Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Holloway 04:55 - Dec 8 with 6776 viewstimcocking

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ian-holloway-reveals-

He's right in what he says, he did well and was very unlucky. However, we all know there were a few things he was doing almost deliberately to put the owners in that difficult position. I cringed every time he was interviewed. And some of that tinkering that Clive has touched upon before was flat out wrong. It seemed at times like he perhaps was struggling with the pressure of it all. That's not intended to be a criticism, i can only begin to imagine the pressure of actually being in such a position, plus dealing with everyday life.

Also, he's entitled to his opinions, but personally i don't think any QPR person should be defending Mark Hughes.

Anyway, his prerogative. Just surprised and a little disappointed to be reading it. Shows he's very unhappy about it, which is a shame. It would have been nice if things had finished better. I'd have preferred to see him keep scthum.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2018 5:05]
Ian Holloway on 09:30 - Dec 8 with 6569 viewsDannyPaddox

Love Olly and always will but I don't want to hear him whine. Reminds me of the 'shock revelations' of the Hasselbaink interview.

https://www.utrechtexaminer.co.nl/sport/footy/football-news/hasselbaink-reveals-

[Post edited 8 Dec 2018 11:21]
Ian Holloway on 10:21 - Dec 8 with 6483 viewsTacticalR

Fair enough. He did seem to be operating under some serious constraints. Personally I was looking forward to the new season under Holloway, but whether things would have improved we'll never know.

Air hostess clique

Ian Holloway on 12:10 - Dec 8 with 6339 viewsDannyPaddox

I COMPLAINED ABOUT THE TEA AT QPR - THE NEXT DAY THEY SACKED ME

Back in 2015 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was appointed manager at West London Championship club Queen's Park Rangers. In an exclusive interview with the Utrecht Examiner, Hasselbaink tells us the unexpected drama that followed.

"It was a step up from Burton. I'd done a good job there and I was ready for the next level. QPR are a great club but they weren't doing so well and needed some stability. I was relishing the challenge but what I was really excited about was the tea."

"I'm a big tea drinker. A teadophile if u will. Growing up in Holland was frustrating as it was all coffee, Heineken, and kick-ass hashish. I'd always dreamed of one day having access to decent tea and lots of it."

"The tea in my previous job Burton was okay but the soft water they have in the town didn't bring out the best in the tannins. Sometimes there was even like an oily film and unidentifiable floaty bits on top. Moving back to London brought promises of returning to the one of the finest tea-drinking cities I'd ever lived in."

"When I played for Chelshea the first meeting I had with the chairman he said, 'Hey Hasselblad I hear you're a big tea-drinker' I thought, wow you've done your research. Then he threw a heavy packet in my lap. Turned out it was the finest tea money can buy. From the Harrods. 'You play well for me and there's more where that came from'. I can't even remember which one it was. The scruffy Russian one or the English guy who looks like Captain Birdseye. All I remember is that fcuking tea hit the spot - it was like hot brown virgin's piss straight out of the pot."

"So when I returned to London to manage QPR my tea expectations were sky-high. But things got off to a bad start. The chairman, can't remember his name, aeroplane motor-racing dude, always smiling and wearing a red-baseball cap. Well in our first meeting he didn't mention tea once. I thought hey maybe this guy is a player and sooner or later we'll talk tea. Results on the pitch were going okay. We even went on a little unbeaten run with nine straight 1-1s. But the tea sucked, tasting more like weak old-lady piss. I took to putting two, three bags in the same mug and like squeezing them really hard with a tea-spoon but not so hard that they break. But it just tasted worse."

