Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What were you scared of as a kid? 16:20 - Dec 5 with 17317 viewsKonk

My 4 year old son has developed a fear of foxes. No idea why. It might be Mr Todd from Peter Rabbit, but he watches that quite happily, so I'm not sure. I've explained that foxes are scared of humans, smaller than him, can't open doors/windows, don't have a set of our keys etc, but he's not convinced. So every night, he's now hiding under his duvet. Being a clever t wat, I went on YouTube and showed him a video of some bloke who's tamed a number of foxes, he was rolling round with them, stroking them etc; see, they're not scary. I thought this would do the job, but my son perceptively pointed out that the foxes in the video didn't look very scared of humans, so they may well sneak into his bedroom after all. Balls.

I'm not sure how to crack this one, and I don't want him to be anxious/scared. Until the fox thing, we'd be doing fine. As a kid, I was scared of dinosaurs because I wasn't entirely convinced they were extinct and when I asked my Mum, she just said there may well be dinosaurs out there somewhere, but we'd probably hear them in time to run away. Cheers.

I was then completely paranoid about nuclear war from about six to eleven, and used to get seriously stressed out about being away from my family when the four minute warning was sounded. And I wasn't convinced we even had a siren round our way, which didn't help either. My best case scenario, was us having just got home from the Chippy, sat round the table with my Nan and Grandad, most of the way through my scampi and chips and the bomb being dropped. And I'm an optimist by nature. This stressed me out because we only had fish and chips on a Friday, so I was relying on the Soviets bombing us on a Friday at about 5pm. Getting during school swimming or something would have been rubbish.

Running alongside my constant fear of nuclear holocaust for a couple of years was a fear of werewolves, which lasted until I was about ten, having seen the 'Thriller' video and watched bits of 'An American werewolf in London' from behind a cushion round my mate's house. I used to check the lunar cycle in my Mum's diary to make sure I was at home on Full moons, and for a short time, because I shared a room with my brother, I would try and stay awake as long as possible to make sure he wasn't a werewolf. Which thankfully, he wasn't. I was even scared of 'Manimal' FFS!

Was I just a massive bed wetter as a kid, or did everyone else worry about nuclear war, dinosaurs and sharing bunks with a werewolf? I was also scared of the Muppets, Dr Who and Star Trek. I'm hoping my son has a less anxious time, but he'll probably inherit his Mum's fear of balloons, dogs and fireworks. What were you scared of as a kid?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

What were you scared of as a kid? on 10:40 - Dec 6 with 2214 viewsKonk

What were you scared of as a kid? on 10:29 - Dec 6 by Dorse

Oddly enough, I got a bit scared of being on boats as a kid. Not the little ones or canoes but really big ones like ferries and the like. I think it stemmed from watching old war movies where a battleship / carrier gets torpedoed and sinks: I always thought about what it might be like to be one of the poor sods at the bottom of the ship who couldn't get out.

Oh yeah. I can't watch anything on the telly to do with people drowning and I get proper panic attacks whenever someone's being buried alive (I'm a bit claustrophobic). I think it was Blood Simple that got me going on that one.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

What were you scared of as a kid? on 10:55 - Dec 6 with 2196 viewsMetallica_Hoop

What were you scared of as a kid? on 08:47 - Dec 6 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not scared of heights, I don't think....

I get vertigo so I get dizzy. Then I'm naturally scared of falling.

Is that the same thing? Am I a scaredy-cat?

I looked it up once it's your body getting confused and sending conflicting messages which lead to dizzy/shaky legs.

It's quite interesting.

https://bigthink.com/stephen-johnson/study-explains-that-strange-urge-to-jump-wh

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

What were you scared of as a kid? on 11:26 - Dec 6 with 2163 viewsDeepcutHoop

I was terrified of buzzing things particularly in case they were bees or wasps.

Was the same with spiders too.

After i picked up a camera and cheap macro lens while on holiday, and started getting fascinated and got closer and closer as i wanted more details.

Now I actively seek out bugs to photograph, a few layers of glass make you braver, but mainly learning about the invert world allays most concerns, watching behaviours and the reading involved shows how little they care about people. A fascinating and often vicious world nonetheless.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 11:30 - Dec 6 with 2160 viewsPhildo

Lifts - though managed to overcome this in the 80s when with mates throwing bangers in the lifts at the now demolished Kings Mall car park. Also pissed adults as there seemed to be more of these in the 70s and a lot of them were driving cars around iin a very dangerous manner.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 11:43 - Dec 6 with 2134 viewsLongsufferingR

The keyboard player out of Sparks
What were you scared of as a kid? on 11:44 - Dec 6 with 2132 viewsGalileo

Snakes and still to this day. Managed to stumble across a nest of adders when larking about in a field near my cousins place in Northolt in the 70s, scared the living daylights out of me. Cant even look at one on the TV and for those who put them around their necks... not for any money thanks.

