Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Food when you were a youngster. 14:33 - Jan 14 with 24918 viewsMick_S

This was the absolute king of foods when I were a lad.

Wednesday afternoon around 5 o clock. Fred Dineage teaching kids to play cards in the quiz show Gambit - Steaklets, chips and peas on the plate.

Food heaven.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Food when you were a youngster. on 14:45 - Jan 14 with 8018 viewsMytch_QPR

Did you get the cheap anorak?

I tell you what I remember (and I haven't seen it lately) - Angel Delight. The club could so a special Angel Rangel Delight version. Also went through a lot of Shiphams sandwich spread in the old school lunchbox.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Food when you were a youngster. on 14:53 - Jan 14 with 8002 viewsGroveR

You have to love the old days before the namby pamby eurocrats made manufacturers tell punters what they were eating.

"Approx 80% hooves and arseholes"
Food when you were a youngster. on 14:58 - Jan 14 with 7990 viewsMick_S

Food when you were a youngster. on 14:53 - Jan 14 by GroveR

You have to love the old days before the namby pamby eurocrats made manufacturers tell punters what they were eating.

"Approx 80% hooves and arseholes"

Please don't say that.

Food when you were a youngster. on 15:00 - Jan 14 with 7986 viewsbob566

vesta dried curries. Like an army ration but pretty tasty.
Food when you were a youngster. on 15:17 - Jan 14 with 7935 viewsToast_R

Used to like those small round pizza's you'd get in a bag, usually 5 in a bag. Whack on of those on for tea after Grange Hill, jobs a goodun!

One of my earliest childhood memories, getting pushed around Prestos in the shopping trolley eating a bag Roast Chicken flavor KP Wickers. My mum would then have to pay for the empty bag at the checkout. They were the best crisps in the world.
Food when you were a youngster. on 15:23 - Jan 14 with 7926 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Breakfast slices anyone?
I have no idea what they were made from but I loved them all the same.
Food when you were a youngster. on 15:30 - Jan 14 with 7905 viewsTheChef

Findus French bread pizzas.

Angel Delight.

Trios.

White dogsh1t.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Food when you were a youngster. on 15:33 - Jan 14 with 7897 viewsShotKneesHoop

Spam fritters and chips followed by Bakewell tart and custard was one of my favourite school dinners, worst was toad in the hole followed by either tapioca or semolina, bloody awful.

We still got free milk in those days - special days were when Jobs Dairy used to deliver them with straws loaded with strawberry or raspberry powder to make milkshakes. Happy days.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2019 15:34]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Login to get fewer ads

Food when you were a youngster. on 15:38 - Jan 14 with 7870 views2Thomas2Bowles

Spam and Smash followed by artic roll

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Food when you were a youngster. on 15:41 - Jan 14 with 7867 viewseghamranger

Food when you were a youngster. on 15:30 - Jan 14 by TheChef

Angel Delight.

Trios.

White dogsh1t.

They still do all of those.

Like my old style food... butterscotch angel delight with chocolate sprinkles on.

Trios are with the penguins and clubs still.

Still waiting for Texan bars to come back !!
Food when you were a youngster. on 15:42 - Jan 14 with 7864 viewsflynnbo

Cod in butter sauce and Golden Nuggets-not together obviously!
Food when you were a youngster. on 15:43 - Jan 14 with 7860 viewsaston_hoop

Whatever happened to that banana crunch pudding? You got hot banana custard topped with some crunchy things. Felt like winning the lottery getting that for pudding as a kid. Does it still exist?

Angel delight is still going strong, I was in one of those shops for expats who miss British food on Saturday and it had an angel delight section!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Food when you were a youngster. on 15:54 - Jan 14 with 7828 viewsDannyPaddox

My dear old Nan, god bless her, used to make me tinned corned-beef and tomato sandwiches which I'd happily wolf down. One day she said she'd run out of tomatoes and would I mind just having a corned beef sandwich. "Sure probably taste even nicer" I thought. Eating the naked corned-beef without the freshness of a tomato was like eating a rancid salted cable-knit cardigan. Never been near the stuff again.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2019 15:59]
Food when you were a youngster. on 15:58 - Jan 14 with 7809 viewsDaBurgh

Food when you were a youngster. on 15:43 - Jan 14 by aston_hoop

Whatever happened to that banana crunch pudding? You got hot banana custard topped with some crunchy things. Felt like winning the lottery getting that for pudding as a kid. Does it still exist?

Angel delight is still going strong, I was in one of those shops for expats who miss British food on Saturday and it had an angel delight section!

Yeah but the sell by dates were probably June 1981. When I first got to London as a single guy in Jan of '79, I made some raspberry Angel Delight. It was frikkin terrible, tasted like diesel, never tried diesel but it had a bad chemical taste. That is saying something from a kid who grew up on 1960's American chemically enhanced desserts. First and only time I had it. Was quite keen on Findus pancake thingys.
Food when you were a youngster. on 16:03 - Jan 14 with 7793 viewsMick_S

Top left - top trifle. The mouse was half decent, too.

Had to be careful with the Findus French bread pizza - if you were impatient the roof of your mouth would take a week to heal.

