Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sylla 10:53 - Jan 4 with 9423 viewskingo

On the move, back to Belgium.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Sylla on 10:58 - Jan 4 with 5509 viewsTonto

probably best - another off the wage book, hasn't been close to the first team this year.

remains an enigma - a decent goal scoring record (goals per minute must be reasonable), but always seemed to be an impact sub, rather than a starter.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Sylla on 10:59 - Jan 4 with 5491 viewsTonto

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-set-to-finally-offload-striker-sylla

free transfer

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Sylla on 11:16 - Jan 4 with 5405 viewsParkRoyalR

Sylla on 10:58 - Jan 4 by Tonto

probably best - another off the wage book, hasn't been close to the first team this year.

remains an enigma - a decent goal scoring record (goals per minute must be reasonable), but always seemed to be an impact sub, rather than a starter.

Disappointing whatever has happened this season as showed what a great impact player he can be @ Preston where bar for a superb save would have scored equaliser and created 3 or 4 other chances in a 20 minute cameo which when you compare to our centre forward change @ Villa Park is a big missing. And if Wells gets injured we will have to hope Oteh can bring his U23's form to 1st team.
Sylla on 11:21 - Jan 4 with 5369 viewsNorthernr

I actually think you saw at Villa exactly why McClaren won't use him. We brought Smith on, who isn't mobile and is basically a rudimentary target man, and it not only ended us as an attacking threat but it damaged the way we defend from the front as well. Forwards in McClaren's set up have to work bloody hard, Wells is all over the place. God bless him, but Sylla aint going to do that for you. He's also a notoriously bad, or at best inconsistent trainer, something else that won't get you far under this regime that places so much stock in work on the training ground.

Still, I enjoyed having him. Very QPR player, bit unorthodox, bit mental, a prolific scorer of accidental goals each one celebrated like a last minute winner in a cup final.
Sylla on 11:25 - Jan 4 with 5348 viewsTheChef

Sylla on 11:21 - Jan 4 by Northernr

I actually think you saw at Villa exactly why McClaren won't use him. We brought Smith on, who isn't mobile and is basically a rudimentary target man, and it not only ended us as an attacking threat but it damaged the way we defend from the front as well. Forwards in McClaren's set up have to work bloody hard, Wells is all over the place. God bless him, but Sylla aint going to do that for you. He's also a notoriously bad, or at best inconsistent trainer, something else that won't get you far under this regime that places so much stock in work on the training ground.

Still, I enjoyed having him. Very QPR player, bit unorthodox, bit mental, a prolific scorer of accidental goals each one celebrated like a last minute winner in a cup final.

Bottom line is we are a bit fvcked in the striker department if Wells gets injured.

I'd rather Oteh than Smith, and start blooding him a bit more to see what he's got. We all know what Smith brings to the party...

Can we loan any strikers this month? Maybe (I hope) that is why Sylla has been let go, and we have someone lined up.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sylla on 11:25 - Jan 4 with 5344 viewsWatford_Ranger

Some great memories...

The winner at Fulham
The late winner from half a yard against Hull
Scoring with his standing foot in some midweek game in comedic fashion
That time the Sheff U goalkeeper fell over his own defender and dropped the ball four yards from goal
Sylla on 11:26 - Jan 4 with 5343 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Great goal/game ratio. Thanks for the goals.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Sylla on 11:27 - Jan 4 with 5338 views08olesen

His goal to game ratio is very respectable and considering that a lot of his appearances were off the bench i think he did ok. I would have him over Matt Smith. Would not be surprised if he goes to Belgium and scores a hat full.

Poll: Who will the other play off

Login to get fewer ads

Sylla on 11:32 - Jan 4 with 5296 viewsNorthernr

Sylla on 11:25 - Jan 4 by TheChef

Bottom line is we are a bit fvcked in the striker department if Wells gets injured.

I'd rather Oteh than Smith, and start blooding him a bit more to see what he's got. We all know what Smith brings to the party...

Can we loan any strikers this month? Maybe (I hope) that is why Sylla has been let go, and we have someone lined up.

Same, I'd like to see Oteh a bit more.

Transfer embargo includes loans so no dice there.

