Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin - a chance? 10:10 - Jan 30 with 7766 viewsWestbourneR

Papers say Southampton want rid.

What's he on there do you reckon? 50K a week?

And if we return all our loans this summer and move on a couple on do you think we could move heaven and earth to bring him in?

[Dons hard hart for the enraged FFP pelters from the realists and better informed]

If there was even a chance... even a measured overspend and fine... I'd say it's worth it. He's 29 so he's not old and he'd fire us into the Prem and possibly even keep us there. He nearly managed it last time and we're a better run club now.

He can play up top on his own, great link man, heart of lion, Rangers legend and goals goals goals.

He's woefully under-rated and we should try and take advantage.

That said surely Burnley will be all over it. Warnock will probably like the look of him too.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 10:12 - Jan 30 with 4410 viewsRangersw12

More chance of us winning the Fa Cup than signing Austin
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 10:17 - Jan 30 with 4371 viewsLunarJetman

This post shows there is still a spectacular lack of awareness on our current situation from some fans....
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 10:31 - Jan 30 with 4313 viewsfrancisbowles

Even if it was a possibility who is going to take his position for the 50% ish of games that he is injured for.

No doubt his lone striker play has improved a bit since we let him go but it's not that great and he has always lacked pace. Great player around the box, always better when Zamora played with him.

So unaffordable, unreliable and not suited to the style of play that we adopt because of the abilities of the players we already have.
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 10:35 - Jan 30 with 4290 viewsPinnerPaul

We can't afford him and he won't come back but he still has very good (Top 10) GPM in his career stats.
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 10:41 - Jan 30 with 4268 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I always thinks it’s silly playing the wage guessing game, but even if it’s not here’s why I’m against this unlikely transfer:

- He’s always injured.

- We’ve no problems in the goal scoring department at the moment.

- He’d be taking minutes away from Oteh and Eze.

- We arn’t the same QPR he played for before. No guarentees it would work.

- I don’t want to risk having the memories ruined.

Same goes for Crouch.
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 11:09 - Jan 30 with 4189 viewssimmo

Even if we could afford it (which we can't), he doesn't want to come and we can't afford to pay an injury prone player. It doesn't work for either party in any way whatsoever.

I'd MUCH rather we try to find a way to get Wells signed up permanently, but again, that's unlikely.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 11:21 - Jan 30 with 4156 viewsCamberleyR

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 11:09 - Jan 30 by simmo

Even if we could afford it (which we can't), he doesn't want to come and we can't afford to pay an injury prone player. It doesn't work for either party in any way whatsoever.

I'd MUCH rather we try to find a way to get Wells signed up permanently, but again, that's unlikely.

I agree. A hypothetical situation, but if it was a straight choice of signing Austin or Wells permanently, it's Wells every day of the week.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 11:56 - Jan 30 with 4041 viewskensalriser

This is a level of delusion that even some Tory MPs would struggle to match. Impressive.

Is it April 1st?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 11:57 - Jan 30 with 4035 viewsLongsufferingR

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 10:31 - Jan 30 by francisbowles

Even if it was a possibility who is going to take his position for the 50% ish of games that he is injured for.

No doubt his lone striker play has improved a bit since we let him go but it's not that great and he has always lacked pace. Great player around the box, always better when Zamora played with him.

So unaffordable, unreliable and not suited to the style of play that we adopt because of the abilities of the players we already have.

Is that a no then?
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 12:25 - Jan 30 with 3944 viewsWestbourneR

Despite the disclaimers

[Dons hard hart for the enraged FFP pelters from the realists and better informed]

it happened anyway. As withering and sanctimonious bunch of replies as I might have expected.

I can see every gets pleasure in aping Northern's informed style on FFP like they thought of it.

Excuse me for allowing to dream. It's fun sometimes on a football fans message-board. I must remember to upload spreadsheets in future.

And anyone that thinks Nakhi Wells is better than Charlie Austin is so blind not only can they not see football they also can't read 10 years of goal scoring records.

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 12:34 - Jan 30 with 3911 viewsRBlock

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 12:25 - Jan 30 by WestbourneR

Despite the disclaimers

it happened anyway. As withering and sanctimonious bunch of replies as I might have expected.

I can see every gets pleasure in aping Northern's informed style on FFP like they thought of it.

Excuse me for allowing to dream. It's fun sometimes on a football fans message-board. I must remember to upload spreadsheets in future.

