Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What were you scared of as a kid? 16:20 - Dec 5 with 17465 viewsKonk

My 4 year old son has developed a fear of foxes. No idea why. It might be Mr Todd from Peter Rabbit, but he watches that quite happily, so I'm not sure. I've explained that foxes are scared of humans, smaller than him, can't open doors/windows, don't have a set of our keys etc, but he's not convinced. So every night, he's now hiding under his duvet. Being a clever t wat, I went on YouTube and showed him a video of some bloke who's tamed a number of foxes, he was rolling round with them, stroking them etc; see, they're not scary. I thought this would do the job, but my son perceptively pointed out that the foxes in the video didn't look very scared of humans, so they may well sneak into his bedroom after all. Balls.

I'm not sure how to crack this one, and I don't want him to be anxious/scared. Until the fox thing, we'd be doing fine. As a kid, I was scared of dinosaurs because I wasn't entirely convinced they were extinct and when I asked my Mum, she just said there may well be dinosaurs out there somewhere, but we'd probably hear them in time to run away. Cheers.

I was then completely paranoid about nuclear war from about six to eleven, and used to get seriously stressed out about being away from my family when the four minute warning was sounded. And I wasn't convinced we even had a siren round our way, which didn't help either. My best case scenario, was us having just got home from the Chippy, sat round the table with my Nan and Grandad, most of the way through my scampi and chips and the bomb being dropped. And I'm an optimist by nature. This stressed me out because we only had fish and chips on a Friday, so I was relying on the Soviets bombing us on a Friday at about 5pm. Getting during school swimming or something would have been rubbish.

Running alongside my constant fear of nuclear holocaust for a couple of years was a fear of werewolves, which lasted until I was about ten, having seen the 'Thriller' video and watched bits of 'An American werewolf in London' from behind a cushion round my mate's house. I used to check the lunar cycle in my Mum's diary to make sure I was at home on Full moons, and for a short time, because I shared a room with my brother, I would try and stay awake as long as possible to make sure he wasn't a werewolf. Which thankfully, he wasn't. I was even scared of 'Manimal' FFS!

Was I just a massive bed wetter as a kid, or did everyone else worry about nuclear war, dinosaurs and sharing bunks with a werewolf? I was also scared of the Muppets, Dr Who and Star Trek. I'm hoping my son has a less anxious time, but he'll probably inherit his Mum's fear of balloons, dogs and fireworks. What were you scared of as a kid?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

What were you scared of as a kid? on 16:21 - Dec 5 with 8712 viewsTheChef

E.T.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

What were you scared of as a kid? on 16:32 - Dec 5 with 8683 viewskingo

Foxes for me too, never got over Joey Walters scoring those 2 goals on his debut in the Quarter Final. Haunts me to this day.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

What were you scared of as a kid? on 16:34 - Dec 5 with 8678 viewssimmo

I'm a bit of a scaredy cat, I don't remember specific phobias but didn't like the dark much and after my dad made me watch Childs Play to 'toughen me up', I can't watch ANYTHING spooky. The clip of the House on Haunting Hill or whatever that they showed through Gogglebox absolutely killed me the other week.

Also I love this - "I thought this would do the job, but my son perceptively pointed out that the foxes in the video didn't look very scared of humans, so they may well sneak into his bedroom after all. Balls." - kids are fckers for that, always seeing things in a way you don't expect.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

What were you scared of as a kid? on 16:41 - Dec 5 with 8655 viewsaston_hoop

I was always terrified of snails. There is no justifying that of course, what exactly could they do to me? But simple reason and logic go out of the window here. I still can't stand the slimy useless buggers.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:00 - Dec 5 with 8612 viewsmakaveli1882

This is the most Foolham thing ever

On a serious note hope the boy grows out of it, have you tried Disney's The fox and the hound dvd? may help show a softer side of foxes.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2018 17:01]
What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:02 - Dec 5 with 8601 viewsstevec

Used to be terrified Alan Spratley couldn’t reach the cross bar.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:04 - Dec 5 with 8598 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Millwall.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:06 - Dec 5 with 8593 viewslondonscottish

I was born in 64 and grew up annoyingly close to a naval base with nuclear subs so spent much of the 70's and early 80's terrified of nuclear armageddon. It felt very real and imminent.

In 1983 a very normal and rational friend of mine woke up in his flat in a quiet street in Edinburgh hearing a proper air raid siren going off. There were no cars and no pedestrians (and this was long before mobiles and the internet) and he utterly shat himself. He was 17 at the time.

Meanwhile my kid at the age of 4 or 5 started getting night horrors about some bloke with ice pick hands who could climb up the outside wall and get him.

I suspect one of his older cousins let him watch some film or other he shouldn't have.

But there was literally no explaining it away. The thought terrified him for a good few months.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2018 17:08]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:15 - Dec 5 with 8571 viewslondonscottish

What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:02 - Dec 5 by stevec

Used to be terrified Alan Spratley couldn’t reach the cross bar.

Any number of Scotland goalkeepers but especially Allan Rough.

