Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PC world gone mad (again!) 16:30 - Feb 3 with 5050 viewssmegma

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47107117
PC world gone mad (again!) on 16:56 - Feb 3 with 4171 viewsloftboy

Considering they still play in front of really low crowds and there is very little interest in people watching it on tv so generating less advertising income it’s hard to see where the money is gone by to come from, as someone who very occasionally got asked to ref the odd women’s game I found it almost a different sport, I realise that since then the game has evolved but until it’s of an equal standard then I disagree, as I do about Wimbledon where the women play fewer games.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

PC world gone mad (again!) on 17:45 - Feb 3 with 4075 viewsNW5Hoop

I really don't think a) it's PC gone mad or b) they really expect this to happen.

They're making a point: that the women's game won't develop and improve until it is treated with some similar degree of seriousness to the men's game. Most particularly, it won't improve until there is serious investment in it, because money is what improves training facilities; money is what allows players to concentrate on football full-time; money is what will attract the best coaches. They're saying to the FA: you can talk all you want about how important the women's game is, but those will be empty words unless you put some commitment behind it.

For what it's worth, I pay no attention to women's football right now. But tennis and athletics show that if you treat women's sport in a similar way to men's, it will get taken as seriously as men's. Wanting women's sport to be better isn't PC gone mad.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2019 18:08]
PC world gone mad (again!) on 18:06 - Feb 3 with 4037 viewsdanehoop

I thought that this thread was something to do with the electrical conglomerate that is Dixons, Currys, PC World, Car Phone Warehouse.

Never knowingly understood

PC world gone mad (again!) on 18:19 - Feb 3 with 4012 viewsTacticalR

After the Japan Women's team won the World Cup in 2011 they still had to fly economy while the Japan Men's team flew first class.

'They are world champions and brought hope to a nation reeling from a natural disaster, but Japan's female Olympic footballers had to make do with economy class seats during their gruelling flight to Europe this week, while the less celebrated men's team relaxed in business class.'

Japan's female athletes fly economy while men's team sit in business
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jul/19/japan-female-atheletes-economy-cla

Air hostess clique

PC world gone mad (again!) on 18:44 - Feb 3 with 3977 viewssmegma

PC world gone mad (again!) on 18:19 - Feb 3 by TacticalR

After the Japan Women's team won the World Cup in 2011 they still had to fly economy while the Japan Men's team flew first class.

'They are world champions and brought hope to a nation reeling from a natural disaster, but Japan's female Olympic footballers had to make do with economy class seats during their gruelling flight to Europe this week, while the less celebrated men's team relaxed in business class.'

Japan's female athletes fly economy while men's team sit in business
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jul/19/japan-female-atheletes-economy-cla

Flying Japan to Europe is not gruelling in the 21st century.
PC world gone mad (again!) on 18:50 - Feb 3 with 3962 viewsqprd

Lewes? A club in the 6th or 7th division? I wouldn’t project the words of a 7th division chairman as being reflective of anyone’s views but himself (let alone “the pc world”)
PC world gone mad (again!) on 19:24 - Feb 3 with 3911 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I prefer Currys anyway.

Other than that, this seems a weird thing to get upset about considering it impacts your life in almost zero ways.
PC world gone mad (again!) on 19:39 - Feb 3 with 3887 viewsSharpy36

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4389760/USA-women-s-team-suff

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Login to get fewer ads

PC world gone mad (again!) on 20:02 - Feb 3 with 3843 viewsPunteR

An easy dispute to solve. Just lower the wages of mens football to make things equal. Fairs fair.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

PC world gone mad (again!) on 09:17 - Feb 5 with 3481 viewsdodge_stoke_r

PC world gone mad (again!) on 17:45 - Feb 3 by NW5Hoop

I really don't think a) it's PC gone mad or b) they really expect this to happen.

They're making a point: that the women's game won't develop and improve until it is treated with some similar degree of seriousness to the men's game. Most particularly, it won't improve until there is serious investment in it, because money is what improves training facilities; money is what allows players to concentrate on football full-time; money is what will attract the best coaches. They're saying to the FA: you can talk all you want about how important the women's game is, but those will be empty words unless you put some commitment behind it.

