Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting 03:13 - Jan 20 with 2441 viewsnumptydumpty

Yes today was as said extremely disappointing - just an aberration.. We hope..

But yes crikey the timewasting today was beyond diabolical. from Preston.

I know at the end of the game the added on time was irrelevant but 4 minutes only.

So there was 5 subs in second half I think so that's two and a half minutes but their numbers 4, 14, 24 and 2 - I think they all had a couple of goes each at rolling around in agony until we kindly kicked the ball out and a minute or so they all got up and jogged on - is there not a rule that players can get booked for timewasting - I know all teams do it including ourselves - but today it was beyond diabolical and certainly this aspect of the modern game..

Well..

Irritating in the extreme - is the polite way of describing it !!!!!!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 07:21 - Jan 20 with 2363 viewssmegma

I thought their$hithousery was mild compared to last seasons game. They only really started wasting time when 2 nil up. And I thought our players wasted OUR time as they were awful from first to last minute. I think we're really clutching at straws blaming the ref or PNE players, there were 11 other people to blame for our thumping. I'd love to know what Oteh needs to do to get a place in the starting XI for a league game. If Smith is a better option than Oteh then there's no hope for the rest of this season.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 08:33 - Jan 20 with 2274 viewsRuislipHoop

Why were they wasting time in the corner at 4-1 up,don’t quite get that,it can only be they are trained in anti football tactics and no matter what the score they have to do it.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:00 - Jan 20 with 2223 viewswestberksr

for once I was mightily relieved that the ref cocked up the added time....

true count would have probably been nearer 8 minutes; but would have forced me to throw myself from the Upper Loft in an attempt to impale on the corner flag and end my misery
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:01 - Jan 20 with 2217 viewsDieByYourSide

We've been as bad as anyone this season for shithousery

Poll: And it's hi ho

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:11 - Jan 20 with 2199 viewsstowmarketrange

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:01 - Jan 20 by DieByYourSide

We've been as bad as anyone this season for shithousery

Yes we have been,especially at Villa.But there the ref added on an appropriate amount of time to counter our timewasting.He added 11 mins but played over 14.Yesterday he didn’t take any of their tactics into consideration when adding only 4 mins.
I don’t think it would’ve made much difference if he’d put up 40 minutes as we were so bad,but the principle still should apply,whatever the score.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:23 - Jan 20 with 2172 viewssmegma

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:11 - Jan 20 by stowmarketrange

Yes we have been,especially at Villa.But there the ref added on an appropriate amount of time to counter our timewasting.He added 11 mins but played over 14.Yesterday he didn’t take any of their tactics into consideration when adding only 4 mins.
I don’t think it would’ve made much difference if he’d put up 40 minutes as we were so bad,but the principle still should apply,whatever the score.

He added 4 but played 5:15
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:39 - Jan 20 with 2141 viewscolinallcars

I shudder to think what Preston's timewasting would have been like if they had been hanging on to a 1-0. For the second half.
We had a debate on here recently and most felt we may as well indulge in these horrible tactics ourselves.
Clearly it has to be nipped in the bud but the authorities don't seem too botheredabout teams taking the pi$$ out of their refs.
The latest thing they are looking at is minor change to the handball laws.
Timewasting has been put on the back burner.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 10:19 - Jan 20 with 2066 viewsozexile

It's simple, anything other than a serious head injury and the physio treats the player while the game carries on like rugby.
Login to get fewer ads

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 10:52 - Jan 20 with 2009 viewsstowmarketrange

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:23 - Jan 20 by smegma

I was more annoyed at the thought that he only added on 4 minutes to allow for all the goals,subs and injuries,not the time that he actually played for.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 12:20 - Jan 20 with 1912 viewsflynnbo

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 07:21 - Jan 20 by smegma

I thought their$hithousery was mild compared to last seasons game. They only really started wasting time when 2 nil up. And I thought our players wasted OUR time as they were awful from first to last minute. I think we're really clutching at straws blaming the ref or PNE players, there were 11 other people to blame for our thumping. I'd love to know what Oteh needs to do to get a place in the starting XI for a league game. If Smith is a better option than Oteh then there's no hope for the rest of this season.

I have never rated Smith but was he not put on to give Lumley a target from his goal kicks following our gift of a goal?
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 13:54 - Jan 20 with 1832 viewsdachiltern

5.15 too many, even though the ref was as poor as we were I can only imagine he would rather had played 1 at the most, if only to save us from any more pain and embarrassment.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 14:52 - Jan 20 with 1793 viewsQPR_John

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 10:19 - Jan 20 by ozexile

It's simple, anything other than a serious head injury and the physio treats the player while the game carries on like rugby.

Can it really work in football. Football is a much more fluid game than rugby and the ball can change ends much quicker. Just think if this was the case defenders could go down and get the physio on which would restrict the attacking team.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 16:03 - Jan 20 with 1738 viewsBushRanger82

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 08:33 - Jan 20 by RuislipHoop

Why were they wasting time in the corner at 4-1 up,don’t quite get that,it can only be they are trained in anti football tactics and no matter what the score they have to do it.

That was flipping unbelievable. 4 mins of injury to see out. 3 goals up on your opponents. And you spend most of it time wasting.
That left me wondering who was more manure-like. Us, or them?
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 16:57 - Jan 20 with 1683 viewskingo

Put quite simply, Preston are everything that I hate in the modern game. Their manager will justify what they do by the fact they won but they were diabolical.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 18:02 - Jan 20 with 1631 viewsstowmarketrange

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 14:52 - Jan 20 by QPR_John

Can it really work in football. Football is a much more fluid game than rugby and the ball can change ends much quicker. Just think if this was the case defenders could go down and get the physio on which would restrict the attacking team.