And anyone that thinks Nakhi Wells is better than Charlie Austin is so blind not only can they not see football they also can't read 10 years of goal scoring records.

So you have proposed an absolute non-starter, that has been explained previously that it is an absolute non-starter, and you're now having a moan because everybody has pointed out that it is a non-starter? Sound about right?

Maybe people aren't being withering and sanctimonious. Maybe it was just a stupid suggestion.
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 12:41 - Jan 30 with 3877 viewsWestbourneR

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 12:34 - Jan 30 by RBlock

So you have proposed an absolute non-starter, that has been explained previously that it is an absolute non-starter, and you're now having a moan because everybody has pointed out that it is a non-starter? Sound about right?

Maybe people aren't being withering and sanctimonious. Maybe it was just a stupid suggestion.

Yeah I got that.

I look forward to your fascinating posts in future.

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 12:44 - Jan 30 with 3858 viewsR_from_afar

Come on, people, give Westbourne a break here. It's great to dream about bringing in a player of that popularity and ability. There was even a disclaimer.

Tsk tsk.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 12:45 - Jan 30 with 3854 viewssimmo

Despite the disclaimers

I'm not really sure what you expected or how my response is deemed withering, but happy to be labelled as a realist that's better informed. Ta.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 13:23 - Jan 30 with 3730 viewskensalriser

I always dream of winning the lottery.

One day maybe I'll buy a ticket.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 13:27 - Jan 30 with 3707 viewsLondon_Pride

More importantly, did we manage to include any sell-on % provision when we did the deal with Southampton?
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 13:39 - Jan 30 with 3655 viewsJuzzie

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 13:27 - Jan 30 by London_Pride

More importantly, did we manage to include any sell-on % provision when we did the deal with Southampton?

We did, we have to give Southampton another £1m.

Coat......
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 13:58 - Jan 30 with 3579 viewsqprd

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 12:45 - Jan 30 by simmo

I'm not really sure what you expected or how my response is deemed withering, but happy to be labelled as a realist that's better informed. Ta.

its unrealistic in January b/c of the FFP embargo and its restrictions

but its certainly not unrealistic in the summer.

bear in mind we are paying the wages of two premier league strikers right now. if both went away in the summer, why do you think we'd be unable to pay for only one?

having said that, I don't think its advisable to sign Austin given the direction our club is going. but I wouldn't say its not realistic, bc its something we could easily pull off.

FFP does impose a restriction going forward on how much we can lose going forward. but given the recent prudence of the club, there is some wiggle room to lose money. ultimately, its not about FFP. its more that the owners are unwilling to continue sinking money into a loss generator
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 14:19 - Jan 30 with 3506 viewsMick_S

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 13:23 - Jan 30 by kensalriser

I always dream of winning the lottery.

One day maybe I'll buy a ticket.

I won a tenner in the postcode lottery last week.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 14:22 - Jan 30 with 3492 viewsterryb

Despite the disclaimers

Charlie Austin is better than Nakhi Wells?

He is certainly a better goalscorer, but a better player? I don't think so.

You would be back to what would suit the team better. A "fox in the box" or someone who can link up play & still score a few themselves?

So, even without the unaffordable financial position (applies to signing Wells also), the footballing answer to signing Austin is thanks for the memories, but you are not part of our future.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2019 14:25]
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 14:23 - Jan 30 with 3492 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 13:58 - Jan 30 by qprd

its unrealistic in January b/c of the FFP embargo and its restrictions

but its certainly not unrealistic in the summer.

bear in mind we are paying the wages of two premier league strikers right now. if both went away in the summer, why do you think we'd be unable to pay for only one?

having said that, I don't think its advisable to sign Austin given the direction our club is going. but I wouldn't say its not realistic, bc its something we could easily pull off.

FFP does impose a restriction going forward on how much we can lose going forward. but given the recent prudence of the club, there is some wiggle room to lose money. ultimately, its not about FFP. its more that the owners are unwilling to continue sinking money into a loss generator

Can't agree there - its everything to do with FFP.

The owners have been pumping money into a loss making company since day 1 and (with a few changes to the %s of individuals) still are.

Not sure I share your optimism that the club's 'prudence' not only makes up for the lack of parachute payments next season but that it also gives us some 'wriggle room'

Not seen or heard anything from the club to suggest that.