For what it's worth, I pay no attention to women's football right now. But tennis and athletics show that if you treat women's sport in a similar way to men's, it will get taken as seriously as men's. Wanting women's sport to be better isn't PC gone mad.

You could pay them all £100k a week and women's football won't be taken seriously for a number of reasons. For me, the main two are:
1) Just because you put a teams name before the word women (Man City Women) doesn't mean that they will get the support of Man City supporters. Although they may be affiliated to the club, it just isn't Man City!
2) The standard is very poor, even at the top level. I'd put it on a par well below the regional National League standard. And certainly not "TV worthy"
PC world gone mad (again!) on 09:41 - Feb 5 with 3423 viewsSydneyRs

PC world gone mad (again!) on 17:45 - Feb 3 by NW5Hoop

They are doing better than men in tennis by getting paid the same for 60% of the work.
PC world gone mad (again!) on 10:11 - Feb 5 with 3362 viewsNW5Hoop

PC world gone mad (again!) on 09:41 - Feb 5 by SydneyRs

They are doing better than men in tennis by getting paid the same for 60% of the work.

Actually, no. Men only play five sets in grand slams and Davis Cup matches. At all other tournaments - the vast majority of them - they play three sets.
PC world gone mad (again!) on 10:12 - Feb 5 with 3357 viewsNW5Hoop

PC world gone mad (again!) on 09:17 - Feb 5 by dodge_stoke_r

You could pay them all £100k a week and women's football won't be taken seriously for a number of reasons. For me, the main two are:
1) Just because you put a teams name before the word women (Man City Women) doesn't mean that they will get the support of Man City supporters. Although they may be affiliated to the club, it just isn't Man City!
2) The standard is very poor, even at the top level. I'd put it on a par well below the regional National League standard. And certainly not "TV worthy"

And what do you think one of the main reasons for it being poor is? It's the lack of investment in women's football. That's precisely what they're asking for.
PC world gone mad (again!) on 10:20 - Feb 5 with 3340 viewsWestbourneR

PC world gone mad (again!) on 18:44 - Feb 3 by smegma

Flying Japan to Europe is not gruelling in the 21st century.

Fundamentally missing the point then.

What a surprise.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

PC world gone mad (again!) on 12:07 - Feb 5 with 3264 viewsrobith

PC world gone mad (again!) on 09:41 - Feb 5 by SydneyRs

Women used to play 5 sets, but some men decided it was too much for their feeble bodies. The top players welcome a change but the establishment powers won't change it
PC world gone mad (again!) on 13:05 - Feb 5 with 3198 viewsPinnerPaul

I officiate on a lot of Women's football and being a physical sport its never going to be the same as the men's game.

You can put as much investment in Women's athletics as you like and they will always run slower, throw less far and jump less far than men - its just a biological fact.

However, obviously, women's athletics is as enjoyable to watch as the mens.

Women's football IS slower than the mens and football being a physical game - that difference in noticeable.

The Australian women's team played a boys Under 14s team and got heavily beaten - as far as physicality goes that's about where they are at - throwing more money at the sport isn't going to change that.

However at the levels I do:- steps 3 and 4 - and at the levels above - the championship and Super League the games can be enjoyable to watch. Technically the women are fine and are improving - its just slower.

As for TV it IS on TV - the BBC show the women's tournaments and there is a Womens 'MOTD' on Sundays.

It IS improving all the time and more money would improve it further but it will never be on a par with the men's game and its a pipe dream to even try.

Its just has to be accepted for what it is.
PC world gone mad (again!) on 13:24 - Feb 5 with 3155 viewskingsburyR

Im still trying to get my head around Sky rolling out Alex Scott week in week out as the main pundit while rotating the men.

That is PC gone nuts. She's very pleasing on the eye but comes up well short when put with the likes of Souness.