Heights. Always got jelly knees when trying to impress by jumping off top board. Could never contemplate diving.

Flying ants. Not scared as such just find them very annoying and unnecessary. Upon sight I seek out the nest and deposit boiling water which sorts them out and calms me down.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 11:45 - Dec 6 with 2129 viewsMick_S

What were you scared of as a kid? on 11:43 - Dec 6 by LongsufferingR

The keyboard player out of Sparks

There are a few thousand in Sheffield that would agree.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

What were you scared of as a kid? on 11:54 - Dec 6 with 2111 viewsDiscodroids

The 'Protect and survive' early '80s government education short Films had me shitting out my ringpiece .

Unsettling 1970's Public information films which seemed to me to have a very eastern Bloc/ strength through joy vibe.

John Hurt as Quentin Crisp in 'The Naked Civil Servant'

The first two episodes of Star Trek Tv Series 1965/6 featuring Captain Christopher Pike in his brainwave-operated wheelchair.. No Longer Handsome but Now grey, Mute and scarred and communicating through a light on the chair: one flash meaning "yes" and two flashes indicating "no".

Alien Invasion.

1970's Kids from Canning Town/Plaistow or Custom House . The East End Version of the 'Ducky Boys' from the Film, 'The Wanderers'

Fanny Craddock.

Quatermass - 'RingStone Round'. Tv Series Late 70's.

Theme tune to 'Picture Box'

Max Wall

Jimmy Jewel and Hylda Baker (Nelly Pledge). 1970's Light entertainment Fred and Rose west

the Closing theme of 'World In action', featuring the hammond organ which encapsulated 1970's poverty/ Desolation/ strikes/ nuclear war/ Famine etc etc

Terry Thomas getting hit over the head with a hammer and dissected into neat Kilner Jar by his wife in the early 70's film, 'The Vault Of Horror'.

Rabies, Triggered by a Tv series in the late 70's early 80's which i can't recall the name of.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 12:57]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Login to get fewer ads

What were you scared of as a kid? on 12:29 - Dec 6 with 2061 viewslondonscottish

What were you scared of as a kid? on 11:54 - Dec 6 by Discodroids

The 'Protect and survive' early '80s government education short Films had me shitting out my ringpiece .

Unsettling 1970's Public information films which seemed to me to have a very eastern Bloc/ strength through joy vibe.

The first two episodes of Star Trek Tv Series 1965/6 featuring Captain Christopher Pike in his brainwave-operated wheelchair.. No Longer Handsome but Now grey, Mute and scarred and communicating through a light on the chair: one flash meaning "yes" and two flashes indicating "no".

Alien Invasion.

1970's Kids from Canning Town/Plaistow or Custom House . The East End Version of the 'Ducky Boys' from the Film, 'The Wanderers'

Fanny Craddock.

Max Wall

Jimmy Jewel and Hylda Baker (Nelly Pledge). 1970's Light entertainment Fred and Rose west

the Closing theme of 'World In action', featuring the hammond organ which encapsulated 1970's poverty/ Desolation/ strikes/ nuclear war/ Famine etc etc

Terry Thomas getting hit over the head with a hammer and dissected into neat Kilner Jar by his wife in the early 70's film, 'The Vault Of Horror'.

Rabies, Triggered by a Tv series in the late 70's early 80's which i can't recall the name of.

"Fanny Craddock". LOL.

Something else that used to make me feel really uneasy was the orginal 70's version of The Survivors.

All very post-apocalyptic and creepy. I was aged 11 when it first aired. Shudder.

"As the world's population is almost annihilated by a mysterious pandemic, accidentally unleashed by a Chinese scientist, the crisis is first seen through the eyes of two characters–Jenny Richards, a young working woman in London, and Abby Grant, a middle-class corporate wife living a comfortable existence in a suburban commuter village. As Abby goes in search of her son Peter, who was away at school when the pandemic occurred, Jenny wanders aimlessly through the countryside."

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:02 - Dec 6 with 2021 viewsR_from_afar

What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:44 - Dec 5 by MrSheen

Alsatians. When I was about 5, one down the road jumped up and knocked an ice cream out of my hand. I’d cry with fear when I saw one until I was about 11. Still don’t like them.

My youngest daughter saw the trailer for Sweeney Todd when she was about seven, and developed a real terror of it. She never stopped asking us if he was still around, and my wife had to cut her hair.

I also used to be afraid of Alsatians, other big dogs too. I think I'm now over it. One time, after I had just finished playing cricket on the local green, an Alsatian attacked me. I'm not sure why I was so frightened, I was carrying a bag of cricket kit, so I was in fact armed to the teeth!

