this is definitely one of them.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:46 - Nov 19 with 1734 viewsjohann28

Great thread; thank you.

Played at the great man's funeral, always brings a tear to the eye. Every note is perfect.

Love my team.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:53 - Nov 19 with 1726 viewsBlackCrowe

Track 3. The most gorgeous version of this well known classic - needs speakers or headphones.

[Post edited 19 Nov 2018 15:54]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 16:01 - Nov 19 with 1707 viewsHantsR

I think on those long, lonely moonlit nights, there is only one song, DvoÅ™ák's Song to the moon - Renée Fleming's top line might also might cheer me up, if she could come and sing it to me?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 16:05 - Nov 19 with 1702 viewsRed_Ranger

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 09:32 - Nov 19 by Mick_S

Go to the top of the class!
Choon - Nuff said.
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 09:01 - Nov 20 with 1560 viewsR_from_afar

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:04 - Nov 19 by R_from_afar

Very hard to choose for all the amazing stuff out there but here's my opening shot:

RFA

Second stage: Haunting, elegaic instrumentral rock which makes very clever use of dynamics. It's mournful, even, but still beautiful in its own way.

The slow mid section, stripped back to swelling synth chords and a sparse lead guitar part, is quite something, in my humble opinion, and proof that the space between the notes has its own power. Or something

https://djamkaret.bandcamp.com/track/feast-of-ashes

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 09:10 - Nov 20 with 1554 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Number Three from me. Favourite soul ballad ever. The arrangement, production, musicianship and voice are all perfect. What's more, it's restrained and not the nasal caterwauling that often got passed off as soul in the decades that followed.

Never fails to get me, this one.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 10:36 - Nov 20 with 1524 viewshubble

Possibly an acquired taste, but one of my all time favourite bands, and I love this track. Stellar line up in Magazine too: this incarnation features Howard Devoto, the late great John McGeoch on guitar, Barry Adamson on bass, Dave Formula on keyboards, John Doyle drums.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 10:59 - Nov 20 with 1511 viewsSpanishranger

What a great thread - loving all the Steely Dan.
Hard to pick one SD track - Aja, Black Cow, Josie - but for me it has to be Any Major Dude

Login to get fewer ads

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:03 - Nov 20 with 1508 viewsSpanishranger

Had to have a Beach Boys song in their somewhere. I know it's not for the purists, but considering it was released in 2012, it sounds like it is straight out of 1965

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:06 - Nov 20 with 1504 viewsSpanishranger

Foals - What Went Down is IMO probably the best album of this decade so................

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:08 - Nov 20 with 1504 viewsSpanishranger

Shelby Lynne - not Country's biggest fan, but the raw emotion in this song is incredible

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:39 - Nov 20 with 1490 viewsheadhoops

number 5

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:40 - Nov 20 with 1489 viewsBathRanger

I was going to post The Ecstasy of Gold by Ennio Morricone, so this is cheating slightly as it also includes The Good The Bad and The Ugly main title with The Ecstasy of Gold starting at 02:45 but they are both great pieces in my opinion.

Also gotta love a classical orchestra that has a man hanging from a noose above them to add to the effect!

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:40 - Nov 20 with 1487 viewsheadhoops

number 6

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:46 - Nov 20 with 1478 viewsMrSheen

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 10:36 - Nov 20 by hubble

Possibly an acquired taste, but one of my all time favourite bands, and I love this track. Stellar line up in Magazine too: this incarnation features Howard Devoto, the late great John McGeoch on guitar, Barry Adamson on bass, Dave Formula on keyboards, John Doyle drums.

Very good, but I’d have picked Philadelphia. McGeoch was superb with Siouxsie and the Banshees too.
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:47 - Nov 20 with 1478 viewsSonofNorfolt

A Floyd or a Zep song? Hard not to really. Try this.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:51 - Nov 20 with 1468 viewsSonofNorfolt

Or this?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:56 - Nov 20 with 1458 viewsSonofNorfolt

A different Pumpkins number?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:02 - Nov 20 with 1455 viewsR_from_afar

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:47 - Nov 20 by SonofNorfolt

A Floyd or a Zep song? Hard not to really. Try this.

A fabulous track , from my favourite Floyd album. The whole thing flows and there are are some marvellously bitter, cutting lyrics. The two short tracks at either end of the album give it great symmetry and a proper beginning and end. It nearly made it into my eight.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:04 - Nov 20 with 1454 viewsSonofNorfolt

More Dan? Phil Woods on alto. As good as you hear.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:07 - Nov 20 with 1453 viewsR_from_afar

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 09:01 - Nov 20 by R_from_afar

Second stage: Haunting, elegaic instrumentral rock which makes very clever use of dynamics. It's mournful, even, but still beautiful in its own way.

The slow mid section, stripped back to swelling synth chords and a sparse lead guitar part, is quite something, in my humble opinion, and proof that the space between the notes has its own power. Or something

https://djamkaret.bandcamp.com/track/feast-of-ashes

RFA

That rare thing, humorous lyrics paired with excellent music. The way the guitar, bass and drums complement each other is something to behold and it could be argued that with this tune, Primus created a new genre, hillbilly hard rock. Ridiculous and ridiculously good, all at the same time...

RFA

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:09 - Nov 20 with 1452 viewsSonofNorfolt

Or Larry Carlton on guitar? Killing it.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:12 - Nov 20 with 1446 viewsBathRanger

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:15 - Nov 20 with 1444 viewsSonofNorfolt

More Rush I hear you say? OK. A shorter one.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:23 - Nov 20 with 1439 viewsSpanishranger

The The - hard to choose one track. Really tempted to go with Beyond Love but settled on Uncertain Smile for the Jools Holland solo and uptempo feel which is a bit unusual for them

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024