Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Messageboard Theory 10:08 - Nov 30 with 14262 viewsAntti_Heinola

As we're all quite happy (at least until the meltdown after tomorrow's inevitable 1-0 defeat), I've been developing a theory about this MB.

Is it me, or is it a much nicer, friendlier place to be than it was a few years ago? There are discussions, but nasty ones are now few and far between (not eradicated completely). Even me and paulparker agree on about 90% of stuff these days.

Why is it? I'm thinking it could be age. We're all getting older and the young blood isn't coming through. The young firebrands and tyros spill their utter nonsense on social media instead. I think that's good. We may be getting older here, but it's a haven of relative sanity.

But does that mean LFW will one day wither, like an old Rotary Club?

Bare bones.

Messageboard Theory on 10:18 - Nov 30 with 10476 viewsdaveB

Age probably comes into it but the nasty stuff all happens on social media now where it's rare to post anything about QPR without being called several names and told you are wrong.
Messageboard Theory on 10:35 - Nov 30 with 10440 viewsfrancisbowles

Funny, I was just thinking this morning how much more civilised it's been on here lately and where are the WUMs these days, Morgantwin, SpiritofGregory etc.? I know banned or given up.

Age, not much too complain about and a gradual realisation of the realities of life in the Championship with FFP restrictions, I believe are the other reasons.

We do need to keep this site going though, so we should encourage new blood to read Clive's previews and match reports. They will soon be hooked.
Messageboard Theory on 11:01 - Nov 30 with 10393 viewsDorse

The reason I like this MB so much is that everyone is pretty open. We all use avatars and made-up names (I even wear a false moustache to hide my true identity) but the person on the page is basically the person behind the keyboard. There have been some, frankly, heartbreaking revelations written on here by people who have no reason to share them with us, other than we have a shared addiction to the pain of supporting QPR. The responses to them, whether in public or via PM have shown the calibre of the people here.

I don't think it is just an age thing (I am only 9), I think it is a self-selecting group that responds well to respectful interaction.

Cheese fascism apart, we are a pretty decent bunch.

Primula IS cheese!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Messageboard Theory on 11:04 - Nov 30 with 10386 viewsJuzzie

It's probably civilised because the team is doing really well. When we're doing shite that' when it gets nasty.

Didn't someone then starting a thread the other night about immigrants which, thankfully, got removed.
Messageboard Theory on 11:05 - Nov 30 with 10381 viewsRs_Holy

Love this messageboard. Some of the non footy stuff is enlightening and interesting. Its also a good place to get advice on non footy stuff!
Clives match reports are simply better than any others anywhere... and thats a fact!
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 12:05]
Messageboard Theory on 11:05 - Nov 30 with 10378 viewsMick_S

"I don't think it is just an age thing" (I am only 9).

What do you want for Christmas this year?
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 11:06]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Messageboard Theory on 11:11 - Nov 30 with 10349 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good point, Antti.

I think you're right. There's less WUM's, for a start. There's also less people falling out - about politics, for instance. I think most people are still speaking their minds but not hammering their opinions home.

Mostly, though, I think we've just got to know each other better and there's more trust. Whereas years ago, I might have read a post I disagreed with, got defensive and thought it was aimed at me, now my natural reaction is to think "fair enough, well, I won't change his/her mind!" and just breeze on.

Aw shucks, you guys!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Messageboard Theory on 11:15 - Nov 30 with 10326 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Messageboard Theory on 11:05 - Nov 30 by Mick_S

"I don't think it is just an age thing" (I am only 9).

What do you want for Christmas this year?
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 11:06]

I’m not falling for that again!
Login to get fewer ads

Messageboard Theory (n/t) on 11:17 - Nov 30 with 10315 viewsAntti_Heinola

Messageboard Theory on 11:11 - Nov 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Good point, Antti.

I think you're right. There's less WUM's, for a start. There's also less people falling out - about politics, for instance. I think most people are still speaking their minds but not hammering their opinions home.

Mostly, though, I think we've just got to know each other better and there's more trust. Whereas years ago, I might have read a post I disagreed with, got defensive and thought it was aimed at me, now my natural reaction is to think "fair enough, well, I won't change his/her mind!" and just breeze on.