Our group had a sweep on how many times a Preston player would go down injured in the 2nd half.I went for 8 times and I’m sure I would’ve won if the score had been closer.It was only 4,but 1 player went down twice.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 22:06 - Jan 20 with 1510 viewsjtuck

I know many people loathe self-publicist former ref Mark Clattenburg but he had a couple of interesting ideas on time-wasting today on NBC Premier League coverage in USA. His proposed rule changes:

1) Warn player delaying throw-in and if delay continues, give throw-in to the other team like a Foul Throw.

2) Establish a 'six second rule' for taking corners and goal kicks. Like the current rule on how long keepers can pick up and hold on to the ball.

Thought those were reasonable suggestions. Of course, does not address feigned head injury stops in play. Can't think of a way round that given rightful worries about concussion.

LAranger

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 22:12 - Jan 20 with 1505 viewsstowmarketrange

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 22:06 - Jan 20 by jtuck

I know many people loathe self-publicist former ref Mark Clattenburg but he had a couple of interesting ideas on time-wasting today on NBC Premier League coverage in USA. His proposed rule changes:

1) Warn player delaying throw-in and if delay continues, give throw-in to the other team like a Foul Throw.

2) Establish a 'six second rule' for taking corners and goal kicks. Like the current rule on how long keepers can pick up and hold on to the ball.

Thought those were reasonable suggestions. Of course, does not address feigned head injury stops in play. Can't think of a way round that given rightful worries about concussion.

I can understand stopping play for head injuries,but the Preston player went down holding his leg in the 2nd half and Bidwell stupidly put it out for a throw in.Let the ref decide when a player needs treatment.He was playing a game yesterday and we fell for it.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 07:48 - Jan 21 with 1386 viewssmegma

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 22:06 - Jan 20 by jtuck

Why is it always a 'former ref' who speaks out AFTER they've retired about the state of refereeing?
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 15:56 - Jan 21 with 1261 viewsPinnerPaul

Refereeing thoughts from Saturday

1) Yellow cards - really can't agree with Clive on Scowen's! It was more orange than yellow, took him out at knee height, although I did think late foul by PNE player on Pav (when he set up Eze 1st half) was also a yellow. Thought Furlong and Lynch yellow cards were as idiotic as the keep ball in the corner

2) 'Injuries' - Firstly there is NO mandatory 'head injury' stoppage in LOTG. Referees are supposed to stop play if , in their opinion a player is 'seriously' injured. Obviously that is more likely if the head is involved. Problem is - how is a referee, or anyone!, supposed to judge from a quick glance 20/30 yards away, while still trying to watch something else - the game! - if a player is seriously injured? However what referees at this level COULD do is enforce the current law that players can't be treated on the fop AND add the correct amount of time on at the end.

3) Time added on - Agree 4 mins seemed too little yesterday - I thought 5. Re above - our ref v Villa did NOT add on any time for our time wasting EXCEPT for the time added on to added time - see my exhaustive/anal/boring analysis on another thread from that game.

Lastly , as everyone has said, we wouldn't have won that game , if I had been refereeing it with my QPR shirt on!
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 17:07 - Jan 21 with 1230 viewsCamberleyR

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:23 - Jan 20 by smegma

Out of his brain.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 19:51 - Jan 21 with 1159 viewsQPR_John

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 15:56 - Jan 21 by PinnerPaul

Refereeing thoughts from Saturday

1) Yellow cards - really can't agree with Clive on Scowen's! It was more orange than yellow, took him out at knee height, although I did think late foul by PNE player on Pav (when he set up Eze 1st half) was also a yellow. Thought Furlong and Lynch yellow cards were as idiotic as the keep ball in the corner

2) 'Injuries' - Firstly there is NO mandatory 'head injury' stoppage in LOTG. Referees are supposed to stop play if , in their opinion a player is 'seriously' injured. Obviously that is more likely if the head is involved. Problem is - how is a referee, or anyone!, supposed to judge from a quick glance 20/30 yards away, while still trying to watch something else - the game! - if a player is seriously injured? However what referees at this level COULD do is enforce the current law that players can't be treated on the fop AND add the correct amount of time on at the end.

3) Time added on - Agree 4 mins seemed too little yesterday - I thought 5. Re above - our ref v Villa did NOT add on any time for our time wasting EXCEPT for the time added on to added time - see my exhaustive/anal/boring analysis on another thread from that game.

Lastly , as everyone has said, we wouldn't have won that game , if I had been refereeing it with my QPR shirt on!

What should a referee do if somebody runs onto the field of play. Are there any rules or is it just up to the official.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:50 - Jan 22 with 1052 viewsPinnerPaul

Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 19:51 - Jan 21 by QPR_John

What should a referee do if somebody runs onto the field of play. Are there any rules or is it just up to the official.

Its classed as 'outside interference' - if, as on Saturday, play not affected, then its play on.

If play IS affected, ie ball hits a dog, squirrel, nut case - then its stop play and a drop ball restart.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 10:19 - Jan 22 with 1036 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Always wondered where the extra time and time added on came from. Why not do the basketball thing? When time is up we just play on until the ball is out of play.
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 10:26 - Jan 22 with 1033 viewsessextaxiboy

The referee should carry a third card and raise it when he stops the clock and again when it restarts . Would stop over.long subs and goalkicks and would introduce consistency over time .
Todays referee and the rules around timewasting on 09:10 - Jan 23 with 919 viewsfrancisbowles

Better get them all to brush on on semaphore as well!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024