Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil Parkes on blue peter 17:24 - Jan 10 with 3032 viewsNov77

Never seen this one before..
[Post edited 10 Jan 2019 17:29]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 18:08 - Jan 10 with 2935 viewsisawqpratwcity

Interesting that Phil elected for 'rubber ribbed'. Perhaps under wetter conditions he might have gone with something a bit more knobbly.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 18:23 - Jan 10 with 2912 viewsDannyPaddox

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 18:08 - Jan 10 by isawqpratwcity

Interesting that Phil elected for 'rubber ribbed'. Perhaps under wetter conditions he might have gone with something a bit more knobbly.

Well there's no use looking at me.
Phil Parkes on blue peter on 02:31 - Jan 11 with 2712 viewsBoston

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 18:23 - Jan 10 by DannyPaddox

....wardrobe by the Starship Enterprise.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 02:44 - Jan 11 with 2706 viewsBoston

Me and a mate had a good drink with Pete Pervert in a Parsons Green boozer circa ‘77. No airs or graces, rolled his own fags and a handy enough darts player.

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 08:13 - Jan 11 with 2597 viewsTheChef

It seems pretty good quality with the cushioning layer as well, doesn't seem anything like the sand-based stuff which was essentially a thin layer stretched over concrete and could give you third degree burns.

Was this the same stuff used at Loftus Road? This type sounds quite expensive even for 1972, I'm assuming we probably went with a cheaper option.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 09:40 - Jan 11 with 2546 viewsCamberleyR

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 08:13 - Jan 11 by TheChef

It seems pretty good quality with the cushioning layer as well, doesn't seem anything like the sand-based stuff which was essentially a thin layer stretched over concrete and could give you third degree burns.

Was this the same stuff used at Loftus Road? This type sounds quite expensive even for 1972, I'm assuming we probably went with a cheaper option.

Nah, ours was Omniturf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omniturf

They were an American rival to Astroturf but none of the big American pro sports teams opted for their product, they used AstroTurf instead.

I thought that the cost of installing it was quite steep for the time as well but I suppose it was fairly new technology. £190k is about £1.75m in today's money.

I seem to recall ours cost circa £300k to install in 1981 which is about £800k today.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 10:26 - Jan 11 with 2521 viewsTheChef

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 09:40 - Jan 11 by CamberleyR

Nah, ours was Omniturf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omniturf

They were an American rival to Astroturf but none of the big American pro sports teams opted for their product, they used AstroTurf instead.

I thought that the cost of installing it was quite steep for the time as well but I suppose it was fairly new technology. £190k is about £1.75m in today's money.

I seem to recall ours cost circa £300k to install in 1981 which is about £800k today.

Cheers. Based on that, I'm assuming by 1981 Astroturf was more expensive than Omniturf.

And as mentioned that Omniturf was awful, all that sand, seemingly no shock absorption, after years of playing 5 a side on it I'm amazed my knees can barely function.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 00:12 - Jan 12 with 2378 viewsBoston

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 10:26 - Jan 11 by TheChef

Cheers. Based on that, I'm assuming by 1981 Astroturf was more expensive than Omniturf.

And as mentioned that Omniturf was awful, all that sand, seemingly no shock absorption, after years of playing 5 a side on it I'm amazed my knees can barely function.

You're outed Redknapp.

Login to get fewer ads

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 09:19 - Jan 12 with 2305 viewsHamptonR

Saving and holding onto the ball, a lost art.
Phil Parkes on blue peter on 10:53 - Jan 12 with 2256 viewsPommyhoop

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 09:19 - Jan 12 by HamptonR

It was all in the gloves.
Remember the cotton gloves that were like snooker referees
But in green

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 11:00 - Jan 12 with 2246 viewsCamberleyR

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 09:19 - Jan 12 by HamptonR

Doing it wearing just his gardening gloves as well.

PP was actually majorly responsible for introducing foreign goalie gloves with latex rubber palms (predominantly German) into the UK.

The article in the link below goes into a bit more detail about what PP says in the youtube clip above whereby with a business partner a couple of years later he set up a company Sukan Sports to import them into the UK. It's a fairly lengthy article, the bit relating to PP is about halfway down

http://www.goalkeepersaredifferent.com/keepers/hand-in-gloves.html

Edit: Just seen Pommy beat me to the youtube clip!
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 11:05]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 11:36 - Jan 12 with 2215 viewsqprxtc

Phil Parkes on blue peter on 18:23 - Jan 10 by DannyPaddox

No one mention Joan Armatrading. Oops.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024