"Finally I plucked up the courage to approach the chairman. All the dressing room was behind me, especially Tjarron Chery (small guy, big tea drinker). The chairman Fernandes. I remember his name now, he was furious, the smile dropped from his face: 'You Dutch cúnt, he hollered, That's Air Malaysia Tea. The finest fcuking tea in South Asia. My wife drinks it every day. I'm partial to a cup myself. You insult my tea. You insult my country'. I suggested to him we leave it there. In fact I apologised profusely. As I said we we're on a good run of results. And I tried to leave the meeting on a positive note reminding him of the unbeaten run of nine straight 1-1s. I thought nothing more of it. Next morning I was sacked. It must've been down to the tea incident. I still feel upset about it. If I'd stayed on another season I would've brought 4 experienced pro's in and turned the 1-1s to 2-1s easy as that. I would've also got Occado to drop me off some proper fcuking tea at a safe-house on the White City Estate. But it wasn't to be. I guess it is what it is. I can still hear the chairman's indignant voice bellowing in my ear calling me a Dutch son-of-a.

"Yes I've spoken to Schteve. At the moment he says things are all cool. He's a thermos-flask type of guy. I don't know why I didn't think of that"
[Post edited 8 Dec 2018 12:24]
Ian Holloway on 12:55 - Dec 8 with 6245 viewsGroveR

Ian Holloway on 12:10 - Dec 8 by DannyPaddox

Back in 2015 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was appointed manager at West London Championship club Queen's Park Rangers. In an exclusive interview with the Utrecht Examiner, Hasselbaink tells us the unexpected drama that followed.

"It was a step up from Burton. I'd done a good job there and I was ready for the next level. QPR are a great club but they weren't doing so well and needed some stability. I was relishing the challenge but what I was really excited about was the tea."

"I'm a big tea drinker. A teadophile if u will. Growing up in Holland was frustrating as it was all coffee, Heineken, and kick-ass hashish. I'd always dreamed of one day having access to decent tea and lots of it."

"The tea in my previous job Burton was okay but the soft water they have in the town didn't bring out the best in the tannins. Sometimes there was even like an oily film and unidentifiable floaty bits on top. Moving back to London brought promises of returning to the one of the finest tea-drinking cities I'd ever lived in."

"When I played for Chelshea the first meeting I had with the chairman he said, 'Hey Hasselblad I hear you're a big tea-drinker' I thought, wow you've done your research. Then he threw a heavy packet in my lap. Turned out it was the finest tea money can buy. From the Harrods. 'You play well for me and there's more where that came from'. I can't even remember which one it was. The scruffy Russian one or the English guy who looks like Captain Birdseye. All I remember is that fcuking tea hit the spot - it was like hot brown virgin's piss straight out of the pot."

"So when I returned to London to manage QPR my tea expectations were sky-high. But things got off to a bad start. The chairman, can't remember his name, aeroplane motor-racing dude, always smiling and wearing a red-baseball cap. Well in our first meeting he didn't mention tea once. I thought hey maybe this guy is a player and sooner or later we'll talk tea. Results on the pitch were going okay. We even went on a little unbeaten run with nine straight 1-1s. But the tea sucked, tasting more like weak old-lady piss. I took to putting two, three bags in the same mug and like squeezing them really hard with a tea-spoon but not so hard that they break. But it just tasted worse."

"Finally I plucked up the courage to approach the chairman. All the dressing room was behind me, especially Tjarron Chery (small guy, big tea drinker). The chairman Fernandes. I remember his name now, he was furious, the smile dropped from his face: 'You Dutch cúnt, he hollered, That's Air Malaysia Tea. The finest fcuking tea in South Asia. My wife drinks it every day. I'm partial to a cup myself. You insult my tea. You insult my country'. I suggested to him we leave it there. In fact I apologised profusely. As I said we we're on a good run of results. And I tried to leave the meeting on a positive note reminding him of the unbeaten run of nine straight 1-1s. I thought nothing more of it. Next morning I was sacked. It must've been down to the tea incident. I still feel upset about it. If I'd stayed on another season I would've brought 4 experienced pro's in and turned the 1-1s to 2-1s easy as that. I would've also got Occado to drop me off some proper fcuking tea at a safe-house on the White City Estate. But it wasn't to be. I guess it is what it is. I can still hear the chairman's indignant voice bellowing in my ear calling me a Dutch son-of-a.

