Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban 11:16 - Dec 6 with 6567 viewspaesanu

Thank Christ. If my kid has to be subjected to Ray's odds one more time during a match I'd have to invent new swear words.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/06/gambling-firms-back-live-sports-

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 13:38 - Dec 8 with 1240 viewsPinnerPaul

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 09:25 - Dec 8 by daveB

thing is ads on tv are heavily regulated, i work in that area and each programme is checked for it's audience, if shows are aimed at viewers under the age of 18 then gambling and booze ads don't run around them. We even go as far as checking content of the programmes so if a documentary features an alcoholic we don't run alcohol ads around it, every compliant we get from viewers about the juxtaposition of commercials to programmes is taken seriously and looked into and it's safe to say gambling ads around the world cup provoked a few complaints.

Sport is a bit of a grey area in that it's not aimed at under 18's and is mainly watched by Adult men with a lot of the live games on terrestrial tv tending to be at night but due to how big the World Cup was it's probably best that we self regulate a bit more and this is a step in the right direction even though

It won't solve Britain's gambling problems just like banning cigarette advertising didn't stop people smoking but it won't hurt either.

BTW BBC say all sport EXCEPT horseracing, so not just football - according to them anyway
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 13:48 - Dec 8 with 1236 viewsPinnerPaul

Ok my final point

Drink related deaths in the UK in a year - about 7,500

Drug poisoning deaths - about 3,500

Traffic deaths - nearly 2,000

Gambling related deaths? - about 6,000 suicides in the UK - IF, its a big if, 1% of those related to gambling and I very very much doubt its that high that equals 60

One untimely death is one too many, but when you consider all the deaths through disease etc as well, I do think the government should be looking at about a 100 areas before the 'problem' of gambling.

The reason of course is that its an 'easy' win - pleases the Daily Mail readers without much effort.
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 14:31 - Dec 8 with 1220 viewsPunteR

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 13:48 - Dec 8 by PinnerPaul

Ok my final point

Drink related deaths in the UK in a year - about 7,500

Drug poisoning deaths - about 3,500

Traffic deaths - nearly 2,000

Gambling related deaths? - about 6,000 suicides in the UK - IF, its a big if, 1% of those related to gambling and I very very much doubt its that high that equals 60

One untimely death is one too many, but when you consider all the deaths through disease etc as well, I do think the government should be looking at about a 100 areas before the 'problem' of gambling.

The reason of course is that its an 'easy' win - pleases the Daily Mail readers without much effort.

Not just about deaths though is it. Its quality of life not just for yourself but for your family. Gambling addiction courses a lot of trauma for some people as do most addictions.

The irresponsible campaign to get more punters betting will have long lasting effects on people. The fact they've stopped ads during games is a step in the right direction but the betting firms know they've managed to pull in a new generation of gamblers.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2018 18:59]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 17:08 - Dec 8 with 1194 viewsdaveB

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 13:38 - Dec 8 by PinnerPaul

BTW BBC say all sport EXCEPT horseracing, so not just football - according to them anyway

thats probably right but I don't think many other sports have the live odds in them as people less likely to bet in play in other sports, darts probably the only other one
UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 17:37 - Dec 8 with 1169 viewsdistortR

UK betting firms back live sports advertising ban on 14:31 - Dec 8 by PunteR

Not just about deaths though is it. Its quality of life not just for yourself but for your family. Gambling addiction courses a lot of trauma for some people as do most addictions.

The irresponsible campaign to get more punters betting will have long lasting effects on people. The fact they've stopped ads during games is a step in the right direction but the betting firms know they've managed to pull in a new generation of gamblers.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2018 18:59]

i lived next to a family where the husband - a lovely bloke, intelligent - had an addictive personality. The combination of him having a drink and being able to sit on his computer gambling with no stop on him, was ruinous to his family.
His kids spent a lot of time round ours and we regularly fed them.

On-line gambling can be insidious.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024