My dad, I was also scared of him. He'd bare his teeth in my face when he was cross with me. It was terrifying but the memory of it has become quite poignant because the poor old chap is now quite frail.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:26 - Dec 6 with 1991 viewsheadhoops

Moles and Horses.

was bitten by both as a 5 year old. Fortunately you don't see many moles anymore. Still avoid horses which has probably saved me a fortune at the bookies.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:27 - Dec 6 with 1989 viewsCiderwithRsie

What were you scared of as a kid? on 07:06 - Dec 6 by Konk

Makaveli1882 - Fox and the Hound - good suggestion, that. I'll try and dig it out. Last night, I told him about foxes routinely sh itting on our wheelie bin lid when we lived in London and he thinks they might have been trying to climb on the bin to get in the window. I think I'm gonna let my wife take over from now on.

Simmo - I am still am absolute shi t merchant when it comes to horror or anything involving the occult/supernatural. You're not alone. I can't handle gore, but anything involving the supernatural freaks me out big time.

Just remembered that Triffids scared the fu ck out of me, and I used to have a deep fear of the countryside. We'd be sitting eating our sandwiches on a hillside in Wales or somewhere and my Dad would be talking about how nice the view was, and all I was thinking, sat there in my cagoule, was how exposed we'd be if some nutter crept up and started attacking us. Used to hate going to stay at my Auntie's bungalow in rural Berks because I was convinced we were all going to be butchered as soon as the Sun went down. Watching Deliverance didn't help much either. Still not 100% convinced by the countryside at night.

You wouldn't believe it, but I did actually have a really happy childhood!

The countryside is scary and full of nutters who might creep up and slaughter you as soon as the sun goes down, that's just a fact. But so long as you are willing to join in the local community and respect traditions you're OK.

Once you've slaughtered your first townie and joined in round the wicker man you'll find you fit right in. Just remember to shag the landlord's daughter if she offers as a refusal often offends.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:30 - Dec 6 with 1987 viewsMrSheen

What were you scared of as a kid? on 11:54 - Dec 6 by Discodroids

Alien Invasion.

Fanny Craddock.

Max Wall

One of those public information films was about the dangers of crossing the road. It cut between kids larking about in the road and a ruthless killer, pitilessly bearing down on them. Eventually if claimed its victims. This terrifying weapon of destruction was a half-timbered Morris Minor Traveller. Every time my brother and I saw one, we'd nudge each other and share a look of horror.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 13:31]
What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:09 - Dec 6 with 1936 viewsHantsR

What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:30 - Dec 6 by MrSheen

One of those public information films was about the dangers of crossing the road. It cut between kids larking about in the road and a ruthless killer, pitilessly bearing down on them. Eventually if claimed its victims. This terrifying weapon of destruction was a half-timbered Morris Minor Traveller. Every time my brother and I saw one, we'd nudge each other and share a look of horror.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 13:31]

Ha Ha I used to drive one of those cars - don't really know people loved them so much as mine gave me so much trouble . It was a rust bucket and had never really been maintained when I bought it, to be fair. My wife beat the buyer down to £32.50 when she sold it for me.

I laughed at the half-timbered reference as I first heard that said by Dame Edna when she visited Stratford on Avon and remarked on the half-timbered cottages, then saw a MM Traveller and said, 'Oh look, there goes a half-timbered car!
What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:21 - Dec 6 with 1915 viewsBluce_Ree

When I was 5 or something my mum put a small painting in my room of a rock in some water. Fine, except that to me I thought it was the thumb of a giant sticking out of the sea and was freaked out. Mum had to remove it.

She also had a painting that she did of a friend who looked like a scarier Grace Jones. I didn't like that much.

The song and video for The Wall by Pink Floyd. Maybe not scared but it makes me uneasy. I absolutely hate listening to it and it killed Floyd for me entirely.

We had a first aid book. I was fking terrified of that. It had a thing where part of someone's iris was detached from their eyeball. How's that even possible?! I don't think it is. Rubbish book.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:28 - Dec 6 with 1905 viewsDiscodroids

As a Kid, My Colon would drop out on the threadbare carpet of Our East Ham council house in sheer terror every xmas when this was played on the radio .

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:33 - Dec 6 with 1900 viewswestberksr

a tales of the unexpected episode involving a werewolf scared me shiteless for months. Still don't watch horror films; hate the genre!

never liked the dark particularly

spiders (still to some extent) and creepy crawlies.

the documentary about nuclear war; seriously made me think the the end of the world was nigh. Images of the Thames boiling and the radiation blast spreading. Actually living on the edge of West London made it seem worse as the programme assumed a central London hit. I'd rather it was over and done with immediately rather than horrible burns and a drawn out death!