And Doctor Who.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:21 - Dec 5 with 8566 viewsted_hendrix

When Alfred Hitchcock appeared on the old black and white television thing and started to speak,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:26 - Dec 5 with 8548 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Prior to his nonsing being well known, Jimmy Saville scared the shit out of me as a kid.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 17:35 - Dec 5 with 8534 viewsloftboy

Train level crossings, my neighbours dad knew this and when I was in his car would pretend to stall as we were crossing them. Also heights.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What were you scared of as a kid? on 18:06 - Dec 5 with 8499 viewsEsox_Lucius

Mine was of both Harry Redknapp & Joey Barton being employed by QPR.

(Deep sea and the Ocean... still am)

The grass is always greener.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 18:07 - Dec 5 with 8497 viewsLythamR

Cybermen

not the shiney modern variety

The grainy black and white ones William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton had to deal with, didnt like them at all and wasnt keen on Daleks either but it was the Cybermen who i thought we coming to get me
What were you scared of as a kid? on 18:26 - Dec 5 with 8468 viewseccles

Quicksand did it for me.
They used to run old Tarzan programmes on a Saturday morning when I was about 10.
Seemed to me that every other week, some poor fella ended his days slowly sinking into the sludge until all that was left of him was a hand straining every sinew until that finally disappeared too. Scared me senseless! My 10 year old self couldn't imagine a worse way to go.
Fortunately, I didn't encounter too much quicksand in Hounslow where I was dragged up.

45 years later and I still cant watch it.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 18:42 - Dec 5 with 8456 viewsflynnbo

What were you scared of as a kid? on 18:07 - Dec 5 by LythamR

Cybermen

The grainy black and white ones William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton had to deal with, didnt like them at all and wasnt keen on Daleks either but it was the Cybermen who i thought we coming to get me

The Sea Monsters did it for me. Also, Hitchcock's The Birds.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 18:59 - Dec 5 with 8434 viewsSimonJames

In was in a tunnel collapse when I was 8, so claustrophobia.
I was also stuck in a windowless 5ftx5ft industrial lift (on night shift) for about 4 hours before anyone heard me.
So I don't get in lifts, I don't go in caves, and I severely dislike road tunnels.

100% of people who drink water will die.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:18 - Dec 5 with 8420 viewsPunteR

There was a tv program which was in 2 parts i think, that came out in the very early 80s that freaked me out as a little kid. I dont remember the name of it but had shapeshifting aliens, jesus christ and 2 moons orbiting around the earth. It wasnt 'V' but something like that.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:20 - Dec 5 with 8417 viewsTacticalR

Cybermen. They were a bit more mobile than Daleks.

Air hostess clique

What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:44 - Dec 5 with 8385 viewsMrSheen

Alsatians. When I was about 5, one down the road jumped up and knocked an ice cream out of my hand. I’d cry with fear when I saw one until I was about 11. Still don’t like them.

My youngest daughter saw the trailer for Sweeney Todd when she was about seven, and developed a real terror of it. She never stopped asking us if he was still around, and my wife had to cut her hair.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:46 - Dec 5 with 8380 viewslongbottom

Charlie Drake. Creepy little cxxt.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:48 - Dec 5 with 8375 viewsMrSheen

What were you scared of as a kid? on 18:26 - Dec 5 by eccles

Quicksand did it for me.
They used to run old Tarzan programmes on a Saturday morning when I was about 10.
Seemed to me that every other week, some poor fella ended his days slowly sinking into the sludge until all that was left of him was a hand straining every sinew until that finally disappeared too. Scared me senseless! My 10 year old self couldn't imagine a worse way to go.
Fortunately, I didn't encounter too much quicksand in Hounslow where I was dragged up.

45 years later and I still cant watch it.

You’re right about quicksand. A huge favourite of film makers in the 60s, doesn’t get a look in these days. Same goes for giant clams. They were everywhere, I expected to see them in King Edward’s pool in Willesden.
What were you scared of as a kid? on 20:02 - Dec 5 with 8367 viewsloftboy

What were you scared of as a kid? on 18:07 - Dec 5 by LythamR

Cybermen

Forgot about them, I literally hid behind the sofa when they were on, only dalek that freaked me out was davros.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What were you scared of as a kid? on 20:33 - Dec 5 with 8311 viewstoboboly

What were you scared of as a kid? on 19:48 - Dec 5 by MrSheen

You’re right about quicksand. A huge favourite of film makers in the 60s, doesn’t get a look in these days. Same goes for giant clams. They were everywhere, I expected to see them in King Edward’s pool in Willesden.

Giant clans are on the brink due to hunting, pollution and a killer parasite;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&hl=en-gb&ei=lzUIXL_DJqeW1fAP2oyUwA

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

What were you scared of as a kid? on 20:51 - Dec 5 with 8290 viewsMonahoop

When William Hartnell morphed into Patrick Troughton in Dr Who all those years ago. I freaked. I still do at the thought of it. Heck!!

I was also disturbed by the whining noise of London tube trains as a small kid, especially those old red ones. Used to cover my ears in total fear.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024