"Yes I've spoken to Schteve. At the moment he says things are all cool. He's a thermos-flask type of guy. I don't know why I didn't think of that"

Rather glosses over the fact he flew to Singapore to ask for £55k worth of tea to act for sports company that proposed selling players to his club.
Ian Holloway on 13:10 - Dec 8 with 6209 viewsDannyPaddox

Ian Holloway on 12:55 - Dec 8 by GroveR

Rather glosses over the fact he flew to Singapore to ask for £55k worth of tea to act for sports company that proposed selling players to his club.

If memory serves I'm sure he was offered the dosh (in pointless entrapment farrago) rather than himself asking. Storm in a tea cup.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2018 13:17]
Ian Holloway on 13:48 - Dec 8 with 6115 viewssmegma

Ian Holloway on 12:10 - Dec 8 by DannyPaddox

Maybe he was sacked for making a schhhhit cup of tea.
Ian Holloway on 14:04 - Dec 8 with 6087 viewsNov77

“Last season I did the best job I have ever done as a manager at Queens Park Rangers, saving them a huge amount of money and not only avoiding relegation from the Championship, but actually improving on our position the previous year.“

“Improving on our position the previous year”?, that was the year he was one defeat away from relegating us (again) right?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ian Holloway on 14:08 - Dec 8 with 6062 viewsGroveR

Ian Holloway on 13:10 - Dec 8 by DannyPaddox

If memory serves I'm sure he was offered the dosh (in pointless entrapment farrago) rather than himself asking. Storm in a tea cup.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2018 13:17]

Entrapment schmapment, he really should have seen troubling brewing.
Login to get fewer ads

Ian Holloway on 03:13 - Dec 9 with 5659 viewsmylot50years

Ian Holloway on 14:08 - Dec 8 by GroveR

Entrapment schmapment, he really should have seen troubling brewing.

IH he really can't help himself can he, it was always about him and always would have been about him, don't see anyone touching him again at a decent level, his credibility is at zero.
But you never know, with the pantomime season looming there may be an opening in the future, that's where most clowns end up.
IH your time with Rs is done, move on and stop fantasising about what you think you achieved at HQ.
Personally I have been able to dismiss most of the embarrassment you brought on the club with your rants, apart from that shameful Friday night at Millwall where your personal performance before and during the game was absolutely disgraceful.
Please stop trying to get cheap headlines through the Rs and leave us to progress to a brighter future.
Ian Holloway on 05:14 - Dec 9 with 5611 viewsWestbourneR

I'm not Holloway fan - it was all blood and thunder and no pattern of play (we were dreadful in possession) BUT...

He did keep us in the league with Sylla, Smith and Washington to chose from up front.

For all his many other coaching abilities, this is not something McLaren could have done.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Ian Holloway on 08:14 - Dec 9 with 5531 viewshubble

Ian Holloway on 05:14 - Dec 9 by WestbourneR

I'm not Holloway fan - it was all blood and thunder and no pattern of play (we were dreadful in possession) BUT...

He did keep us in the league with Sylla, Smith and Washington to chose from up front.

For all his many other coaching abilities, this is not something McLaren could have done.

If there were a film made about Holloway, he'd be played by Liam Neeson...

"I have a unique set of skills.."

Many of them not appropriate for the day-to-day job of managing a football team, but in those unique situations, Holloway was the man......
Ian Holloway on 08:40 - Dec 9 with 5494 viewsdaveB

Ian Holloway on 03:13 - Dec 9 by mylot50years

IH he really can't help himself can he, it was always about him and always would have been about him, don't see anyone touching him again at a decent level, his credibility is at zero.
But you never know, with the pantomime season looming there may be an opening in the future, that's where most clowns end up.
IH your time with Rs is done, move on and stop fantasising about what you think you achieved at HQ.
Personally I have been able to dismiss most of the embarrassment you brought on the club with your rants, apart from that shameful Friday night at Millwall where your personal performance before and during the game was absolutely disgraceful.
Please stop trying to get cheap headlines through the Rs and leave us to progress to a brighter future.

