Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread 12:46 - Nov 17 with 28115 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Post any one of your eight Desert Island Discs. Only one per post for arrowing purposes. Eight posts not just allowed, but encouraged.

I haven't decided on my full eight yet, but this is definitely one of them.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:24 - Nov 20 with 1259 viewsSonofNorfolt

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:07 - Nov 20 by R_from_afar

That rare thing, humorous lyrics paired with excellent music. The way the guitar, bass and drums complement each other is something to behold and it could be argued that with this tune, Primus created a new genre, hillbilly hard rock. Ridiculous and ridiculously good, all at the same time...

RFA

Good one.

For some reason reminds me of this. Underrated band.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:29 - Nov 20 with 1258 viewsSpanishranger

Haven't seen any Bruce Springsteen yet
Anyone who doesn't know this track - check out the Sax solo around 3 mins 50

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:33 - Nov 20 with 1251 viewsR_from_afar

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:07 - Nov 20 by R_from_afar

That rare thing, humorous lyrics paired with excellent music. The way the guitar, bass and drums complement each other is something to behold and it could be argued that with this tune, Primus created a new genre, hillbilly hard rock. Ridiculous and ridiculously good, all at the same time...

RFA

Number four coming up and here's a track which inspired many a speed metal band. But wait, don't pass by on the other side, it is worth it for the moody slow section alone! Surely the best thing ever to come out of Wales?

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:35 - Nov 20 with 1249 viewsSpanishranger

Need to have an Ian Dury track to keep you laughing - who else could squeeze Yvonne Goolagong into a song?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:39 - Nov 20 with 1243 viewsSonofNorfolt

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:33 - Nov 20 by R_from_afar

Number four coming up and here's a track which inspired many a speed metal band. But wait, don't pass by on the other side, it is worth it for the moody slow section alone! Surely the best thing ever to come out of Wales?

RFA

Along with the Manics yep.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:49 - Nov 20 with 1237 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:46 - Nov 19 by johann28

Great thread; thank you.

Played at the great man's funeral, always brings a tear to the eye. Every note is perfect.

Love my team.

That would rattle my Top 8. Incredible track, and my favourite one by Rory.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:59 - Nov 20 with 1229 viewsR_from_afar

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:33 - Nov 20 by R_from_afar

RFA

Man, I am running short of choices - good thing too, I hear you cry - but here's my in no way diminished fifth. Senescent rock fans may find themselves overcome by a tidal wave of nostalgia.

A bit of a half-hearted performance, don't you think? Surely the bloke could manage to play at least three brass instruments all at once? Very poor

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:08 - Nov 20 with 1220 viewsSonofNorfolt

How could I forget? The ROCK song.
My desert island is the size of Madagascar.

Login to get fewer ads

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:11 - Nov 20 with 1219 viewsR_from_afar

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:49 - Nov 20 by BrianMcCarthy

That would rattle my Top 8. Incredible track, and my favourite one by Rory.

Wasn't he incredible? So engaging, yet humble, honest, a great singer and a musician who blended together blues, folk and rock to create something utterly magical.

I feel a bit guilty for not including anything by him .

RFA

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:31 - Nov 20 with 1209 viewsSonofNorfolt

Ireland's greatest band.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:45 - Nov 20 with 1200 viewshubble

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 11:46 - Nov 20 by MrSheen

Very good, but I’d have picked Philadelphia. McGeoch was superb with Siouxsie and the Banshees too.

Indeed he was. And I agree, it was a toss up between Philadelphia and Because You're Frightened.
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:48 - Nov 20 with 1198 viewsEsox_Lucius

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:35 - Nov 20 by Spanishranger

Need to have an Ian Dury track to keep you laughing - who else could squeeze Yvonne Goolagong into a song?

The people who included Vitas Gerulaitas in a song title?

The grass is always greener.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:56 - Nov 20 with 1192 viewsSonofNorfolt

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:48 - Nov 20 by Esox_Lucius

The people who included Vitas Gerulaitas in a song title?

Very true.

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 14:31 - Nov 20 with 1162 viewsBlackCrowe

Track 4

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 14:57 - Nov 20 with 1145 viewsqprxtc

1/8

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 14:59 - Nov 20 with 1144 viewsqprxtc

2/8

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:01 - Nov 20 with 1142 viewsqprxtc

3/8

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:03 - Nov 20 with 1139 viewsqprxtc

4/8

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:06 - Nov 20 with 1134 viewsqprxtc

5/8

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:12 - Nov 20 with 1129 viewsqprxtc

6/8

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:14 - Nov 20 with 1128 viewsqprxtc

7/8

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:17 - Nov 20 with 1126 viewsqprxtc

8/8

There you is.
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:35 - Nov 20 with 1117 viewslondonscottish

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 13:56 - Nov 20 by SonofNorfolt

Very true.

I was 14 when that came out. It blew my mind when I first heard it. But then again there are some proper muso's in that band.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:44 - Nov 20 with 1110 viewsqprxtc

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:24 - Nov 20 by SonofNorfolt

Good one.

For some reason reminds me of this. Underrated band.

Supergrass were a great band and that's my favourite song of theirs.
The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 15:44 - Nov 20 with 1110 viewsR_from_afar

The LFW Desert Island Discs Thread on 12:59 - Nov 20 by R_from_afar

Man, I am running short of choices - good thing too, I hear you cry - but here's my in no way diminished fifth. Senescent rock fans may find themselves overcome by a tidal wave of nostalgia.

A bit of a half-hearted performance, don't you think? Surely the bloke could manage to play at least three brass instruments all at once? Very poor

RFA

Now we are six and this one is not some massive band everyone, or most of you, know but a collection of amateur musicians from Ipswich who manage to create inventive - and distinctive - instrumental rock music which is sometimes symphonic, sometimes eerie and haunting. It's East Anglian folklore and myths set to music. I think they deserve a plug, particularly as their guitarist actually bothered to respond when I sent him a message on Twitter

RFA

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024