Food when you were a youngster. on 16:04 - Jan 14 with 7790 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Food when you were a youngster. on 15:58 - Jan 14 by DaBurgh

Yeah but the sell by dates were probably June 1981. When I first got to London as a single guy in Jan of '79, I made some raspberry Angel Delight. It was frikkin terrible, tasted like diesel, never tried diesel but it had a bad chemical taste. That is saying something from a kid who grew up on 1960's American chemically enhanced desserts. First and only time I had it. Was quite keen on Findus pancake thingys.

Oh yes, the crispy findus pancakes were great with ketchup once they had cooled down a bit. Otherwise that molten cheese filling could do the same damage as a McDonalds apple pie.
Food when you were a youngster. on 16:23 - Jan 14 with 7754 viewsMrSheen

Heinz tinned Ravioli.
Frey Bentos tinned steak and kidney pies.
Tinned peaches.
John West tinned salmon.

I’m surprised my parents wasted money on a fridge.
Food when you were a youngster. on 16:29 - Jan 14 with 7736 viewscolinallcars

There used to be some pretty awful pies from Telfers who I think were based in Fulham. I used to like Lyons Individual fruit pies washed down with a Lemonillo.
Food when you were a youngster. on 16:31 - Jan 14 with 7730 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Chunky Chicken.
Pickled Onion Space Raiders crisps.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Food when you were a youngster. on 16:37 - Jan 14 with 7714 viewsMytch_QPR

Food when you were a youngster. on 15:30 - Jan 14 by TheChef

Angel Delight.

Trios.

White dogsh1t.

You used to eat white dog turds?????

I know living standards were a bit lower in the 70s but that sounds like a tough childhood - especially for a future chef.

Snacks - I remember KP Fangs, purchased from a vending machine at Walton Swimming Pool on the school trips.

Is Ice Magic still around or is it some sort of designer drug these days?

Edit: not KP, Smiths:

[Post edited 14 Jan 2019 16:41]

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Food when you were a youngster. on 16:50 - Jan 14 with 7677 viewsBlackCrowe

Food when you were a youngster. on 15:23 - Jan 14 by CroydonCaptJack

Breakfast slices anyone?
I have no idea what they were made from but I loved them all the same.

Loved breakfast slices.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Food when you were a youngster. on 16:54 - Jan 14 with 7667 viewsTonto

I vaguely recall a short-lived disgusting drink called Quattro, which was sort of a rival to Lilt. I don't recall seeing Lilt recently either come to think of it...

Crisps used to be Smiths or Golden Wonder, now its pretty much walkers everywhere you go.

Scampi flavoured fries

Sweet cigarettes (what the hell were they thinking)

Chicken kievs were the height of refinement for a while, then they brought out mini chicken kievs and our family went mental...chicken

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Food when you were a youngster. on 16:56 - Jan 14 with 7660 viewsDannyPaddox

Food when you were a youngster. on 16:03 - Jan 14 by Mick_S

Top left - top trifle. The mouse was half decent, too.

Had to be careful with the Findus French bread pizza - if you were impatient the roof of your mouth would take a week to heal.

Man alive I must've put a few of those trifle mousse things away as a kid. And while we're riding the sweets trolley when I was 9 or 10 I saved up 25p went to the corner shop and demanded 100 fruit salads and blackjacks - 50 of each please. Yes indeed they were 4 a penny. I felt like a king and had what seemed a magic never-ending jar of them softening on the window-sill for a month.

Blackjacks are most likely called something else now (and rightly so) but I've always thought things could've been evened up in the world of casually racist confectionary by renaming Miky Bars as Honky Bars.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2019 18:06]
Food when you were a youngster. on 17:18 - Jan 14 with 7600 viewsMytch_QPR

Food when you were a youngster. on 16:54 - Jan 14 by Tonto

I vaguely recall a short-lived disgusting drink called Quattro, which was sort of a rival to Lilt. I don't recall seeing Lilt recently either come to think of it...

Crisps used to be Smiths or Golden Wonder, now its pretty much walkers everywhere you go.

Scampi flavoured fries

Sweet cigarettes (what the hell were they thinking)

Chicken kievs were the height of refinement for a while, then they brought out mini chicken kievs and our family went mental...chicken

Quattro - yes, I remember that. 4 fruits (flavourings) and shed loads of sugar.

Who can recall Pacers, the strange bastard brother of the Opal Fruit?

Food when you were a youngster. on 17:24 - Jan 14 with 7590 viewsoldmisery

Food when you were a youngster. on 16:56 - Jan 14 by DannyPaddox

Man alive I must've put a few of those trifle mousse things away as a kid. And while we're riding the sweets trolley when I was 9 or 10 I saved up 25p went to the corner shop and demanded 100 fruit salads and blackjacks - 50 of each please. Yes indeed they were 4 a penny. I felt like a king and had what seemed a magic never-ending jar of them softening on the window-sill for a month.

Blackjacks are most likely called something else now (and rightly so) but I've always thought things could've been evened up in the world of casually racist confectionary by renaming Miky Bars as Honky Bars.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2019 18:06]

25p? 25p? Good grief that was 5 shillings. You had 5 shillings to spend on sweets?

Was your mother Vivienne Nicholson?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024