More than a little harsh, he did a good job for us and is entitled to have his say, he's not slagged the club off at all, he's been very positive about us on the EFL highlight show all season and he's not wrong in what he says.
Ian Holloway on 09:57 - Dec 9 with 5379 viewsPunteR

IH had an extremely tough job but he fufilled his remit. Look at us now. Yes we are a better team but we're still midtable.
Clearly McClaren is a better manager but it must be tough for Ollie to get dropped after doing what was asked of him. I still think he deserved another season.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ian Holloway on 11:13 - Dec 9 with 5289 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ian Holloway on 08:40 - Dec 9 by daveB

More than a little harsh, he did a good job for us and is entitled to have his say, he's not slagged the club off at all, he's been very positive about us on the EFL highlight show all season and he's not wrong in what he says.

He hasn't gone on a rant, it's clearly an article about the Hughes sacking and he's used his own sacking as an example of what he sees as harsh treatment. I'm sorry he's pissed off but can't blame him, it's personal and he's bloke who cares.

I've said all along that Holloway did do an excellent job for us and on those terms he was harshly treated, but he had weaknesses that made me doubt he was the best to take us to the next step. We don't know how he'd have done with this squad but my guess is he'd have been a bit erratic.

The one bit I'd object to is it's a bit misleading to imply that McClaren has walked in, taken over a team on the up, and been allowed to strengthen the squad. First thing that happened was Smithies was sold, Onuaha and Robinson left, and a transfer ban was slapped on.
Ian Holloway on 12:27 - Dec 9 with 5203 viewsKernowRanger

Ian Holloway on 09:57 - Dec 9 by PunteR

IH had an extremely tough job but he fufilled his remit. Look at us now. Yes we are a better team but we're still midtable.
Clearly McClaren is a better manager but it must be tough for Ollie to get dropped after doing what was asked of him. I still think he deserved another season.

Is McClaren doing that much better than Holloway would have done this season? He certainly deserves credit for turning us round after that start to the season but we're still only 14th and likely to finish around there despite spending the majority of the budget on short term signings and jettisoning the young players Holloway was bringing through with some success last year.

Unless we're aiming for promotion this year I don't understand why we've done that - is the plan to hope the loan/older players can raise Eze's game so we can sell him for big money next summer and use that to replace half the team?

IMO we'd be slightly lower in the league this year if we'd kept Holloway but long term would be in a stronger position.
Ian Holloway on 13:23 - Dec 9 with 5110 viewsJamesB1979

Ian Holloway on 12:27 - Dec 9 by KernowRanger

Is McClaren doing that much better than Holloway would have done this season? He certainly deserves credit for turning us round after that start to the season but we're still only 14th and likely to finish around there despite spending the majority of the budget on short term signings and jettisoning the young players Holloway was bringing through with some success last year.

Unless we're aiming for promotion this year I don't understand why we've done that - is the plan to hope the loan/older players can raise Eze's game so we can sell him for big money next summer and use that to replace half the team?

IMO we'd be slightly lower in the league this year if we'd kept Holloway but long term would be in a stronger position.

What budget has McLaren had? He’s got in Leinster and Rangel was out of contract. Ferdinand said on the loans: “At the start of the window when we were going after players we were being quoted loan fees and all sorts of things, by the end of the window we were being given those same players. We knew we had to be patient, we couldn’t do the deals at the start of the window because of the finances of the club, but we got who we wanted in the end.”

To me he’s had no budget at all.
Ian Holloway on 15:18 - Dec 9 with 4992 viewsPunteR

Ian Holloway on 13:23 - Dec 9 by JamesB1979

What budget has McLaren had? He’s got in Leinster and Rangel was out of contract. Ferdinand said on the loans: “At the start of the window when we were going after players we were being quoted loan fees and all sorts of things, by the end of the window we were being given those same players. We knew we had to be patient, we couldn’t do the deals at the start of the window because of the finances of the club, but we got who we wanted in the end.”