Aw shucks, you guys!

I LOVE YOU MAN!
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 11:17]

Bare bones.

Messageboard Theory on 11:25 - Nov 30 with 10285 viewsCroydonCaptJack

This is a great site. The QPR stuff is generally great and the OT stuff is brilliant particularly the music stuff.

It has mellowed but I guess everybody's got to live together eh.

Messageboard Theory (n/t) on 11:36 - Nov 30 with 10254 viewsDiscodroids

[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 11:45]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Messageboard Theory on 12:06 - Nov 30 with 10168 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

On the spirit of good will to all men, what happened to that Kurdish refugee thread?
Messageboard Theory on 12:27 - Nov 30 with 10112 viewsMick_S

All round Disco's house.

Messageboard Theory on 12:32 - Nov 30 with 10096 viewsDiscodroids

Messageboard Theory on 12:27 - Nov 30 by Mick_S

All round Disco's house.

You'll have to be quick Mick, I'm off to the crooked Billet in a minute for a few ales of distinction then to see the leigh on sea christmas lights being turned on.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Messageboard Theory on 12:33 - Nov 30 with 10091 viewsMick_S

Messageboard Theory on 12:32 - Nov 30 by Discodroids

You'll have to be quick Mick, I'm off to the crooked Billet in a minute for a few ales of distinction then to see the leigh on sea christmas lights being turned on.

Happiest place in the world, I hear?

Messageboard Theory on 12:38 - Nov 30 with 10073 viewsDiscodroids

Messageboard Theory on 12:33 - Nov 30 by Mick_S

So they say, Mick, it's all a load of old bollocks really.

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2018-11-29/leigh-on-sea-essex-is-the-best-place-
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 12:39]

Messageboard Theory on 12:38 - Nov 30 with 10076 viewsloftboy

Messageboard Theory on 12:06 - Nov 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

On the spirit of good will to all men, what happened to that Kurdish refugee thread?

Was wondering the same, went to bed and there was some opposing opinions on it but no one got offensive, woke up in the morning and it had gone. Probably in hindsight not the best thread I’ve started but was on a high emotion having watched the report on the news, still don’t understand that having got their kids to safety they would risk crossing the channel in a dingy.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Messageboard Theory on 12:47 - Nov 30 with 10046 viewssimmo

Get to fúck.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Messageboard Theory on 12:51 - Nov 30 with 10030 viewsrobith

I'd definitely say it's familiarity. There's poster who I've had blow ups with before that end up with arguments that go nowhere, where as now they know what I think and are unlikely to fundamentally alter it too much, and vice versa. You learn how to exchange views without bothering a volcano of rage out of yourself.

Though I still manage it very now and then because I'm a hot headed weirdo.
Messageboard Theory on 13:06 - Nov 30 with 9989 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Getting older.

and 'we are Negan.'

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Messageboard Theory on 13:10 - Nov 30 with 9974 viewsMick_S

"Scooting down the Uxbridge Road"...

Messageboard Theory on 13:25 - Nov 30 with 9924 viewsR_from_afar

Messageboard Theory on 12:32 - Nov 30 by Discodroids

"To see the leigh on sea christmas lights being turned on": Aren't you the celeb entrusted with that solemn and momentous act, Disco? You'd certainly do a much better job than some former TOWIE "star" currently trying to drum up support for their miracle weight loss vegetable juice drink.

I expect we may regress a little on here when McClaren puts out a weakened side, with three wingers playing as defensive midfielders, for the FA Cup, but yeah, it has calmed down a bit. There will always be disagreements but that's fine as long as things remain civil.

I have to say that whilst the footie threads are great, the off topic stuff is very illuminating and frequently side-splitting. Keep it up!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Messageboard Theory on 13:25 - Nov 30 with 9922 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Messageboard Theory on 12:33 - Nov 30 by Mick_S

Meanwhile, in Croydon :(
Messageboard Theory on 13:36 - Nov 30 with 9885 viewsMick_S

Messageboard Theory on 13:25 - Nov 30 by CroydonCaptJack

Meanwhile, in Croydon :(

Messageboard Theory on 14:55 - Nov 30 with 9772 viewsthame_hoops

I blame Brighton and Blob :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024