We've got Wells, Smith, Hemed and Oteh. That's pretty good for a club that's supposed to be trying to cut costs and wage bill. We've become accustomed to signing players - Austin getting injured so we bring in Doyle, Maiga, Benayoun and Keane being the most egregious example - but we can't operate like that any more, even if we didn't have an embargo. If you spend money to loan Hemed and Wells and they both get injured that's just tough I'm afraid, you pick Oteh and live with it.

It'll be tighter still next season post parachute payments.
Sylla on 11:36 - Jan 4 with 5255 viewsfrancisbowles

Sylla on 11:32 - Jan 4 by Northernr

Same, I'd like to see Oteh a bit more.

Transfer embargo includes loans so no dice there.

We've got Wells, Smith, Hemed and Oteh. That's pretty good for a club that's supposed to be trying to cut costs and wage bill. We've become accustomed to signing players - Austin getting injured so we bring in Doyle, Maiga, Benayoun and Keane being the most egregious example - but we can't operate like that any more, even if we didn't have an embargo. If you spend money to loan Hemed and Wells and they both get injured that's just tough I'm afraid, you pick Oteh and live with it.

It'll be tighter still next season post parachute payments.

I think we can bring in someone on 75% of his wages if no fee is involved.
Sylla on 11:38 - Jan 4 with 5246 viewsmakaveli1882

Thanks for the memories, came in when the club was in a mess and scored some important goals, good luck.
Sylla on 11:39 - Jan 4 with 5234 viewsToast_R

Wish him well, highlights for me...

His winner v Fulham was really well taken followed up by the last second penalty Fulham were awarded where he almost spontaneously combusted in front of the referee. Funny.

Special mention for his equaliser v Sheff Weds which was one of the most weirdest Ive seen at LR. He somehow appeared to timewarp the ball into the net. There was about a second and a half of realtime missing from him shooting to the ball appearing in the back of the net. Dynamo sh*t.
Sylla on 11:41 - Jan 4 with 5222 viewscolinallcars

-He was a “lucky” striker but an awful player really and unwilling to pit a lot of work in hence his unpopularity with several managers.
Sylla on 11:52 - Jan 4 with 5161 viewsCiderwithRsie

Good. Good for him and glad he wants to play in Belgium rather than take our cash.

For us the squad's too big and too many of them aren't going to get a game unless three or four players ahead of them are unavailable. I'd much rather throw in Oteh or little Smyth as a temporary measure.

No hard feelings and best of luck to him.
Sylla on 11:54 - Jan 4 with 5155 viewsParkRoyalR

Although his touch wasn't great, he was always alert around the box and never ball watching, not comparing him to Austin but that instinct is priceless in a centre forward and can't be taught as we saw with Washington. Often in the right place in the last 10 due to this instinct. Specifically watched him a few games and he did actually run the defensive line far more than Smith but I think his mentalness earned him a reputation for not running for the team
Sylla on 11:55 - Jan 4 with 5150 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Sylla on 11:25 - Jan 4 by Watford_Ranger

Some great memories...

The winner at Fulham
The late winner from half a yard against Hull
Scoring with his standing foot in some midweek game in comedic fashion
That time the Sheff U goalkeeper fell over his own defender and dropped the ball four yards from goal

And the late equaliser at Forest a couple of seasons ago.
Sylla on 11:58 - Jan 4 with 5130 viewsTacticalR

The ultimate goal hanger.

Air hostess clique

Sylla on 12:00 - Jan 4 with 5119 viewsmakaveli1882

Sylla on 12:08 - Jan 4 with 5085 viewsbosh67

I think you are spot on there Clive. I really liked him. Like a mad player who plays with a smile on his face. He was a clanky fox in the box type player who rarely got the service. We never seemed to understand that you get a player like that to goal hang and if he stays onside he will drag defenders back and often get a foot, head, shin, ear, buttock or whatever to turn it in. But much like Smith who appears to be doomed under every manager to be 30 yards from goal with his back to goal flicking balls on or bought on in much the same way as the old boy with the harmonica at the end of Morecambe and Wise at the very end of the match to try and win a header from a corner, we rarely have managers who look at what players do best and play to those strengths.