I get she has 100+ caps for England but wouldn't know the game much better then if a male player from Hendon was asked to join the panel!
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 13:42]

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

PC world gone mad (again!) on 13:48 - Feb 5 with 3093 viewsloftboy

“I get she has 100+ caps for England but wouldn't know the game much better then if a male player from Hendon was asked to join the panel!”

This ^.
Match of the day 2 is just as bad.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

PC world gone mad (again!) on 14:06 - Feb 5 with 3056 viewsHayesender

PC world gone mad (again!) on 13:24 - Feb 5 by kingsburyR

Im still trying to get my head around Sky rolling out Alex Scott week in week out as the main pundit while rotating the men.

That is PC gone nuts. She's very pleasing on the eye but comes up well short when put with the likes of Souness.

I get she has 100+ caps for England but wouldn't know the game much better then if a male player from Hendon was asked to join the panel!

And of course, the panel for the women's six nations was all women

Poll: Shamima Beghum

PC world gone mad (again!) on 14:12 - Feb 5 with 3050 viewsrsonist

PC world gone mad (again!) on 13:48 - Feb 5 by loftboy

“I get she has 100+ caps for England but wouldn't know the game much better then if a male player from Hendon was asked to join the panel!”

This ^.
Match of the day 2 is just as bad.

Rubbish. She says exactly the same bland cliches as Redknapp, Jenas and the rest of them.
PC world gone mad (again!) on 15:06 - Feb 5 with 3002 viewsWestbourneR

PC world gone mad (again!) on 14:12 - Feb 5 by rsonist

Rubbish. She says exactly the same bland cliches as Redknapp, Jenas and the rest of them.

I think Jenas come across as a smart lad and good pundit.

He was probably too clever to run around as much as he needed to when he was playing.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

PC world gone mad (again!) on 14:13 - Feb 6 with 2749 viewsTearsofrage

Interesting that this P C development originates from little Lewes - famed for the even-handedness connected with the celebration of anti-Catholic persecution on Guy Fawkes Night. If a gang of the Wee Free burned effigies of the Pope then, quite rightly, there would be outrage but because a crowd of affluent Sussex citizens find it inspiring and patriotic. it becomes acceptable. I suggest the good burghers of Sussex, male and female, get their own backyard in order before pontificating on injustice.
PC world gone mad (again!) on 14:56 - Feb 6 with 2674 viewsWadR

PC world gone mad (again!) on 13:24 - Feb 5 by kingsburyR

The same Souness who asked her 'what a low block' was on Super Sunday and then when politely informed what it meant by Scott, patronisingly corrected her, calling it 'defending deep'?

Thought that exchange aptly summed up both. Scott - articulate and using contemporary tactical terminology, Souness - churlish and out of touch.

Scott was good during the World Cup imo, unlike a lot of her male colleagues, she actually seemed to have researched the teams and players ahead of the match rather than just a quick scan of the teamsheet to see if they recognise any premier league players.
PC world gone mad (again!) on 15:03 - Feb 6 with 2656 viewskensalriser

PC world gone mad (again!) on 14:13 - Feb 6 by Tearsofrage

Interesting that this P C development originates from little Lewes - famed for the even-handedness connected with the celebration of anti-Catholic persecution on Guy Fawkes Night. If a gang of the Wee Free burned effigies of the Pope then, quite rightly, there would be outrage but because a crowd of affluent Sussex citizens find it inspiring and patriotic. it becomes acceptable. I suggest the good burghers of Sussex, male and female, get their own backyard in order before pontificating on injustice.

I think the burning of Guy Fawkes effigies may not be strictly limited to Lewes, in fact it's a widespread practice with quite a long history.

Good stab at false equivalence, though.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

PC world gone mad (again!) on 15:21 - Feb 6 with 2619 viewsstevec

PC world gone mad (again!) on 12:07 - Feb 5 by robith

Women used to play 5 sets, but some men decided it was too much for their feeble bodies. The top players welcome a change but the establishment powers won't change it

Basically, one huge woman one end beats the hell out the skinny one the other end.

It's boring enough watching a 3 set womens tennis match, no more please.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024