Back to op - Mr A, like all footballers will go wherever is best for him -usually who is going to pay the most - and we will be certainly a long way down that list - if we are even on it, which I very much doubt indeed.

Finally, sorry!, we don't KNOW that we ARE paying 100% of Wells and Hemed's costs, but we WOULD be paying 100% obviously, of anyone we actually buy.
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 14:38 - Jan 30 with 3447 viewsWestbourneR

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 14:22 - Jan 30 by terryb

Charlie Austin is better than Nakhi Wells?

He is certainly a better goalscorer, but a better player? I don't think so.

You would be back to what would suit the team better. A "fox in the box" or someone who can link up play & still score a few themselves?

So, even without the unaffordable financial position (applies to signing Wells also), the footballing answer to signing Austin is thanks for the memories, but you are not part of our future.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2019 14:25]

Cheers R from Afar. I needed a bit of back up.

Re Austin vs Wells - I'm amazed this is a debate. Like honestly flabbergasted. It seems, despite his heroics in both divisions for us, he's even under-rated by people at Rangers.

You don't score the goals he's scored for lower table clubs in the Premier League without being a very good player and far more than a fox in the box. He's excellent on the ball and his pace is illusive. The guy was knocking on the door of the England set up.

Not many players can strike and head a ball like Austin and he holds it up play simply and well. He rarely concedes possession.

Show me when Wells has made a dent on the Premier League? He's scored 6 goals for us in the Championship, 1 on 4 and now you're saying he's a BETTER player than Charlie Austin. That's just insane in fact it's just plain wrong.

Don't get me wrong I like Wells and he's a vast improvement on the goons we've had since Austin but he is not where near the striker Charlie is.

Charlie scored 45 goals in 82 games, more than one in two - for QPR. Get a grip mate.

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 14:40 - Jan 30 with 3439 viewsqprd

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 14:23 - Jan 30 by PinnerPaul

Can't agree there - its everything to do with FFP.

The owners have been pumping money into a loss making company since day 1 and (with a few changes to the %s of individuals) still are.

Not sure I share your optimism that the club's 'prudence' not only makes up for the lack of parachute payments next season but that it also gives us some 'wriggle room'

Not seen or heard anything from the club to suggest that.

Back to op - Mr A, like all footballers will go wherever is best for him -usually who is going to pay the most - and we will be certainly a long way down that list - if we are even on it, which I very much doubt indeed.

Finally, sorry!, we don't KNOW that we ARE paying 100% of Wells and Hemed's costs, but we WOULD be paying 100% obviously, of anyone we actually buy.

QPR lost 11m in 16, 6m in 17 (and probably something less in 18). These are the total losses on QPR's consolidated financial statements, so i'm probably double counting some losses which don't count towards FFP (i.e., academy, etc). but lets disregard this for the purposes of this hypothetical.

clubs can lose 39m over a 3 year period without breaching FFP. If we assume qpr will lose 6m in 18, that gives us a buffer of a 27m loss for 19/20. obviously it doesn't mean we should go out and lose 27m, because the losses are counted on a rolling three year basis. but it shows that we have more than enough wiggle room to buy players. I don't think signing Charlie Austin on a nominal fee and paying him 50k a week is really going to move the needle much.

as for the messaging from the club: of course the club isn't going to come out and say we have money to spend. its easier for owners to blame FFP regulations for not wanting to spend than to say they're tired of losing millions of pounds a year. just like its easier for Daniel levy to blame a new stadium for not spending money (even though the stadium was financed through alternative means).

finally, even if we conservatively assumed we're paying half of hemed and wells wages, that would have to be comparable to austins wages, no?

again, I'm not saying we should sign Austin. I don't think it fits with the direction the club is going in, and his best years may be past him.

I'm just saying that those who criticized WestbourneR for not understanding the FFP rules... ironically don't understand the FFP rules
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 14:44 - Jan 30 with 3422 viewssmegma

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 12:41 - Jan 30 by WestbourneR

Yeah I got that.

I look forward to your fascinating posts in future.

I doubt anyone looks forward to yours.
Charlie Austin - a chance? on 14:45 - Jan 30 with 3418 viewsWestbourneR

Charlie Austin - a chance? on 14:44 - Jan 30 by smegma

I doubt anyone looks forward to yours.

Ooooooooooo. Hello.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024