To me he’s had no budget at all.

It's all speculation though isn't it? Unless i've missed it do we know who spent the most on on transfers and wages.?

Without doubt though SM has brought in a better calibre of player via the loan system.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2018 15:23]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ian Holloway on 15:23 - Dec 9 with 4973 viewsfrancisbowles

Had we managed to get those four players in at the start of the season, then possibly we would be 4, 6 or more points better off. Four would see us level with Villa in 8th.

I know that's a big if, and in reality we have 32 points, but I think you have to take it into consideration when judging McClaren at this stage of this season. Even with that start, he had us high in the table two games ago on 28 points from the previous 15 games!

I don't think the young players were jettisoned, the view from the club is that they are not, Eze and goalkeepers apart, quite ready and hopefully many will be loaned out in January.
Ian Holloway on 15:27 - Dec 9 with 4969 viewspaulparker

OIly is right he did deserve another season and he did a good job , smyth, manning, furlong, Hall , Sylla , Freeman all improved under him , some of our fanbase need a word with themselves not content with giving Warnock pellters in the past they are now starting on Olly , he deserves respect
McLaren has done ok and that’s it just ok , but the last few games we have shipped in 9 goals , and picked up 2 points out the last 12 ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Ian Holloway on 16:45 - Dec 9 with 4881 viewsblacky2013

Ian Holloway on 15:27 - Dec 9 by paulparker

OIly is right he did deserve another season and he did a good job , smyth, manning, furlong, Hall , Sylla , Freeman all improved under him , some of our fanbase need a word with themselves not content with giving Warnock pellters in the past they are now starting on Olly , he deserves respect
McLaren has done ok and that’s it just ok , but the last few games we have shipped in 9 goals , and picked up 2 points out the last 12 ,

Olly didn't do himself any favours when it came to his interviews and shocking away record. I love Olly but I think it was the right move. He didn't seem the same guy as his first tenure and looked extremely stressed in most of the interviews. The other thing that got me thinking about his second stint with us is the chopping and changing of the team every week. Its difficult to get a run going if you are changing the team and tactics every other game.
In all the interviews I've seen of players this season who were here last season there seems to be a general opinion that McLaren has done a good job on the training set up and the players all seem to know their job.
Ian Holloway on 12:35 - Dec 11 with 4218 viewsAntti_Heinola

It's an interesting discussion, but my gut says that losing Onuoha, Smithies and Robinson in one go would have seen Ollie struggle. I don't think he'd have done any better, but he might have done roughly the same job.

We had to buy players to stop us from going down, not to necessarily aim for promotion! I've been a bit unhappy about lack of minutes for Smyth and BOS, but otherwise SM has done a good job - tough at the moment, but overall I'm happy. The consistency of selection alone is pleasing.

Love Ollie, though, and always will. He wears his heart on his sleeve, did a good job both times for us, and as a player.

Bare bones.

Ian Holloway on 12:44 - Dec 11 with 4195 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Everyone's entitled to view events in their life through their own eyes, as long as they're not completely deluding themselves or insulting others. Neither is happening here.

Best of luck to Olly always.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ian Holloway on 12:36 - Dec 13 with 3865 viewsR_from_afar

Topical remark #1: 14/1 to be the next manager of The Pirates

Topical remark #2: Still our manager, apparently :
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/next-manager-bristol-

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ian Holloway on 12:56 - Dec 13 with 3809 viewsDando

Ollie did a great job under extremely difficult circumstances - but for me he was the victim of his own mistakes. Tinkering, after tinkering every week, having to guess who was up front, or in the team altogether week after week. Playing Bidwell at left wing back, Pav at right wing back. Several other examples too

Its no surprise that those players are now playing better in their suited position.
If he hadn't over complicated things, I doubt he would have got sacked
Ian Holloway on 01:36 - Dec 14 with 3573 viewstimcocking

Kernow Ranger? Me too, where you from? I'm a Helstoner...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024