Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pete Shelley Gone at 63 21:05 - Dec 6 with 3118 views2Thomas2Bowles

lead singer of punk rock band Buzzcocks,
R I P

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Pete Shelley Gone at 63 on 16:03 - Dec 8 with 600 viewssmegma

Pete Shelley Gone at 63 on 15:23 - Dec 8 by hubble

That's a sweet tribute mate, Pete Shelley was undoubtedly on of the genuine greats, unique and true to himself. But one point: the Buzzcocks with Shelley fronting was their second incarnation, their first being with Howard Devoto as the front man, who also co-wrote with Shelley possibly THE seminal punk album, Spiral Scratch.

Devoto left the day AFTER the Spiral Scratch 7 inch e.p. was released. It wasnt an ALBUM.He appeared at about 12 gigs I believe. Then a proper singer took over.

When the original band reformed on the Back To Front tour in 2012 with the Line up of Shelley/Diggle/Devoto/Maher on first, then the classic hit singles line up of Shelley /Diggle/Maher/Garvey on second followed by the current line up of Shelley/Diggle/Farrant/Remington it was plain to see who the star was. Devoto couldn't even be bothered to turn up backstage for the after show party. He sang six songs and went home. Meanwhile Pete played and sung for two and a half hours and had time to see friends,family and fans after.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2018 16:16]
Pete Shelley Gone at 63 on 21:28 - Dec 8 with 542 viewshubble

Well I don't want to argue with you, it's all about opinions - and yes, I meant EP not album. But Devoto did co-write Spiral Scratch and was the first singer, even though he left after the EP was released. I personally rate the bloke. That's not to detract from how great Pete Shelley is/was. I thought there were some lovely tributes to him online, not least a comment I saw under the Guardian obit from Jon King of Gang of Four (another great band): jonkinggangoffour 1d ago
Guardian Pick
My band Gang of Four was lucky to hook up with the Buzzcocks. They were playing in Leeds and we just turned up and asked if we could support them. Pete and Richard Boon were very nice and told us to gop ahead. We supported them many more times, and toured the US with them as their main support act in 1979 . Pete was generous, brilliant, and kind. It's a sad day.
Pete Shelley Gone at 63 on 00:35 - Dec 9 with 494 viewsBoston

Y’see, the trouble with Devoto was that he always rather liked being ‘critically acclaimed’, if yer know what I mean.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Pete Shelley Gone at 63 on 01:20 - Dec 9 with 480 viewskensalriser

No idea about that, but the first Magazine album is a real heavyweight from that era.

Not that this should be about any kind of imagined competition between Devoto and Shelley. Each brilliant in different ways.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Pete Shelley Gone at 63 on 06:01 - Dec 9 with 452 viewsisawqpratwcity

Pete Shelley Gone at 63 on 01:20 - Dec 9 by kensalriser

No idea about that, but the first Magazine album is a real heavyweight from that era.

Not that this should be about any kind of imagined competition between Devoto and Shelley. Each brilliant in different ways.

Two of the three best songs on Real Life (imo) were writing collaborations with Devoto and Shelley.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Pete Shelley Gone at 63 on 15:33 - Dec 9 with 383 viewssmegma

I saw Magazine when they reformed about 8 years ago.I wish I'd brought a magazine along with me to read, I was THAT bored. What the phuck is THE BOOK about ?? Arty pretentious nonsense.

And Ive never seen posters on sale at gigs before and the asking price was £75.
Pete Shelley Gone at 63 on 15:48 - Dec 9 with 377 viewsBoston

Pete Shelley Gone at 63 on 15:33 - Dec 9 by smegma

I saw Magazine when they reformed about 8 years ago.I wish I'd brought a magazine along with me to read, I was THAT bored. What the phuck is THE BOOK about ?? Arty pretentious nonsense.

And Ive never seen posters on sale at gigs before and the asking price was £75.

Never liked, well maybe I should rephrase that, never appreciated Magazine. Was in attendance when they played on a number of occasions, just didn't hack it for me.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024