Then the animation, think it was called 'when the wind blows' would have done for the next generation.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:51 - Dec 6 with 1882 viewsMaggsinho

What were you scared of as a kid? on 10:29 - Dec 6 by Dorse

Oddly enough, I got a bit scared of being on boats as a kid. Not the little ones or canoes but really big ones like ferries and the like. I think it stemmed from watching old war movies where a battleship / carrier gets torpedoed and sinks: I always thought about what it might be like to be one of the poor sods at the bottom of the ship who couldn't get out.

I was OK going on ships but shipwrecks still turn my stomach, even just seeing the propeller or the exposed hull of a ship makes me uneasy, I remember walking through a shipyard with lots of boats out of the water when I was a kid and I couldn't wait to get out.

I was also terrified of lifts when I was a kid, I had an operation in Hammersmith Hospital when I was about eight and remember being on the way to theatre safe in the knowledge that my bed would never fit in a lift when much to my horror they wheeled me, bed and all straight into one.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:53 - Dec 6 with 1880 viewsTacticalR

What were you scared of as a kid? on 21:44 - Dec 5 by FDC

Good thread!

I was absolutely terrified of Tim Curry's Pennywise in the (early 90s?) It miniseries. Christ alive, I didn't sleep for months after watching that, turns out I have a phobia of clowns, possibly stemming from when my mum took to the circus as a two year old and one of the maniacs came up to me in the audience.

Incidentally I thought the recent feature film was good fun but Pennywise, predictably, was nothing like as terrifying.

Also, AIDS and needles, I think because of the TV campaigns in the 80s warning about sharing needles. I was convinced someone was going to run up to me and inject me with AIDS.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2018 21:49]

Very few people were able to see through the AIDs panic at the time because it had support from all quarters and seemed to be outside politics.

There was one advert that Geldof did that was shown in cinemas where he was standing in a crowded pub and said in so many years this many people will be dead, and then in so many years this many people will be dead, and so on, until he ended up standing in the pub on his own. I would love to find a copy of that ad.

Air hostess clique

What were you scared of as a kid? on 15:02 - Dec 6 with 1864 viewsBluce_Ree

What were you scared of as a kid? on 21:12 - Dec 5 by Rangersw12

The girls in the shining

I watched the film as a 8 year old with my older brother and they scared me for years !

Them and that fking floaty vampire boy in Salem's Lot. FUUUUUUU!

I was afraid of the band The Meteors for some reason. Well, the reason is my brother who is also on this forum. I can't remember why. I think he deliberately made them seem frightening (because he's an older brother) as opposed to what they are which was an fairly normal psychobilly band. Make of that what you will.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 15:02 - Dec 6 with 1862 viewsted_hendrix

What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:27 - Dec 6 by CiderwithRsie

The countryside is scary and full of nutters who might creep up and slaughter you as soon as the sun goes down, that's just a fact. But so long as you are willing to join in the local community and respect traditions you're OK.

Once you've slaughtered your first townie and joined in round the wicker man you'll find you fit right in. Just remember to shag the landlord's daughter if she offers as a refusal often offends.

*Once you've slaughtered your first townie and joined in round the wicker man you'll find you fit right in. Just remember to shag the landlord's daughter if she offers as a refusal often offends.*

We've been living in a West Berkshire village now for nigh on 40 years, the landlords daughter in the village pub has a bit of a beard and when she sneezes it makes the same sound as a wildebeest that's just hanging around in a herd of other wildebeests waiting to be chased by a pack of lions, I cant describe the sound other than its a sort of "gnnnaaaa-gnnnaaa" noise.

She's a scary woman (not married either)

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 15:15 - Dec 6 with 1844 viewsBoston

What were you scared of as a kid? on 14:53 - Dec 6 by TacticalR

Very few people were able to see through the AIDs panic at the time because it had support from all quarters and seemed to be outside politics.

There was one advert that Geldof did that was shown in cinemas where he was standing in a crowded pub and said in so many years this many people will be dead, and then in so many years this many people will be dead, and so on, until he ended up standing in the pub on his own. I would love to find a copy of that ad.

It never took long for Geldof to clear a pub at any time.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 15:48 - Dec 6 with 1815 viewsHantsR

When young I was OK with flying... but terrified about crashing.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 15:49 - Dec 6 with 1813 viewsLongsufferingR

What were you scared of as a kid? on 13:26 - Dec 6 by headhoops

Moles and Horses.

was bitten by both as a 5 year old. Fortunately you don't see many moles anymore. Still avoid horses which has probably saved me a fortune at the bookies.

Anything else or Only Moles And Horses?
What were you scared of as a kid? on 15:58 - Dec 6 with 1793 viewsMick_S

What were you scared of as a kid? on 15:49 - Dec 6 by LongsufferingR

Anything else or Only Moles And Horses?

Triffik.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024