That said, difficult to criticise McClaren and co on their current tactics and set up, and yes, Wells is a perfect McClaren player, as is Pav. They are both constantly on the move, making runs and closing defenders down. Sylla just wasn't that type of player. But he was a better player than we allowed him to be.

I will also miss his 10 minute goal celebrations.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2019 12:12]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sylla on 12:09 - Jan 4 with 5080 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Good goal scorer and liked him.
Fully understand why he has left as he does not fit in as not aligned to our current club ethos and team structure.

Only thing - what did he cost us in the first place?

I just read 2.7m - is that right?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/issiaga-sylla/transfers/spieler/220878

If so, that's loads more money we've wasted (again) and got no return on (apart from his goals)

Thanks Sylla for all your contribution over the past couple of seasons.

U R's
Sylla on 12:40 - Jan 4 with 4915 viewsOldPedro

Sylla on 12:09 - Jan 4 by superhoopdownunder

Good goal scorer and liked him.
Fully understand why he has left as he does not fit in as not aligned to our current club ethos and team structure.

Only thing - what did he cost us in the first place?

I just read 2.7m - is that right?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/issiaga-sylla/transfers/spieler/220878

If so, that's loads more money we've wasted (again) and got no return on (apart from his goals)

Thanks Sylla for all your contribution over the past couple of seasons.

U R's

Not sure it was a waste of money, just goes to show what type of striker you generally get for that sort of money.

Noticed Cardiff are loaning Gary Madine to Sheff Utd just 12 months after they bought him for a reported £6 million. Looking at Madine's career stats on Soccerbase he has 0.21 goals per game while Sylla has 0.29 per game, so in comparison Sylla did ok.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Sylla on 12:47 - Jan 4 with 4871 viewsqprd

Sylla on 11:25 - Jan 4 by TheChef

You raise a good point about the lack of depth

The issue is particularly significant for next year, as Wells and Hemed are both gone, meaning our strikers under contract will consist of Matt Smith and Oteh only.

We can either go back to the loan market (but that is expensive and non-sustainable) or buy someone (which is really expensive, given the market for strikers). We really need Oteh to be able to contribute next year, but he needs to be blooded first, which is why it bothers me so much that McLaren opts for Smith before Oteh so regularly.

Having said all that, I don't think we need to bring anyone else in this window (putting aside the FFP embargo). Would rather we not gamble on promotion this year, as its still a long shot.
Sylla on 13:00 - Jan 4 with 4816 viewsDorse

Sylla on 12:47 - Jan 4 by qprd

You raise a good point about the lack of depth

The issue is particularly significant for next year, as Wells and Hemed are both gone, meaning our strikers under contract will consist of Matt Smith and Oteh only.

We can either go back to the loan market (but that is expensive and non-sustainable) or buy someone (which is really expensive, given the market for strikers). We really need Oteh to be able to contribute next year, but he needs to be blooded first, which is why it bothers me so much that McLaren opts for Smith before Oteh so regularly.

Having said all that, I don't think we need to bring anyone else in this window (putting aside the FFP embargo). Would rather we not gamble on promotion this year, as its still a long shot.

The most QPR thing to do is to go up via the Play Offs (beating Villa) in the one season we are under a transfer embargo and FFP restrictions.

You heard it here first, people.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Sylla on 13:01 - Jan 4 with 4808 viewsLongsufferingR

I love a mentalist in the hoops. Cisse, Diakite and Sylla were all great entertainment.

Has anybody ever worked out exactly how he scored in that 1-1 at Bolton last season? I've watched the replay a hundred times and still can't work out whether the backheel pirouette was a piece of gymnastic genius or a lucky deflection following an awful piece of timing with his run.
Sylla on 13:06 - Jan 4 with 4783 viewsLongsufferingR

Sylla on 13:00 - Jan 4 by Dorse

The most QPR thing to do is to go up via the Play Offs (beating Villa) in the one season we are under a transfer embargo and FFP restrictions.

You heard it here first, people.

That's an incredibly bold prediction and I just can't for the life of me see how it could happen.

Villa haven't got a prayer of finishing top six.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024